PDA

View Full Version : Truck Bra recomendation

djunkie
07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Anyone use these to keep the bugs off the front end? I'm getting tired of scrubbing the damm things off after every river trip. Oh and its for a 2005 chevy 2500hd.

DMOORE
07-30-2006, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't recomend a bra for the truck. They can really scuff up the paint underneith. Instead I would go with the 3M clear protectant. I have the 3M on my coach and it works great. Bugs wash off a lot easier than on paint. The best part is you can barely tell it's on. Have to get within a few inches to tell.
Darrell.

HocusPocus
07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
i had one on a truck years ago when they were real popular... i would never again put on any vehicle.

djunkie
07-30-2006, 02:33 PM
i had one on a truck years ago when they were real popular... i would never again put on any vehicle.
How come? I've never had one. Just thought it would be a good idea for trips to keeps the front end clean.

RitcheyRch
07-30-2006, 02:40 PM
I would never put a bra on any of my vehicles. I have seen the damage they do to a vehicle.

djunkie
07-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Ok I guess the bra idea is out.

RiverDave
07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Ok I guess the bra idea is out.
Wash the front of it With Dri Wash a couple of times. After that it builds up a "film" (wax) on the paint, at which point you can use the leather cleaner (dunno why) and they wipe right off. You heading out to the river next weekend? I can show you. I think I have an extra bottle so I can give you some to try out for yourself.. I hate scrubbing the lil bastards too, but this has made my life alot easier.
RD

gsb_77_xl
07-30-2006, 03:14 PM
If there are any NAPA automotive stores in your area they can order a spray on product that will help protect the paint on the front of the vehicle that the bra covers it is supposed to be easy to remove if you ever want to take the bra off later

djunkie
07-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Wash the front of it With Dri Wash a couple of times. After that it builds up a "film" (wax) on the paint, at which point you can use the leather cleaner (dunno why) and they wipe right off. You heading out to the river next weekend? I can show you. I think I have an extra bottle so I can give you some to try out for yourself.. I hate scrubbing the lil bastards too, but this has made my life alot easier.
RD
I'll be in Havasu next weekend. I guess I might have to try the dry wash stuff out. But I'm kinda a lazy ass and usually take my truck to the car wash. LOL!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

RiverDave
07-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I'll be in Havasu next weekend. I guess I might have to try the dry wash stuff out. But I'm kinda a lazy ass and usually take my truck to the car wash. LOL!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:
Then they should get the bugs off for you.. LOL
They also sell a clear "bra" it's almost like a tape.. There's a business down here selling them to dealerships etc.. to protect from rock chips. They've actually got it down pretty good where you can't even hardly see the clear bra itself, or the point where it ends and transfers back to paint..
RD

djunkie
07-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Then they should get the bugs off for you.. LOL
They also sell a clear "bra" it's almost like a tape.. There's a business down here selling them to dealerships etc.. to protect from rock chips. They've actually got it down pretty good where you can't even hardly see the clear bra itself, or the point where it ends and transfers back to paint..
RD
Ya I've heard about that stuff too. I guess what I'm most worried about is chips on the hood too. But it is a truck I guess and that stuff will happen.

Boatcop
07-30-2006, 03:27 PM
I would only recommend a bra on a vehicle when the front end begins to sag.
:p

djunkie
07-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I would only recommend a bra on a vehicle when the front end begins to sag.
:p
Well its only a year old so hopefully shes got a few more years till that happens. :rollside:

DeeCandyBar
07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't recomend a bra for the truck. They can really scuff up the paint underneith. Instead I would go with the 3M clear protectant. I have the 3M on my coach and it works great. Bugs wash off a lot easier than on paint. The best part is you can barely tell it's on. Have to get within a few inches to tell.
Darrell.
that's not true at all. vinyl bras on vehicles work exceptionally well and rarely if ever do anything to the paint/finish. buy a quality product from colgan (they make aftermarket and OEM bras) and you'll be happy.

AZmike
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I use a car bra on my truck for trips to the dunes and the river, and never have had problem with them. I always wax the truck before I put it on. I take it off when I get home though, there not very attractive.

Jordy
07-30-2006, 09:07 PM
As was mentioned, go with the 3M Stoneguard (you should be able to search that as it's a TM) type product. It's a clear plastic adhesive that it easy to clean bugs off of, but also protects from stone chips. I have a friend with a tint shop out here if you don't have any luck finding more info on it. I've had mine on since about a week after I bought my truck and when I pick up my next truck, it will have one too.

pixilatedpussy
07-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Anyone use these to keep the bugs off the front end? I'm getting tired of scrubbing the damm things off after every river trip. Oh and its for a 2005 chevy 2500hd.
G could probably help ya out! :)

phebus
07-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Just spray a thin film of WD40 on the front of the hood before your next trip. Then, just wipe the bugs off when you get there.
Works great, and has never harmed my paint.

djunkie
07-30-2006, 09:13 PM
G could probably help ya out! :)
Well put that on my list then along with fixing the scratch. Hopefully I can get it to you in the next few weeks. Too many trips planned right now.

pixilatedpussy
07-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Well put that on my list then along with fixing the scratch. Hopefully I can get it to you in the next few weeks. Too many trips planned right now.
:cool: He has some companies he deals with for different aftermarket items....you have to just look for what you want by internet & then tell him.

djunkie
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
:cool: He has some companies he deals with for different aftermarket items....you have to just look for what you want by internet & then tell him.
Gotcha. Will you be making an appearance at the river next weekend?

Jyruiz
07-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Get some bug and tar remover, I use the one from Turtle Wax, it works great. You should also wax your the front before the trip and the bugs will come off a lot easier.

SOCALDETAIL1
07-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Bras will screw up your paint if they get loose and start moving, The 3M clear tape is ok, but when you get a rock shooting at you a piece of tape will not protect the paint, will help out a little. As for the bugs a few of my customers put a thin coat of WD40 before they go on road trips, the bugs don't really stick. Seems to work pretty good, just remember to wash off when you get back. Mark

Jordy
07-30-2006, 09:23 PM
The 3M clear tape is ok, but when you get a rock shooting at you a piece of tape will not protect the paint, will help out a little.
3+ years now will tend to disagree with you, unless it's a rock soccer ball sized or bigger. I've got an '02 2500HD Chevy with the big hood on it, which is a rock magnet. It had no chips on it when I bought it and within a week it was speckled. I touched them up and did the STONEguard and haven't had any new chips show up since then. It's got my vote for bug and rock protection. ;)

djunkie
07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
3+ years now will tend to disagree with you, unless it's a rock soccer ball sized or bigger. I've got an '02 2500HD Chevy with the big hood on it, which is a rock magnet. It had no chips on it when I bought it and within a week it was speckled. I touched them up and did the [b]STONE[b]guard and haven't had any new chips show up since then. It's got my vote for bug and rock protection. ;)
Can you give me a link to some info on this stone guard you be talkin about?

SOCALDETAIL1
07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
3+ years now will tend to disagree with you, unless it's a rock soccer ball sized or bigger. I've got an '02 2500HD Chevy with the big hood on it, which is a rock magnet. It had no chips on it when I bought it and within a week it was speckled. I touched them up and did the [b]STONE[b]guard and haven't had any new chips show up since then. It's got my vote for bug and rock protection. ;)
Let me see so a sharp rock traveling at 65 mph can crack your windshield but a piece of 8 mil. clear urethane coating will protect it? I said it will help but I have alot of customers that have it on their cars and there are some spots where the rock won the battle, I do think it is better then nothing.

Tom Brown
07-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Let me see so a sharp rock traveling at 65 mph can crack your windshield but a piece of 8 mil. clear urethane coating will protect it?
They should use that shit to protect the wings on the space shuttle. :D

SOCALDETAIL1
07-30-2006, 10:05 PM
They should use that shit to protect the wings on the space shuttle. :D
F bullet proof vests lets get some 3M, cheaper I bet too.

DeeCandyBar
07-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Just spray a thin film of WD40 on the front of the hood before your next trip. Then, just wipe the bugs off when you get there.
Works great, and has never harmed my paint.
yeah, that wd40 does a great job of taking any wax off your paint

SOCALDETAIL1
07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
yeah, that wd40 does a great job of taking any wax off your paint
Well like I said make sure you wash it off after. oh and re-wax that spot. Still better then scrubbing bugs.

Hardly Satisfied
07-31-2006, 01:29 AM
Well like I said make sure you wash it off after. oh and re-wax that spot. Still better then scrubbing bugs.
I think I will try this,, thanks

djunkie
07-31-2006, 02:22 AM
Well thanks for the input everyone. You've all been a lot of help. :rolleyes: I've decided to just start driving my girlsfriends Honda Civic to the river for now on. Let that thing get trashed instead of my truck. You think i'll be able to launch the boat with it? :crossx:

Kim Hanson
07-31-2006, 06:40 AM
I have a bra and a triple chrome plated bug killer.........( . )( . ).........Bra is made by CarCover.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1191.JPG
I even have a bra on the back :cool: I stole JBB's saying :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1192.JPG

Jordy
07-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Let me see so a sharp rock traveling at 65 mph can crack your windshield but a piece of 8 mil. clear urethane coating will protect it?
Apparently it will because I've replaced a few windshields since I've put it on but haven't picked up any new rock chips on the front of my hood where the stone guard is. :idea: ;)

Jordy
07-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Can you give me a link to some info on this stone guard you be talkin about?
Here is the do it yourself version:
http://www.clearmask.com/online_store.php?ad=google_comp&gclid=CLvyuKWkvIYCFQlrWAodsGh1RQ

Todd969
07-31-2006, 07:34 AM
I didn't see anything about a bugshield mentioned. Is that an option? I've had no issues with the AVS brand. I also have a really cool screen that attaches to the grille for long trips. You may see them on big rigs often. Just a thought.

Kim Hanson
07-31-2006, 07:42 AM
I didn't see anything about a bugshield mentioned. Is that an option? I've had no issues with the AVS brand. I also have a really cool screen that attaches to the grille for long trips. You may see them on big rigs often. Just a thought.
They are built into bra's, I don't like bugs on the windows also.......it keeps the smaller ones off of it now........( . )( . )............... :cool: