PDA

View Full Version : System Advice for a stereo dummy

Coach
07-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok here is the system I am looking at doing for my new boat. I want to see if all of the power ratings will work and if the way I am going to power my boat will work as well. Any advice or comments are welcome. BTW the stuff is all Alpine because that is what my boat dealer gets the best prices on.
Alpine 9857 Head Unit
3 pair Alpine R series 6.5 Components 70 RMS
2 Alpine Type R 12” Subs 750 RMS
2 Alpine MRD M1001 for Subs 700 x1 RMS 4 ohms at 14.4
Alpine MRV F545 for 3 pair of components 125x4 RMS 4 ohms at 14.4
Alpine MRV F545 for Tower 250x2 at 2 ohms
Fusion P-Series 200 RMS 2 ohms
The RMS ratings are what I am not sure about. My thought is that I will not hit the capasity because I will not be at 14.4 when the system is running.
As for power this becomes the tricky part.
For batteries I want to run 4 Trojan 6V AGM. That will give me 400 Ah and they will fit in the boat without too many problems
I want a shore charger built in.
For now and the way I leave my boat in the water during my trips so I need a way to charge on board while running the boat. I want to do a second HO Alternator using a Balmar Regulator. http://www.balmar.net/ This will let me run one Alt to the starting Battery and the other for the battery bank for the stereo. The problems I see are new bracket, new pullies for the Alternators. The other option is a HO (210) Alternator with the Balmar Regulator and Duo Charger. Which will also require a dual pully for the Alternator. The Balmar products will let me smart charge my batteries while running the boat. I see this as a safer option than a Genny system, and a safer option of running a long power cord from the shore to my boat over the water. The other problem I run into is I like to use my last day on the water being on the water then I put my boat into storage. The only time I charge the batteries is when I bring it home or if I get in late and charge them up overnight before I launch the boat. I figure this system will let me keep them charged up to a decent level before I store them. I do realize I will need to run the boat for at least an hour to get any sort of good charge back on the batteries.
If not I will go with a Cascade 75 with smart charger and Honda Genny.
Either or both systems will cost some $$$ to set up correctly.
Let me know if I am going down the right or wrong path. All of your input has been great and apprecitated.
Thanx!

TRUMP TIGHT
07-29-2006, 10:31 PM
You are going to want more highs! You dont want to run into distortion probs because your trying to get more volume then your system was built for.

Coach
07-30-2006, 09:12 AM
You are going to want more highs! You dont want to run into distortion probs because your trying to get more volume then your system was built for.
Do you suggest another set of components and another amp for the components. I could run 4 pair of R-Series Components and 2 MRV 345's at 75 RMS @ 4 Ohms 14.4.

phebus
07-30-2006, 09:51 AM
My advice to you, would be to not get so brand specific, regardless of what your boat dealer gets the best price on. Keep in mind that you are putting together a component system, so choose the best components that combine to make up a great system.
The Alpine 9857 is a great head unit, especially if you are planning to use an iPod in your system.
The new Alpine PDX amps are really nice from what I hear, and they have a small footprint, run fairly cool, and draw less energy then their predecessors. Also consider JL, which many here on the boards are running with great success.
The weak link in the system you are proposing (in my opinion) would be your choice of speakers. I personally have run the R series Alpines, and they didn't stand up to the abuse I gave them, and when I replaced them, I realized they didn't sound as good as other speakers out there either. Do a search , and see what others are reccomending, such as Focal, MB Quart, Polk, JL, etc. Also, the JL subs are hard to beat.
Good luck, and I'm sure it will sound great when you are done.

Coach
07-30-2006, 12:41 PM
My advice to you, would be to not get so brand specific, regardless of what your boat dealer gets the best price on. Keep in mind that you are putting together a component system, so choose the best components that combine to make up a great system.
The Alpine 9857 is a great head unit, especially if you are planning to use an iPod in your system.
The new Alpine PDX amps are really nice from what I hear, and they have a small footprint, run fairly cool, and draw less energy then their predecessors. Also consider JL, which many here on the boards are running with great success.
The weak link in the system you are proposing (in my opinion) would be your choice of speakers. I personally have run the R series Alpines, and they didn't stand up to the abuse I gave them, and when I replaced them, I realized they didn't sound as good as other speakers out there either. Do a search , and see what others are reccomending, such as Focal, MB Quart, Polk, JL, etc. Also, the JL subs are hard to beat.
Good luck, and I'm sure it will sound great when you are done.
Thanks for the input. I am looking into the JL subs and amps as well as the kicker solobaric L7 12"

TRUMP TIGHT
07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Do you suggest another set of components and another amp for the components. I could run 4 pair of R-Series Components and 2 MRV 345's at 75 RMS @ 4 Ohms 14.4.
I suggest you run as many sets of highs as you can. Boats are very open and acoustically they pretty much suck so you lose some of your sound to the environment. So, do you have a tower with a set of speakers in it? Like stated above look into some other brands. JL's 6.5 components are now integrated so you dont have to mount 2 speakers. If you run JL's you can run a 5 channel amp that can cover 2 sets of speakers and a 12. Im sure other brands you can set up this way but i know how the JL set up sounds and it is clean. Personally i really like the deep clean bass the kickers put out. Make sure you go a little bigger then you think you should to make sure you are really happy with it.