PDA

View Full Version : Good 5 1/4's

welk2party
07-31-2006, 06:48 PM
I want to replace my Kicker 5 1/4's with something better. Any ideas? Also, I am going to be adding two more JL 10's to compliment the 12 I have already. I have 2 Kicker amps...one is a 4 channel and one is a 5 channel. I think I will need another amp just for the 10's, correct? do I go mono...need some baisc design help I guess.

Run_em_Hard
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
IMO I would add two more 12". Run either 10's or 12's, not both. I have memphis audio 5 1/4's. They are really good. Nice, crisp sound. For the amp question, if your four channel is strong enough to run all your subs how loud you want than just use that. If not get how ever many amps as you want subs and that would work awesome. You can get them in a mono or a two channel and bridge(what I would do). Just my .02

Jesster
08-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Dont run your subs from a multi channel amp. Use a good quality class D amp. Much more efficient (less heat and more battery time). You can easily run more than one sub per amp but you need to find out a few things. Are your current subs dual or single voice coil and what are the ohms of each voice coil. Find out the same info on the subs you are purchasing then wire them accordingly. If you have to run them at 2 ohms make sure your amp is 2 ohm stable. I wouldnt hesitate to run 10's and 12's each will have its own sweet spot as far as the frequency range they will cover. The replacments for the 5 1/4's depends on thewatts per channel of your amps and how much you want to spend. You will get a wide range of responses and they will all be good but the best way to narrow it down is to take the reccomendations and go listen to them yourself. How many watts per channel are your amps, what is the ohm rating of your subs, are they in an enclosure or free air, same question with the new subs, and how many battery's and what kind are they. The more info you can supply the better the answers will be. Let us know.....

welk2party
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys...
I think the only way to find the speakers I want is to go listen to a bunch and decide. The 12 I have now is a Kicker as well and it is in a sealed enclosure but I have been told it is in a bad place since it is buried in the boat. For the watts the amps put out, I would have to look it up. My thinking was to add a couple of 10's in a better location, but I see no reason to remove the 12. I will likely go with just one good amp for the new subs and I have a huge area that I can use as a sealed enclosure. I am running 3 deep cycle batteries for everything except the motor which has its own.