PDA

View Full Version : Question for BoatCop...

HavasuSelect
07-29-2006, 06:45 PM
.....Or anyone else that might be able to help. I drive a truck and I wanted to know if it was legal to transport open bottles of alcohol in the cab. Or do I have to put them in the bed? I have a sliding rear window (I don't know if that factors into the equation). Thank you in advance!

Her454
07-29-2006, 06:47 PM
.....Or anyone else that might be able to help. I drive a truck and I wanted to know if it was legal to transport open bottles of alcohol in the cab. Or do I have to put them in the bed? I have a sliding rear window (I don't know if that factors into the equation). Thank you in advance!
OPEN BOTTLES of Alcohol? Are you serious? I do believe that is considered Open Container and as illegal as it can get.

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Any alcohol in a broken package (meaning seal broken) in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle is illegal.
I don't know if it's true, but years ago I heard stories of the CHP arresting a Scoutmaster who had bags of crushed soda and beer cans in the back seat of his car, going to the recycling center with scouts.

YeLLowBoaT
07-29-2006, 06:51 PM
I think he means driving with something that was open.( ie half empt bottle of whine from a resterant or somthing simlar....atleast I hope that is what he means.)
Personally why take a chance put it in the bed.( if we are talking about what I said a line up)

HavasuSelect
07-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info... I'm assuming it's legal to carry it in the bed. I'll just have to carry around a cooler or something.

HavasuSelect
07-29-2006, 06:54 PM
I think he means driving with something that was open.( ie half empt bottle of whine from a resterant or somthing simlar....atleast I hope that is what he means.)
Personally why take a chance put it in the bed.( if we are talking about what I said a line up)
Thats exactly what I was talking about.

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
AZ just passed a new law allowing restaurants to give unfinished bottles of wine to diners who didn't finish them with their meal.
Prior to that, Arizona Liquor laws prohibited people from taking ANY open bottles of booze from a licensed premises. Customers either had to leave what was left, or drink it all, which could lead to people consuming more than they would have, and possibly driving drunk.
However, restaurants are required to place the bottle in a semi-permanently sealed bag, where it would be obvious if opened, if the customer wants to take the bottle with them.
That only applies to restaurants that serve wine with meals. It's still illegal to take open beer, booze, drinks, etc. from bars or other licensees.

Havasu1986
07-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Say your in Havi and didn't finish a bottle of Ketel One and you didn't want to throw it away. Can you put it your luggage, bag etc. for the trip home.

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Say your in Havi and didn't finish a bottle of Ketel One and you didn't want to throw it away. Can you put it your luggage, bag etc. for the trip home.
If a Restaurant lets you take it, they must seal it up before you leave the premises.
If it's left over from a private party, or your hotel room, it can't be anywhere in the passenger compartment. Whether in luggage or wrapped in a brown paper bag, it's illegal.

Perfect Mixer
07-29-2006, 08:59 PM
If a Restaurant lets you take it, they must seal it up before you leave the premises.
If it's left over from a private party, or your hotel room, it can't be anywhere in the passenger compartment. Whether in luggage or wrapped in a brown paper bag, it's illegal.
So where do you put it in a suburban or the like? I've always wondered where to transport the leftovers in my Yukon.

GunninGopher
07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
So where do you put it in a suburban or the like? I've always wondered where to transport the leftovers in my Yukon.
I'm pretty sure if you just keep it put away and don't drive drunk it will never be a problem. We have gallons of "open containers" in my motorhome, since my wife will decide to make 1 type of drink on a trip, make a couple, and now we have 3/4 of a bottle sitting there waiting for her to get back to it.
I'm not worried about it. I can't believe that a LEO would bust me for that, since I'm not driving drunk or having anyone in the cab drinking.

HavasuSelect
07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

Boatcop
07-30-2006, 06:50 AM
I was wondering the same thing.
For SUVs the very rear of the cabin is not considered the passenger compartment. Only the areas where passengers can sit.
For motor homes, the normal living area of the vehicle is not considered a passenger compartment. Only the area where vehicle operation takes place.
Public transportation, buses, taxis, etc. are also exempt.

RitcheyRch
07-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Good info.

termiteguy
07-30-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm pretty sure if you just keep it put away and don't drive drunk it will never be a problem. We have gallons of "open containers" in my motorhome, since my wife will decide to make 1 type of drink on a trip, make a couple, and now we have 3/4 of a bottle sitting there waiting for her to get back to it.
I'm not worried about it. I can't believe that a LEO would bust me for that, since I'm not driving drunk or having anyone in the cab drinking.
i do belive your motorhome it is legal for passenger to consume alcohol in the rear only they are considered housecars.

BajaMike
07-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Louisiana has interesting liquor laws. There are no open container rules. It is legal to drink and drive, but you can’t be drunk and drive.
Every bar you go to has “go cups” by the door. It is common practice to order a drink to go or dump your unfinished drink into a go cup and walk or drive to the next bar. They even have drive thru “frozen daiquiri” places, like Jack in the Box, only you get a nice, cold, frozen drink to go instead of a Jumbo Jack.
I believe they also have the highest drunk driving accident rate in the country….what a surprise….:confused:
:rollside:

RiverDave
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
For SUVs the very rear of the cabin is not considered the passenger compartment. Only the areas where passengers can sit.
For motor homes, the normal living area of the vehicle is not considered a passenger compartment. Only the area where vehicle operation takes place.
Public transportation, buses, taxis, etc. are also exempt.
Not to sound like an idiot here.. but am I to understand that you can drink beers in the back of a Taxi?
As well here's a question for you. We used to have a conversion Van, and it had a large curtain that could be closed. When we bought the van the people told us several things. 1. SeatBelt laws did not apply in the rear of the van (Can't remember why?) and 2. With that curtain closed it was perfectly legal for people to have open containers and drink alcohol in the back of the van. Fell under the same deal as a Limo where the curtain seperated the driver from the rest of the group?
Where they right or full of B.S.? I've long since sold the van.
Any word on that Spectra?

YeLLowBoaT
07-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Not to sound like an idiot here.. but am I to understand that you can drink beers in the back of a Taxi?
As well here's a question for you. We used to have a conversion Van, and it had a large curtain that could be closed. When we bought the van the people told us several things. 1. SeatBelt laws did not apply in the rear of the van (Can't remember why?) and 2. With that curtain closed it was perfectly legal for people to have open containers and drink alcohol in the back of the van. Fell under the same deal as a Limo where the curtain seperated the driver from the rest of the group?
From what I understand, if your classifed as a RV or are over 10k lbs you do not have to wear a seatbelt.... your a fool if you don't wear one...

Boatcop
07-30-2006, 01:31 PM
As well here's a question for you. We used to have a conversion Van, and it had a large curtain that could be closed. When we bought the van the people told us several things. 1. Seat Belt laws did not apply in the rear of the van (Can't remember why?) and 2. With that curtain closed it was perfectly legal for people to have open containers and drink alcohol in the back of the van. Fell under the same deal as a Limo where the curtain seperated the driver from the rest of the group?
It is legal in AZ to consume alcohol as a passenger in a limousine, taxi, or bus. (As long as the company doesn't have a policy against it.)
Seat belt laws (In AZ anyway) only apply to front seat passengers. So anyone in the back seat of a vehicle or back of a van aren't required to wear seat belts (although it's always a good idea).
As far as consuming in a conversion van, it doesn't apply unless it's set up like a motor home. Here's the AZ legal definition of a "Motor Home":
20. "Motor home" means a motor vehicle that is primarily designed as temporary living quarters and that:
(a) Is built onto as an integral part of, or is permanently attached to, a motor vehicle chassis.
(b) Contains at least four of the following independent life support systems if each is permanently installed and designed to be removed only for purposes of repair or replacement:
(i) A cooking facility with an on board fuel source.
(ii) A gas or electric refrigerator.
(iii) A toilet with exterior evacuation.
(iv) A heating or air conditioning system with an on board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine.
(v) A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection.
(vi) A 110-125 volt electric power supply.
Curtain or no curtain, unless it meets the above description, the back of a conversion van is still the "passenger area".

RiverDave
07-30-2006, 03:17 PM
It is legal in AZ to consume alcohol as a passenger in a limousine, taxi, or bus. (As long as the company doesn't have a policy against it.)
Seat belt laws (In AZ anyway) only apply to front seat passengers. So anyone in the back seat of a vehicle or back of a van aren't required to wear seat belts (although it's always a good idea).
As far as consuming in a conversion van, it doesn't apply unless it's set up like a motor home. Here's the AZ legal definition of a "Motor Home":
Curtain or no curtain, unless it meets the above description, the back of a conversion van is still the "passenger area".
Interesting to say the least! Does the limo have an exception becuase it's commercial or something? The company that did the conversion for us, swore up and down it was perfectly legal to drink in the back of it etc so long as the curtain was closed. They claimed it was no different then a limo. Of course this was also in California and 10 - 13 years ago as well.. (15 - 16 years ago when we bought the van). Maybe things have changed since then.
RD

Tom Brown
07-30-2006, 06:28 PM
I have a follow up question to Dave's question.
Is this legal?
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/autobar.jpg

Jbb
07-30-2006, 06:39 PM
If Brown drinks shine out of his holllow wooden leg,while driving his Vespa....Is that an infraction...?

Tom Brown
07-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I beechwood age that shit. :cool:

Devil's Advocate
07-30-2006, 06:47 PM
If Brown drinks shine out of his holllow wooden leg,while driving his Vespa....Is that an infraction...?
LMAO.. :D

Tom Brown
07-30-2006, 06:56 PM
You two are getting my dander up.