PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener took a crap....need help finding a replacement

kingsransomracing
07-30-2006, 09:29 PM
I have a Genie Garage Door opener and it has been on its last leg. When I hit the button, the you can hear the buzzing, but nothing works. if you release the garage door from the worm gear (red handle) and hold the button in, after about a few seconds, it finally kicks over. I have been at the house 3 years, and it was already there when I bought the house. So I am going to get a new one.
Any suggestions?
Brand, style.
Can I easily switch to a belt drive?
When I buy the garage door opener, does it come with the rail etc. for the belt to go around? Is it easy enough for the mechanically inclined to install.
What about the springs above the garage door, I spray them monthly with WD-40. Is there a way to tell if they are broken, etc.
Help. Thanks.

Cheap Thrills
07-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Sounds like the start capacitor has took a crap. if it just buzzes. (Easily fixed) I have never seen a broken asist spring. if the door glides fairly easy it's ok. But if the door is heavy as hell there's probably a problem with the spring pre load. If you're dead set on replacing it go with Lift Master or another Genie.
C.T. :wink:

Cas
07-30-2006, 10:01 PM
and if you don't have the proper tools and experience, don't mess with the assist springs! I saw a homeowner fiddling around with the springs with 2 screwdrivers....he was trying to save money and adjust them himself. It only cost him 2 fingers.

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 04:40 AM
Definitely have a garage door expert come out and look at it.

mike37
07-31-2006, 05:13 AM
I have a Genie Garage Door opener and it has been on its last leg. When I hit the button, the you can hear the buzzing, but nothing works. if you release the garage door from the worm gear (red handle) and hold the button in, after about a few seconds, it finally kicks over. I have been at the house 3 years, and it was already there when I bought the house. So I am going to get a new one.
Any suggestions?
Brand, style.
When I buy the garage door opener, does it come with the rail etc. for the belt to go around? Is it easy enough for the mechanically inclined to install.
What about the springs above the garage door, I spray them monthly with WD-40. Is there a way to tell if they are broken, etc.
Help. Thanks.
if you can lift the door by your self the springs should be good if its heavy and hard to lift a spring may be broke if that the case cal a garage door guy to fix it if its just the opener go to home depot and do it your self

Kiddunot
07-31-2006, 06:08 AM
Any suggestions?
Brand, style.
Help. Thanks.
google!!