PDA

View Full Version : 72 Stevens stringers

fastercraft
12-07-2002, 09:08 AM
Just bought my old Stevens flatbottom back. Its not quite how I left it and will need to replace the stringers. What is the best kind of wood to use ?

DansBlown73Nordic
12-07-2002, 04:46 PM
Where in PA are you from? I have a 66 Stevens....... :D

fastercraft
12-08-2002, 06:47 AM
Am familiar with your boat. I looked it over at lake anna in June. Your hull is very similar to mine, if not the same. I live in Waynesboro just north of the MD. PA. line about 5 miles from I-81. I had my blue and white blown BBC Placecraft tunnel at Lake Anna. Am really interested in resurrecting this boat. Think Im going the nostalgia route, roll and plete, flames, etc. Would appreciate all the help I can get.

GofastRacer
12-08-2002, 07:26 AM
fastercraft:
Am familiar with your boat. I looked it over at lake anna in June. Your hull is very similar to mine, if not the same. I live in Waynesboro just north of the MD. PA. line about 5 miles from I-81. I had my blue and white blown BBC Placecraft tunnel at Lake Anna. Am really interested in resurrecting this boat. Think Im going the nostalgia route, roll and plete, flames, etc. Would appreciate all the help I can get.I don't know if this will help with your project but, you can check out my Stevens that I redid back in the early 70's, it was a total piece of shit when I got it!!.. eek!
Stevens (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/gofastracer/lst?.dir=/Stevens&.view=l)

Sangster
12-08-2002, 07:57 AM
fastercraft:
Just bought my old Stevens flatbottom back. Its not quite how I left it and will need to replace the stringers. What is the best kind of wood to use ?You need to find a lumber yard that sells "Stair Stock"..It's the piece you walk on..It may be thiner than what you originally had but that's what they use now.... It comes in long lenghts, is usually straight, wide enough to rip & make two and is usually clear(no knots)It's the best stuff to use. The stringers in my Sanger w/750hp are not even hardwood & no problems.... smilespi smilespi