PDA

View Full Version : The curse of childhood fame:

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Who remembers THESE kids? (and dog)
Pete the Pup (? 1930) - An unknown assailant poisoned the original Pete.
Robert Hutchins “Wheezer” - (3/29/25 - 3/17/45) - Died in an airplane accident at the age of 19.
William Robert Laughlin “Froggy” - (7/05/32 - 8/31/48) - Died in a bicycle accident at the age of 16.
Robert H. Young “Bonedust” (9/15/17 - 9/10/51) - Died in a hotel fire, which started when he fell asleep smoking in bed.
Dorothy Dandridge “Dorothy” (11/09/23 9/08/65) - Committed suicide after an investment scheme caused her to go bankrupt.
Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer - (7/7/27 - 1/21/59) Shot and Killed by a dog owner in a dispute over $50
Harold Switzer “Deadpan” or “Slim” - (1/16/25 - 4/14/67) As was the case with his brother, Harold was also killed following a dispute with another man.
Scotty Beckett “Scotty” - (10/04/29 - 5/10/68) Died in a Hollywood nursing home after being severely beaten two days prior to his admittance. A bottle of pills and a note were found at the scene, however the coroner never determined the exact cause of death. He was just 38 years old.
Darla Hood “Darla” - (11/08/31 - 6/13/79) - Hospitalized for hepatitis in 1979, she soon died under what was later ruled to be “suspicious circumstances.”
Kendall McComas “Breezy Brisbane” - (10/29/16 - 10/15/81) - Two weeks before his 65th birthday and apparent forced retirement from the U.S. Naval Weapons Center in China Lake, California, he committed suicide.
Robert Blake “Mickey” - (9/18/33 - present) - On April 18, 2002, he was arrested and charged with the murder of his wife, Bonnie Lee Bakely.
Darwood Kaye “Waldo” - (9/08/29 - 5/15/2002) - Killed by a hit and run driver while walking on the sidewalk.
Jay R. Smith “Jay R” - (8/29/15 - 10/05/2002) - Stabbed to death and left in the desert by a homeless man he had befriended.

Nord
07-31-2006, 04:42 PM
a little before my time, but I watched the little rascals as a kid......
I heard Alfalfa was killed as well, or did you mention that??

uvindex
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Snopes :) (http://www.snopes.com/movies/other/ourgang.asp)

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Snopes :) (http://www.snopes.com/movies/other/ourgang.asp)
Well, I'm not claiming the "curse" angle as legit RatherBe ..... Just noting the unusual, and highly unfortunate occurences of a group of child actors. Seems an acting career isn't the greatest thing for children. Spanky died to ... but of a Heart Attack, in his mid 70's.
Next I think of the Partridge Family (well, Danny at least), and Arnold and Willis.

uvindex
07-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, I'm not claiming the "curse" angle as legit RatherBe ..... Just noting the unusual, and highly unfortunate occurences of a group of child actors. Seems an acting career isn't the greatest thing for children. Spanky died to ... but of a Heart Attack, in his mid 70's.But did you read the Snopes article? :) Curse aside, here's a quote: "Frankly, the first thing that seems evident from this list is that the Our Gang bunch has been, on average, remarkably long-lived (especially considering that many of the men served in the military during World War II). "

Cheap Thrills
07-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Subject: Buckwheat and Darla
Buckwheat and Darla were in school, and the teacher asked Darla, "How
do you spell 'dumb'?"
Darla said, "D-u-m-b, dumb."
The teacher said, "Very good. Now use it in a sentence."
The girl said, "Buckwheat is dumb."
Now spell "stupid."
Darla said, "S-t-u-p-i-d, stupid."
The teacher said, "Very good. Now use it in a sentence."
Darla said, "Buckwheat is stupid."
Then the teacher called on Buckwheat and said, "Buckwheat, spell
'dictate.'"
Buckwheat stood up and said, "D-i-c-t-a-t-e, dictate."
The teacher replied, "Very good. Now use it in a sentence."
"I may be dumb, and I may be stupid, but Darla says my dictate good." :D
C.T. :wink:

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2006, 05:52 PM
No, I will fess up to not reading the whole article RatherBe, Thx for the heads up on the bottom line you intended. :)
That is darned funny CT. LOL

slink
07-31-2006, 06:03 PM
What about the girl that played "Buffy". Didn't she commit suicide at like 16?