PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever put down one of those Garage Floor epoxy kits

JustMVG
07-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I am thinking of putting one of those roll on epoxy floors and just wanted to see what experiences some of you have had and the pros and cons of doing this.
Thanks Mike

76ANTHONY
07-29-2006, 10:56 AM
I am thinking of putting one of those roll on epoxy floors and just wanted to see what experiences some of you have had and the pros and cons of doing this.
Thanks Mike
the only thing that makes it a problem is the floor being clean, they are very easy to do, just takes alot of time.awsome floor though :)

squirt'nmyload
07-29-2006, 10:59 AM
i have the stuff to do mine, but i've been putting it off cause its too fockin hot. but yes, i was told to make sure it is really clean first.

Boatmaster
07-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Ditto, it is all in the prep. Laying it down is a snap and it looks great. Just watch the short video and go overkill on the prep.

Beer-30
07-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Don't get the cheapie Rustoleum kit. You'll be doing it again....and again.
Go with a well known company that specializes in just that. U-Coat-It is an all in one kit with cleaner. You can order lots of colors.
http://www.ucoatit.com/

76ANTHONY
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Don't get the cheapie Rustoleum kit. You'll be doing it again....and again.
Go with a well known company that specializes in just that. U-Coat-It is an all in one kit with cleaner. You can order lots of colors.
http://www.ucoatit.com/
this is the one i used, dam didnt remember the name. awsome kit and great directions, not that i used them cause im a guy and all :crossx:

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2006, 11:15 AM
The floor has to be a whole new defination of clean before you begin to apply,
clean beyond reason.
It looks awsum.
Some suggest thow some sand in to make it no slip,, that sux, it looks like crap if ya do that.

76ANTHONY
07-29-2006, 11:16 AM
The floor has to be a whole new defination of clean before you begin to apply,
clean beyond reason.
It looks awsum.
Some suggest thow some sand in to make it no slip,, that sux, it looks like crap if ya do that.
and sand makes it bubble...

YeLLowBoaT
07-29-2006, 11:33 AM
like everything else in painting prep is 90% of the work.
Use muriatic acid( depending on strength you mave have to delute it) to clean the floors. If needed get a 3500 psi power washer to littlerly blow off a thin laywer of cement in the places you can't get clean chemically.

funkybunchjr
07-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I have heard that you can't park a car with hot tires on flooring like that, is this true, or is that a problem with the cheaper kits?

YeLLowBoaT
07-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I have heard that you can't park a car with hot tires on flooring like that, is this true, or is that a problem with the cheaper kits?
with the cheap stuff... that might be true. With the good/industrail stuff I woudl think the tire would melt b4 you did damage to the floor. Also some brands have a 30day "dry time" b4 you can park a car on it if you want to keep your warrenty.

RitcheyRch
07-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I've heard the same thing.

JustMVG
07-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks Guys i knew i could count on the HBF folks to help out!!!

HefeRaton
07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
If you want a good floor that will take any abuse don't buy those garage kits.
You can spend a few dollars more and get an epoxy floor kit from Frazee or ICI that will last and hold up to anything you do to it. Frazee ask for their Amerlock 400 and if you want it bullet proof ask for the Amershield top coat. The Amershield will make it slippery. A s far as ICI ask for their Devoe Bar Rust, that stuff I use on hangar floors and have never had a problem with it. Prep is the key, bead blats if you can, but if you want to just acid etch make sure you rinse it real well. After you let the floor dry take a piece of plastic, sandwich bag will work, and tape it to the floor. Make sure the plastic is completely taped down so no air can get to the surface. Leave it there 10-12 hours and then pull it off and check for any moisture. If it is a little damp let the floor dry longer and then repeat this step.

TCHB
07-29-2006, 04:59 PM
This past month I put on Epoxy 2 part Garage Floor Paint on my new garage floor in Havasu. It looks great and I feel it will hold up. I had a couple of drops on the concrete outside the garage and I had to actually chip it off with a chisel. My garage area is a little over 1500 Sq. Feet. I bought the material from Home Depot.

TCHB
07-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Here is the product I used on my floor in gray silver.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=59&SBL=1

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2006, 06:24 PM
You can spend a few dollars more and get an epoxy floor kit from Frazee or ICI that will last and hold up to anything you do to it. Frazee ask for their Amerlock 400 and if you want it bullet proof ask for the Amershield top coat. The Amershield will make it slippery. A s far as ICI ask for their Devoe Bar Rust, that stuff I use on hangar floors and have never had a problem with it. Prep is the key, bead blats if you can, but if you want to just acid etch make sure you rinse it real well. After you let the floor dry take a piece of plastic, sandwich bag will work, and tape it to the floor. Make sure the plastic is completely taped down so no air can get to the surface. Leave it there 10-12 hours and then pull it off and check for any moisture. If it is a little damp let the floor dry longer and then repeat this step.
Frazzee is also sold under the Sears brand name and ya might find it on sale.
Got excellent reviews in Consumer Reports.

sleekcraft137
07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
If you want something that will accually hold up then don't get the rustolem or Behr one part, go to your local ICI Paints store and pick up "DevFloor" Its as tough as nails, Its the same stuff that Boeing and a few other areospace companies use on their floors.

Havasu1986
07-29-2006, 06:52 PM
I had mine installed thru Home Depot. I called the 800 # and made a appt. with the rustoleum rep and I could not be happier. It was like 4 days with no cars and 2 days for no heavy stuff (tool box, washer dryer). I wish they offered it in Havi.

Ivan Dan
07-29-2006, 07:22 PM
PM Newcastle on here....he just did this a couple months ago.

Chico&Zeus
07-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Did the floor in the last house, got the product from a guy that works for one of my subcontractors. The product was by Tnemec and we were using it for a chemical containment area on one of the water plants we were building. Anyway, I traded this guy a speaker box for his truck for a five gallon kit (an awsome deal for me!!!) I prepped the floor with acid and pressure washed it. Masked the baseboards and rolled the product on. I then put sand in the area between the cars and to the door that enters the house. In all, the product was outstanding, and knowing that it was impervious to oils, acids, caustics and heavy impacts made the whole project seem that much better. Industrial coatings will outlast the house that is build on them, spend the extra bucks and skip Home Depot or Lowes.

RiverOtter
07-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks Mike
Dam Mikey! I am getting ready to do the same thing :idea: . But I don't have any cool toys like you and Mr Jones :cry:

OCMerrill
07-30-2006, 05:22 AM
If you want something that will accually hold up then don't get the rustolem or Behr one part, go to your local ICI Paints store and pick up "DevFloor" Its as tough as nails, Its the same stuff that Boeing and a few other areospace companies use on their floors.
x2 :)
Dont buy the single stage Home Depot kit as you will not be happy with the end product. They do not work unless you never park a car on the floor. They should not even sell it. Crap!
I have done the U-coat-it kit once and that turned out excellent. For 3x the money you get 10x the end result.

TCHB
07-30-2006, 05:35 AM
The two part epoxy from Home Depot worked so far. I have parked a Jeep, Suburban, and boat on it and no hot tire pick up at all. I would think most 2 part epoxy garage floor paints are pretty much the same if you look at the chemical make up.

jbone
08-01-2006, 08:45 PM
I concur.
This is great stuff.
I paid 1800 for 650 sq feet from a professional. Later, me and my byddy did his garage with the Frazee stuff for about 9 hundred. It looks just as good.
He had a hard time finding the paint chips to give the marble affect.
J

YeLLowBoaT
08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I concur.
This is great stuff.
I paid 1800 for 650 sq feet from a professional. Later, me and my byddy did his garage with the Frazee stuff for about 9 hundred. It looks just as good.
He had a hard time finding the paint chips to give the marble affect.
J
damn thats cheap... I am at $4.00 a foot.

DILLIGAF
08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
I have that on my floor in the garage in BH. The guy said he put 7 coats on and it looks great and holds up to the hot tires, etc. I just power spray it from time to time to keep it clean.

jbone
08-01-2006, 09:08 PM
damn thats cheap... I am at $4.00 a foot.
I know. I was shopping around and 4 bucks was about the going rate. Then this guy just happened to show up. He was just starting out, but he took me to some houses he had just done. They looked great so I let him do it.
After moving all my stuff to the side of the house, he used a grinder on the floor to "open the pores", then pressure washed it. When it was dry he primed it. After 2 days to dry, he applied 1 coat of gray epoxy. When that dried, he applied another coat with the paint chips.
Then he applied 2 coats of clear. 1 week later, he returned to move everthing back into the garage.
Based on the price of the product, he probably only made 1-200 bucks.
It looks great, but you better wipe up any spills or you are askin' for a broken ass, if you know what I mean.
J

ultra27jay
08-01-2006, 09:21 PM
im having mine done in havi this week. my guy is charging $2.25 a square foot. he said with all the prep work it gonna take about a week to complete ill take some pics when its done.

LHC Kirby
08-01-2006, 10:01 PM
im having mine done in havi this week. my guy is charging $2.25 a square foot. he said with all the prep work it gonna take about a week to complete ill take some pics when its done.
Interested in seeing the finished product - tell your installer - I have 1543 sq. ft that needs it in Havasu.

YeLLowBoaT
08-02-2006, 06:25 AM
I know. I was shopping around and 4 bucks was about the going rate. Then this guy just happened to show up. He was just starting out, but he took me to some houses he had just done. They looked great so I let him do it.
After moving all my stuff to the side of the house, he used a grinder on the floor to "open the pores", then pressure washed it. When it was dry he primed it. After 2 days to dry, he applied 1 coat of gray epoxy. When that dried, he applied another coat with the paint chips.
Then he applied 2 coats of clear. 1 week later, he returned to move everthing back into the garage.
Based on the price of the product, he probably only made 1-200 bucks.
It looks great, but you better wipe up any spills or you are askin' for a broken ass, if you know what I mean.
J
Damn your talking about $15 a foot for all that... :crossx:
what I do is :
you get every thing out.
1 sweep/vac
2 mask the walls and crap
3 use the "wash" tip on the presure washer( just reg water)
4 scrub with a tsp solution and wash it off
5 acid wash
6 use the wash tip again
6a blast away any spots still remaining ( littlerly blowing away the cement)
7 let dry
8 sweap up one more time.
9 ( depending on product) Apply product to the floor.
you put every thing back.
It runs from about 1.25-2.00 a foot for material costs.
For a normal garage( depending on product) its a 3- 5 day deal.

Jesster
08-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Has anybody tried this stuff from Sams club Supercoat Super Kit w/Glaze Coat (http://www.supercoat.us/products.htm) I've been considering it for a while now but havent pulled the trigger. Cost works out to about 3.60 sq/ft. The kit includes floor prep products and non-slip aggregate. You can get the decorative flakes as an option. Here is the Sams link Sam's (http://samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=112173)

ultra27jay
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Interested in seeing the finished product - tell your installer - I have 1543 sq. ft that needs it in Havasu.
i will do that. i will be in havi this weekend checking his work. i will post from the house sat.

jbone
08-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Damn your talking about $15 a foot for all that... :crossx:
what I do is :
you get every thing out.
1 sweep/vac
2 mask the walls and crap
3 use the "wash" tip on the presure washer( just reg water)
4 scrub with a tsp solution and wash it off
5 acid wash
6 use the wash tip again
6a blast away any spots still remaining ( littlerly blowing away the cement)
7 let dry
8 sweap up one more time.
9 ( depending on product) Apply product to the floor.
you put every thing back.
It runs from about 1.25-2.00 a foot for material costs.
For a normal garage( depending on product) its a 3- 5 day deal.
To be honest, I don't think he planned on doing everything he quoted. I also don't think he planned on me watched every step in the process. He seemed pretty unhappy at the end of the job, but I just ensured he did everything he wrote on the contract.
If it matters, it was a brand new floor.
J

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Whats the difference in cost of this stuff compared to having someone come out at coat the floor with Line-X?

Dan Lorenze
08-04-2006, 05:56 AM
When we bought our house the first thing I did was painted the garages with the Behr epoxy from Home Depot. I won't bore you with it all but I prepped,degreased,etched,bonded and top coated the floors with patience and care, I even called the Behr hotline just to get some tips.. I took my time and figured if there's gonna be someone with a success story on their garage floor is was gonna be my anal self... I allowed all the proper times between the bonding and top coats (by the book).
A week later my wife drove on to the floor with wet tires from the rain the crap pulled off on to the tires the next morning. if I were to do it again I would have a pro come out and stain it or use a professional bonding system. The crap at Home Depot just doesn't work as good as they say..

probablecause
08-04-2006, 06:03 AM
We had a company come out and do it. It was about 1200.00 for our 20x22 Garage Floor.
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/garagefloor.jpg

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Looks nice. How long ago was that done.
We had a company come out and do it. It was about 1200.00 for our 20x22 Garage Floor.
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/garagefloor.jpg

Kiddunot
08-04-2006, 06:17 AM
I had mine installed thru Home Depot. I called the 800 # and made a appt. with the rustoleum rep and I could not be happier. It was like 4 days with no cars and 2 days for no heavy stuff (tool box, washer dryer). I wish they offered it in Havi.
If you dont mind me asking what was the total cost for what you did????

Waist Deep
08-04-2006, 06:26 AM
If you want it installed with a real epoxy, not water based, send me a pm. I can do it with whatever color,chips,glitter, unless you just want the run of the mill floor. Just did one for a client in BHC with a gray base, red and black chips and glitter. Looks bitchen.

stompnstang
08-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks Mike
i did the 4 bays in my old shop and the key is make sure its VERY clean once you think its clean scrub it once more i am good friends with a guy that sells the stuff and he told me 10 times over and over if its not clean then it will not have a good turn out.. i worked all the oil spots out serveral times then got it nice and clean turned out reallly nice and held up great you will love the finsh good luck

MOBrien
08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Whats the difference in cost of this stuff compared to having someone come out at coat the floor with Line-X?
interesting idea. I'd be curious to know how well would that stuff adheres to concrete though? Those spray-on liners are polyurethane aren't they?

Havasu1986
08-04-2006, 10:12 AM
If you dont mind me asking what was the total cost for what you did????
I paid around $3.50 a foot and that was with the granite look at H.D.

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Not sure of the material but have seen them install the stuff on brick buildings for the military so can only assume would work on a concrete floor.
interesting idea. I'd be curious to know how well would that stuff adheres to concrete though? Those spray-on liners are polyurethane aren't they?

sleekcraft137
08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
When we bought our house the first thing I did was painted the garages with the Behr epoxy from Home Depot. I won't bore you with it all but I prepped,degreased,etched,bonded and top coated the floors with patience and care, I even called the Behr hotline just to get some tips.. I took my time and figured if there's gonna be someone with a success story on their garage floor is was gonna be my anal self... I allowed all the proper times between the bonding and top coats (by the book).
A week later my wife drove on to the floor with wet tires from the rain the crap pulled off on to the tires the next morning. if I were to do it again I would have a pro come out and stain it or use a professional bonding system. The crap at Home Depot just doesn't work as good as they say..I deal with BEHR paint on a daily basis, and i can't tell ya how mny stories like that I have heard. If you do go with a 1 part epoxy, you need to let it cure out FULLY 30 days MIN!! before you drive on it.
Your best bet is to go with Devoe coatings (DEVFLOOR) the stuff is CRAZYASS strong. PM me if you need anymore info on any type of coatings.

probablecause
08-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Looks nice. How long ago was that done.
Almost a year and a half. A lot more durable than I thought it would be.

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Excellent and good to hear. One more thing need to get done to the house.
Almost a year and a half. A lot more durable than I thought it would be.