PDA

View Full Version : Is this a significant crack?

75MillerJet
07-30-2006, 09:22 AM
So I bought this intake off of eBay and found this crack in it when it came. I was wondering if it is large enough to hurt any flow, and if so can I weld it back to normal or will it just keep cracking since its a weak spot now?

Nucking futs
07-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I would send it back, get my money back and just buy a new one.

Starloans
07-30-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't know shit about intakes but I would get my money back.

Moneypitt
07-30-2006, 12:23 PM
What intake, and how good a deal was it? That crack apears to be on the exhaust crossover under the plentum. If that is the case, and you got a deal, then just use the metal block offs in the exhaust crossover ports and run it..........I have heard more bitches about parts purchased on e bait then all the other sources combined, when are people gonna learn? There is an 80% chance the stuff you buy on e bait will not be what you thought it was....MP

GofastRacer
07-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Guess that's why it was on E-Bay, I'd be sending that back and giving the mofo some free advertizing! :hammerhea

Rexone
07-30-2006, 06:51 PM
What intake, and how good a deal was it? That crack apears to be on the exhaust crossover under the plentum. If that is the case, and you got a deal, then just use the metal block offs in the exhaust crossover ports and run it..........I have heard more bitches about parts purchased on e bait then all the other sources combined, when are people gonna learn? There is an 80% chance the stuff you buy on e bait will not be what you thought it was....MP
I disagree.
I have over 400 transactions both buying and selling, maybe 2 problems with stuff bought. If you do your homework and DON'T BUY FROM THOSE WITH NEGATIVE OR NO FEEDBACK you should be ok. And don't buy shit that doesn't have good pictures and/or descriptions.

steelcomp
07-30-2006, 06:59 PM
What intake, and how good a deal was it? That crack apears to be on the exhaust crossover under the plentum. If that is the case, and you got a deal, then just use the metal block offs in the exhaust crossover ports and run it..........I have heard more bitches about parts purchased on e bait then all the other sources combined, when are people gonna learn? There is an 80% chance the stuff you buy on e bait will not be what you thought it was....MPI've been screwed by more boaters than by anyone ever on ebay...or anywhere else, for that matter. Some from right here on ***boat.

75MillerJet
07-30-2006, 09:14 PM
it was a poilished performer intake i won for $255 + $25 shipping and it was clearly stated that the item was in brand new condition
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=150010657682&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT
also, does anyone know if edelbrocks polished intakes still have the rough cast feel but are just basically shiny? cuz thats what this is. i was expecting a smooth polished finish. this is almost as if it were a cast intake sprayed with that chrome spray paint

jtmarten
07-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Definitely have to be careful when they post a stock photo of the item. Good luck with the return!

rerfert
07-31-2006, 05:25 AM
Seller: movelikehell( 38) Not a registered user
Send it back if you can...I see a few problems with his AD... stock photo, NO PAYPAL
(at least if you have a despute you can go back thru them or EBAY??)
How long has the Not a registered user been up there?
I bought a brand new Edelbrock Performer intake for a BBF(non polished )
from Checker Auto for $189 no Tax (dealer cost)
looks like this
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/MVC_015F.jpg

GofastRacer
07-31-2006, 06:21 AM
His return policy states: "Items are descibed as they are, and sold as they are. No returns."

rrrr
07-31-2006, 06:47 AM
Coulda bought a new unpolished unit from Summit for less money.....polished for about a hundy more.
I don't buy stuff from people with negative feedback and a no return policy.

WannabeRacing
07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
ebay is just like everywhere else. There are good people to deal with, and crooks. Ya just gotta know what you are looking for, and who to deal with.

75MillerJet
08-01-2006, 07:58 AM
His return policy states: "Items are descibed as they are, and sold as they are. No returns."
her description also states that the item is in brand new condition... i've never seen a brand new manifold with a crack in it... so what am i lookin' at as far as repairing it guys? my main question wasn't about eBay it was about the thing's performance. is welding an option? and what is the point in crossovers if they can just be plugged anyways? weld or plug?

DMOORE
08-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Tig welding the aluminum isn't a big deal. Any welding shop can do it.
Darrell.

Moneypitt
08-01-2006, 04:47 PM
her description also states that the item is in brand new condition... i've never seen a brand new manifold with a crack in it... so what am i lookin' at as far as repairing it guys? my main question wasn't about eBay it was about the thing's performance. is welding an option? and what is the point in crossovers if they can just be plugged anyways? weld or plug?
The purpose is to heat the plenium during cold starts to help atomize the cold fuel. I always plug/cover them as they're not really needed in the local climate. I would just plug the head ports and run it.......Most gasket sets, (hipo) come with the little dojiggers to cap them off. You'll never know the difference................MP

75MillerJet
08-01-2006, 06:21 PM
The purpose is to heat the plenium during cold starts to help atomize the cold fuel. I always plug/cover them as they're not really needed in the local climate. I would just plug the head ports and run it.......Most gasket sets, (hipo) come with the little dojiggers to cap them off. You'll never know the difference................MP
sounds like they would help keep the plenum cooler after running for a period of time also, no? and here are some pics of the intake can someone please help me out and tell me if this looks like an unpolished intake just rattle-canned with that hi-heat resistant chrome paint or if this is how all edelbrocks polished intakes come? notice the rough texture, thats what's kinda turnin' me off... anyways here are some pics i just took looks fine from more than 10 feet away :rolleyes:

Moneypitt
08-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Well it's shiny, but I don't think it's polished. Try a little laquer thinner and see if the rag turns silver. If this person sold you that manifold as "new' and "polished", I would flame them as hot as possible thru e bait.........and demand my money back. OR, some sort of price "adjustment"..............MP

75MillerJet
08-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Well it's shiny, but I don't think it's polished. Try a little laquer thinner and see if the rag turns silver. If this person sold you that manifold as "new' and "polished", I would flame them as hot as possible thru e bait.........and demand my money back. OR, some sort of price "adjustment"..............MP
hahaha omg i think i'm gonna cry this is so much bulls**t take a look at the pic it speaks for itself

OhOneWS6
08-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Looks like you've been had. I'd definitely report that to ebay at the very least. Be sure to leave negative feedback as well. On another note the boat looks good. I love the black logs/risers.

kp216
08-02-2006, 04:22 PM
her description also states that the item is in brand new condition... i've never seen a brand new manifold with a crack in it...
From the ebay ad - This is a used but in brand new condition Olds Edelbrock Performer Intake
I'd say you got hosed. It looks exactly like my Performer does after I bead blasted it and rattled canned it with high temp aluminum to clean it up and hide the blemishes.

Moneypitt
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
hahaha omg i think i'm gonna cry this is so much bulls**t take a look at the pic it speaks for itself
Who is this person? Please post everything you know about them so someone else doesn't fall prey to these crooks...........MP

75MillerJet
08-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Who is this person? Please post everything you know about them so someone else doesn't fall prey to these crooks...........MP
the seller was Stephanie Gervasio of NJ, ebay name "movelikehell" and was a woman (shoulda known) that claimed she was parting out her dads '52 Olds for him and selling the stuff on eBay. I have her phone number and gave her a call today and left a pretty long message, but I don't think my chances of clearing this one up are too good. If nothing else I guess I'll just sandblast it and use it unpolished. I really wanted the polished look tho, and wanted to bolt it on for this weekend. Oh well looks like the Torker is goin back on. Oh yeah and I ordered the exhaust crossover plugs from napa they'll be in tomorrow morning so I'll see how they go.