PDA

View Full Version : running boat out of the water???

mnjettr
07-31-2006, 06:16 AM
is it ok to run my boat (less than a minute)out of the water? I don't want to damage the pump. its a dominator pump. I would also like to find
a parts list/diagram for a dominator. thanks

Wet Dream
07-31-2006, 06:22 AM
No. Just long enough to see if it starts is ok, but not for a minute.

Wet Dream
07-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Less than a minute? Sure, but even if you start it for say 20 seconds, shut it off and restart it for another 20. Nothing has cooled sufficiently. The 2 things you need to worry about when starting dry, is the seals and the wear ring.

Jet Hydro
07-31-2006, 07:35 AM
NO!!!! NOT !!!!! DONT!!!!!!! :argue:
Go here for your parts list.....
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Dominator.HTM

Screemy1
07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
one of the good things about Panther pumps....... :p :p :p and reliability..... :p :p :p :220v: horsepower... auughhh :220v: :220v: that sucks..... jetovato.... that sucks tooo... ridicule from board..... thats the worst........

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
NO!!!! NOT !!!!! DONT!!!!!!! :argue:
Go here for your parts list.....
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Dominator.HTM
Hey JH, Duane says "Sure, Go ahead. We love the business it brings us!" :2purples: :2purples: :eek:

MBlaster
07-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Less than a minute? Sure, but even if you start it for say 20 seconds, shut it off and restart it for another 20. Nothing has cooled sufficiently. The 2 things you need to worry about when starting dry, is the seals and the wear ring.
Most guys I know fire up their boats, go vroom vroom for 3 seconds and shut em down. Or they fire em up just before the transom hits the water when launching. Its nice to know if the freaking thing is going to start before you float off the trailer and go downriver.

IMPATIENT 1
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Most guys I know fire up their boats, go vroom vroom for 3 seconds and shut em down. Or they fire em up just before the transom hits the water when launching. Its nice to know if the freaking thing is going to start before you float off the trailer and go downriver.
i'm with that! i've pushed off the trailer once or twice, sent the truck back to camp, hit the starter, and nothin but dead battery.i can see it damaging parts if ran over 5 seconds, but i like to fire up before my boat even gets wet.

Duane HTP
07-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Try backing the boat into the water to where the pump is under water, but the boat will not float off the trailer. Fire the engine in the water, let it warm up a little and then have your driver back you on into the water for launch. If it doesn't want to start, have the driver pull you out.
Nothing hurt! No dead boat floating in the water! Really pretty simple?

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
I have this weird tendancy to NOT UNHOOK the winch strap from the bow eye untill AFTER she is running, AND all leak-checks have been done. Then the Admiral unhooks me, parks the truck, and I meet her at the dock.

77hallett
07-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Yea what Smokin said. I too have an admiral that parks the truck. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Mine can't back a trailer to save her soul Hallett, or her a$$, but she can pull one like nobody's business. :) :) :) She's also a decent boat driver, but prefers for me to drive. Think I may keep this one. :idea:

Jet Hydro
07-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey JH, Duane says "Sure, Go ahead. We love the business it brings us!" :2purples: :2purples: :eek:
SmokinLowriderSS
I did it one time, right in front of Duane at the lake...lol... he just stood there looking at me...lol... I know what he was thinking :D $$$$$$$ :D

mnjettr
07-31-2006, 06:26 PM
the reason I ask, my alternator doesn't seem to be charging and I was going to do a few checks. I'll just pull it and go through it. JH the parts diagram link you refered me to is poor at best. do you or anyone else on here have a good parts diagram/list for a dominator pump you could send or sell me?? thanks

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 07:25 PM
SmokinLowriderSS
I did it one time, right in front of Duane at the lake...lol... he just stood there looking at me...lol... I know what he was thinking :D $$$$$$$ :D
Yep, you sure do. LOL :p :p

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
the reason I ask, my alternator doesn't seem to be charging and I was going to do a few checks. I'll just pull it and go through it. JH the parts diagram link you refered me to is poor at best. do you or anyone else on here have a good parts diagram/list for a dominator pump you could send or sell me?? thanks
Just take a voltmeter to the lake with ya. Anything less than 13.5V is a problem. Should be typically between 14 and 14.4V. If you have a 1-wire, sometimes you have to spin it pretty good to get it to start charging (like 1500 RPM wing before it'll charge at idle.)

YeLLowBoaT
07-31-2006, 07:30 PM
or you could just pull it off and take it to the local autoparts store.... they will test it for free.

jetmalibu
07-31-2006, 07:48 PM
why not just get you a Y valve with 2 short peices of hose depending on your fittings in the boat for the ends of the hoses... I used some off an old wash machine.. disconect the hose from the pump to the motor and run one short hose to your pump and one to the motor... hook your garden hose to the Y valve and turn the water on, if water is running out of the pump your good to go..

Jet Hydro
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
if water is running out of the pump your good to go..
Not! :argue:
Just dont do it or if you do, get a Jet-A-Way or pull the drive line!
Easy fix.... Pull it off and have it tested and save your pump!

MBlaster
07-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Try backing the boat into the water to where the pump is under water, but the boat will not float off the trailer. Fire the engine in the water, let it warm up a little and then have your driver back you on into the water for launch. If it doesn't want to start, have the driver pull you out.
Nothing hurt! No dead boat floating in the water! Really pretty simple?
Thats cool if there isn't a bunch of ramp sludge getting sucked into your motor, or if you aren't finishing a 5 hour drive through the desert and the trailer bearing buddys are hot as hell.Or if your wife is behind the wheel of a big ass RV. Me, I want that trailer in and out quick. Thus I fire up just before the boat hits the water and we get the fock off the ramp.

77hallett
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Mine can't back a trailer to save her soul Hallett, or her a$$, but she can pull one like nobody's business. :) :) :) She's also a decent boat driver, but prefers for me to drive. Think I may keep this one. :idea:
Thats too funny. Mines is the same way. She had the trailer jacked knife so bad one time she started to cry. i couldnt help laughing. Got in the dog house for that one. :cry: Im keeping her too.
By the way, do u have a lowrider? what kind is it.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-01-2006, 02:38 AM
By the way, do u have a lowrider? what kind is it.
Yes, I do, it's a 1978 Taylor SS, in my avatar. :p I named the boat ya silly goose. :rollside:

jeffroe
08-01-2006, 08:55 AM
JET-A-WAY works great!!! idle on the trailer all you want, just hook-up water from where the pump feeds the motor and let her rip!!

77hallett
08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, I do, it's a 1978 Taylor SS, in my avatar. :p I named the boat ya silly goose. :rollside:
Oh Duh! feel like a retard now. :p

SmokinLowriderSS
08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
LMAO! :)
When naming came up a few years ago, I decided that as low-slung as she is (compared to most boats), as low slung as the trailer is, and rides on the trailer less than a foot off the ground, the sleeper of a muscle engine that really sneaks up on the unsuspecting wacker/Cobalt/Baja driver, then outruns 'em, "Lowrider" really seemed to fit. Everyone agreed, and a short ceremony later (ya gotta have fun), the naming was done.
I think the kids were wanting to disown me at the dock tho, and, being a professional drinker, I don't generally pour perfectly drinkable California bubbly in the water, or throw it into the winds, so THAT was a change of pace for me. LOL

77hallett
08-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Thats kool. I bet the ceremony was a blast too. Now only if some one had a video camera and was recording it. That would be a good thing to see when your out having a barbecue with some friends and some one say's remember when ... And you bust out the tape. that would be priceless. hahaaa!

jetmalibu
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Quote.."Not!
Just dont do it or if you do, get a Jet-A-Way or pull the drive line!"
Whats wrong with running water to your pump, I see everybody do it and Ive never heard of any problems, they even do it at the marine shop.. and whats a Jet-A-Way??

MudPumper
08-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Quote.."Not!
Whats wrong with running water to your pump, I see everybody do it and Ive never heard of any problems, they even do it at the marine shop.. and whats a Jet-A-Way??
Even if you run water to the pump, you won't be getting enough water to the wear ring, and you won't be getting any water into the packing gland. Damage will occur, it may only be a little bit but it all adds up.

77hallett
08-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Dont do it. not a good idea. Madpumper is correct. It will do damage. might not be a lot but u do often enough and you will need to rebuild your pump. Then Duane will be waiting for your call so he can fix your pump. :p

Jet Hydro
08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Quote.."Not!
marine shop????? ok theres the first problem! You wont see a Pump Shop doing it. I worked at a marine shop for many years and they dont know the first thing about Jet Boats.
I`v said all I`m gonna say about it, it`s your boat do as you please. I`ll do my trailer running at the lake and save my pump for playing on the lake.
Good Day :rollside:

mnjettr
08-02-2006, 06:11 AM
I'm sold on NOT running out of the water!! I will be pulling my alternator tonight and bench check it. as far as the trailer thing, I back my boat in, jump in,then the wife pulls the rig out and parks, works out great. thanks for all the responses. I still would like to get a good
parts list/diagram for my dominator pump. anyone??

Jet Hydro
08-02-2006, 07:12 AM
GOOD THINKING!!! :)
What part are you looking for? The diagram I posted is about as good as they get. If you click on it you can enlarge it.

Keithb87
08-02-2006, 07:55 AM
or you could just pull it off and take it to the local autoparts store.... they will test it for free.
Most of the auto parts store can not / will not test it unless they have a replacment part listed in their computer. I've been to NAPA, AUTOZONE AND CHECKER and been told the same thing.

mnjettr
08-02-2006, 09:01 AM
GOOD THINKING!!! :)
What part are you looking for? The diagram I posted is about as good as they get. If you click on it you can enlarge it.
I just want to know this thing inside and out. so when I need to go there its not such a mystery lol
JH, I'm getting a small dribble of water from where the shaft goes into the pump. theres a 2 bolt flange there?? is there a seal or packing behind that?? can I tighten up the flange bolts. thanks again for all the help

Jet Hydro
08-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Yes, there's a packing behind that flange. Just give each bolt 1/2 a turn at a time till is stops leaking. Don't over tighten it, just snug em up.

mnjettr
08-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks JH

El Prosecutor
08-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Yes, there's a packing behind that flange. Just give each bolt 1/2 a turn at a time till is stops leaking. Don't over tighten it, just snug em up.
Jet Hydro knows more about this stuff than I do, but a lot of the gurus will tell you to tighten it just enough so it drips 1 or 2 drops a minute, kind of keeps the shaft lubricated.

Jet Hydro
08-02-2006, 04:54 PM
If the lubricant is warn off the packing it will seep enough to keep lubricated with out 1 or 2 drops a minute. The rope packing will soak up water if you don't over tighten it.
One thing to keep in mind is "WHY" is it leaking???
Has the boat not seen water in a long time?
----------------------> Or <------------------------------
Is the front bearing starting to get some play in it?
I`v seen alot of em start to leak right before the bearing goes out.
Keep an eye on your impeller clearance for the next few times out and make sure your not eating up your pump.

Duane HTP
08-02-2006, 04:59 PM
DOHOO,
Maybe this one is better.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/12S_B1007_diagram.JPG

mnjettr
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
JH, been using the boat off and on the last few weeks, It just had a slight trace of a water dribble, I will keep an eye on it.thanks
Duane, thats exactly what I have been looking for, It printed off nice. thankyou!!!

centerhill condor
08-03-2006, 03:46 AM
my dominator has a water bearing (hydrostatic) on the tail shaft. So no water means no lubrication just good old fashioned friction with the heat! Ran long enough the plastic in the tail bearing will wear improperly and the impeller is out of alignment with the housing. Also, you can/will pick up debris from the road in your pump. Check it before you start at the ramp. It just takes a moment compared to all that overtime for the rebuild fee!

Jet Hydro
08-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Also, you can/will pick up debris from the road in your pump. Check it before you start at the ramp. It just takes a moment compared to all that overtime for the rebuild fee!
Thats why we tape up our intakes before we hit the road. Duane had this thing he calls a "Save A Jet" that takes place of having to tape it up.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/SaveAJet_Cover_3927_700_x_420.jpg

mnjettr
08-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I pulled my boat home from Iola KS., 12 hrs. I didn't think of checking the intake??? oops. got lucky I guess.
FYI. my motorola alternator needed a regulator. 40 bucks, should be good to go now. >>>>>>>> is it saturday yet???????? :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

crussin76
08-03-2006, 07:41 PM
hey dohoo you are fine running the boat out of water as long as you dont grt thr motor hot. and if you are that worried about it hten take a second hose and shove it inside the bowl to put water up there but if you dont have huge horsepower and are not winging the thing to six grand then you will not hurt anything

jbone
08-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Most of the auto parts store can not / will not test it unless they have a replacment part listed in their computer. I've been to NAPA, AUTOZONE AND CHECKER and been told the same thing.
Tell me about it.
Took my alt to Autozone to test voltage. Without knowing the year and make of the vehicle, they were lost.
I told them 2005 Shockwave with a 502. :confused:
Auto parts stores are not like what they used to be. Before, they could help diagnose probs. Now, they don't even know what the part does.
J

SmokinLowriderSS
08-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Best bet is probably an electronic parts re-builder if you can find one in your area.