PDA

View Full Version : 460 Ford Starter

1972hallett
07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
I just replaced my starter. The original had a broken housing. When I attempted to fire it up gas came pooring out the carb. Before changing starters the boat ran fine. Did I hook up something wrong or could it be the wrong starter? It looks exactly the same and I got it from Bergeson Engineering in Mesa. Can anyone advise me and or tell me where I can get a wiring diagram to chack my work. The motor turns and sounds like it wants to start but fuel and smke are coming up through the carb.
Thanks
Bill

ONAROLL
07-30-2006, 04:41 PM
I just replaced my starter. The original had a broken housing. When I attempted to fire it up gas came pooring out the carb. Before changing starters the boat ran fine. Did I hook up something wrong or could it be the wrong starter? It looks exactly the same and I got it from Bergeson Engineering in Mesa. Can anyone advise me and or tell me where I can get a wiring diagram to chack my work. The motor turns and sounds like it wants to start but fuel and smke are coming up through the carb.
Thanks
Bill
Bill, sounds like you put a standard rotation starter into a reverse drive housing or vice versa, pull your dist cap and see if your dist is rotating backwards, the two starters look just alike, been there..........Vic