PDA

View Full Version : what happened to Rawhide?

taylormanss
07-29-2006, 04:49 PM
I was just wondering while I was watching my favorite elvis movie which would be clambake,whatever happened to the two boats that were in the movie,the scarlet lady was driven by bill bixby, and Rawhide was driven by elvis does anyone know what happened to these boats??????????

hottrodder
07-29-2006, 05:08 PM
I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya :) We all know Lou died when he crashed that boat while racing at Elsinore. Rumor is it's still 'around' under cover.

obnoxious001
07-30-2006, 12:20 AM
There was a series of "Rawhide" boats if I am not wrong. Carson may know the where-abouts of some of them. The damaged Mandella that Elvis supposedly built into the boat he raced was around in So Cal years ago. I looked at buying it when I was much younger, but decided to stay away from it when I found out which boat it was. Lou's co driver, and our family friend, Barry Chase, did much of the driving of Rawhide in that movie.

LeE ss13
07-31-2006, 06:16 AM
The boat that was being repaired in the movie was a boat that came off the trailer and hit a telephone pole and was being repaired at Mandella. The boat Lou crash in, back in 1972, broke in half and was later repaired. Up until that time it was the only one that had. Don't know where it is.

hottrodder
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Obnoxious got me thinking about the 'series of Rawhides' concept and I remebered Miss Mandella. I know renaming boats is taboo but was Miss Mandella renamed Rawhide?

boat 569
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
I've got some old pictures somewhere of me sitting in the rawhide boat at miami marine stadium. I was only 4 or 5 years old. My dad used to race SS and was at the races in miami when some of the movie footage was shot. He took a bunch of pictures.

taylormanss
08-01-2006, 08:11 AM
the only reason I asked was because I've been think about looking for a circle boat from that era and restoring it.

CircleJerk
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Cool,,,,,restore away! Finding a long deck may be a tad difficult though.

Norseman
08-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Obnoxious got me thinking about the 'series of Rawhides' concept and I remebered Miss Mandella. I know renaming boats is taboo but was Miss Mandella renamed Rawhide?
It's OK to rename a boat if you have a renaming ceremony.
Renaming (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm)

obnoxious001
08-11-2006, 02:31 PM
The boat that was being repaired in the movie was a boat that came off the trailer and hit a telephone pole and was being repaired at Mandella. The boat Lou crash in, back in 1972, broke in half and was later repaired. Up until that time it was the only one that had. Don't know where it is.
I suppose the real way to get the best answers would be to call Carson.
I am reasonably sure that there were both short deck and long deck "Rawhide" boats, and that the crash was prior to 1972, since I was in college by that time. I found this about the 1970 Elsinore race http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580
My parents had been at that Elsinore race, my dad was on the crew. I don't recall why my brother, sister and myself were not along that weekend, but I am sure it was better that way for us kids anyway. Powerboat had a full page image of him with the quote "He died doing what he loved to do".

taylormanss
08-15-2006, 09:08 AM
bump

68campbell
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I do believe one of the boats is/was owned by a former ski racer. Barry, if you pm me I will tell you who has it.

Her454
08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
This is pretty cool, I had no idea that was the boat from the Elvis movie. Quite a history all the way around.

haulina29
08-16-2006, 12:41 PM
If you are refering to the Rawhide that Jimmy Louis has or had its not real but its cool .

obnoxious001
08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
If you are refering to the Rawhide that Jimmy Louis has or had its not real but its cool .
Right, Jimmy and I talked about it a few times,, cool longdeck boat, but not the correct rootbeer color. He originally bought that boat for a song!

hottrodder
08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Rawhide was more than just a long deck. It was a single center seater. I can't remember if CB told me that was a whole deck piece or an insert for the long deck.
http://www.tonkoorevaar.be/Elvis%20wallpaper/wallpaper3/bkg_157_clambake.jpg
I do however remember asking both CB and Andy if there were any still around and they told me no but maybe they were holding back.
What I really want to know is what happened to that Duntov proto he drove in the opening and closing scenes. At the end when he's sitting at the stop light and they pan away....What a great rake.