PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Vs. Sea Ray Death pool

Froggystyle
07-31-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a close family friend that against the better advice of everyone he knows is driving to Eufaula, AL to trailer a very dilapidated 21 foot production boat daycruiser back to Sonoma, CA. Against the advice because of his tow vehicle of choice... a 1995 Jeep Wrangler with 130K on the clock.
So, we did the only thing you really can do when a grown adult you know has made a truly stupid decision... make fun of him at his expense! What happenned next is pretty funny. We started a "Death Pool" for the Jeep. To know Brian, the guy doing it is to know he will not let a little thing like rated tow capacity, available power or brakes stop him from going and getting his free boat, and he let us in on the route he plans to take.
The following is the e-mail sent out to the family members and close friends. It quickly grew through word of mouth and went from myself and my brother along with his Dad to our entire extended family... We are at 15 people or so now with a much larger than originally anticipated pot. I will keep all of you posted on the results of the journey...
Hi Everyone!
The premise is simple. It seems obvious that Brian and Clay’s trip is fraught with issues from a fundamental level. Not the least of which is the choice of tow vehicle. Considering the years and miles on the Jeep, it’s heavy use off-road and for long-distance commuting, its time spent in Alaska etc… combined with the huge mechanical disadvantage it has against the nearly 5,000 pound combined weight of a 21’ Sea Ray with tandem axle trailer… we all concur that it isn’t really a matter of “If” it breaks down big-time but “when”. Under-rated tow vehicle aside, there is the issue of a little-used trailer and boat in extreme disrepair. Under any other circumstance, this would be the kind of event that any of us would feel a duty to keep a young kid from trying. However, as Brian is nearly 40 years old, an airline pilot, college graduate and prior military, we are extremely comfortable with instead making fun of him for it and wagering on exactly “where” the inevitable “when” is going to take place!
A couple of interesting facts and stats regarding the “Wrangler vs. Sea Ray Trail of Tears” event:
1995 Jeep Wrangler 4wd
Engine: 2.5L 4 cyl 125 Horsepower (For the record, my Ducati motorcycle has 6 more horsepower)
Curb Weight: 3100# (This is the actual dry weight of the Jeep unloaded, no fuel)
Gross Trailer Weight: 1,000#
Actual Estimated Trailer Weight: >5000# (Depending on the weight of the trailer, total weight of boat and trailer, no fuel or cargo is estimated by Sea Ray to be between 4900 and 5600 pounds)
Estimated Trailer Overload Percentage: 500%
Gross Vehicle Weight: 4,300#. (This is the total load rating advertised for the vehicle including tongue weight, trailer weight, occupants and fuel. In other words, the legal limit for total weight going down the road for this particular Jeep)
Actual Estimated Gross Vehicle Weight: 8570# (This includes the 3100# Jeep, the 5000# boat and trailer, 180# for Brian, 60 for Clay, 120 pounds of fuel and approximately 100 pounds for gear, which may be light. If they pick up anything along the way, you can add it to the total)
Estimated Overload Percentage: Nearly 200% Over GVW
Estimated Value of boat getting retrieved: $1200 (This is probably wildly optimistic)
Total Miles of Trip: 2730 Miles
Total Drive time*: 46 hours, 26 minutes (*Drive time calculated at normal driving speeds and does not take into consideration towing with an 11 year old Jeep that is double overloaded)
Reduce a lot of those numbers due to larger tire size and diameter (harder on the clutch and brakes) and you see not only what I consider a gross safety issue, but at the least a vehicle decidedly not rated to tow this kind of load.
Factors to consider:
1) Trip may never be embarked upon.
a. Brian may realize after he hooks the trailer to the Jeep and squats the back end down that this is a terrible idea and not get any further.
2) Long uphills are hard on engines, short steep uphills are hard on clutches and engines
3) No mechanical part associated with cooling, drivetrain or brakes is safe in this situation
OKÂ… now for the rules
1) No telling Brian. If he finds outÂ… all bets are off
2) $20 buy in. One waypoint only
3) The “closest” guess will be determined by using “Google Earth” and doing a straight-line distance between the guessed waypoint and the point of breakdown, not the point of repair.
4) Choose your “waypoint” from the list below as the point that the vehicle will actually break down.
a. Break down is defined as a mechanical failure serious enough to require either a tow to a mechanic or a stop at a mechanic.
i. If in the event of a multiple-breakdown event, the following rules apply
1. The most serious breakdown is the winner
2. Each minor breakdown will pay $20 to the person whose chosen point is closest until the entire pot is gone.
a. (As an example, if the Jeep loses a water pump in Meridian, but is repaired and continues the trip but eventually dies in Dallas, the person closest to Meridian gets $20, the person closest to Dallas gets the remainder of the pot. If the water pump is the most serious break down of the tripÂ… the person closest to that failure gets the pot)
3. Payoff occurs at the conclusion of BrianÂ’s journey home, with or without the Jeep. If he actually abandons the Jeep for repair (i.e. flies home to wait it out, the last place it broke will be deemed the winner)
4. A grenaded motor is an immediate winner, full payment, full remaining pot.
5) Explain why that particular waypoint. Should be good for a few laughs on itÂ’s own.
6) If in the extremely unlikely event Brian makes it home with the Jeep unscathed, he gets the entire pot.
Here is the list of towns figuring on guaranteed waypoints in Dallas, Carlsbad Caverns, Phoenix, Palm Springs, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo. The assumption is that he will stick to the low route (20 to the 10) to avoid hills. This also assumes a likely Grapevine-bypass of the 101 to avoid the steepest grade of the trip. If he does take the Grapevine instead of the 101, any bet with the 101 Bypass in parenthesis will be voided. (FYI, Gorman is at the top of the Grapevine and is a near shoe-in for a failure if he unwisely chooses the 5 North but somehow made it that far). Conversely, if he wisely chooses the 101 Bypass, any choice with Grapevine Route will be voided.
Wrangler “Death Pool” Itinerary
Alabama
Eufaula (Choose this if you donÂ’t think he will even hook it up)
Midway
Union Springs
Montgomery
Selmont
Uniontown
Bellamy
Mississippi
Meridian
Newton
Jackson
Edwards
Louisiana
Tallulah
Monroe
Grambling
Shreveport
Texas
Waskom
Tyler
Dallas
Abilene
Odessa
Pecos
New Mexico
Carlsbad
Texas (2)
El Paso
Canutillo
New Mexico (2)
Las Cruces
Deming
Lordsburg
Arizona
San Simon
Willcox
Tucson
Eloy
Phoenix
Quartzite
California
Blythe
Indio
Palm Springs
Beaumont
Colton
Los Angeles
Gorman (Grapevine Route)
Coalinga (Grapevine Route)
Merced (Grapevine Route)
Tracy (Grapevine Route)
Santa Barbara (101 Bypass)
San Luis Obispo (101 Bypass)
Salinas (101 Bypass)
Gilroy (101 Bypass)
San Jose (101 Bypass)
Hayward
Send me your vote today and I will compile the list and send it out to everyone this evening. Need the info in my inbox by 7:00 for it to count.

DILLIGAF
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Pretty funny Wes. Good luck to him :)

KACHINA KEN
07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Theres an old Irish proverb that reads to the effect of " The Lord loves a tryer" So do I, if his crazy ass breaks down within 150 miles of Shreveport Louisiana or Phoenix Arizona, the Kirkaldys got his back.

THOR
07-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I have been through Eufaula while going to school at Auburn. I strongly disagree with his decision to go there.
Was that your question? :cool:

Froggystyle
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Theres an old Irish proverb that reads to the effect of " The Lord loves a tryer" So do I, if his crazy ass breaks down within 150 miles of Shreveport Louisiana or Phoenix Arizona, the Kirkaldys got his back.
Noted. I am actually thinking about buying www.jeepdeathpool.com and updating it for everyone to keep tabs on and post sentiments regarding the trip. He obviously won't see it until the bet is over, but it would make for some great reading after the trip is done!
I know that if it was me trying something like this I would shoot the clutch out the side in twenty minutes. Like you said though... The Lord loves a tryer so there is the clause in there that if he makes it, we send him the pool for giving us all a good laugh!

Froggystyle
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
I have been through Eufaula while going to school at Auburn. I strongly disagree with his decision to go there.
Was that your question? :cool:
No... but funny. :D

HocusPocus
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
break downs are one thing.. i just hope he is careful so there won't be any accidents. good luck to him. :)

Mandelon
07-31-2006, 07:49 PM
I have a 94 Wrangler, with larger than normal tires, and a minor lift. Same peewee 4 banger motor, I can hit 75 mph downhill, but I swear its impossible to better 60 going uphill any real grade on the freeway. 5th gear is a downhill only event. :rolleyes:
When you arrive anywhere you feel as though you've done a 50 situp workout, cuz it bounces more than Frenchie's midcabin on a Saturday night.
Tell him to wear earplugs, cuz he'll be deaf by the time he's 4 hours into his trip. It is quieter with the top off than on. Of course on the way back, he will have to rent a big Uhaul to put the jeep inside of, and to tow the boat back with.. :idea:
I think he'll be lucky to get the Wrangler all the way there without a breakdown. :cry:
I will watch this with great interest, please keep us posted.

Magic34
07-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Wes, however funny, I would give your friend one more bit of info before going.
I have read a lot of this on the glamis site I go over to in the towing section.
Basically, if he exceeds the capacity of the Jeep in weight limitations, and there is an accident, insurance will not cover it. If something tragic was to happen, it would be a long battle with the insurance company, because they will not even cover any liability with it wither.
You stated some very specific facts, and by overlaoding the vehicle by ther percentages you stated, there is a clear line of neglect that they could easily prove.
Edit: I just read that this was a Wrangler. Not good, this is a very bad decision, and if there is an accident, not only is his safety on the line, but that insurance thing is a really big deal if something happens.
On another note, what spot can I still get in on? I would like to pick Mississippi. Been there once and never going back. Hope that I can get some money back after wasting a business trip there, and this would be a great opportunity. The Jeep will quit in Biloxi, Mississippi.

Tom Brown
07-31-2006, 07:51 PM
If he has a manual transmission, I think there's a good chance he'll make it. The automatic is a little less likely but he still has a shot.

YeLLowBoaT
07-31-2006, 07:55 PM
you know its sad, my pos work truck 87 gmc s-15 ( also has 125 hp v6 with auto) with 187k miles has a better shot of make that trip then the jeep does...

Jordy
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Now that's funny right there, scary, but still funny. Let me know when/if he gets near phoenix with the boat and I'll do some stealth photography. :D :D :D

Froggystyle
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Wes, however funny, I would give your friend one more bit of info before going.
I have read a lot of this on the glamis site I go over to in the towing section.
Basically, if he exceeds the capacity of the Jeep in weight limitations, and there is an accident, insurance will not cover it. If something tragic was to happen, it would be a long battle with the insurance company, because they will not even cover any liability with it wither.
You stated some very specific facts, and by overlaoding the vehicle by ther percentages you stated, there is a clear line of neglect that they could easily prove.
On another note, what spot can I still get in on? I would like to pick Mississippi. Been there once and never going back. Hope that I can get some money back after wasting a business trip there, and this would be a great opportunity. The Jeep will quit in Biloxi, Mississippi.
You are on it... I will hold your input in trust.
I actually didn't count on coming here and increasing the pot. I just thought it was absolutely hilarious. Since Biloxi isn't on the actual hypothetical route, we go back to the "Straight line" distance from the breakdown clause in rule #3. My Dad chose Alpine, TX though it isn't on his projected route either because he thinks he is going to decide to swerve further south to avoid more hills and end up breaking down in Alpine.
Same with my uncle... he bet Van Horn, TX because he has been there and broken down. He also is entertaining a side bet that he will end up in Chuy's if he breaks down there...

2Driver
07-31-2006, 07:57 PM
The 1995 jeep was designed and engineered back in 1985 a time when little expertise was coming from American manufacturing let alone car manufactures.
I say the hitch breaks when he hooks it up. :rollside: Vegas would give better odds if he was towing with a Rhino.
BTW: Magic34 is right on, it would be very ugly if anything negative happened

vmjtc3
07-31-2006, 07:57 PM
What worries me is that after reading the whole thing, there is a 60 pound passenger. I would say someone please make sure no children are allowed on this trip. It is one thing to be dumb and have a boat push you under the back of semi but why risk it with a kid. Other than that I got a 20 that says he dont get 50 miles out of town afer he loads up the boat....... :220v:

Magic34
07-31-2006, 07:58 PM
You are on it... I will hold your input in trust.
I actually didn't count on coming here and increasing the pot. I just thought it was absolutely hilarious. Since Biloxi isn't on the actual hypothetical route, we go back to the "Straight line" distance from the breakdown clause in rule #3. My Dad chose Alpine, TX though it isn't on his projected route either because he thinks he is going to decide to swerve further south to avoid more hills and end up breaking down in Alpine.
Same with my uncle... he bet Van Horn, TX because he has been there and broken down. He also is entertaining a side bet that he will end up in Chuy's if he breaks down there...
Actually, I think he is going to hit that armpit area where the swapms are, and the jeep will break down and he will launch the boat in the swamp and attempt to tow the boat, but then he is screwed when he runs out of swamp.

Magic34
07-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Well, after almost a year has passed since my buddy lost control of his FS3000 toy hauler being pulled by his F-250 coming down Sierra pass. He had sway bars and bags. The trailer swayed somehow and took over the control of his tow rig. He ended up smashing into another vehicle and the passenger in the other was killed and the driver injured.
The highway patrol cited him for hauling the trailer with a tow vehicle that was not rated for the weights of the trailer even though he was not too loaded up. The injured sued him big time, the insurance company disowned him due to the fact that he was improperly rigged and was "using his vehicle for purposes not intended by the manufacturer" even though they insured both vehicles.
He is awaiting trial for manslaughter, lost a civil suit for 1.2 million dollars, of which he was able to get 300,000 dollars from his insurances company sold his home, toys and vacation property to pay for it.
His wife divorced him and he is probably going to do some time.
Bottom line is the man is broke, lost his wife, affected PERMANENTLY the life of another man, and killed a woman all because he didn't want to spend another few grand for the right sized tow vehicle.
Moral of this lesson: BE WARNED! You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs, PRAY you never get in an accident!
If you have any questions about this, I know the whole story and would be happy to share if any of you want to know more.

squirt'nmyload
07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
i'm hoping he atleast makes it to phoenix with this thing. i gotta see this!!!

Mandelon
07-31-2006, 08:05 PM
He'll be lucky if the front wheels are still on the ground when he hooks the boat to it. :rolleyes:
The Jeep is so short, maybe half the length of the boat? It could tow a boat around the trailer park, but cross a few counties.....don't count on it.

Froggystyle
07-31-2006, 08:06 PM
What worries me is that after reading the whole thing, there is a 60 pound passenger. I would say someone please make sure no children are allowed on this trip. It is one thing to be dumb and have a boat push you under the back of semi but why risk it with a kid. Other than that I got a 20 that says he dont get 50 miles out of town afer he loads up the boat....... :220v:
We are actually ensuring that the kid doesn't go on the trip. He rode out there with his Dad, but his wife and other kid are flying out to hang with him for a couple of days and we are heavily petitioning to have her bring the kid home with her.
These are big boy rules, but we agree after looking at the raw facts as I stated them here and have all called it stupid and dangerous to him personally.
The newest two side bet options have recently cropped up as well... the first is how long until he needs the trailer bearings and tires replaced. It will almost certainly need both after over 15 years of neglect.
The second is how many miles until he gets pulled over by the highway patrol and issued a truly monumental ticket. Neither play into the Jeep Death Pool as we are truly only interested in what exact town it will inevitably shit the bed.
You guys want to hear what the current bets and responses are from the immediate family and friends?

Froggystyle
07-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Other than that I got a 20 that says he dont get 50 miles out of town afer he loads up the boat....... :220v:
You seriously in on it? I know Magic34 is... If so, we are going to have to pinpoint the location out of town, as there is four people or so thinking the same thing... :D
Between Eufaula and Montgomery I put two towns... Midway and Union Springs. Midway is 27 miles, so if he is more than 13.5 from town you would win, and Union Springs is another 14 miles. Next one is Montgomery at 91miles away, then Selmont at 131...

vmjtc3
07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
oh yeah I am in......... Besides like you said if he makes it I am going to get 20 bucks worth of entertainment just watching this deal go down :rollside:

CornWater
07-31-2006, 08:21 PM
I had a 92' Jeep Wrangler as my second car... I'm thinking all the way baby...
:)

Tom Brown
07-31-2006, 08:22 PM
You are one bitter son of a bitch, C1. :D :D :D
I agree with you though, in that it will probably make it. I'll bet he's a good driver and there is no major drama.

Tom Brown
07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
My apologies. You are sweetness and light. :)

KACHINA KEN
07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
on a side note, Jeep is releasing a diesel Grand Cherokee this year or next.

Tom Brown
07-31-2006, 08:39 PM
on a side note, Jeep is releasing a diesel Grand Cherokee this year or next.
... and Wes' brother will be towing a frigate with it as part of a Jeep promotion. :cool:

HavasuSelect
07-31-2006, 08:40 PM
I think you should sneak a GPS on his ride and buy that website. That way everyone can know exactly where he is at all times.

KACHINA KEN
07-31-2006, 08:43 PM
... and Wes' brother will be towing a frigate with it as part of a Jeep promotion. :cool:
The revolution is mighty yes but the US Navy has not designated it as a "Frigate" although the Canadian Navy has. The US Navy is looking at two possible nomenclatures.
R.A.A.C - Rapid Amphibious Assault Craft.
S.L.P.C - Shore Leave Poonanny Catcher.
I'll let Wes spill the beans when they make a final decision.

Magic34
07-31-2006, 08:46 PM
That is a good bed time story and has about as much actual fact in it as the Alice in Wonderland book......There are many versions of this BS story all over the net.
As for insurance the info you posted on your previous post is incorrect as well
You want to tell us more stories?
My bet is on the jeep making it....Amazingly it is rated to tow 4400lbs in Europe
You serious?? Makes sense to me. Insurance compies look for an out.
By the way, you dont have to talk shit for me thinking I am posting something I thought to be true if you find untrue. I was simply thinking I was offering some advice to help make a good decision, and I stand by that advice whether that story is true or untrue.

Magic34
07-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Here you go.....
The Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Goldilocks. She went for a walk in the forest. Pretty soon, she came upon a house. She knocked and, when no one answered, she walked right in.
At the table in the kitchen, there were three bowls of porridge. Goldilocks was hungry. She tasted the porridge from the first bowl.
"This porridge is too hot!" she exclaimed.
So, she tasted the porridge from the second bowl.
"This porridge is too cold," she said
So, she tasted the last bowl of porridge.
"Ahhh, this porridge is just right," she said happily and she ate it all up.
After she'd eaten the three bears' breakfasts she decided she was feeling a little tired. So, she walked into the living room where she saw three chairs. Goldilocks sat in the first chair to rest her feet.
"This chair is too big!" she exclaimed.
So she sat in the second chair.
"This chair is too big, too!" she whined.
So she tried the last and smallest chair.
"Ahhh, this chair is just right," she sighed. But just as she settled down into the chair to rest, it broke into pieces!
Goldilocks was very tired by this time, so she went upstairs to the bedroom. She lay down in the first bed, but it was too hard. Then she lay in the second bed, but it was too soft. Then she lay down in the third bed and it was just right. Goldilocks fell asleep.
As she was sleeping, the three bears came home.
"Someone's been eating my porridge," growled the Papa bear.
"Someone's been eating my porridge," said the Mama bear.
"Someone's been eating my porridge and they ate it all up!" cried the Baby bear.
"Someone's been sitting in my chair," growled the Papa bear.
"Someone's been sitting in my chair," said the Mama bear.
"Someone's been sitting in my chair and they've broken it all to pieces," cried the Baby bear.
They decided to look around some more and when they got upstairs to the bedroom, Papa bear growled, "Someone's been sleeping in my bed,"
"Someone's been sleeping in my bed, too" said the Mama bear
"Someone's been sleeping in my bed and she's still there!" exclaimed Baby bear.
Just then, Goldilocks woke up and saw the three bears. She screamed, "Help!" And she jumped up and ran out of the room. Goldilocks ran down the stairs, opened the door, and ran away into the forest. And she never returned to the home of the three bears.
THE END

rerfert
07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
So if the Jeep owner is smart,he would drive across town and rent a full sized truck...make the trip...return the truck...drive the Jeep back home.
I think a rental truck would be cheaper (and much safer) in the long run.
I couple friends with a 2005 Jeep Grand Wagoneer V8 tried to pull a 21 foot bayliner.....The Jeep would pull fine but won't stop a 21 foot Bayliner...after the Bayliner pushed the Jeep thru the second intersection :rolleyes: they slowly returned home.
A Sea Ray is heavier than a Bayliner and will surely push arround and kill a tired 4 banger Jeep.
Here's luck on his trip.

OCMerrill
07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Basic truths the way I see it....
1. Insurance - Incident while towing over loaded or exceeding rating - who knows but most likely they (ins. co.) would pay to the limits of the coverage, then cancel you. There is your punishment right there. Sub standard insurance for years to come. $$$$$$
2. Civil Case - Open to ANYONE if they so choose with a jury. Outcome...who knows roll the dice. Have a good litigator on your side and be OJ!
3. A Jeep (I have owned a few and own a Rubicon LJ currently) with a 2.5 four cyl towing 5k in weight...I will bet it can be done. ItÂ’s not what I would do but, there is always 4low. Pull the front shaft.
4. Think about all the times you have been trapped on highway 40 behind two truckers racing each other at 55-60 mph and in a dead heat side by side blocking you from passing for miles. All the while you sit and wait it out just ready to go ballistic. That will be this guy in front of someone except at 30 mph (5th gear 4 low) at least trucks will be able to go around. Come to a gradeÂ…oh shitÂ…
5. Trailer better have WORKING brakes or he will lose it. Jeep brakes are marginal at best on Jeeps. Especially in a YJ (this year wrangler is a YJ) They can barley stop the jeep alone.
FroggystyleÂ…Your friend is up for adventure probably anytime. This is a challenge for him I bet he canÂ’t let go.
Keep you cell on. He will be a callin for help I will bet.
Speeking of bets...is wagering allowed on ***boat :idea: :rollside:

BajaMike
07-31-2006, 09:34 PM
I drove a from Alabama to California one time in a big, four door Cadillac going 80 to 100 mph all across Texas on I-10......it was the longest trip of my life. That boring state goes on and on and on.......
I can't imagine it in a Jeep going 35 to 45 mph.....what a f-ing nightmare...... :220v:
:rollside:

Tom Brown
07-31-2006, 10:05 PM
By the way, you dont have to talk shit for me thinking I am posting something I thought to be true if you find untrue.
Go easy on him, M34. His small penis and urine soaked disposition make it hard for him to make friends and survive social situations.
And Tom Brown is an ass
It's OK, Mike. I know it's hard for you to share your feelings. I know you love me like a brother. :)

Tom Brown
07-31-2006, 10:25 PM
That Jeep will easily pull the boat.
An 18hp tractor can pull a 24' rod weeder across a field with the shovels buried.
He may not be cruising at 90 mph with one elbow resting on the door sill and rolling a cigarette with the other hand, all the while singing along with Joplin's Me and Bobby McGee while his sunglasses rest above his forehead as head sways back and forth to the music. ... but if he's got himself a manual transmission, he'll easily be able to cruise along at 50 or 55 mph in 4th gear without having to shift for most grades and without laboring the engine. He'll be able to get up any grade but he might have to pull onto the shoulder and shift down a gear or two.
Stopping will be the problem. Those trailer brakes had better work.
Also, old trailers notoriously have a lot of tow-out. I hope he takes a spare tire or two. If he's wise, he'll stop to feel the hubs periodically too.
Of course, he might well end up busted flat in Baton Rouge, waiting for a train, feeling nearly as faded as his jeans.

Tom Brown
07-31-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll tell you what, Mike.
Let's go out, get drunk, and bust up a few hippies. You'll feel like a new man. Whaddaya say? :)

axkiker
08-01-2006, 04:14 AM
I cant see how in the world that his jeep with a 4 banger can be rated to tow 4400lbs. I used to pull an 18 ft bayliner with a ford ranger 4.0ltr 5 speed and it barely pulled it. The jeep is just too underpowered and the wheelbase is too short. Heck the bayliner beat the heck out of the rager i had i cant imagine a smaller jeep. My f150 with a v6 is not rated to pull much more than that.
That is a good bed time story and has about as much actual fact in it as the Alice in Wonderland book......There are many versions of this BS story all over the net.
As for insurance the info you posted on your previous post is incorrect as well
You want to tell us more stories?
My bet is on the jeep making it....Amazingly it is rated to tow 4400lbs in Europe

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 04:51 AM
When is this adventure to begin?

Riomouse911
08-01-2006, 04:55 AM
My 91' Toyota with a 22RE couldn't pull my 91" Ski Nautique up the Cajon in anything over 3rd gear...and even then it was groaning. I am placin' serious doubt on the success of this mission. While I can imagine a master tower could nurse that pig across the country as loaded and equipped, I think they are doomed.
And isn't 4400 lbs European about 2250 American? :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-01-2006, 05:29 AM
I hope he's not planning on boating in the same area I am.
What am I saying? He's not even going to make it out here with the boat. No worries :D
I'll watch this thread with interest. Let us know when he takes off.

Sherpa
08-01-2006, 06:09 AM
A close freind who had a 93 wrangler, 6cyl 4.0, and 5sp man trans would tow
his 19 foot Ski Centurian falcon...... trailer brakes worked great. the motor
had enough "grunt" to get it going, the jeep only had 31" tires on it. it also
had marks in the rear fender flares when the tires bottomed into the flares.
trying this with a 5-6000 pound sea ray, for that many miles is pretty short
sided........ he'll spend WAAAAAAAY more to get his broken-down junk fixed
or back home even without the boat...... this is a severe case of "tail wagging the dog".
He'll end up frying the axle bearings in the rear dana 35c.......
G U A R A N D A M N T E E D - !
--Sherpa

CHEETAH24
08-01-2006, 06:48 AM
Well, after almost a year has passed since my buddy lost control of his FS3000 toy hauler being pulled by his F-250 coming down Sierra pass. He had sway bars and bags. The trailer swayed somehow and took over the control of his tow rig. He ended up smashing into another vehicle and the passenger in the other was killed and the driver injured.
The highway patrol cited him for hauling the trailer with a tow vehicle that was not rated for the weights of the trailer even though he was not too loaded up. The injured sued him big time, the insurance company disowned him due to the fact that he was improperly rigged and was "using his vehicle for purposes not intended by the manufacturer" even though they insured both vehicles.
He is awaiting trial for manslaughter, lost a civil suit for 1.2 million dollars, of which he was able to get 300,000 dollars from his insurances company sold his home, toys and vacation property to pay for it.
His wife divorced him and he is probably going to do some time.
Bottom line is the man is broke, lost his wife, affected PERMANENTLY the life of another man, and killed a woman all because he didn't want to spend another few grand for the right sized tow vehicle.
Moral of this lesson: BE WARNED! You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs, PRAY you never get in an accident!
If you have any questions about this, I know the whole story and would be happy to share if any of you want to know more.
F250 OR 2500 is rated to pull a fs 3000

centerhill condor
08-01-2006, 07:00 AM
dueling banjos, anyone?

phebus
08-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Just have him watch the movie Deliverance, and educate him on what might happe if he breaks down in that part of the country. :skull:

N2Lake
08-01-2006, 07:06 AM
but if he's got himself a manual transmission, he'll easily be able to cruise along at 50 or 55 mph in 4th gear without having to shift for most grades and without laboring the engine
Good call Tom, my bet would be for Abilene, Texas, it is closest to Ranger Hill. Side bet; motor will overheat, if the bearings on the trailer last that long.
I had the exact same model Jeep, it would launch and retrieve my 22 foot Cole on a shallow ramp. It was more suited to a single Jet Ski though.

superdave013
08-01-2006, 07:37 AM
I say the dude will make it ......... maybe. lol
Anyway I used to tow with this. '87 Ranger with the 2.9L V6. I did put a Ford 9" rearend with 4.56 gears and a detroit locker under it. I bet it's safe to say my flatbottom was WAY lighter then a Sea Ray. Going up the grapevine I was flat out in second gear (with the heater on full blast blowing out the wing windows). You could almost get out and run as fast. Going to Parker it would pull the grades on the 10 ok. And that ment only downshifting to third. With the low gears it would spin some RPM for sure. I would drive from Manhattan Beach to Parker and spin in the 4,000 RPM range for over 4 hours. I ended up with over 360K miles on that truck before I sold it.
Stoping was always fun, I could not imagin that in a Jeep.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48jpn_river_ready.jpg

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 08:04 AM
This makes me remember my old SFV street racing days. A buddy of mine would tow his '68-72 Nova on a double axel trailer behind an old Toyota 2WD truck with the little 4 cyl engine in it. He put NOS on the truck so could make it up the grade back from Ventura into the SFV.
Dont think the engine lived long after a few of them tows but he did it.
I think his Nova was in the 3,000 pound range plus trailer.

Dave C
08-01-2006, 08:46 AM
it sound like you have enough side bets options to begin taking parlays bets.... :crossx:
this is classic. Keep us updated.
The newest two side bet options have recently cropped up as well... the first is how long until he needs the trailer bearings and tires replaced. It will almost certainly need both after over 15 years of neglect.
The second is how many miles until he gets pulled over by the highway patrol and issued a truly monumental ticket. Neither play into the Jeep Death Pool as we are truly only interested in what exact town it will inevitably shit the bed.
You guys want to hear what the current bets and responses are from the immediate family and friends?

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Here are the pool contestants as of last night... There are a couple more stragglers, but you get the gist of it...
Clay Lordsburg, NM
Feels that ego alone will carry the Jeep/trailer combination out of Eufaula, no matter what the state of either. Also feels there should be a side bet for tires and wheel bearings on the trailer, one set of each will likely be consumed by the trailer during the epic transit. Bet is for Lordsburg, NM however mostly for the irony of the name, but also the brutal reality that the failure will occur just inside of Brian’s “call Clay to come get me” zone and not a mile closer.
Katie Willcox, AZ
Katie is also convinced that it will somehow affect Clay, but ironically enough it will be her that has to go retrieve them, hence the closer breakdown point. This would be just inside of Brian’s “Call Katie for help” zone.
Adam Shreveport, LA
However he has a gut feeling that there will be a jack broken out in Jackson.
Mikey Jackson, MI
Thinks he will clear Alabama but doesnÂ’t count on anything further.
David Montgomery, AL
Feels that a good 100 miles or so will do the trick
Courtney Deming, NM
Clutch Failure almost certain by this point. This is really the first actual climbing of the trip.
David Tucson, AZ
Combination of heat and altitude
Paul El Paso, TX
Again, combination of the first real hills and heat, but thinks the early signs felt in Deming will not be heeded.
Audrey Eufaula, AL
Thinks he will back out immediately without attempting the trip.
Wes Las Cruces, NM
Another along the line of the early southwest, Wes thinks the nearly 4,000 foot climb to Las Cruces should cork this one off nicely. Betting on gross engine failure, rings or valves. Very pleased he is well out of Brian’s “Call Wes for help” radius.
George Alpine, TX
Though not on the list, George feels strongly that Brian will take an even further South route and go through Houston. We will allow it due to the “straight line distance” clause in the rules.
Bob Van Horn, TX
Again, not on the list but local knowledge suggests that not only will he break down in Van Horn, but that he will end up at ChuyÂ’s while he is there.
Bonnie Eloy, AZ
Wanted Tucson but David already chose it.
Craig Eufaula, AL
Craig and Audrey are betting he doesnÂ’t make it to the next burg. For different reasons though. Audrey thinks he will have the sense to hang up his spurs before leaving the yard, Craig speculates that the not only ill-advised but painfully obviously under-powered, under-braked and over-weight tow vehicle/towed vehicle combination will make the true absurdity of traveling 2700 miles in this condition clear and apparent within ten miles or so.
Todd Abilene, TX
Direct quote from Todd via text message… “I hate Texas. It’s f*#king hot. It’s in the middle of nowhere. If God hated you and wanted to teach you a lesson for embarking on a stupid journey, he’d do it there.”
Michael Biloxi, MI
Been there once, never going back again. Hoping to recoup some money lost during a fruitless business trip to Mississippi and sees this as an amazing opportunity. "The Jeep will quit in Biloxi, Mississippi"

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Who is going to keep us updated? Did he already leave for the adventure?

thumbs
08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
The jeep might be able to pull the trailer but stopping it is another story.
As funny as this post may seem the guys is a danger to himself and every other driver on the road. This trip should not be made.

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 09:22 AM
I can't wait for this thing to begin. :cool:

Speedin' Ian
08-01-2006, 09:22 AM
When I was 19 a bunch of my friends and I had a trip planned to havasu, it was our first spring trip and we had everything we needed for a good time, except a boat! Well a week before the trip one of my uncles calls me up and tells me I can have his 79 sleeckcraft Ambassador, it was a 23' closed bow complete with wood grain, shag carpet and mouse droppings! The main problem was it hadn't been run in years, so we towed it home and made sure all necessities worked, which basically meant we made sure it ran and had a kick ass stereo, all the othere things like outdrive, impellor, trailer brakes, etc... were over looked. So I towed the tub to havasu with my six cylinder single cab F-150, which was slow going for sure, but we made it. Once there we realized that the front axle on the trailer was bent so bad that the tires were completely bald. We decided to put the boat in the water anyway, thats when we realized that the cable that shifts the outdrive was bad so we could not shift it in and out of gear... no big deal I had owned a v-drive so we just left it in forward and spent the whole weekend driving it like a v-drive... no neutral, no reverse, just start and go. We spent five days in Havasu like this, and damnit if it wasn't the best trip ever!!! We had girls on the boat every day and spent all five days hitting all the hot spots!! At the end of the trip we switched the tires on trailers and towed it home.
My point is... god likes the underdog and I think he will make it

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Who is going to keep us updated? Did he already leave for the adventure?
He reached Eufaula today. He is hanging out with his wife and kids for the next couple of days at the lake house where the boat currently occupies the side yard and is headed West in two days or so.
I will keep everyone appraised. To be 100% honest with everyone, we are trying everything we can to keep the trip from happenning. He doesn't know about the bet or the pool, and we are going to keep it that way but I haven't taken any money from anyone and if we talk him out of it... all bets are off. The reality is that while it may actually make the trip mechanically, this is a very unwise adventure.
That being said, our primary concern is for his kid, who we are making every possible effort to make sure goes back with his wife before it starts.
BTW, his brother lives in Dallas. His father just put in his bet... "the Jeep and trailer stays in Dallas, where he will leave it with his brother for greater than a year and fly home."

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the update. Should get interesting once he starts on the road again.
He reached Eufaula today. He is hanging out with his wife and kids for the next couple of days at the lake house where the boat currently occupies the side yard and is headed West in two days or so.
I will keep everyone appraised. To be 100% honest with everyone, we are trying everything we can to keep the trip from happenning. He doesn't know about the bet or the pool, and we are going to keep it that way but I haven't taken any money from anyone and if we talk him out of it... all bets are off. The reality is that while it may actually make the trip mechanically, this is a very unwise adventure.
That being said, our primary concern is for his kid, who we are making every possible effort to make sure goes back with his wife before it starts.
BTW, his brother lives in Dallas. His father just put in his bet... "the Jeep and trailer stays in Dallas, where he will leave it with his brother for greater than a year and fly home."

Sportin' Wood
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Ok this looks like too much fun, I'm gonna have to link it to my Offroad sites.

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 09:55 AM
More updates from the family and friends.... We are going to extend getting into the pool until later this afternoon for the stragglers since Brian isn't due to depart for a little while.
Clay Lordsburg, NM
Feels that ego alone will carry the Jeep/trailer combination out of Eufaula, no matter what the state of either. Also feels there should be a side bet for tires and wheel bearings on the trailer, one set of each will likely be consumed by the trailer during the epic transit. Bet is for Lordsburg, NM however mostly for the irony of the name, but also the brutal reality that the failure will occur just inside of Brian’s “call Clay to come get me” zone and not a mile closer.
Katie Willcox, AZ
Katie is also convinced that it will somehow affect Clay, but ironically enough it will be her that has to go retrieve them, hence the closer breakdown point. This would be just inside of Brian’s “Call Katie for help” zone.
Adam Shreveport, LA
However he has a gut feeling that there will be a jack broken out in Jackson.
Mikey Jackson, MI
Thinks he will clear Alabama but doesnÂ’t count on anything further.
David Montgomery, AL
Feels that a good 100 miles or so will do the trick
Courtney Deming, NM
Clutch Failure almost certain by this point. This is really the first actual climbing of the trip.
David Tucson, AZ
Combination of heat and altitude
Paul El Paso, TX
Again, combination of the first real hills and heat, but thinks the early signs felt in Deming will not be heeded.
Audrey Eufaula, AL
Thinks he will back out immediately without attempting the trip.
Wes Las Cruces, NM
Another along the line of the early southwest, Wes thinks the nearly 4,000 foot climb to Las Cruces should cork this one off nicely. Betting on gross engine failure, rings or valves. Very pleased he is well out of Brian’s “Call Wes for help” radius.
George Alpine, TX
Though not on the list, George feels strongly that Brian will take an even further South route and go through Houston. We will allow it due to the “straight line distance” clause in the rules.
Bob Van Horn, TX
Again, not on the list but local knowledge suggests that not only will he break down in Van Horn, but that he will end up at ChuyÂ’s while he is there.
Bonnie Eloy, AZ
Wanted Tucson but David already chose it.
Craig Eufaula, AL
Craig and Audrey are betting he doesnÂ’t make it to the next burg. For different reasons though. Audrey thinks he will have the sense to hang up his spurs before leaving the yard, Craig speculates that the not only ill-advised but painfully obviously under-powered, under-braked and over-weight tow vehicle/towed vehicle combination will make the true absurdity of traveling 2700 miles in this condition clear and apparent within ten miles or so.
Todd Abilene, TX
Direct quote from Todd via text message… “I hate Texas. It’s f*#king hot. It’s in the middle of nowhere. If God hated you and wanted to teach you a lesson for embarking on a stupid journey, he’d do it there.”
Michael Biloxi, MI
Been there once, never going back again. Hoping to recoup some money lost during a fruitless business trip to Mississippi and sees this as an amazing opportunity. "The Jeep will quit in Biloxi, Mississippi"
Dick Dallas, TX
"My Vote is for Dallas. He'll leave the rig at his brother Wes' for a year and fly home."
Gill Pecos, TX
"Pecos is where things go to die. It just sounds miserable. It doesn't sound like it has any good food, no good services, no good beer and is hotter than hell. The Jeep doesn't make it past Pecos. It is going to overheat and die there. Huge possibility that in exchange for a ride to the next town, Brian will barter using the promise of a free boat."

XTRM22
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I think he's gonna make it......always love seeing someone do the impossible because they didn't know it was impossible! I pulled my 19' Galaxie up and down a lot of nasty hills in my 91 Jeep Comanche, a few times with the heater on to pull the heat away from the motor. Plus if he makes it he can say " It's a jeep thing....you probably wouldn't understand.
Chuck

RiverDave
08-01-2006, 10:35 AM
If he's out at the location of the boat for a couple days, and is unaware of the betting pool.. I'd be willing to wager, that while he was unwise enough to embark on the trip with the wrong tow vehicle, he is wise enough to atleast take advantage of his time spent out there to put the 15 year old neglected trailer in working order. By that I mean he will at a minimum get the lights working, and he will probably put tires on it, and have the wheel bearings greased. I give him 50/50 on actually trying to get the brakes working, of which I'll give it 90% that they don't. Trailers are pretty bullet proof though, so the odds are if he just drains the brake fluid out of the trailer, and fills with new & bleeds I'll give it 70% that they come back to life..
With no changes to the trailer (as it sits) I will bet under 15 miles until tire failure or under 25 miles till a wheel bearing starts smoking.
Incidentally, pulling the Nordic home to put it up for sale.. After 8 years of sitting in a garage in parker, and only going 1 mile to a launch ramp and back. It made it to about a mile outside of Vidal junction before blowing the front right tire. After replacing that tire the front left barely made it back to Parker to have the rest of them changed, and all the wheel bearings got a little Hot to say the least..
RD

YeLLowBoaT
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
If he's out at the location of the boat for a couple days, and is unaware of the betting pool.. I'd be willing to wager, that while he was unwise enough to embark on the trip with the wrong tow vehicle, he is wise enough to atleast take advantage of his time spent out there to put the 15 year old neglected trailer in working order. By that I mean he will at a minimum get the lights working, and he will probably put tires on it, and have the wheel bearings greased. I give him 50/50 on actually trying to get the brakes working, of which I'll give it 90% that they don't. Trailers are pretty bullet proof though, so the odds are if he just drains the brake fluid out of the trailer, and fills with new & bleeds I'll give it 70% that they come back to life..
With no changes to the trailer (as it sits) I will bet under 15 miles until tire failure or under 25 miles till a wheel bearing starts smoking.
Incidentally, pulling the Nordic home to put it up for sale.. After 8 years of sitting in a garage in parker, and only going 1 mile to a launch ramp and back. It made it to about a mile outside of Vidal junction before blowing the front right tire. After replacing that tire the front left barely made it back to Parker to have the rest of them changed, and all the wheel bearings got a little Hot to say the least..
RD
lol when I picked up my boat it had been siting out side for 17 years. I had to replace the baring as they were off on one side(some one did not know how to take a wheel stud lock off....Thats why god created vise grips...) I actaully made it home on those tires( which were flater then flat.). About 10 miles or so. I was also shocked to see that all, but 1 of the lighters worked. He might just get lucky and have a trailer that is in good working order... I doubt it, but it could happen.
If he does not atleast make get the lights working and repack all the barings....

Her454
08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Wes, this is absolutely hilarious and probably the craziest thing I've ever seen you come up with on ***boat.................
:) :rollside:

skeepwerkzaz
08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Ok,
So nobody here knows the accused, I will fill in a few holes.....
RD, you are so right about the necessary checks for a derelict trailer, however I will guarantee you that he will be lucky to check the tire pressure. He is an airline pilot, so if someone else doesn't do it for him, it probably won't get done.
He is absolutely mindset on doing this, so the ego (remember airline pilot) has alot to do with the decisionmaking process.
He sees it as a great adventure....read above.
I think that in this case, ignorance is bliss. If I even thought about doing something like this, I wouldn't have even made it down the street before breaking down, someone who doesn't know any better, it seems, has much better odds of making it. I think because their conscience is completely devoid of any real knowledge of the subject.
BTW he is doing this because "the owners manual said it could."
He feels that the towing is limited only by the rating of the hitch.....

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 11:00 AM
... probably the craziest thing I've ever seen you come up with on ***boat.................
The guy has been slacking for a long time but at least he's pulling his weight now. :cool:

RiverDave
08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Ok,
So nobody here knows the accused, I will fill in a few holes.....
RD, you are so right about the necessary checks for a derelict trailer, however I will guarantee you that he will be lucky to check the tire pressure. He is an airline pilot, so if someone else doesn't do it for him, it probably won't get done.
He is absolutely mindset on doing this, so the ego (remember airline pilot) has alot to do with the decisionmaking process.
He sees it as a great adventure....read above.
I think that in this case, ignorance is bliss. If I even thought about doing something like this, I wouldn't have even made it down the street before breaking down, someone who doesn't know any better, it seems, has much better odds of making it. I think because their conscience is completely devoid of any real knowledge of the subject.
BTW he is doing this because "the owners manual said it could."
He feels that the towing is limited only by the rating of the hitch.....
And this guy is an Airline Pilot?
Anyone else all of a sudden dreading the next time they have to fly?
RD

skeepwerkzaz
08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Airline pilot = really good pilot, great at what he does...but he doesn't "actually" do the work. He just flys.

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
RD
To the contrary, he is an amazing pilot and I would fly with him anywhere. I would however not trust his ability to decide what the tow capacity of the plane was.
You see, everything is spelled out for you by the FAA as a pilot. He knows in black and white how many people he can fly, how much fuel he can carry, what the minimum takeoff distances are, what his minimum visibility is etc... An entire governmental infrastructure has his back.
But, alas he has gone broken arrow on us. We have no choice as to what his path is at this point, and we can only make fun...

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
I give him 50/50 on actually trying to get the brakes working, of which I'll give it 90% that they don't.
Someone needs to stress the importance of the pre-tow GUMP check and warn him of the 50 mph Vne.
We have no choice as to what his path is at this point, and we can only make fun...
Ditches love an underdog. :cool:

skeepwerkzaz
08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
I think his will be a Forrest GUMP check.

Cheap Thrills
08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
RD
Dave ,
You know I'm usually not one to jump on the bashing band wagon , but this was my first thought also.
I believe that if he was an arline pilot / college grad. he could afford to hire a transport. not to mention enough common sense to not jepordise the safety of others. If the DVM of any of the states catch wind of this and pulls him over , well I'm sure they'll redflag the vehicle and load his pockets with several colorful pieces of that expensive paper. I dont think he'll have enough ground pressure on the steering axle to steer the Jeep once all the weight of that POS hits the hitch. :rolleyes:
C.T. :wink:

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
You see, everything is spelled out for you by the FAA as a pilot. He knows in black and white how many people he can fly, how much fuel he can carry, what the minimum takeoff distances are, what his minimum visibility is etc... An entire governmental infrastructure has his back.
I will admit that I'm pretty confident I totally understand his outlook. It always surprises me when people disregard service manuals and go with their 'gut' on how to repair things. If the manual was written and edited by a team of engineers who are working in symphony with the engineers who designed the system, it's a safe bet that manual is the best information available on the system.
If he's a slow and cautious driver, he will probably be just fine. If he's a guy who wants to nail the speed limit, even down steep hills that feature undulating curves, he may have a little harder time. :D

Dan Lorenze
08-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I predict that if his water pump stays in tact he'll go the distance.. Those little motors are hard to kill.. :)

Her454
08-01-2006, 01:27 PM
RD
OMG, ROTLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I am spending way too much time and energy on this... but we are officially on line at www.jeepdeathpool.com It is a blog so we can all add our own comments for this deal.
Enjoy! We should be getting some real-time updates here shortly.

HavasuSelect
08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
The website looks great! I still think you should hide some sort of tracking device on the vehicle. Then you could put the link up on the site and everyone can go and see exactly where he is and if he's moving or not.

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
The website looks great! I still think you should hide some sort of tracking device on the vehicle. Then you could put the link up on the site and everyone can go and see exactly where he is and if he's moving or not.
We were going to try to do some graphic like Clark Griswold was using to plan the first "Vacation" with the family truckster but the logistics of getting some kind of transmitter that will upload automatically would be a nightmare considering we don't have an "inside man" for the operation...
We are almost certainly going to have a map of the route up here shortly and be updating it as the messages come in from Brian. He is a text-message Ninja, so we will basically have a play-by-play of the event even though he has zero idea that the world is watching and both pulling for him and against him!

YeLLowBoaT
08-01-2006, 03:13 PM
I think I came up with a new side bet.... how many views will the web site get b4 he breaks down..... :)

Lightning
08-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Wes, don't you have boats to build and sell... Seriously though, cool site....i'm curious to see how this turns out.

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
...he has zero idea that the world is watching and both pulling for him and against him!
I'm pulling for him. :cool:
If he makes it, it will be a blow to the people who recommend diesel 1 ton duallies for towing PWCs.
Did I mention I sometimes tow with a Nissan maxima? :D

HavasuSelect
08-01-2006, 03:25 PM
We were going to try to do some graphic like Clark Griswold was using to plan the first "Vacation" with the family truckster but the logistics of getting some kind of transmitter that will upload automatically would be a nightmare considering we don't have an "inside man" for the operation...
We are almost certainly going to have a map of the route up here shortly and be updating it as the messages come in from Brian. He is a text-message Ninja, so we will basically have a play-by-play of the event even though he has zero idea that the world is watching and both pulling for him and against him!
LOL, well I'm fairly certain that you will keep us all informed as best you can. This is such a funny idea. It almost belongs on a radio or TV show.

Sportin' Wood
08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496025
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50030
Some more fodder for the fire. This is gonna be excellent.
I wish you had some sort of tracker. You have to do a daily update at the least. I can see fans cheering him on at every small town.
It will be an adventure to say the least. Trailer will fail first. He'll get that fixed and the brakes on the jeep will be next. Years ago I smoked a front set of brakes on an old van we had in Riverside and still made it to Laughlin with no front brakes so he might be fine there. I'm guessing it ends up in a few ditches along the way. Jeeps jack knife real easy with a heavy load. I've pulled some heavy crap around the ranch with jeeps and the trailer passes you on the down hills, you need lots of beer to continue after that. Any pictures of the Jeep Wes?

squirt'nmyload
08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
i drove my 90 wrangler 4 banger(over 100k), with 10in lift and 32x11.50s on it while pulling a trailer with the 38in tires and rims, that were usually on the jeep, and a spare hard top and doors, all they way from pennsylvania to arizona. it was the slowest road trip ever. and yes...texas is the worst. i don't think i ever saw 5th gear the whole trip..we'lll be watchin for him in phx...we got his back here!!!

73kona455
08-01-2006, 04:15 PM
how about people along his route posting phone numbers so if he does have a problem a fellow boater might be able to help him out? maybe someone could compile the numbers in a list he could carry?

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 04:35 PM
how about people along his route posting phone numbers so if he does have a problem a fellow boater might be able to help him out? maybe someone could compile the numbers in a list he could carry?
That would be cool, but he doesn't know about all of this. I am halfway thinking it would be hillarious if, once underway we let him in on it so he can post it up himself, but I think it would spoil the whole thing...

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Reality Internet is the shit. :cool:

Cheap Thrills
08-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Reality Internet is the shit. :cool:
No doubt Tom , Now all we need is that stupid ass Joe Rogan hanging off the back of the Jeep shouting at the top of his voice ,
COME ON BRIAN , HANG IN THERE ONLY 500 MORE MILE TO GO !
C.T. :wink:

rerfert
08-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Is this the boat?
http://www.jeepdeathpool.com/1.jpg
Thought it was a tandem trailer?
A single has more tounge weight and handles worse IMO.
Time to trade that Jeep in on a New Chevy....0% Interest again I here?

PICKLEtheLOAD
08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
You killled it with this! This dude HAS to do a PREFLIGHT and CANCEL! No way he embarks...no WAY! But if he does, I gotta go with his catlike pilot skills to carry him. ;) God speed little fella...

TRUMP TIGHT
08-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I say let everyone in on the pool!
That way if he makes it he will have a good chunk of change to fix up the boat or put down on a new truck!

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Is this the boat?
http://www.jeepdeathpool.com/1.jpg
Thought it was a tandem trailer?
A single has more tounge weight and handles worse IMO.
Time to trade that Jeep in on a New Chevy....0% Interest again I here?
Tragically, yes. That was a new update from the camera-phone of the victim. We are trying to ascertain exactly what kind of boat it is, but for absolute sure it isn't a Sea Ray, so he isn't even getting a name-brand production boat out of the deal.
Additionally, like you said, the single axle trailer is a true liability in this case. We may have to start a trailer death pool too. Not only does it increase the already staggering discrepancy between the hitch to front axle, hitch to front tire on the Jeep ratio, but it will add more tongue weight and put even more strain on the bearings.
This is my first view of the boat as well BTW... I have another spy photo coming in from an operative that is deep undercover. We will call them "Deep Throat" to protect the innocent...

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Updated pics. We know it isn't a Sea Ray, but what is it. I agree that the single axle trailer is a huge liability. Could greatly increase the parlay on the wheel bearing/tire pool though...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/photo_08.jpg

73kona455
08-01-2006, 06:01 PM
ok.. how about making a list anyways.. and if/when he calls with trouble.. u tell him who to call?
\That would be cool, but he doesn't know about all of this. I am halfway thinking it would be hillarious if, once underway we let him in on it so he can post it up himself, but I think it would spoil the whole thing...

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Would encourage him to try to make it.
That would be cool, but he doesn't know about all of this. I am halfway thinking it would be hillarious if, once underway we let him in on it so he can post it up himself, but I think it would spoil the whole thing...

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 06:09 PM
ok.. how about making a list anyways.. and if/when he calls with trouble.. u tell him who to call?
\
Well, each time he breaks down, I will post the location. Anyone nearby that can help I'm sure will.
Unless of course they have that town on the pool... then they will throw sugar in his tank... ;)

ratso
08-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Well, each time he breaks down, I will post the location. Anyone nearby that can help I'm sure will.
Unless of course they have that town on the pool... then they will throw sugar in his tank... ;)
lol... :crossx:
Did I see Waco on there? :D
That might not be good, we'd just come at him with helicopters and army tanks and firearms... :eek: :2purples:

JB in so cal
08-01-2006, 06:16 PM
That may be a "Classic" Bayliner. :cool: Prolly......'78 to '81ish.
I'm just guessing, here btw.

HavasuSelect
08-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Oh man, this is def a hall of fame post! I'm getting excited to see the outcome. When does he leave? (Sorry if you posted the departure date in another post).

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Oh man, this is def a hall of fame post! I'm getting excited to see the outcome. When does he leave? (Sorry if you posted the departure date in another post).
He is going to be bouncing out of there in a couple of days... The spots are going quickly now! We just filled up Union Springs, Quartzite and San Simon in the last couple of minutes, so we are up to $420 now.
I don't think that thing is a 21 either... 19 or 20 maybe...

YeLLowBoaT
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
At this rate if he makes it, he will be able to buy a trident... :)

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I say let everyone in on the pool!
That way if he makes it he will have a good chunk of change to fix up the boat or put down on a new truck!
Jump on in! Just PM me your guess and confirmation.
From the top, we have these cities left, but you can choose any city on or off the route. Basically, we think he is going to take the 82W to the 80W until it turns into the 20. The 20 takes him through Dallas and to the West where it turns into the 10, which he will take to the 101. The 101 takes him home.
Now, even if he takes an alternate route, the bets stand! We are going with a straight-line distance to the breakdown point from the nearest bet, so you can choose anywhere you want. A couple people have chosen off of the projected path because they think he will take the southernmost route through Houston. Not likely.
Anyway, choose a city on the trip, try not to choose anything anyone else has and jump in the pool!
You can see the current guesses at www.jeepdeathpool.com/guesses.html

Acommanderguy
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I believe its the classic bayliner as well. I also believe that its a 19ft and might have either the omc or the old penta in it? My guess its an 84-85 maybe? that looks like the old school "escort" trailer. My parents had one back in the late 80's

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 06:35 PM
At this rate if he makes it, he will be able to buy a trident... :)
One can only hope!
I will take a trade in...

johnp
08-01-2006, 07:54 PM
My bet is, he will make it, but not very fast. Assuming he has brakes on trailer and trailer bearings and tires are replaced.
Errors in argument.
1. Trailer weight of 1000 is not carrying cap.
2. Gross truck weight does not include trailer weight, onlt tongue weight.
3. 125,000 is just getting broken in.
4. What does losing water pump have with pulling over or close to towlimit?
4. As for accident report. Insurance comany dumped him??? Then says he lost everything after insurance company paid off 300,000. Sounds like he was underinsured.
5. He could get a ticket for not keepng up with traffic.

rerfert
08-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Looks somewhat like a Wellcraft about 16/17 foot and a galvanized trailer about 18/20 foot...window line would put it around say 1986/88?
(still a heavy boat)
What the Heck put me down for $20 in gas if he makes it back in one piece (Jeep and boat together)
PM me where to sent the money IF he makes it back.
(I say if because it looks a little more doable now that I see the picture of his boat)
Definitely more trouble than We went thru on our Free boat.
Here are a few pictures of our free boat :rolleyes:
This is why it was FREE.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_004f_006.sized.jpg
After 52 hours labor.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_007f.sized.jpg

rerfert
08-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Hope he puts the drive up :cry:

superdave013
08-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Updated pics. We know it isn't a Sea Ray, but what is it. I agree that the single axle trailer is a huge liability. Could greatly increase the parlay on the wheel bearing/tire pool though...
'80s Crestliner maybe? What ever it is it's no worse then a SeaGay.
BTW, I don't think the trailer brakes will fail. There has to be some brakes on the trailer before they can fail right?

Froggystyle
08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
My bet is, he will make it, but not very fast. Assuming he has brakes on trailer and trailer bearings and tires are replaced.
No trailer brakes at all, greasing the bearings if we are lucky.
Errors in argument.
1. Trailer weight of 1000 is not carrying cap. Max trailer weight on a couple sites is 800 pound capacity with 400# tongue weight max.
2. Gross truck weight does not include trailer weight, onlt tongue weight.
I think that number is the gross combined vehicle weight.
3. 125,000 is just getting broken in. OK, perhaps on a Freightliner...
4. What does losing water pump have with pulling over or close to towlimit?
Consistant higher temperature, elevated temp, greater pressure etc... I always blow water pumps on long hot trips under heavier than normal load, never during day to day stuff...
He may end up with a slow ticket though. :D

Cas
08-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Since I'm in Sonoma, I'll be more than happy to take a picture of the elated returnee. I think he'll make it.

wsuwrhr
08-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Crap I didnt realize this thing was so far along.
I had a hundie earmarked up JUST to pick spots along the way.
I KNEW I should have checked ***boat today
WSUWR-pokingfunandreallyhopesnoonegetshurt-WRHR.

OCMerrill
08-02-2006, 06:17 AM
His odds are looking better. That boat will not weigh more than 3,500 lbs. Issue is when it was produced 3,500 lbs was OK on a boat trailer w/o brakes.
I agree It's an eairly 80's boat. One can tell by the outdrive. Volvo 280 or an OMC Sea Drive. It could actually be powered by a Volvo 4 cyl or a volvo 6 cyl with dual carbs.
Screamin jeep and a screamin boat. :cool:

Sportin' Wood
08-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Odds are looking better, I see a Skilsaw, will he cut in pieces and throw it on the roof? :) What a waste of gas, I'm sure he could wrangle a better boat in Bullhead.

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
His odds are looking better. That boat will not weigh more than 3,500 lbs. Issue is when it was produced 3,500 lbs was OK on a boat trailer w/o brakes.
I agree It's an eairly 80's boat. One can tell by the outdrive. Volvo 280 or an OMC Sea Drive. It could actually be powered by a Volvo 4 cyl or a volvo 6 cyl with dual carbs.
Screamin jeep and a screamin boat. :cool:
He thinks it has a V8 in it. I think the proportions may be decieving. We are also not sure that was the trailer that came with the boat...

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Since I'm in Sonoma, I'll be more than happy to take a picture of the elated returnee. I think he'll make it.
I think we should have a full-on "Smokey and the Bandit" finale for him as he comes through the LA area!
If you think about it, at the heart of it all this is a story about a guy, who against all odds is driving across the country with his son to pick up his first boat. No wonder we are all behind him!
Of course we all think it is going to break down too... but that is just what happens when you go do stupid things for a boat... :D

Cas
08-02-2006, 07:48 AM
It's very much like Smokey and the Bandit and it's something that deep down, a lot of us would love to do. The reason why we don't is we make excuses on why not to do it.
"it's to far"
"it'll take too long"
"it'll cost too much in gas"
but ya know what, I have a certain amount of envy for him especially if his son decides to stick it out. How much more of a bonding can they possibly get? I think it's great!
How about a bunch of people take some "paaprazzi" pics of them as they pass by. You know, from overpasses, gas stations, the choke and pukes they'll be eating at, all kinds of good stuff. Also be a cool photo album for them to keep along with the money they're gonna get ;)

superdave013
08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
He thinks it has a V8 in it. I think the proportions may be decieving. We are also not sure that was the trailer that came with the boat...
I bet that is the OG trailer. Looks like a Trailerite to me. Just like the one under my dad's 18' Century (that's every bit as big as this boat).

superdave013
08-02-2006, 08:53 AM
His hoopty will pull it with out question. The question is will it stop it. That short wheelbase might just get run over when he hits the binders.
And if the trailer fishtales a lil, well we all know that's no good and 100X's worse when it's behind a lil jeep.

Cole Trickle
08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
If the tires and bearing are OK I say he makes it.
That boat and trailer are way lighter than I was expecting and with a little causious driving and careful breaking he should be home free. :)

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 09:23 AM
but ya know what, I have a certain amount of envy for him especially if his son decides to stick it out. How much more of a bonding can they possibly get? I think it's great!
How about a bunch of people take some "paaprazzi" pics of them as they pass by. You know, from overpasses, gas stations, the choke and pukes they'll be eating at, all kinds of good stuff. Also be a cool photo album for them to keep along with the money they're gonna get ;)
Absolutely! I would love to see him make it, and have a huge response when he hits Cali.
I am going to talk to Phat Matt when he comes back into town. I figure by the time he has cleared Quartzite, he will be smelling hay and probably ready for a pick me up. I figure that Matt's connections with the radio station should be able to rally enough support for him hitting the Beaumont/Palm Desert corridor on the 10 to have chicks flashing him and people giving him the thumbs up and such....
How classic would it be if there were folks just randomly sporting "Go Brian" signs! :D

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
If the tires and bearing are OK I say he makes it.
That boat and trailer are way lighter than I was expecting and with a little causious driving and careful breaking he should be home free. :)
Anything over 1K i exceeding the tow capacity of the Jeep... It is 3K if it is an ounce. I am still betting that he is close to 4K on the trailer, 7800 pounds down the road...

FatDog
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
We are sincerely hoping this guy makes it !
( we have a small thread on this going at BoatingABC.com )
:crossx: The Jeep goes down in Phoenix. :crossx:
cause: heat exhaustion - blown engine; but mute point 'cause brakes are by now shot anyway
... and Froggystyle, i got a shop just down the street from yours. Will stop by look at your boats and toss out our 20 on the counter,
good luck to your buddy!!
Mike

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
:crossx: The Jeep goes down in Phoenix. :crossx:
cause: heat exhaustion - blown engine; but mute point 'cause brakes are by now shot anyway
... and Froggystyle, i got a shop just down the street from yours. Will stop by look at your boats and toss out our 20 on the counter,
good luck to your buddy!!
Mike
Phoenix... Gotcha! Come on by! We would love to show you around!
BTW... Welcome to the forums!

RiverDave
08-02-2006, 10:22 AM
You know the description of the boat, and what I was envisioning are pretty different then what that picture shows.. That doesn't look 21' to me. I was thinking it was one of those 21', but really tall kinda stubby looking WellCraft boats that has to weigh in at the 4000 lb mark by itself.
After seeing the picture, I think this deal might be very do-able.. Granted it's not the tow vehicle of choice, but the trailer doesn't look to be in that bad of shape.. (Granted that's just looks, which means nothing) but wheel bearings and tires on a single axle shouldn't take very long or cost very much..
I'd still say the odds are not in his favor to pull it off, but they aren't nearly as bad as I originally thought.
My odds calculator is giving it
80 : 20 that their will be some sort of mechanical failure
60 : 40 that he doesn't make it back (not bad though almost 50/50)
50 : 50 if he changes the wheel bearings and tires on the trailer says he makes it atleast half the distance of the trip home without incident.
RD

superdave013
08-02-2006, 10:46 AM
you gotta love it when other forums are placing bets. :)

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Oh, it is do-able alright... just not bloody likely!
The boat was a suprise to everyone. Including Brian I might add. It isn't light though, because he actually tried to lift it on to the trailer hitch and couldn't by himself.
This is interesting, and I give it similar odds to you Dave...

RiverDave
08-02-2006, 11:43 AM
The boat was a suprise to everyone. Including Brian I might add. It isn't light though, because he actually tried to lift it on to the trailer hitch and couldn't by himself.
If the pool gets big enough, I might have to track this guy down, go out there and pull the boat back 90% of the way with my truck then rehook it up to his jeep around the corner from his house.. LOL :D
RD

RiverDave
08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Single axle trailer though might be responsible for that. If the axles are back just a little too far, or the boat is forward on the trailer even a little bit, that could make it very difficult to pick up by yourself. If he tried to hook it up by himself does that mean he's getting ready to roll? Or just still feeling out the program a bit..
Any info on whether he is going to make the trailer road worthy yet?
This is more exciting then any reality TV show by the way.. LOL :D
I'm half tempted to get the video camera out if it looks like he's going to make it back, just to document the occasion. :D
RD

Mandelon
08-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Looks like an 86 17' VIP. He could make it.

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Mike
I just went over there and didn't see it... what is the name of it and which forum?

FatDog
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Froggystyle,
I am FatDog over there as well, great boating guys (not as many bikini pics as over here though :220v: )
My shops in Kearny Mesa but i get my welding suppies from the place I think is just a block up from you,
see you later,
http://www.boatingabc.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/1102.html
(and see?, ... the Moderator there gave me thumbs up to post a pic of your shop :idea: )

Screaming Pete
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I'd say he will be lucky to get out of the first driveway without ripping the Skag off of the drive. and i bet the drive won't even raise up $20 i'm in :cool:

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd say he will be lucky to get out of the first driveway without ripping the Skag off of the drive. and i bet the drive won't even raise up $20 i'm in :cool:
What city Pete? I got you...

jafish
08-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Just thought I'd stop in and let you know he's got a cheering section over at http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50030 , I think that little heep might make it! :)

AvengerBabe
08-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh man, this is just too funny! :)

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
OK... update on the boat. It is a confirmed 1979 Bayliner 19'. It measures a little over 18'6" stem to stern, with an OMC outdrive. Local knowledge suggests that the boat itself is greater than 3K plus the trailer weight.
The Jeep still doesn't stand a chance...

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh man, this is just too funny! :)
You goin out there this weekend? I've got some jammin tunes... ;)
And jello-shots...

Tom Brown
08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I remember reading an article about some boat drags in Florida and a guy showed up from Montreal towing a 20 foot Allison outboard with a VW Golf TDI. He said it was a little underpowered in the mountains but I guess he got some decent mileage. :D

maxwedge
08-02-2006, 03:34 PM
That has to be at least 4500lbs. If the jeep has a manual tranny, my guess is he cooks the clutch within the first 20 miles...and if he ever manages to hit any speed over 35, the trailer sway is going to be unbelieveable and probably uncontrolable with that short wheelbase too. No chance in hell he makes it trouble free.

KACHINA KEN
08-02-2006, 03:40 PM
I remember reading an article about some boat drags in Florida and a guy showed up from Montreal towing a 20 foot Allison outboard with a VW Golf TDI. He said it was a little underpowered in the mountains but I guess he got some decent mileage. :D
TDI are sick, I just got one. I will tow the mini boats when we get em together.

AvengerBabe
08-02-2006, 03:49 PM
You goin out there this weekend? I've got some jammin tunes... ;)
And jello-shots...
Yep, we're there for sure! I've got jello shots and rum-pineapple as well. It's going to be a great weekend! See you Friday!

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
That has to be at least 4500lbs. If the jeep has a manual tranny, my guess is he cooks the clutch within the first 20 miles...and if he ever manages to hit any speed over 35, the trailer sway is going to be unbelieveable and probably uncontrolable with that short wheelbase too. No chance in hell he makes it trouble free.
So... you in?
Pot is at $520 right now...

FatDog
08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
alright, ... I'm switchin' the direction just a little bit of my thinking from my previous posts, our bet is still on ....
.... (I come from another boating site to this site (BoatingABC.com), but since I see there is a Jeep forum also now involved )...
... IF that knucklehead can make it out here with that Jeep ... I'm startin' the bidding on buying his Jeep ...
... my OPENING bid is $800, AND i take him out to a local strip joint for the entire night, alldrinks on me. I grew up in SanJose.
Now, our prophesee is that he still breaks down in Phoenix ... BUT if he don't, we have a starting bid of EIGHT HUNDRED SMACKERS and a night at a strip joint that says I OWN that Jeep !!!
anyone out there who will outbid the FatDog for a P.O.S. Jeep that just towed a BEAUTIFUL BOAT 'cross the country????
FatDog Mike @ BoatingABC

Froggystyle
08-02-2006, 06:24 PM
alright, ... I'm switchin' the direction just a little bit of my thinking from my previous posts, our bet is still on ....
.... I come from another boating site to this site (BoatingABC.com), but since I see there is a Jeep forum also now involved ...
... IF that knucklehead can make it out here with that Jeep ... I'm startin' the bidding on buying his Jeep ...
... my OPENING bid is $800, AND i take him out to a local strip joint for the entire night, alldrinks on me. I grew up in SanJose.
Now, our prophesee is that he still breaks down in Phoenix ... BUT if he don't, we have a starting bid of EIGHT HUNDRED SMACKERS and a night at a strip joint that says I OWN that Jeep !!!
anyone out there who will outbid the FatDog for a P.O.S. Jeep that just towed a BEAUTIFUL BOAT 'cross the country????
FatDog Mike @ BoatingABC
I think you would get the Jeep out of his cold, dead fingers. He loves that thing...
There is a great picture of him somewhere from the back of a 4WD and Sport Utility magazine of him perched on top of a huge boulder, apparently put there by a crane, but he drove it up there. It was one of those "Name this picture" contests...

johnp
08-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I still think he will make it.
Here's my trailerable. 22,000# behind a 96 Chevy 4x4 dullie with 454 and 4.56 gears. 28,000# gross.
http://www.aerialimaging.net/johnpics18
http://www.aerialimaging.net/johnpics17
Here's it(1990 38' 12' wide Holiday Mansion 15,000#) pulling a skier barefoot with a stock single 300 hp Mercruisers 454 with Bravo 2.
http://aerialimaging.net/johnpics1

Froggystyle
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Well, here is some new news for everyone... Brian hooked it up this morning for a test pull. He is still totally into the trip, still going to go, but get this...
50 mph maximum speed on dead flat ground. Hunting between 3rd and 4th gear. 5th gear is along for the ride at this point.
He asked a question to my brother (Code name: "Deep Throat") this morning...
"What could make it run hot?"
The Jeep doesn't stand a chance. I wish I had picked something way earlier in the trip. :D

Cas
08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Well, here is some new news for everyone... Brian hooked it up this morning for a test pull. He is still totally into the trip, still going to go, but get this...
50 mph maximum speed on dead flat ground. Hunting between 3rd and 4th gear. 5th gear is along for the ride at this point.
The Jeep doesn't stand a chance. I wish I had picked something way earlier in the trip. :D
should've put up a street map so people could've picked which block instead of which city :D

RitcheyRch
08-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Sounds like he might not even make it out of town.

Her454
08-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I am visualizing this poor guy smoking from every orifice and brake line that's still attached to that old jeep, moving along at a turtle's pace (downhill) while news helo's hover above him gobbling up every ounce of pathetic footage of this amazing phenomenon that started via the internet highway. Unbeknownst to him of course, as he wonders what the hell is going on around him and completely unaware of the fact that a "close family friend" has quickly boosted him to such notoriety as a possible appearance on the "Today's Show" to exploit his determination...........or stupidity. :rollside:

Cole Trickle
08-03-2006, 09:12 AM
You need to change it from cities to miles driven if he is only hitting 50mph on the flats and talking about overheating while still in the driveway......
Do 25 mile incraments from start to finics and every box cost $5.00 (You can buy as many boxes as you like)
60% to the winner
25% 2nd place
15% 3rd
What if he breaks and fixes it and continues? Is it over when the Jeep kicks the bucket and has to be towed or down for over 24 hours?

RitcheyRch
08-03-2006, 09:16 AM
hahahah thats good.
I am visualizing this poor guy smoking from every orifice and brake line that's still attached to that old jeep, moving along at a turtle's pace (downhill) while news helo's hover above him gobbling up every ounce of pathetic footage of this amazing phenomenon that started via the internet highway. Unbeknownst to him of course, as he wonders what the hell is going on around him and completely unaware of the fact that a "close family friend" has quickly boosted him to such notoriety as a possible appearance on the "Today's Show" to exploit his determination...........or stupidity. :rollside:

RiverDave
08-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I think my odds calculator just went up n smoke.. If he asked the "hot" question this early in the deal the odds of completeing the trip went from 60:40 against up into the low 90's somewhere..
RD

Froggystyle
08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
I think my odds calculator just went up n smoke.. If he asked the "hot" question this early in the deal the odds of completeing the trip went from 60:40 against up into the low 90's somewhere..
RD
As I have said before, if it was me driving there would be a zero chance under the perfect conditions... I don't have that kind of luck. It seems that fortune favors the grossly ignorant. As was said before by someone... He will make it possible because he doesn't know it is impossible or something...
I am so going to get a phone call during this trip...

topless
08-03-2006, 12:51 PM
As I have said before, if it was me driving there would be a zero chance under the perfect conditions... I don't have that kind of luck. It seems that fortune favors the grossly ignorant. As was said before by someone... He will make it possible because he doesn't know it is impossible or something...
I am so going to get a phone call during this trip...Did he figure out why it was running hot?

Froggystyle
08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Did he figure out why it was running hot?
Yeah. There is a 4,000 pound boat behind a Jeep rated for 1,000 pounds! That kind of figured itself out though when he disconnected the trailer and it cooled right off. It was only running a "little hot" though so the trip is still on like Donkey Kong. :D

topless
08-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah. There is a 4,000 pound boat behind a Jeep rated for 1,000 pounds! That kind of figured itself out though when he disconnected the trailer and it cooled right off. It was only running a "little hot" though so the trip is still on like Donkey Kong. :D
They should make a movie about this.

Cole Trickle
08-04-2006, 10:05 AM
They should make a movie about this.
I think they already have!!!;) :crossx: :p
http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/cartrailor.html

Mandelon
08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Ya need to get the Mythbusters crew over there.....

BigDogIvan
08-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Ya need to get the Mythbusters crew over there.....
No Kidding!!! This would make a great episode!! :D

Her454
08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
C'mon Froggy, whats the update? :rollside:

Froggystyle
08-04-2006, 12:57 PM
C'mon Froggy, whats the update? :rollside:
Nothing from today... nobody has gotten a hold of him. Fact is, the Jeep with the top off is pretty loud and he wasn't counting on being able to hear the phone or talk on it when he was driving.

Her454
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Nothing from today... nobody has gotten a hold of him. Fact is, the Jeep with the top off is pretty loud and he wasn't counting on being able to hear the phone or talk on it when he was driving.
LOL I'd be more worried about him having the ability to see through the smoke coming from under the hood and pull over and stop ............without a Flight Tower guiding him to the side of the road................. :rollside:
.....Her454, still wishin him luck!

Tom Brown
08-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Nothing from today... nobody has gotten a hold of him.
It's safe to assume he's in Phoenix by now so he'll have quite a bit of traffic noise to contend with also.

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Was hoping to get an update.

Her454
08-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Between this guy and his almost impossible to ignore journey, and the search for Later's sunk boat in Hot Spots West, the anticipation is gonna kill me. :rollside:

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Agree, the anticipation is getting the best of me on both threads.
Between this guy and his almost impossible to ignore journey, and the search for Later's sunk boat in Hot Spots West, the anticipation is gonna kill me. :rollside:

maxwedge
08-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I'll still wager that about twenty miles from the start, he pulled over, eyes watering from the fumes coming off the overheating and slipping clutch pressure plate, legs cooking from the heat coming off the engine through the floorboard, and head cooking in the 90+ degree sun outside. Cops then halled him off to jail...southern Cool Hand Luke style, without the proper legal proceedures and what not.. No phone calls for him...just a short speech about not liking asshole people from California... and a then a long trip to the local pound me in the ass, hard labor condo association. Yep, he's just gonna be picking up trash off the roadside for about the next 2 years....or maybe I've just seen too many bad movies from the 60's :)

HavasuSelect
08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I think they already have!!!;) :crossx: :p
http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/cartrailor.html
Oh my god! That video is insane. What do people think (or not think) when they do things like this? The best part is when the guys says "I think he's running a bit rich" LOL.

squirt'nmyload
08-04-2006, 03:36 PM
that was one of the funniest videos i've ever seen.....i watched it like 5 times and laughed harder each time!!!!!!!

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 03:41 PM
You sir have way too much time on your hands but I like it. :)
I'll still wager that about twenty miles from the start, he pulled over, eyes watering from the fumes coming off the overheating and slipping clutch pressure plate, legs cooking from the heat coming off the engine through the floorboard, and head cooking in the 90+ degree sun outside. Cops then halled him off to jail...southern Cool Hand Luke style, without the proper legal proceedures and what not.. No phone calls for him...just a short speech about not liking asshole people from California... and a then a long trip to the local pound me in the ass, hard labor condo association. Yep, he's just gonna be picking up trash off the roadside for about the next 2 years....or maybe I've just seen too many bad movies from the 60's :)

vmjtc3
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I like my odds already >>>>>>>>>>

H20 Toie
08-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Pretty funny thread except when he crashes and kills either himself or someone else.

RitcheyRch
08-05-2006, 07:29 AM
We sure hoping he gives up before something bad happens.
Pretty funny thread except when he crashes and kills either himself or someone else.

BajaMike
08-05-2006, 08:42 AM
I might have missed it....does the trailer have brakes (that work?).

OCMerrill
08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
There are no brakes on the trailer.

BajaMike
08-05-2006, 09:33 AM
There are no brakes on the trailer.
That figures....hope he doesn't have to stop..... :cry:
:skull:

HavasuSelect
08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Stopping is over rated. If worst comes to worst just throw the anchor out of the boat.

RitcheyRch
08-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Any updates.

Froggystyle
08-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I just got back from the river, and have it on good authority that he departed this morning, but I don't have anything else just yet...
I will make some calls right now though and get some gouge...

RitcheyRch
08-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Sounds good and keep us updated.
I just got back from the river, and have it on good authority that he departed this morning, but I don't have anything else just yet...
I will make some calls right now though and get some gouge...

mickeyfinn
08-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I sold a Bayliner 1950 quartermaster on ebay. Turned into a bidding war between a local guy and a guy from Colorado Springs. He wound up driving from ColoradoSprngs in an older jeep.Got it home, no problem. Said used boats are very expensive there.

Ranger305
08-06-2006, 07:14 PM
For what its worth, NADA says that a 1979 1950 QMaster w/ 120hp (looks like an omc) weighs 2000lbs. The trailer is about 800, so he is probably working with 3200-3500 lbs towed load.
That seems about right. I have a "similar" 19' Glastron of teh same era w/ a V8. It was listed with a hull weight of 1400lbs new, 2400lbs with the engine and drive. It nowvsits on a heavy tandem trailer and with all gear and 36gals of gas, she tipped the scales at 4200lbs. I brought it home on a single axle near identical to the one in question. Hated taht trailer, tended to bob/weave/bounce. It had no brakes and I pulled it across Tennessee, east to west -down hill most of the way. This was done with my almost new at the time '99 F-150 supercab. Made it with no bad scares, but really needed brakes coming down the mountain and plateaus. No way I would try it with a Jeep. I hope he makes it ok. It's going to be a nightmare to control if anything goes wrong.

skeepwerkzaz
08-06-2006, 09:21 PM
He is in Shrevesport, LA. A relatively smooth 12.5 hr journey and 550 miles. Averaging a little over 10 MPG and close to 50MPH. He texted me....." Flat good...Hills Bad," I think that when he starts to get into the real heat and any kind of terrain, it will be game-over.

HavasuSelect
08-06-2006, 09:26 PM
So I'm assuming he has the boat in tow?

skeepwerkzaz
08-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Correct, boat in tow....He got a late start because of a short hospital visit on the account of a broken boat...long story. He hurt his leg "water dragging," as the boat couldn't get on plane, and he tweaked himself getting caught up in the tow line.

RitcheyRch
08-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the update. Nice to hear he is on the road.

TRUMP TIGHT
08-07-2006, 09:11 AM
We need the latest!!

topless
08-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Where is he today? This is killing me not knowing.

Froggystyle
08-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Where is he today? This is killing me not knowing.
All of the updates are on www.jeepdeathpool.com as they come in. Short version is, he made Dallas this afternoon with a trailer-related electrical problem. He is snapping fuses, because of a short in the trailer. Since it is not related to the tow-vehicle (I have had the same thing happen with a full-time tow rig) it doesn't count as a Jeep breakdown.
As Clay said, he made Shreveport yesterday after some brutal hours on the road at a 33 mph average. 12.5 hours to drive a little over 500 miles.
Still no top on the Jeep, average of 10 mpg fuel economy and hills suck. I am very, very pleased with my bet of Las Cruces, but it may not make it that far up the hill...
We will keep you posted...

RitcheyRch
08-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Well, he made it further than I would have guessed.
All of the updates are on www.jeepdeathpool.com as they come in. Short version is, he made Dallas this afternoon with a trailer-related electrical problem. He is snapping fuses, because of a short in the trailer. Since it is not related to the tow-vehicle (I have had the same thing happen with a full-time tow rig) it doesn't count as a Jeep breakdown.
As Clay said, he made Shreveport yesterday after some brutal hours on the road at a 33 mph average. 12.5 hours to drive a little over 500 miles.
Still no top on the Jeep, average of 10 mpg fuel economy and hills suck. I am very, very pleased with my bet of Las Cruces, but it may not make it that far up the hill...
We will keep you posted...

maxwedge
08-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Dammitt! I was wrong again. One more time, and I'm going to loose my job at Psychic Friends Network. :D

OCMerrill
08-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Still a long, long way to go. That average speed has got to just kill the fun factor and it will add days of travel time.

RitcheyRch
08-07-2006, 04:00 PM
How long do you guys think this trip will take him going at that SLOW speed?

Froggystyle
08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Quick evening update... he has made it to a place 50 miles or so outside of Odessa, TX called "Big Spring" where he is calling it a night. I guess he is really scared of the hills he knows are coming up, and today on pure flat ground he averaged 45 mph. Never broke 50 though.
This tells me he is starting to get cocky and hammering down a little. His speed is up from yesterday, so who knows I guess. We will find out more info in the morning, but the trip is about to get very, very slow and interesting for him.
So far so good though!

Cas
08-07-2006, 09:01 PM
The Little Jeep that Could :rollside:

Acommanderguy
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
There is no hill or mountian big enough to concour his ego... I think this guy is going to make it!

HavasuSelect
08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
There is no hill or mountian big enough to concour his ego... I think this guy is going to make it!
I really hope he makes it too. The $600+ should be a pleasant surprise if he makes it.

topless
08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
The Little Jeep that Could :rollside:I know Big Springs very well. Wish him good luck from there to Cali. He is in for a very hot ride.

mbrown2
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
My cousins live in Big Springs....pretty much a hotel with a bar in it....had a couple family reunions there...Texas is a big state...it takes a while just to get out of there...
Quick evening update... he has made it to a place 50 miles or so outside of Odessa, TX called "Big Spring" where he is calling it a night. I guess he is really scared of the hills he knows are coming up, and today on pure flat ground he averaged 45 mph. Never broke 50 though.
This tells me he is starting to get cocky and hammering down a little. His speed is up from yesterday, so who knows I guess. We will find out more info in the morning, but the trip is about to get very, very slow and interesting for him.
So far so good though!

topless
08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
My cousins live in Big Springs....pretty much a hotel with a bar in it....had a couple family reunions there...Texas is a big state...it takes a while just to get out of there...I lived there till I was 12. Ask them about the Piggly Wiggly.

wsuwrhr
08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Texas is a big state...it takes a while just to get out of there...
"The sun has risen, the sun has set, I'm still in Texas yet."
Brian

topless
08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
"The sun has risen, the sun has set, I'm still in Texas yet."
Brian
Uhhhh.....What do you know exactly about Big Springs?.....................except that the sun goes down????????????????
Perhaps you can tell me about Cosden Oil....

mbrown2
08-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I lived there till I was 12. Ask them about the Piggly Wiggly.
Did you know a Rodney Brown?

topless
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Did you know a Rodney Brown?
Did you know Carrie Little?

mbrown2
08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Did you know Carrie Little? No, but I never lived there....
My cuz's name is Rodney...thought you might know him....he used to be a Big Time High School Football Player, Bull Rider after College....- But that sounds like a lot of guys in Texas :)

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 05:12 AM
I'm beginning to think the same thing. Would actually hate to see him break down somewhere since he has a child with him. Would be a different story if he was travelling solo.
Heck, I will pitch in $20 if he makes it. Just need to know where to send the money. I figure $20 is cheap for this type of entertainment.

BajaMike
08-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Looks like he's somewhere around here.....
http://image.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPData=4KZqOvhyzy2r.65.39VegyxS8M4av9Xmb L5UBkO6u.EOpkY2vtfhwhCLkNDM5nCuiUFKO9JNUKt3F7oXmeq jluH5Kwg2Zu_AYpxoSdMGHLW78ttM
Lost the "star" marking the spot when I pasted this....Odessa is right around where I-20 and I-10 come together....

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Still has a long way to go and a short time to get there (smokey and the bandit song)

Her454
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
I must be having a blonde moment, I am missing where there is a child with him?

switchin'addiction
08-08-2006, 09:40 AM
I must be having a blonde moment, I am missing where there is a child with him?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2077383&postcount=20

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Can only hope the child not with him altough would make for a longer trip doing it solo. We need to hear the end result as to if the child with him or not.

Her454
08-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks!

ratso
08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
No, but I never lived there....
My cuz's name is Rodney...thought you might know him....he used to be a Big Time High School Football Player, Bull Rider after College....- But that sounds like a lot of guys in Texas :)
He must've owned an oil well or two also... :rollside:

HavasuSelect
08-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Any updates Froggystyle? I just checked the website and didn't see anything new.

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Any updates Froggystyle? I just checked the website and didn't see anything new.
He is in Arizona now, and the first "breakdown" is planned for Phoenix. His right rear oil seal is giving up on the Jeep, which means the axle isn't far behind if he doesn't fix the problem. So, a planned mechanical stop is set up for Phoenix if/when he makes it there. Whoever got Phoenix will get at least $20 for the stop...
I will update on the site right now...

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Wow, he doing better than thought. I figured the hills in New Mexico would have killed the trip.
He is in Arizona now, and the first "breakdown" is planned for Phoenix. His right rear oil seal is giving up on the Jeep, which means the axle isn't far behind if he doesn't fix the problem. So, a planned mechanical stop is set up for Phoenix if/when he makes it there. Whoever got Phoenix will get at least $20 for the stop...

460 jus getn it
08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Been following this, where in az is he. If he comes threw phoenix ill go take some pics.............................................. .........................................

Her454
08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Been following this, where in az is he. If he comes threw phoenix ill go take some pics.............................................. .........................................
OH THAT WOULD BE CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

460 jus getn it
08-09-2006, 07:59 AM
OH THAT WOULD BE CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I will. Wes, get details and ill make it happen.

KACHINA KEN
08-09-2006, 08:18 AM
ya got Mr Skeep on it?

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
ya got Mr Skeep on it?
One of Clay's (skeepwerkzaz) first posts on the subject was that the only certain on this journey would be that somehow he was going to be involved intimately with repairing the damage. Woefully, he admitted fromt he inception that he realized that he was right smack in the middle of Brian's "Call Clay for help" zone. Basically, it was inevitable. We are all frankly suprised he made it past the "Call his brother Wes for help" zone.
The axle bearing and seal will be changed at OPM....

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Pictures would be excellent.

BigDogIvan
08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Here is where OPM is for anyone that wants to keep an eye out in the area.
2129 E. Cedar Street #4, Tempe, AZ 85281
NORTH ^
http://map.web.mapquest.com/?e=9&GetMapDataDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24xl%2dr n9f72%26%3d2n9%2dywd672%26r%400568sd%40z%26g082u6% 24a0670%26u2gu%2c2%3a9672%3b%40b20w%24%3a%26%40%24 xl%2drn9f72%26%3d2n9%2dywd672%26%40%24nq67%261%2c% 240062%3a%26&rnd=2507

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
When he scheduled to be there?

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Here is where OPM is for anyone that wants to keep an eye out in the area.
2129 E. Cedar Street #4, Tempe, AZ 85281
NORTH ^
http://map.web.mapquest.com/?e=9&GetMapDataDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24xl%2dr n9f72%26%3d2n9%2dywd672%26r%400568sd%40z%26g082u6% 24a0670%26u2gu%2c2%3a9672%3b%40b20w%24%3a%26%40%24 xl%2drn9f72%26%3d2n9%2dywd672%26%40%24nq67%261%2c% 240062%3a%26&rnd=2507
I think they just moved... I will get the new address.

460 jus getn it
08-09-2006, 12:51 PM
You tell me he is going to be there after 4.30 today and im all over it. Thats like 3 min from my house.

squirt'nmyload
08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
i'm gonna go over there in a little bit in stealth mode ...i live at dobson and baseline

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
OPM's new address is 1014 E. Vista Del Cerro in Tempe.
Late breaking news though... Brian forewent the oil seal and bearing change and is pressing on. Clay's impression is that he feels bulletproof at this point, and is actually going to be taking the Grapevine!
Clay got some pics and he is sending them to me so I can update the www.jeepdeathpool.com

Magic34
08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Late breaking news though... Brian forewent the oil seal and bearing change and is pressing on. Clay's impression is that he feels bulletproof at this point, and is actually going to be taking the Grapevine!
Clay got some pics and he is sending them to me so I can update the www.jeepdeathpool.com
You sure he didn't find out about this? You would think that they would try and make the fix if he knew somewhere to do so.
I kind of think that he is skipping the fix to prove a point, it not to us then I guess himself.

460 jus getn it
08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Well shit Wes........Im still going to go buy there and see if he is there.

Dave C
08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
the suspense is killing me... the hour of destruction is upon us, I say....... :rollside:

squirt'nmyload
08-09-2006, 03:16 PM
i just went by the original address......i saw a sign on the door that said opm customs...maybe it was old...but no jeep or boat sightings there

460 jus getn it
08-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Heading out the door right now. Lets see what i find..............................

Sportin' Wood
08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I can not believe he made it this far. Hats off.

Mandelon
08-09-2006, 03:44 PM
I am amazed too. :cool:

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm amazed as well. Hats off to him for attempting this adventure. Actually surprised he is making such good time. Definitely going to send in my $20 when he completes the trip.

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah... I am with you guys. But, he is getting cocky and is taking the Grapevine.
Like someone said, this is done all the time in the third world. He has been willing to travel third world speed the whole time, and as such he is making it. I would have, and did, bet that he wouldn't have the patience for 33 mph across Texas with no top on the Jeep, a kid with him and 22 hours of the Lone Star State ahead of him. I thought for sure Ranger Hill would kill him prior to that, and that at the end of Texas, the 4,000 mile climb out to El Paso would have corked the whole thing off.
I am just as sure that he won't see Gorman. That being said, only a couple people bet anything after Phoenix, so if he splits any distance between this and Quartzite, they win any breakdown past Quartzite...
He is headed West on the 10 right now. Keep your eyes open folks!

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Anyone get pictures?

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Here is a shot from Clay from in front of the new world headquarters of OPM Customs...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/jeepandboat.jpg
Clay said the tires are very nearly touching the fenders just sitting there. No doubt he is rubbing pretty hard when he hits bumps...

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 04:55 PM
He stopped there even though he didnt get the work done to the Jeep?
Here is a shot from Clay from in front of the new world headquarters of OPM Customs...
Clay said the tires are very nearly touching the fenders just sitting there. No doubt he is rubbing pretty hard when he hits bumps...

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 04:59 PM
The Jeep, boat and trailer actually look pretty good. He could probably put some of the load that's in the back of the jeep into the back of the boat to level out the load. :idea:

KACHINA KEN
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
The Jeep, boat and trailer actually look pretty good. He could probably put some of the load that's in the back of the jeep into the back of the boat to level out the load. :idea:
Thats what I like about you Mike, you're a thinkin fella.

HavasuSelect
08-09-2006, 05:18 PM
That incline before Gorman is killer, I barely made it up with my old 4 banger Ranger with no load. There's gonna be some angry people on the freeway if they stay behind him.

wsuwrhr
08-09-2006, 05:32 PM
The last "free" boat I accepted cost me over $7000.

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 06:05 PM
The last "free" boat I accepted cost me over $7000.
That's a good point.....I've had some "free" pussy that got pretty damn expensive..... :cry:
:cool:

HavasuSelect
08-09-2006, 06:54 PM
That's a good point.....I've had some "free" pussy that got pretty damn expensive..... :cry:
:cool:
Does that mean you got married?

coolchange
08-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I made many trips to the river in a 75 Datsun pullin a 19' Tahiti on tandom with brakes.(not mine) All it takes to get up the Grapevine is patience, it's the other side that I'd be sweatin'! Hope all goes safely.

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Does that mean you got married?
Yea...twice married....twice divorced....two time looser. Yea...that free stuff gets expensive!!! :idea: :cry:
:boxed:

TRUMP TIGHT
08-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Yea...that free stuff gets expensive!!! :idea: :cry:
:boxed:
:D

Froggystyle
08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
OK, He is in Ontario right now!!!
Keep an eye out for him on the road everyone! He will be going through the heart of ***boat land here for the next hour or so, then up the Grapevine!
Wes

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Wish was home in Castaic to get a picture of him heading up the Grape Vine.
OK, He is in Ontario right now!!!
Keep an eye out for him on the road everyone! He will be going through the heart of ***boat land here for the next hour or so, then up the Grapevine!
Wes

Chestah Cheetah
08-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Let me know if he is planning on taking the 880 at all or just 5 to 580 then San Rafael Bridge?? I'm 4 blocks away in Alameda and willing to pass over a couple over a couple of Gatorades for the final stretch...it has that L.A. Marathon vibe to it. :cool: