PDA

View Full Version : boat crash this weekend in havasu

dm25advantage
07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
heard about a accident this weekend and killed 4 people... anybody have info abut it?

DILLIGAF
07-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I hope not :(

Parker Dreamin
07-30-2006, 05:50 PM
say it is not so....

cc322
07-30-2006, 05:52 PM
We were out there this weekend and did not hear or see anything. Hope it is a false report.

Riveratz
07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
heard about a accident this weekend and killed 4 people... anybody have info abut it?
Just got back from there? I hope it is not true also? we didn't hear or see anything.

RitcheyRch
07-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Hopefully no truth to this.

nodigg
07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
We were out all weekend and Friday, didn't hear anything yet....

Kilrtoy
07-30-2006, 08:53 PM
probably should have some facts, or a news wire from the authorites about something as serious as this thread (w/ 4 deaths) - lets hope none of this is true :(
Are you serious this is ***boat spread rumors and talk shit...
But I do know a HTM blew up this weekend, and that is fact

Warlockjer
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Don't know if this is related but we were out on the island last night and there was A LOT of emergency equipment there on the north end at the water line. Not trying to say it had anything to do with your question tho. I hope not!!

prosthogod
07-31-2006, 07:20 AM
wasn't there a crash on the bill williams bridge that caused a fire? Maybe that was it.

LAVEYSABRE575
07-31-2006, 07:39 AM
The crash on the bill williams bridge was a tanker truck he lost control the driver had minor injuries no other injuries. The fire that it spawned lasted 2 days ......

BoatFloating
07-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Are you serious this is ***boat spread rumors and talk shit...
But I do know a HTM blew up this weekend, and that is fact
Not fact..... It caught fire but didn't blow up put out before it hit gas tanks. They think a lit cig thrown from a passing vehicle caused....

Kilrtoy
07-31-2006, 08:26 AM
Not fact..... It caught fire but didn't blow up put out before it hit gas tanks. They think a lit cig thrown from a passing vehicle caused....
Blow up catch on fire
is that like tomato and tomato
Im sorry aftershock/carrerra /buring :boxed:
WHERE YOU BEING HIDING ROCK, Havent seen you but once this year

02HoWaRd26
07-31-2006, 08:28 AM
That HTM story that was on the water or on the trailer that way sucks either way....

BoatFloating
07-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Blow up catch on fire
is that like tomato and tomato
Im sorry aftershock/carrerra /buring :boxed:
WHERE YOU BEING HIDING ROCK, Havent seen you but once this year
I was out there this weekend.... We've been missing all the crap and staying out of the channel. How about you? D Row is really quite...
The boat caught fire in trailer...

phebus
07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
I was out there this weekend.... We've been missing all the crap and staying out of the channel. How about you? D Row is really quite...
The boat caught fire in trailer...
Hey you homo, let me know next time you will be out. I'd like to see you.
Rick

OutCole'd
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Rick
Looks like Rick just came flying out of the closet.

DILLIGAF
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Hey you homo, I'd like to see you.
Rick
:2purples:

BoatFloating
07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Rick
I like you too.... Hey you have same cell number... Shoot me your new contact info. We wont be out for at least 3 weeks because we are going on a cruise.....

missspent
07-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Just looked at the local paper on line, like that would do me a world of good. Worked there for just short of a year...use to answer the phone, "all the news that fit to print!" No story of a crash except on the bridge. Met a couple of people in the channel this weekend who got caught up in the aftermath. Hubby here early on, wife coming later...detours...etc. I did find this in today's paper
Sheriff's Office gets state grant for patrolling the lake
BY DAVID BELL
Keeping the waters of Lake Havasu safe is a full-time job and the Mohave County Sheriff's Office just got some extra money to keep staffing levels high.
The Sheriff's Office is receiving $612,427 from the Law Enforcement Boating Safety Fund, a program administered by Arizona State Parks. That money will be used to pay salaries, benefits and overtime for deputies assigned full-time to the boating enforcement division, as well as deputies that will assist during periods of high boating traffic.
After TWICE lifting the drive to clean Crap off the prop, etc., I hope some of the money goes to "rakeing" the channel. Attached is a picture of similar.
http://www.lakehavasucityinfo.com

Kilrtoy
07-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Just looked at the local paper on line, like that would do me a world of good. Worked there for just short of a year...use to answer the phone, "all the news that fit to print!" No story of a crash except on the bridge. Met a couple of people in the channel this weekend who got caught up in the aftermath. Hubby here early on, wife coming later...detours...etc. I did find this in today's paper
Sheriff's Office gets state grant for patrolling the lake
BY DAVID BELL
Keeping the waters of Lake Havasu safe is a full-time job and the Mohave County Sheriff's Office just got some extra money to keep staffing levels high.
The Sheriff's Office is receiving $612,427 from the Law Enforcement Boating Safety Fund, a program administered by Arizona State Parks. That money will be used to pay salaries, benefits and overtime for deputies assigned full-time to the boating enforcement division, as well as deputies that will assist during periods of high boating traffic.
After TWICE lifting the drive to clean Crap off the prop, etc., I hope some of the money goes to "rakeing" the channel. Attached is a picture of similar.
http://www.lakehavasucityinfo.com
At their $12 an hour salaries that should last a couple of years I would think....
HOW ABOUT EDUCATION....
Is this state that backwards they have no clue about education...
All I ever read and hear about is ENFORCEMENT

Boatcop
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
At their $12 an hour salaries that should last a couple of years I would think....
HOW ABOUT EDUCATION....
Is this state that backwards they have no clue about education...
All I ever read and hear about is ENFORCEMENT
That grant money is strictly for the County Sheriff's. Cities are not eligible. The only thing we can spend it on (La Paz got $397,350) is for salaries and, if any is left over, we can purchase patrol boats (motors, equipment, etc) without going through the competitive grant system for State Lake Improvement Fund moneys.
If you're talking about boating education, AZ has one of the premiere boating Education programs in the US. The only fault with it is the apathy of the boaters, and their lack of interest in attending. The Boating Education programs are funded with Federal Money from the Aquatic Resources Trust fund, administered by the Coast Guard.
The above salary funds come 100% from boat registration fees, which makes the people who use our services, pay for them. Our Boating programs don't use any property or sales tax funds, except for operation and maintenance.
We will be trying to get State Parks (who administers the above salary funds) to amend their policy, so that we can use the increased funding for operation, maintenance, other equipment, training and travel. So the funds we use for those things now, can be freed up for other County uses. It will also allow us to expand our opportunities for training for our Boating Officers.
And FYI, the cities and counties in AZ have little, if anything, to do with public education (K-12). That is the responsibility of elected school boards and State Education. Mohave County or Lake Havasu City can not and do not dictate how the schools up there are run.

2Driver
07-31-2006, 07:49 PM
(La Paz got $397,350) .
Sheriff Joe spends twice that marketing his own name :rolleyes:

07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
I like you too.... Hey you have same cell number... Shoot me your new contact info. We wont be out for at least 3 weeks because we are going on a cruise.....
Damn do you ever work, cruise, lake powell, mexico, hawaii, temecula
lol have a good time

Boatcop
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
And just so everyone understands why the Feds give money to the States and the State gives money to the locals for Boating Enforcement and Education, it's due to the statutory requirement that the US Coast Guard provide Boating Education and Enforcement services.
The Coast Guard passed those duties on to the States via the Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971. It also required that the States investigate and collect data on Boating Accidents. The States then passed some of those duties, primarily Accident investigation and Boating Enforcement to the Counties.
Rather than be one of those "unfunded mandates", they provide funding for those duties. The money that the Coast Guard administers to the states comes from the Walloup/Breaux (AKA Aquatic Resources) Trust Fund. That money comes from Federal taxes on anything to do with boating or water recreation. From bait worms to Luxury Yachts and everything in between, if it is made for water recreation, the US Govt. gets a cut. The trust fund provides money for fishing programs, US Fish and Wild life, fish hatcheries, angler education programs, etc. and (via the Coast Guard) Boating Education, Accident Data Collection, and Enforcement programs for the States. The amount each State gets depends on the number of boats registered in that State.
The State then funds Counties for Boating Enforcement Programs, based upon the number of Officers dedicated to Boating Safety, and the amount of boating traffic in each County. That money comes from a % of Watercraft registration fees.
So in each of those situations, general fund money (sales, property, income, excise, luxury taxes, etc.) are not used. The ones that use our services, whether for education or enforcement, are the ones who pay for it.
In the same light those funds cannot, by law or policy, be used for anything other their intended purpose, so it couldn't be directed for other programs even if we (or the bean counters) wanted to.

Psycho Squid
07-31-2006, 10:58 PM
lol have a good timeTrouble Maker........ :rollside:
SQUID....

Kilrtoy
07-31-2006, 11:57 PM
I did not mean education as schooling for kids.
All I hear is more enforcement is needed, more tickets, more arrest.
How about education, billboards , brochures at the ramps.
Instead of ticketing people, how about walking up to every boat in the channel and handing out easy to read/picture pamphlets and doing the same at every launch ramp.
I have gone to the boating center in havasu and no one is ever working there, there is no literature. Ask the cops in Havasu where to attend classes , No clue but here is your ticket.
Im sure you would agree with this Alan, you would much rather drive around on the boat bored, than write tickets and arrest people.

Boatcop
08-01-2006, 05:04 AM
Can't speak for Havasu PD or Mohave SO, but we carry the Arizona Boating Guides in our boats. Along with T-shirts and sticker for the kids. We hand them out on most stops. They're also available at our Boating Safety Center, on a display in the lobby.
All that stuff is given to any Agency by the case-load from Arizona Game and Fish. All we have to do is ask.
Although I suspect in the channel, they would only need one case. After handing them out Saturday morning, they could walk the shoreline Sunday night and pick them all back up off the ground.
Then hand them out again the next weekend.

Garrddogg
08-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Can't speak for Havasu PD or Mohave SO, but we carry the Arizona Boating Guides in our boats. Along with T-shirts and sticker for the kids. We hand them out on most stops. They're also available at our Boating Safety Center, on a display in the lobby.
All that stuff is given to any Agency by the case-load from Arizona Game and Fish. All we have to do is ask.
Although I suspect in the channel, they would only need one case. After handing them out Saturday morning, they could walk the shoreline Sunday night and pick them all back up off the ground.
Then hand them out again the next weekend.
Now that right there is funny! Its not right that its funny, But its funny! :)

Seadog
08-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Alan, I can imagine that it gets a little fustrating with the "Rules? We don't need no stinking rules" attitude that so many have. I used to be negative about mandatory boating education and licensing, but the more stupid behavior I see, the more enforcement I would like to see. It is a pity, but it seems like a few idiots dictate the ability to enjoy boating for so many.

THOR
08-01-2006, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=Kilrtoy]
Instead of ticketing people, how about walking up to every boat in the channel and handing out easy to read/picture pamphlets and doing the same at every launch ramp.
QUOTE]
This would also be an easy way to look inside boats and do the random "safety check". Seems reasonable to me. But on the other hand, I was parked next to a couple of officers on Friday in the channel and they were waving folks to pull in for various reasons about once every ten minutes. It still amazes me how dumb people are from having '05 stickers on their hull to pouring out a beer in front of the law. :rolleyes:

Havasu Luvr
08-01-2006, 05:45 AM
I did not mean education as schooling for kids.
All I hear is more enforcement is needed, more tickets, more arrest.
How about education, billboards , brochures at the ramps.
I have gone to the boating center in havasu and no one is ever working there, there is no literature. Ask the cops in Havasu where to attend classes , No clue but here is your ticket.
Im sure you would agree with this Alan, you would much rather drive around on the boat bored, than write tickets and arrest people.
Come on "KillRoy" :), of all the peeps on this board you should know better, utilizing man hours to educate boat to boat is a waste of tax payers money, peeps would call it "Harrassment" you yourself have done that when you saw peeps getting pulled over in the channel for "NO REASON", getting pulled over is a form of educating the general public. You are an LEO yourself, do you educate fellow boaters when you see them violating any laws or maybe the possibility of endangering themself or others... We all do not need to be LEO to self educate ourselfs but we don't. Infomation pamphlets???? I think not.... another form of wasting tax payers money and tell me what you would see after a day of handing those infomation pamphlets out in the channel. Beaches littered with these infomation pamphlets. Todays society has mandated that the best education is the "School of Hard Knocks", when someone does something wrong and LE informs that individual with maybe a citation with a heffty fine then I beleive that individual will learn the BEST lesson and will think twice about it the next time and if they don't then more power to our Judicial System, at least until a better ones comes along.

havaduner
08-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Come on "KillRoy" :), of all the peeps on this board you should know better, utilizing man hours to educate boat to boat is a waste of tax payers money, peeps would call it "Harrassment" you yourself have done that when you saw peeps getting pulled over in the channel for "NO REASON", getting pulled over is a form of educating the general public. You are an LEO yourself, do you educate fellow boaters when you see them violating any laws or maybe the possibility of endangering themself or others... We all do not need to be LEO to self educate ourselfs but we don't. Infomation pamphlets???? I think not.... another form of wasting tax payers money and tell me what you would see after a day of handing those infomation pamphlets out in the channel. Beaches littered with these infomation pamphlets. Todays society has mandated that the best education is the "School of Hard Knocks", when someone does something wrong and LE informs that individual with maybe a citation with a heffty fine then I beleive that individual will learn the BEST lesson and will think twice about it the next time and if they don't then more power to our Judicial System, at least until a better ones comes along.
????????????
Ok, gotta admit with BoatCop on this, all the flyers would end up on the ground. That is a sad commentary about society in itself.
As far as the "school of hard knocks" No, not going with that one, as the ShIat I have seen going on at the lake the last two weekends makes me think that a licensing program for boaters may not be a bad idea after all, as some of the peeps are endangering themselves as well as my family.

Havasu Luvr
08-01-2006, 07:04 AM
????????????
Ok, gotta admit with BoatCop on this, all the flyers would end up on the ground. That is a sad commentary about society in itself.
As far as the "school of hard knocks" No, not going with that one, as the ShIat I have seen going on at the lake the last two weekends makes me think that a licensing program for boaters may not be a bad idea after all, as some of the peeps are endangering themselves as well as my family.
So you think that licensing would work in this country? I do not have the answer but I do know that mandatory licensing is not the answer. What good will it do. Look at our mandatory licensing program on our street and Hwys. Operators are a joke, everyone with a license is "Educated" in the vehicle codes but still elect to drive the way they want to. It's a "Convience" and until we start getting caught and made responsible for our own actions it will continue. How would you regulate it. Pull over every boater to make sure the operator is in pocession of a current boat license? Wait until there is an accident and if the operator is NOT a license operator then issue a misdomeanor (sp?) citation. Again, I do not have the answers but I do FIRMLY beleive that getting into peoples pocket books is a great start. We are very materialistic society and money means the world. Hit us were it will hurt the most and we will learn (generally speaking).

BoatFloating
08-01-2006, 07:13 AM
lol have a good time
I take after you.... :)

Kilrtoy
08-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Just because YOU know the laws dont asume that the rest of the boating public does...How many times have you almost had a close call or watch someone speed up the no wake zone or pass you on the wrong side. No matter what, everyone driving a boat is ALWAYS in the right, just ask them.....
The PD and SO have volunteers that could do all the things I refer to
and sorry to say EDUCATING THE PUBLIC IS NOT A WASTE OF TAX PAYERS DOLLARS.....
The T-shirt program is exactly what im talking about BC.
I was in a cove 4 years ago and the sheriff pulled in and called me over along with my kids. They said the reason they stopped is because my kids were wearing a life vest while playing on the shore, They gave them a coloring book, crayons and a t-shirt that said I got stopped for wearing my life vest(or somthing like that).
Needless to say the coloring book needed parently assistance, so inturn I was educating my kids on boating safety while they colored, at the same time refreshing my knowledge. Its called education, just not the form you are thinking about.
Seatbelt laws in Cali is the prime example....
Millions have been spent on education and thousands of lives have been saved by this EDUCATION....
again because YOU know everything, everyone else does not.....
By the way my kids proudly wore that shirt for the rest of the year everytime we went boating

Havasu Luvr
08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Just because YOU know the laws dont asume that the rest of the boating public does...How many times have you almost had a close call or watch someone speed up the no wake zone or pass you on the wrong side. No matter what, everyone driving a boat is ALWAYS in the right, just ask them.....
The PD and SO have volunteers that could do all the things I refer to
and sorry to say EDUCATING THE PUBLIC IS NOT A WASTE OF TAX PAYERS DOLLARS.....
The T-shirt program is exactly what im talking about BC.
I was in a cove 4 years ago and the sheriff pulled in and called me over along with my kids. They said the reason they stopped is because my kids were wearing a life vest while playing on the shore, They gave them a coloring book, crayons and a t-shirt that said I got stopped for wearing my life vest(or somthing like that).
Needless to say the coloring book needed parently assistance, so inturn I was educating my kids on boating safety while they colored, at the same time refreshing my knowledge. Its called education, just not the form you are thinking about.
Seatbelt laws in Cali is the prime example....
Millions have been spent on education and thousands of lives have been saved by this EDUCATION....
again because YOU know everything, everyone else does not.....
By the way my kids proudly wore that shirt for the rest of the year everytime we went boating
First I want to thank you for acknolwedging that I do know everything :rolleyes: and I thought YOU were the resident expert. You talk about someone speed through a NO Wake zone and education would help them, AGAIN you are right if only they could read then maybe they would be able to READ the bouys, better yet ! ! ! Have LEO light them up and educate them FIRST HAND ! ! And again you are correct by stating that "Millions have been spent on education and thousands of lives have been saved by this EDUCATION" but what about the thousand of lives that die every year because people have been educated BUT elect NOT to wear seat belts. All i am saying and it's clear that you do NOT know how to listen is we can educate until our ears are blue, we are a lazy society and we will do want is more convient to us when we think we can get away with it or until LEO cits us for the violation then we become "Born again Christians" (no religious bashing intended) for a few days/weeks then the laziness.convience sets in and we are back to our normal life style. Best lessonever learned is the School of Hard Knocks.....

XTRM22
08-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Needless to say the coloring book needed parently assistance,
Yeah, like you could really stay inside the lines! :)
Chuck

shueman
08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Good post Miguel...!! :cool:
I think we, as a boating community, need to help improve things by "calling out" to other boaters who are in violation of posted rules or safety regulations. Some don't know better, which we can help, and some don't care, which is the real issue at hand.
We can make a difference by spreading the word......maybe...??

Kilrtoy
08-01-2006, 10:37 AM
First I want to thank you for acknolwedging that I do know everything :rolleyes: and I thought YOU were the resident expert. You talk about someone speed through a NO Wake zone and education would help them, AGAIN you are right if only they could read then maybe they would be able to READ the bouys, better yet ! ! ! Have LEO light them up and educate them FIRST HAND ! ! And again you are correct by stating that "Millions have been spent on education and thousands of lives have been saved by this EDUCATION" but what about the thousand of lives that die every year because people have been educated BUT elect NOT to wear seat belts. All i am saying and it's clear that you do NOT know how to listen is we can educate until our ears are blue, we are a lazy society and we will do want is more convient to us when we think we can get away with it or until LEO cits us for the violation then we become "Born again Christians" (no religious bashing intended) for a few days/weeks then the laziness.convience sets in and we are back to our normal life style. Best lessonever learned is the School of Hard Knocks.....
Well this becomes two fold, you have those that honestly dont know and made a mistake, this is where education helps....
Then you have those that dont care, could care less and have a F$#$ you attitude, and I agree, press hard three copies....
Sometimes education goes alot further than a bill toss from the pocket

Todd969
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Good call Alan!!
I'm working on becoming a Mohave county reserve BSO ( boating safety officier ) right now and in just a short time I've come to realize that these guys DO NOT want to ruin people's weekends, but in fact would much rather see familys and friends enjoying their time. The MCS has material to hand out, but primarily patrols Thompson and the lake. ( that's likely where Miguels kids got their goodies )
Hopefully the new boating committee will also provide some awareness materials. I would walk the channel and hand out educational material to people. It would simply be a average joe to average joe deal. No pressure to take them.
Would the public react better to a fellow boater saying,"would you mind taking a minute to read this?" Maybe it wouldn't work and they would be on the ground. I really have no idea, but it doesn't hurt to try.

h2oski2fast
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
So you are saying to educate so it doesn't happen a secaond time. Well, the first time they do it may be putting you and your's in harms way. How do you keep it from happening in the first place? Hmmmm, let's see........ maybe through education or a licensing program.
"School of Hard Knocks"....... So when one of your family members is run over by an uneducated boater, and he is cited, who learns the lesson here? You for saying that education won't work or him for not knowing he was doing anything wrong? I think the logical answer would be both. Are you willing to put your family in knowing danger?
I do agree that some thing can be learned through experience, but can also be taught to the inexperienced.

h2oski2fast
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Good call Alan!!
I'm working on becoming a Mohave county reserve BSO ( boating safety officier ) right now and in just a short time I've come to realize that these guys DO NOT want to ruin people's weekends, but in fact would much rather see familys and friends enjoying their time. The MCS has material to hand out, but primarily patrols Thompson and the lake. ( that's likely where Miguels kids got their goodies )
Hopefully the new boating committee will also provide some awareness materials. I would walk the channel and hand out educational material to people. It would simply be a average joe to average joe deal. No pressure to take them.
Would the public react better to a fellow boater saying,"would you mind taking a minute to read this?" Maybe it wouldn't work and they would be on the ground. I really have no idea, but it doesn't hurt to try.
And if it saves one life it would be worth it.

Ziggy
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Well this becomes two fold, you have those that honestly dont know and made a mistake, this is where education helps....
Then you have those that dont care, could care less and have a F$#$ you attitude, and I agree, press hard three copies....
Sometimes education goes alot further than a bill toss from the pocket
Every annual boat registration renewal/original applicant should come with a test that needs to be passed and verified before stickers are issued.....at least the very basics. Not just once but every year.
That would help the truely uneducated folks Kilr mentions, reminds us caring ones and warns the "I don't give a shit crowd".