PDA

View Full Version : Pay Pal scam!!!!

GofastRacer
12-16-2002, 05:50 PM
Just heard on the 6 oclock news, there's a scam going on about Pay Pal!, someone is sending out E-Mails saying they need to update all their information, they interviewed a guy that got ripped and he said it looked like the real thing, a week later, he got a notice from the bank that his account was overdrawn!!..The news team, checked with Pay Pal and they said it was all bullshit, they are not requiring anybody to update their information!!.....Thought I'd let you know just in case you havn't heard about it!!..If you already heard about it then, sorry for the post!!.... eek!

BK
12-16-2002, 05:57 PM
I just opened an account with Pay Pal last week, i'll be watching my emails, thanks for posting this. :)

DansBlown73Nordic
12-16-2002, 06:06 PM
Thanks, I also opened one recently.... eek!

superdave013
12-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Thanks, I use paypal all the time.

Rexone
12-16-2002, 06:40 PM
I had the same thing happen with ebay. Someone posing as ebay admin requesting personal info. I didn't fall for it but would have been easy to. ebay offical email always comes from an ebay.com address, this one didn't. I assume paypal email always comes from a paypal.com or x.com address as well. Also, neither of these sites will ever ask you to update personal info like credit card or bank account by email with a simple form to fill out and reply.
Don't EVER give out your personal financial or ss number to an email solicitor. bad news.

Infomaniac
12-16-2002, 06:59 PM
Never update any info unless you are on their site.
When on their site notice the httpsin the beginning of the URL address. If it is not there it is a fake address.
https://www.paypal.com/

miller19j
12-16-2002, 07:02 PM
I got that e-mail and ignored it because I was in a bad mood and did not want to deal with it. Wow that is the first time being in a bad mood helped me.

12-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up...I don't open anything that has an address I don't recognize.