PDA

View Full Version : Bridge work on the 40

All IN
07-31-2006, 03:58 PM
When in hell is Caltrans or who ever is responsible for fixing the god dam bridges on Highway 40. All summer long traffic gets back up when they go to one lane. Yesterday it backed 5.1 miles and had another 9 miles of one lane.
What a way to end a great weekend in Havsua is to sit in traffic on the way home.
Come on already, FIX THE BRIDGES NOW

FastTimmy
07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Can't you take route 66 around.. Not sure which bridge you mean but I have been taking old 66 around all the construction for the last two years..
Disclaimer....I have not done it this year.. :D
Timmy.....That's right I'm BACK!

Mrs.Racer277
07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
We heard yesterday on the news it will be that way until sometime in Sept. .
Of what year was my question :yuk: :yuk:

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Thats why I have always said we should do away with Caltrans and sub the work out to independent contractors. Look how fast they rebuilt freeways after the Northridge earthquake. If left up to Caltrans they would still be doing that work.

Hustler
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Can't you take route 66 around.. Not sure which bridge you mean but I have been taking old 66 around all the construction for the last two years..
Well were the F have you been?
I go out on thursday night and dont come home till monday so the traffic's not that bad.

DILLIGAF
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Well were the F have you been?
I go out on thursday night and dont come home till monday so the traffic's not that bad.
Go feed the baby
:)

chub
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
WTF are you talking about. That is not the way to go that road is hammered and will ruin your stuff.

Havasu Luvr
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Thats why I ahve always said we should do away with Caltrans and sub the work out to independent contractors. Look how fast they rebuilt freeways after the Northridge earthquake. If left up to Caltrans they would still be doing that work.
Now here is some one with alot of knowledge. Caltrans has been subletting road repairs/improvements for quite a few years now. Caltrans just inspects the phases as they are completed......

shueman
07-31-2006, 05:42 PM
It only took 5 years to do that ONE bridge nearest the rest stop / Essex Road.....since they have 3 more to retro....do the match..... :220v:
Life in an Orange Vest is good.... :cool: :crossx:

Not So Fast
07-31-2006, 05:45 PM
As in another post FYI. The 40 between Barstow and Needles will have bridge repair or retrofitting work going on for the next 16 months, I believe Granite Const. is doing them now and they are one of the largest const companies in the world, Probably going to see Yeager Const. out there also. It is and has been the slowest kind of const work (bridges) so dont think it will get better anytime soon. The work will also be monitored (traffic laws) by CHP so dont let your frustrations get the better of you and start making bad decisions. Just a thought NSF

Not So Fast
07-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Thats why I ahve always said we should do away with Caltrans and sub the work out to independent contractors. Look how fast they rebuilt freeways after the Northridge earthquake. If left up to Caltrans they would still be doing that work.
The reason that work was completed so quickly was that the Companies that did the work were given more or less a write your own ticket kind of thing. All OT was paid for and the work went on 24/7 with early completion benefits that you would not believe. As stated somewhere, CalTrans just inspects the work. I knew some of the operators for Penhall and they got rich tearing up all of that concrete for 70 - 80 hrs a week and some more if they wanted it. NSF

Havasu1986
07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
The reason that work was completed so quickly was that the Companies that did the work were given more or less a write your own ticket kind of thing. All OT was paid for and the work went on 24/7 with early completion benefits that you would not believe. As stated somewhere, CalTrans just inspects the work. I knew some of the operators for Penhall and they got rich tearing up all of that concrete for 70 - 80 hrs a week and some more if they wanted it. NSF
THat company made a fortune for finishing months ahead of schedule.

missspent
07-31-2006, 06:44 PM
My brother-in-law works for Cal Trans...Nuff said.
http://www.lakehavasucityinfo.com

Trout66
07-31-2006, 06:49 PM
I've only been going out there for 15 years or so and it seems like they are continually f-ing with those bridges. Let's get it right this time!!

shueman
07-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Since the 40 is an Interstate, the projects are Fed Funded, I assume...???
I just seems that the 40 in AZ is a much nicer highway than the 40 in Cali....that small stretch betwen the Moabi turnoff and the bridge is a MESS....and has been for some years..... :rolleyes:

Not So Fast
08-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Since the 40 is an Interstate, the projects are Fed Funded, I assume...???
I just seems that the 40 in AZ is a much nicer highway than the 40 in Cali....that small stretch betwen the Moabi turnoff and the bridge is a MESS....and has been for some years..... :rolleyes:
I dont know who funded the work on the bridges? :confused: I think they have some real compaction problems in that area you mentioned (or settlement) sort of like the O.C. 241 toll road went thru after it's completion. Bridge work has always been slow moving, just the nature of the beast I guess, but it will be ongoing for quite a while :frown: Peace NSF

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Never claimed to know anything about it. Just didnt know Caltrans subbed the work out. Always figured and assumed Caltrans did all the work themselves due to the union issues.
Now here is some one with alot of knowledge. Caltrans has been subletting road repairs/improvements for quite a few years now. Caltrans just inspects the phases as they are completed......

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 07:08 AM
I do remember reading that those companies had huge payoff for getting the work completed early.

Havasu Luvr
08-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Never claimed to know anything about it. Just didnt know Caltrans subbed the work out. Always figured and assumed Caltrans did all the work themselves due to the union issues.
Sorry, I should have made it a "FYI",
also, the I40 E from before Park Moabi exit and the bridge will always have problems. The natural soil is valcanic ash and no matter how much base they put down for the hwy it will never compact. Every time the soil get moisture it moves thus buckling the AC and asphalt. "Never ending story.....
Most gov agency's sublet work, it is more cost effective to do so with all liability on the sub-contractors......Caltrans, local government, the military is the biggest sublet contractor out there. Most everything is now operated by civilians on our military bases.

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 07:59 AM
No harm no foul. Caltrans definitely has their work cut out for them with all the bridge and pot hole repairs going on in the state. Am sure subbing the work out does help some.
Sorry, I should have made it a "FYI",
also, the I40 E from before Park Moabi exit and the bridge will always have problems. The natural soil is valcanic ash and no matter how much base they put down for the hwy it will never compact. Every time the soil get moisture it moves thus buckling the AC and asphalt. "Never ending story.....
Most gov agency's sublet work, it is more cost effective to do so with all liability on the sub-contractors......Caltrans, local government, the military is the biggest sublet contractor out there. Most everything is now operated by civilians on our military bases.

Not So Fast
08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
No harm no foul. Caltrans definitely has their work cut out for them with all the bridge and pot hole repairs going on in the state. Am sure subbing the work out does help some.
How would you you know unless you were in that line of work?? Dont sweat it, hell I dont know anything about brain surgery. Havasu Luvr is right about the soil around Moabi. On the 241 (OC) a company I knew had to move a lot of dirt because they said it was on an unstable slope alongside the road or something like that and it was pushing the road down the canyon and making it buckle?? They leveled it off for about 300 ft and I guess it sloved the problem. There are lots of problems involved in stablizing dirt (soil), more than you can imagine! NSF

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Agree, would have no way of knowing since not in that line of work. Isnt the soil in most of CA considered clay?
How would you you know unless you were in that line of work?? Dont sweat it, hell I dont know anything about brain surgery. Havasu Luvr is right about the soil around Moabi. On the 241 (OC) a company I knew had to move a lot of dirt because they said it was on an unstable slope alongside the road or something like that and it was pushing the road down the canyon and making it buckle?? They leveled it off for about 300 ft and I guess it sloved the problem. There are lots of problems involved in stablizing dirt (soil), more than you can imagine! NSF

Not So Fast
08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Agree, would have no way of knowing since not in that line of work. Isnt the soil in most of CA considered clay?
Depends on where you are, lots of different soils there, from pure sand to solid rock and everything in between and they all have there own characteristics (sp) when it comes to compaction. Only way to learn is to do it for years, which I did. NSF

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
I know the Santa Clarita Valley area has a lot of clay.
Depends on where you are, lots of different soils there, from pure sand to solid rock and everything in between and they all have there own characteristics (sp) when it comes to compaction. Only way to learn is to do it for years, which I did. NSF

Hardly Satisfied
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
When in hell is Caltrans or who ever is responsible for fixing the god dam bridges on Highway 40. All summer long traffic gets back up when they go to one lane. Yesterday it backed 5.1 miles and had another 9 miles of one lane.
What a way to end a great weekend in Havsua is to sit in traffic on the way home.
Come on already, FIX THE BRIDGES NOW
we never get stuck in taffic going to havasu

Throttle
08-01-2006, 07:11 PM
we never get stuck in taffic going to havasu
its easier not to get stuck in traffic when you live in havi...lol :rollside: