PDA

View Full Version : Outboard service in the 951??

CHEETER-JOE
08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I know Shoemaker is in Corona, but I am sure he is booked solid. Who else will service an older 2-stroke Merc 140? It needs all three carbs rebuilt, a new impeller kit and new lower unit oil and just overlook everything. I have two weeks to get this done if anyone knows someone or even someone that does this on the side. I have a shop manual, but I never touched an outboard and rather have it done right, besides I just dont have the time right now. I just want someone that I can trust and not rip me off. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Its not in the 951 but I am pretty sure John's Custom Marine services outboards and they are trustworthy. Located in anaheim. :rollside:

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Have heard reviews of these places
Bob's Boat Repair
14615 Wood Rd, Riverside, CA 92508
(951) 780-7916
G S Marine
172 Business Center Dr, Corona, CA 92880
(951) 272-6060

CHEETER-JOE
08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Its not in the 951 but I am pretty sure John's Custom Marine services outboards and they are trustworthy. Located in anaheim. :rollside:
Thanks, I called them, they are at least two weeks out and want $650.00
Is this a good or average price for this work?

CHEETER-JOE
08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Have heard reviews of these places
Bob's Boat Repair
14615 Wood Rd, Riverside, CA 92508
(951) 780-7916
G S Marine
172 Business Center Dr, Corona, CA 92880
(951) 272-6060
Thanks,
Bob's has the wrong number and I looked for an alternate without any luck.
GS (Greg Shoemaker) I called, and they do not service outboards.
Thanks so far.........

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Joe,
I have the lower unit you need. Excellent condition. PM me if interested.
I'm in Canada so shipping will cost you a bit but I'll sell the unit cheap.
- Tom

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Sorry about that. Those are the numbers listed in the phone directory.
Thanks,
Bob's has the wrong number and I looked for an alternate without any luck.
GS (Greg Shoemaker) I called, and they do not service outboards.
Thanks so far.........

CHEETER-JOE
08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Joe,
I have the lower unit you need. Excellent condition. PM me if interested.
I'm in Canada so shipping will cost you a bit but I'll sell the unit cheap.
- Tom
Thanks Tom, but the lower unit I have is good, just needs a new impeller and new oil.

CHEETER-JOE
08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Sorry about that. Those are the numbers listed in the phone directory.
I looked through the directory also, same number. Thanks anyway.
If anyone here is willing to do this service on the side or whatever, I will buy the parts needed and pay cash :) :)

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks Tom, but the lower unit I have is good, just needs a new impeller and new oil.
Sorry about that. I didn't read your post very closely.
There are some quirks with the old inlines that few people know about anymore. If it's been sitting a long time, it may need some updating. The mid range air bleed screws (I think they're 0.080) need to be removed completely. Also, make sure it is synchronized so that it hits max advance before the carbs even begin cracking or it will sag like hell before trying to take off.
Good luck with it. :)

BADBLOWN572
08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
The only place that I would let touch my outboard is John's Custom in Anaheim. Al is the best in the industry! They are definitely not the low price leader, but they are also not on the upper end either. He would definitely be the best return on your $ without a doubt. Everything will be done and done right!

CHEETER-JOE
08-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I talked to Alan, but the two week lead time will be cutting it close. I know its prime time of the season, but hoping to get it done before that. The boat is planned for a trip in a couple of weeks. I will figure out something. Thanks for the replies.

CHEETER-JOE
08-03-2006, 04:16 PM
OK, I have all the parts ordered..........................Who wants to help?? :)

HM
08-03-2006, 06:23 PM
There is Lakeland marine that is know for good outboard service. My t/th ski buddies just had their boat serviced there. In and out, and the boat runs great.
They are in Lake Elsinore. Here is another thread talking about Lakeland Lakeland Marine Thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53994&highlight=lakeland+marine)

Tom Brown
08-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I hesitate to comment on this because I fix my own crap but HOLY COW! :eek:
How does that break down? $400 for the carb rebuilds and $150 for a new impeller and $100 for the gear oil change?
I've got to get me into the outboard repair business.
Let me tell you how the story goes around here.
You buy a new boat or the boat you have stops running properly. You take it to the shop and they tell you about the three week wait. Knowing there's no way you can wait that long, you tow it to another shop. Before the day is out, you discover every shop in town has a three week wait. With really no choice, you take it back to your first choice guy and you wait.
After the seventh week, you go to your guy all hot and bothered to ask him why the hell he hasn't started working on your boat. His response, "You want it done faster? Go have sex with a pony." You decide not to shoot him and you leave with your best pretend smile.
You drive by every day for the next three weeks just hoping to see your boat in a different place in the compound or, better yet, inside the service bay. Nine weeks in, it's finally in. You weep. It's finally going to be fixed.
Days go by and they don't call. For some reason, it takes another week before they call. You're almost home so patience is a little easier to find now. They tell you some shit is broken. Their recommendation is to remove the broken shit and replace the broken shit with some new shit. You find the general approach makes sense. "Fourteen hundred dollars? .... ahhhh... [you have no idea how you're going to pay but you have no choice]..... OK... go ahead!"
Two weeks later, you pay and take the boat home. Once home, you notice on the itemized the bill that you just paid $270 to charge the battery you ran down on the water when it was broken. :mad: :mad: :mad:
The $175 for shop supplies seems a little steep also but at least that's not something you just paid for that could have done yourself. You now know that's the last time you will go to that shop but you're still happy to have the boat.
Once home, you don't disconnect the boat. You rush in the house to get your shit, expecting to see your woman ready to go since you called her 30 minutes prior to let her know you're coming home with the boat. The little woman is chit-chatting happily her mother. Doesn't she know it's fixed? Doesn't she want to go to the lake? WTF?
Frantic circular motions with your hands help the lady of the house understand that she has to wrap the conversation up in thirty minutes. As aggravating as that is, it's better than the three hours they usually chat.
Once off the phone, she says, "Is the boat fixed? Did you bring it home? Are we going to the lake?" You know you're well beyond being civil at this point so you say nothing and frantically throw shit into boxes with your head down, hoping she will get the message that "it's go time". She does but doesn't care for the cold shoulder treatment and makes a point of dragging her heels.
Once you've got all of her work done... packing the food, cooler, water toys, air mattresses, and 14 boxes of shit that is absolutely required but contain items you could never list if asked... you head to the bedroom to pack your clothes. Being a man, know this is an 8 second job. You go to the closet and find you have no clean bathing suits. Two suits from the hamper are jammed into your bag. The top drawer reveals you have no clean underwear, either. A pair of jeans, two t-shirts, and a sweater follow the soiled suits into the bag.
... and you're off on a commando weekend.
You get to the lake and immediately launch the boat. Requests for bathroom breaks and a snack prior to boating are denied. I mean..... get serious.
Let's face it... on the boat ramp, you're the man. You take the opportunity to beat the hell out of reverse gear and leave it in the alley with it's watch and wallet gone. Just for effect, you make a point of not hitting the brakes from the time you hit reverse in the staging area until the boat is floating. A piercing look at the people on the dock tells them, "Deal with that..... you incompetent pieces of..."
... and why are they still on the dock, anyway? They put in 25 minutes ago. Sure, it took them 20 minutes to park the truck and walk 100 feet back to the boat but they're all there..... just standing there.... in the way... :mad: :mad: :mad:
You get to the pier and your crew is ready to board. They sense they can't pull any shit so don't doddle. They hop right in. The geriatric ward is applying sun block to each on the launch dock, instead of moving their boat. With no time to kick their ass, you jump in and push your boat straight sideways. Glorious!
Everyone in... screw the life jackets... hit the key............................................... ...........
.................................................. ...........
Nothing. Not a ****ing thing. Knowing it will fire eventually, you crank it for several minutes. Must be out of gas. You check the fuel... nope... fuel's fine.
Lifting the hatch, it reeks of fuel. .... maybe the fuel has been turned off at the tank. :idea:
You crawl under deck and turn the fuel off, then back on. Hit the key again.... still nothing.
Time goes by... your forehead and temples go nuclear... but basically you're completely and totally ****ed. The boat is doing exactly what it was doing before you took it in...... nothing.
The evening ends and you head back to town knowing that at least now the shop will work it right in and fix it under warranty.
"Three weeks."
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/eh.gif
Are they ****ing kidding me?
Eleven more weeks go by, you cut a check for $1100 more, and you go back to the lake to discover that not one thing about your boat has changed. It is totally ****ed. You consider violence.
With no other options, you begin the cycle again...... maybe you can borrow money from your best friend. :idea:
Hey Cheeter-Joe... did I ever tell you why I started fixing my own shit?

Jbb
08-03-2006, 07:07 PM
All the more reason for owning a jet.... :p

Tom Brown
08-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm telling you..... there were times when even I considered it. Can you imagine? :D :D :D

Jbb
08-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm telling you..... there were times when even I considered it. Can you imagine? :D :D :D
:jawdrop:

Tom Brown
08-03-2006, 07:41 PM
OK, I have all the parts ordered..........................Who wants to help?? :)
I'll help any way I can. The jobs you are about to do are all easy but you have to be careful not to break the plastic choke plates and linkage when you take off the carbs. It's not that hard, just be careful.
You'll be upset about the $650 number when this is all done.
Oh... but rebuilding the carbs won't fix that low speed bog you have unless you time and synchronize it properly.... and that means not doing it according to the Mercury manual.
Don't worry, we'll get you going. You might want to move your questions down to the Outboards section.

CHEETER-JOE
08-03-2006, 08:11 PM
WOW!!! That gave me a headache just reading that Tom. :cry: thanks :)
I have already started the teardown, got the water pump out and drained the lower oil. I will start the carbs after I get the parts. The parts cost me about $150 for everything including oil. I am having a hard time finding the correct water pump base. The part number on the one I have now is nowhere to be found on the parts catologs on the net. I know some parts have been changed from OEM to aftermarket. I will keep searching.
The only reason that I hesitated doing this at first is because I have never been around outboards. I am pretty handy with my mechanical skills having done a few V8 motors and some 2-stroke atv motors. After some research, this OB motor is almost a mix between the V8 and the atv motors!!! What an effed up combo,,,,,lol.
Anyway, thanks for all the input. Tom, I may be PM'ing you if I have any probs if thats ok..................Joey

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 04:35 AM
They make jet boats? Jets as in airplanes? :)

Riverkid
08-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Give Eric Simon a call. He's a bit of a tow from the IE but IMO worth it. He took my Schiada in the day after I called him, Did all you mention, plus replaced the trim pump/ram ass'y on my 200, and had it done and ready to pick up 5 working days later (he told me initially two weeks).
Boat runs better than ever, and he was painless to deal with. Sharp guy.
Good luck.

Froggystyle
08-04-2006, 09:01 AM
I've got to get me into the outboard repair business.
**** yeah Brown!
One of these days over some thin watery American beer I will tell you the story of how I started building boats... There is similarities.