PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Letter from InsCo sez DMV has no record..

CampbellCarl
07-31-2006, 09:42 AM
of my VIN on file. Of course not, my motorhome is registered in Montana. Letter sez the insurance company sends insurance coverage info to CA DMV and DMV sez they have no record. Insurance Co asks me to verify the VIN. When I do that, will CA DMV chase me for not registered in CA? Anybody here on the boards had this happen? I need to be careful when responding. Any advice? Thanx!

Beer-30
07-31-2006, 09:44 AM
Has it not been registered in the last 5 years? Vehicles w/o any action for 5 years automatically drop out of the system. Usually takes a VIN verification along with a light and brake inspection.

CampbellCarl
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Beer
It's NEVER been reg'd in CA! It's a 1990 that my folks bought new and I bought from them. They reg'd in Montana, and I left it there (the reg). The letter from 21st Century sez "important notice regarding new law.....An important law was past by the state of CA which directly impacts you....the DMV will be required to suspend vehicle registration and electronically inform LE whenever they do not have proof of insurance on a vehicle....the CA DMV has informed us that the VIN we have on file for the above referenced vehicle does not match the DMV vehicle registration files......"
Carl

Cole Trickle
07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Beer
It's NEVER been reg'd in CA! It's a 1990 that my folks bought new and I bought from them. They reg'd in Montana, and I left it there (the reg). The letter from 21st Century sez "important notice regarding new law.....An important law was past by the state of CA which directly impacts you....the DMV will be required to suspend vehicle registration and electronically inform LE whenever they do not have proof of insurance on a vehicle....the CA DMV has informed us that the VIN we have on file for the above referenced vehicle does not match the DMV vehicle registration files......"
Carl
Most CA based Insurance companies require that the drivers and cars have CA Lic/registration.
Chances are they just caught this when DMV informed them the car wasn't registered in the state.
They do this for 2 reasons.(They don't care about your lic fees or taxes)
1.They think the car is being used out of state
2.Your driving a vehicle lic out of state in CA (You are required by law to switch a vehicle to CA within 30 days of living here)

INSman
07-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Most CA based Insurance companies require that the drivers and cars have CA Lic/registration.
Chances are they just caught this when DMV informed them the car wasn't registered in the state.
They do this for 2 reasons.(They don't care about your lic fees or taxes)
1.They think the car is being used out of state
2.Your driving a vehicle lic out of state in CA (You are required by law to switch a vehicle to CA within 30 days of living here)
You "Insurance Guys" just have all the answers, don't you ??!!?? :)

HavasuSelect
07-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Carl, sorry to get off topic but check your pm's for some pics.

Cole Trickle
07-31-2006, 11:06 AM
You "Insurance Guys" just have all the answers, don't you ??!!?? :)
Answers......Yes :idea:
Good Looks........Yes :crossx:
$$$$$$..........No :cry: :p
Correct Answers.........Sometimes;)
Hows the pool? :rollside:

INSman
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Answers......Yes :idea:
Good Looks........Yes :crossx:
$$$$$$..........No :cry: :p
Correct Answers.........Sometimes;)
Hows the pool? :rollside:
CoolDeck today and tomorow, BBQ Island on Friday I think, and we are probably another week from Friday for PebbleFina and water :rollside:

Beer-30
07-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Beer
Carl
Some rules are state specific, but most DMV stuff is DMV nation-wide.
I understand what you have done/are trying to do, but you didn't answer the question. How long SINCE it has been reg'd. Running a vehicle by VIN alone will show current status wherever. If the vehicle has not had any transactions in 5 years, they are auto-deleted.

Cole Trickle
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
CoolDeck today and tomorow, BBQ Island on Friday I think, and we are probably another week from Friday for PebbleFina and water :rollside:
Congrats!!
Your never gonna want to come home now.
When is the pool party? I will bring my floaties and I call top bunk:D :crossx:

INSman
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Congrats!!
Your never gonna want to come home now.
When is the pool party? I will bring my floaties and I call top bunk:D :crossx:
I am thinking about doing something for the RRX5 Regatta weekend in September.

Todd969
07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
I am thinking about doing something for the RRX5 Regatta weekend in September.
Can I drive by and take a look in the backyard tonight?

DMOORE
07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Can't you simply fax your registration to them? Thats all my insco. requires.
Darrell.

CampbellCarl
07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Beer
Is and has always been registered in MT. Mail my check and they mail tag and registration to me in CA.
And thanx for not jacking my thread like those other fockers.....they talk about a pool party and don't even invite the guy whose thread they hi-jacked!
Carl

INSman
07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Can I drive by and take a look in the backyard tonight?
Certainly, just make sure not to step on or near any of the concrete as they are in the process of applying the CoolDeck texture and color. :220v:
Oh, and I guess I better turn off my laser incinerator perimeter security system for you :rollside:

Todd969
07-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Certainly, just make sure not to step on or near any of the concrete as they are in the process of applying the CoolDeck texture and color. :220v:
Oh, and I guess I better turn off my laser incinerator perimeter security system for you :rollside:
That's ok, I can wait until you come back. Dana and I are in quote mode right now and I thought we could go over and see how it looks in person. We are likely going with MVR as the contractor.
Sorry for the jack Carl.

Beer-30
07-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Beer
Is and has always been registered in MT. Mail my check and they mail tag and registration to me in CA.
And thanx for not jacking my thread like those other fockers.....they talk about a pool party and don't even invite the guy whose thread they hi-jacked!
Carl
I would walk into the insurance office and show them the current reg. If you wish to leave it reg'd in Montana, there will be some DMV hoops to jump through. If you wish to reg in CA, they will want a VIN verification and a request for new registration form. These are on the website.
If your insurance has a stipulation that it must be reg'd in CA, then that is between you and them.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-31-2006, 01:16 PM
We just got the same letter and our motie is registered in CA and always has been. I just sent had our finance company handle it.

INSman
07-31-2006, 03:02 PM
That's ok, I can wait until you come back. Dana and I are in quote mode right now and I thought we could go over and see how it looks in person. We are likely going with MVR as the contractor.
Sorry for the jack Carl.
NOOOOOOO, go with Sand Castle !!!! :)
I'll be in town this Friday thru Sunday, come on by :cool: