PDA

View Full Version : Hull types and their handling

tomcei
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
I tried a search but came up empty. Looking for some input on hulls.
Boat needs to be family friendly , forgiving due to driver error at times, accepts plenty of horse play and clowning around. Top speeds around 70ish.
true tunnel w/ forks , gull wing, or standard v-type bottom.
I'm thinking gull wing???
Please fire away with you thoughts. I'm a newbe and need your help.

Jet Hydro
07-31-2006, 03:50 PM
All around lake boat ; Taylor SJ (It`s A V Bottom) :D They take big water and they can also be made to run pretty good. They are a heavy hull so it will take just about all the clowning around you would like to give it. Trust me I`m pretty hard on one!!!!

IMPATIENT 1
07-31-2006, 03:58 PM
All aroung lake boat ; Taylor SJ (It`s A V Bottom) :D They take big water and they can also be made to run pretty good. They are a heavy hull so it will take just about all the clowning around you would like to give it. Trust me I`m pretty hard on one!!!!
i agree 100% lol. taylors are great boats that run really well once the proper mods are done.i love mine, it cuts across others wakes like butter, rides on a cloud, and still bust some ass with it.i have my sj doin low 80's with @750hp and a well loaded 12je pump.i recently caught the "faster hull" bug and am sellin my sj, gonna miss it!

Gearhead
07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Hmm... Now you know I am biased too just as the "Taylor" boat guys are biased..... I like your idea of the "gullwing" boat... They are quick, maneuver well, ride smooth and it does not take a lot of power to make one perform. And after all the TX-19 was originally designed as a circle track boat....

1968Droptop
07-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Hmm... Now you know I am biased too just as the "Taylor" boat guys are biased..... I like your idea of the "gullwing" boat... They are quick, maneuver well, ride smooth and it does not take a lot of power to make one perform. And after all the TX-19 was originally designed as a circle track boat....
I'm pretty happy with my Sanger Custom Sprint. It's a gullwing, with circle track heritage. I'll agree with Gearhead, it doesn't take much to make 'em perform. I'm running a mildly built 460 with low comp iron heads, and I'm seeing the low to mid 70's right now. Now about the riding well, when your hualin *ss over the top of any chop, but at low speeds it's a bit ruff.

poncho-pwr
07-31-2006, 07:13 PM
I honestly do not think it is possible to beat a gullwing TX-19 Youngblood style boat for an all around river/lake/race boat to about 110mph, then you buy a tunnel in my opinion. The Taylor v-bottoms are great as are the Southwinds and all the different splashes of them and Eliminator , Hallet, Rogers, Ultra and a number of other V-bottoms. Rogers is a very close second to the TX-19 gullwings and some will argue they are first not second. If you buy a gullwing be sure and buy a hull that is a proven runner from an experienced quality builder i.e., Youngblood, Earl Smith, CP, Condor, Kustom kraft, because there have been a number of people splash gullwings or make up their own molds and not do a very good job and some of those boats are worthless and hard to make run right. Ask around and talk to the racers and pump builder/boat set-up/builder pros and they will likely tell you the same thing. Even if you only want to go 70 mph now you WILL want to go faster, trust me!!! If you decide that 70mph is fast enough the gullwing is still an excellent choice and probably has the best resale of all of them should you decide you want something else.

1968Droptop
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey Poncho, I didn't see the name Sanger in your post, any reason ? Not trying to stir anything up, just wondering if you know something I don't ? Heavy, unsafe, not fast, or ???
From what I've read, there's not many of my style boats out there (Custom Sprint), and I don't even know what the bottom of a Super Jet looks like ? Just always looking to learn more.

Wicked Performance Boats
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
How about a Wicked Gullwing ?? We really like the handling and performance, and even backpeddling, they stop straight. and you can set up for speeds up to 110+. Our's handles Great on the lakes and rivers and cuts thru waves smooth and safe. The Wicked #3 boat in production now is going to be a Family Boat and able to hit speed of 100+. It will even have a back seat!! Call if your Interested. We prefer the Gullwing Performance!!! Julie and Pat 702-204-5035 or 702-265-1990.

poncho-pwr
07-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey Droptop, I am no boat expert and I am certainly not saying anything bad about the Sangers. I have only seen a couple of Sanger jets and they were both beautiful well built boats. I can't vouch for their performance capabilities because I haven't been around any of them to see them run. I can tell you though that they are not the same bottom as a Youngblood/CP gullwing.

tomcei
08-01-2006, 05:10 AM
thanks for the input guys.
Wicked, I would love to talk about a new one but the funds aren't there

Wicked Performance Boats
08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Tomcei, pm us and maybe our price is lower than you think. We are running a SPECIAL on the first few boats for sale. We would love to work with ya and you can get alot of good used parts to rig with. much lower in cost then and it all still GREAT!!!! Just a thought to keep in mind. :crossx: :220v: :crossx: Julie and Pat

n8dawg
08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Try Miller Custom Boats. They have the most seat room inside any jet boat I've seen. Mine is a perfect all around boat. Simi- V hull design, handles the roughest of water, turns on a dime. Very forgiving! Check them out I think they're good looking, solid boat, built with full stringers.
www.millercustomboats.com

1968Droptop
08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey Droptop, I am no boat expert and I am certainly not saying anything bad about the Sangers. I have only seen a couple of Sanger jets and they were both beautiful well built boats. I can't vouch for their performance capabilities because I haven't been around any of them to see them run. I can tell you though that they are not the same bottom as a Youngblood/CP gullwing.
I'm no expert either, and if claimed to be, then you'd know I wasn't one for sure ...LOL. I didn't think you were saying anything bad about Sangers. Just liked the topic and was keeping my ear open trying to learn more about these hulls and thought I'd ask a ??? or two.
I'm guessing that all G/W bottoms are different in some way or another ? Have you personally seen a Custom Sprint up close ? If so, can you tell me what the differences are between my Sanger and the ones you mentioned ? Are they small or large differences ?

n8dawg
08-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Just thought I'd ask this .... If you want a family boat that does 70 why are you looking for a jet boat?
BUY A MILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have the most room for your family and a cooler and a ez-up and chairs and ect...

tomcei
08-01-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm just looking for something to horse around with that my wife will ride in and is easy to trailer. I currently have a larger go fast. A good friend of mine has a tunnel jet and I am now addicted to throwing roosters and clowning around.

SoCal Power
08-04-2006, 07:08 AM
I honestly do not think it is possible to beat a gullwing TX-19 Youngblood style boat for an all around river/lake/race boat to about 110mph, then you buy a tunnel in my opinion. The Taylor v-bottoms are great as are the Southwinds and all the different splashes of them and Eliminator , Hallet, Rogers, Ultra and a number of other V-bottoms. Rogers is a very close second to the TX-19 gullwings and some will argue they are first not second. If you buy a gullwing be sure and buy a hull that is a proven runner from an experienced quality builder i.e., Youngblood, Earl Smith, CP, Condor, Kustom kraft, because there have been a number of people splash gullwings or make up their own molds and not do a very good job and some of those boats are worthless and hard to make run right. Ask around and talk to the racers and pump builder/boat set-up/builder pros and they will likely tell you the same thing. Even if you only want to go 70 mph now you WILL want to go faster, trust me!!! If you decide that 70mph is fast enough the gullwing is still an excellent choice and probably has the best resale of all of them should you decide you want something else.
Well said pancho-pwr. Good advice for anyone looking to build/buy a 18 to 20 ft jetboat.
db

jrork
08-04-2006, 11:48 AM
If you're looking to stay in the 70mph range, I think all of these will serve you just fine (and I'm not expert nor pretend to be). Once you start stepping up to the big numbers then the folks on here are going to be able to steer you straight and any of their suggestions will probably nail it on the head. I honestly think any of them will be fine to the 70mph your'e shootin for. I've got a Brendella that has kinda a Southwind splash and it does everything I want it to do with no bad handling. I just wish it'd be able to go faster. Oh Well
By the way, absoulutely sick Pantera.........I'm terrible jealous

tomcei
08-04-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks for the info guys. I think I'll start looking at the gull wing.
jrork :)

out of bounds
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
what price range are you in and how many people are in your group ?????? I have had many different low pro jets that ran any where from 55 to 105 and they all had different personalities. So know what you want! I like the gull wings (if they are the splash from the old cp hull).100mph without much work at all. some of the old eliminators run real hard . for the money all of the late 70"s and early 80's customs run real hard ,& are family friendley . with the right set up and money ,you can make it do anything you want. I like some of the ultras owned a few and they all handled h.p very well.

poncho-pwr
08-04-2006, 05:25 PM
(if they are the splash from the old cp hull)
The Youngblood is the original, all others are copies and variations of.

tomcei
08-04-2006, 07:02 PM
has anyone heard of warhawk boats?

olbiezer
08-04-2006, 07:24 PM
hardly any mention of eliminator daytona tunnel hull boats.......i have alot of exp in v hulls and only 10 hrs or so in my daytona but i cant tell any difference in handling......meaning the daytona handles great and doesent seem to want to spin out at all in the turns.........the gullwings are nice though.......no exp at all in them though ...good luck with your next boat :)

Placecraft Dragstar
08-05-2006, 03:12 AM
I BOUGHT A TX-19 FROM THEM THIS YEAR ( GULLWING HULL ) :rollside: :rollside: AND I AM ALMOST DONE WITH RIGGING IT. THEY HAVE A COUPLE BOATS THAT THEY HAVE BUILT THAT RACE IN THE 9'S AND 10'S AND THEY HANDLE AND RUN REAL NICE, AND THEY COST LESS THEN THE CP AND THE QUALITY IN THERE BOAT BUILDING IS VERY VERY NICE WITHOUT THE HIGH DOLLAR FOR IT!!!! THEY ARE A SMALL COMPANY OUT IN THE HILLS OF ALABAMA. VERY NICE PEOPLE TO WORK WITH!!!! :220v: :220v: :220v:

tomcei
08-05-2006, 04:13 AM
good to hear. Jim re gelled my Pantera last year and I was thinking of getting one of his GW. He does good gell work but I hadn't see his boats before.

DUCKY
08-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Yes... A Friend of mine has one with an outboard. The hull was really designed to be a jet, but his runs well. Right around 85 in the 1/4 with a 280hp Merc, and will tickle 100 with a big prop.
I still the think Wicked is one of the best all around boats I've seen, certainly one of the best handling and riding jet hulls around

out of bounds
08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
gull wing hull looks real close to the cp I use to run in the mid 80's . lost track of the molds and that was why I was asking if that was a splash of the cp hulls. Also racesd a daytona in 90 and 91 and was the most perdicatable hull I ever drove, aslong as you did not get more then 3 degress of lift on the nose or over load the the intake. have you looked at some of the old buble deck that are still aroud. They are the reason why we are were we are at in boating today. as long as you get a split bowl with a jet and all of the other goodies will come along with it. AS some one that has been there and done that make sure what ever you buy ,plase make sure it is what you want. Because it dosen't matter what you buy as long as you can go ot the water and enjoy it then IT ALL GOOD so just get what you want.Because you can make it do what you want!!!!!