PDA

View Full Version : tech in advice for a first time racer

wet and wild
08-04-2002, 08:27 PM
hey, im gonna be racing for my first time next mont, i have the basics, kill switch, rope deflector, boat is sanitary, personal protective equip., im looking to do 70-80 in an 18 foot flat, anything else i may need for technical inpection ? thanks for all replies

Sangster
08-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Be sure there is no chrome on your underwater hardware / prop / rudder / ect......

blondie#1
08-05-2002, 03:16 PM
You will also need safety collars for rudder, propshaft and steering column. Also need to have prop, rudder magnafluxed after you dechrome it. I've raced with FVDBA for 3 years and this is a must. Also, you have to have some type of floation device under the deck of your boat. It will help save your boat from going under water totally. Hopefully you will never experience that. But it is still better to be safe than sorry. We are also required to meet these qualifications even for circle boat racing. Make sure that your helmet is '95 snell approved and your lifejacket is certified.

Monkey Bung
08-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Sangster:
Be sure there is no chrome on your underwater hardware / prop / rudder / ect......I thought that was only 100mph and up?

bt273
08-05-2002, 03:33 PM
wet and wild:
hey, im gonna be racing for my first time next mont, i have the basics, kill switch, rope deflector, boat is sanitary, personal protective equip., im looking to do 70-80 in an 18 foot flat, anything else i may need for technical inpection ? thanks for all repliesWet and Wild,make sure you have throttle return springs on each carb,9 lb. fire ext. in tow vehicle,make sure your rudder box/rudder does not have a lot of play,they like them snug,safety collars on rudder/prop shaft and have some body steer your boat left and right while you are under the boat and check for clearance of the rudder from the cav plate(so that it doesnt rub/tightness)and not a lot of slop in your srut bushings,then you should be ok!!!

wet and wild
08-05-2002, 05:17 PM
the rudder is chrome, ill be running w/ njba, will they make a big deal of this ? i have all saftey collers, fire ext. etc. as listed above , i hope to pass tech in.

superdave013
08-05-2002, 09:01 PM
It's a real little thing but they will ding ya for it. They want to see a zip tie going around the clamp that holds the throttle cable.

smalls
08-05-2002, 09:05 PM
you probably already have a cotterpin in the prop shaft after the nut, I've seen people drilling the hole at the track.
[ August 06, 2002, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: smalls ]

WILDERTHANU54
08-05-2002, 09:07 PM
superdave013:
It's a real little thing but they will ding ya for it. They want to see a zip tie going around the clamp that holds the throttle cable.I PUT SAFTEY WIRE AROUND THAT ???
GEOFF

CircleJerk
08-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Good Advise, Did anyone mention a throttle stop so when you mash it the little linkage ball and socket rod end doesnt snap? Jerk

wet and wild
08-06-2002, 06:28 PM
yep., prop has a kotter key, ok, well, thanks for all your help, ill drag my ride on up to lake ming in sept, any cvdcoa members stop on by, or ill see you at the island..... thanks guys..... AQUAHOLIC.....