PDA

View Full Version : June 2004 Havasu Boat collision in the papers today

moneypit
07-30-2006, 02:37 PM
This was in Simi's local paper today. This is a sad story of how BUI's affect a family for life. Sad sad sad.
http://www1.venturacountystar.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_4881414,00.html
http://mas.scripps.com/VCS/2006/07/30/20060729-231107-pic-372383548_e.jpg
I would never wish upon your family the pain I've had to endure," Sheila Patchett tells Robert Padilla of Corona, right, after his sentencing July 18 at San Bernardino Superior Court in Needles. "We're very sorry," Padilla told her. Padilla pleaded guilty to a felony for boating under the influence and was sentenced to three years probation.

doesitfloat?
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Unbelievable.

TCN
07-30-2006, 03:11 PM
That story gave me chills. Very sad.

76charger
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
What no jail time that is just wrong.

KACHINA KEN
07-30-2006, 04:41 PM

Parker Dreamin
07-30-2006, 06:07 PM
wow.. I am on my way to give my two daughters a big hug ....
cant believe they went for a plea bargan........

akiwi
08-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Just goes to prove drinking and boating dont mix ! Sad story. Hope no one here has to go through that experience

bignet
08-06-2006, 10:02 PM
No words describe the feeling I feel....It's just sad.
bignet

Daytona100
08-07-2006, 01:20 AM
How can Padilla live with himself after killing two innocent people. Sad story.

RiverToysJas
08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
That is a very very sad case.
All of us should read that story, and keep it in mind.
Both drivers had been drinking (according to the DA), both were travelling at unsafe speeds (according to the DA), the driver who survived has to live with what he did. Had he been killed, and the other survived, the tables would have been exactly reversed on this situation. This is just a sad, unfortunate accident. Had speed and alcohol not been a factor, perhaps neither family would be going through the devistating grief.
We as boaters need to remember how quickly our lives can be changed forever.
RTJas

core attitude
08-07-2006, 09:29 AM
We as boaters need to remember how quickly our lives can be changed forever.
RTJas
And how quickly we can change the lives of others....

GHT
08-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Sad, Very Sad.... Just makes me sick to think......

Artv
08-07-2006, 10:23 AM
very sad story...

NautiTwins
08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I guy kills a family while intoxicated and is not sentenced to prison? For some reason this does not make sense to me.

RiverDave
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I guy kills a family while intoxicated and is not sentenced to prison? For some reason this does not make sense to me.
You didn't read the article close enough. Both guys were drinking, and travelling at a high rate of speed.
What if you had two beers, and somebody else was dead sober and they did everything wrong and crashed into YOU? You got lucky in the fact that they went under you instead of over you effectively killing everyone in their boat.
Did YOU kill them? Would you still be saying you should do prison time even though you did nothing wrong? Other then being wrong place wrong time with 2 beers?
It sounded like to me the DA wasn't exactly convinced that it was the other guys fault (i.e. This case isn't "easy" looks like your ex-husband was drinking as well")
Still though people died, and especially when it comes to youths.. Somebody has to pay. So they still gave him something (a day in jail, no license for a year, and probation) instead of letting him roll. What do you want them to do crucify somebody that they themselves aren't convinced was at fault?
I don't know shit about the accident so I'm not defending the guy that lived. I'm just saying y'all don't know shit about it either so maybe you shouldn't pass judgment.
This whole thing could be something where the guy in the cat lost a drive (it happens?) and the boat swerved into the path of an oncomming boat.. In which case it's filed under the "shit happens" part of life, not necesarrily either drivers fault? Who knows.. Only the people that were on both boats.
RD

NautiTwins
08-07-2006, 11:20 AM
You didn't read the article close enough. Both guys were drinking, and travelling at a high rate of speed.
What if you had two beers, and somebody else was dead sober and they did everything wrong and crashed into YOU? You got lucky in the fact that they went under you instead of over you effectively killing everyone in their boat.
Did YOU kill them? Would you still be saying you should do prison time even though you did nothing wrong? Other then being wrong place wrong time with 2 beers?
It sounded like to me the DA wasn't exactly convinced that it was the other guys fault (i.e. This case isn't "easy" looks like your ex-husband was drinking as well")
Still though people died, and especially when it comes to youths.. Somebody has to pay. So they still gave him something (a day in jail, no license for a year, and probation) instead of letting him roll. What do you want them to do crucify somebody that they themselves aren't convinced was at fault?
I don't know shit about the accident so I'm not defending the guy that lived. I'm just saying y'all don't know shit about it either so maybe you shouldn't pass judgment.
This whole thing could be something where the guy in the cat lost a drive (it happens?) and the boat swerved into the path of an oncomming boat.. In which case it's filed under the "shit happens" part of life, not necesarrily either drivers fault? Who knows.. Only the people that were on both boats.
RD
I understand your point.

topless
08-07-2006, 12:05 PM
RDActually, the article said he may have been drinking.

PHOTOGLOU
08-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I can't believe the sadness I am feeling right now...... You hear about this stuff so often and just think, better be more careful..... I don't know why, but this one hits home alittle more.... Prayers to ALL involved..... Jay

RiverDave
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Actually, the article said he may have been drinking.
If they thought the other guy was at fault and the ex husband wasn't drinking.. Then this guy would've gotten alot more then a day in Jail, classes and probation. He basically got what anyone with a normal OUI would've gotten.
RD

blackcloud75
08-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Very Sad story,
I am kind of confused at a couple of things.....?????
If you open up the link to the Newspaper Article, take a look at the pictures, notice anything....
Neck Brace or No Neck Brace??????Were both parties drinking or was just the survivor intoxicated??????Seems to me the coronor/LE would know for sure...
Not trying to play down the tragedy, just a little miffed??????
My condolences.....
Cancer sucks!!!!That was what the article was about right...