PDA

View Full Version : Transmission

v-drive
12-26-2002, 11:09 AM
Ok now, if I was going to put a transmission in my 66 lavey craft what do I have to do. Can I leave the v-drive where it's at. I want to do this but I confess I don't have a clue. The engine I am using is an Olds, not the most popular but I am pleased with it and I know that with a transmission the engine won't work as hard at least when I'm driving it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :cool: V-drive

blondie#1
12-26-2002, 11:21 AM
v-drive:
Ok now, if I was going to put a transmission in my 66 lavey craft what do I have to do. Can I leave the v-drive where it's at. I want to do this but I confess I don't have a clue. The engine I am using is an Olds, not the most popular but I am pleased with it and I know that with a transmission the engine won't work as hard at least when I'm driving it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :cool: V-drive We have had the experience in the past of trying out the boat the way it is setup first. You might find that you don't want the transmission in it. Transmissions are great(as long as you don't use reverse, you could sink the boat if water goes over the Transom), but they do add weight to the boat, so your speed (if racing)will be slower. It depends on what you want for performance. I recommend that you try it as it was orginally setup. Then, decide if you want to go to all the work of adding the transmission. We've been told to change one thing at a time and if it doesn't work you will know what you did. If you do to much at once, you'll never no which one didn't work. Just my thoughts. By the way I drive a '70 Lavey. Have fun with your boat and have a Happy Holiday Season. :cool: :D wink

DansBlown73Nordic
12-26-2002, 11:27 AM
In my 66 Stevens I have always wanted to ad a trans. The problem is that there is not much room between the engine and the Casale. 26 i.n. I think. So I bought a Velvet Drive trans C-71. It would work great because they are very small. Thats as far as I ever got.
Now the Schiada has a Turbo-400. That works excellent.Lots more room. I can back up at 45 with no worries!!! eek!
[ December 26, 2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Dans66Stevens ]

GofastRacer
12-27-2002, 07:07 AM
v-drive:
Ok now, if I was going to put a transmission in my 66 lavey craft what do I have to do. Can I leave the v-drive where it's at. I want to do this but I confess I don't have a clue. The engine I am using is an Olds, not the most popular but I am pleased with it and I know that with a transmission the engine won't work as hard at least when I'm driving it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :cool: V-drive In my opinion, a trans don't belong in a flat unless in a race boat and a Lenco is used. They add weight and take up room and you definitly don't want to back up in a flat!!..If you really want to put one in, you will have to move the motor back, you can't move the V-Drive, if you do, you have to move the strut!. You will have to make a cross member for the trans, you should also have a midplate, you will need a solid drive to replace the converter, a trans cooler will be needed, plumbing and wiring will have to be changed to accomodate engine relocation. Depending on how your setup is now, it could become quite a project!.. Something to think about?, and pesonally, I don't see any benefit in having one in a flat!...Just my .02 for whatever it's worth!!.. eek!
[ December 27, 2002, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Hud
12-27-2002, 07:30 AM
Buy a jet boat

126driver
12-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Hud:
Buy a jet boat C'mon dude. If you're going to troll at least throw some bait on the hook. wink Put a little effort into it, will ya? :D

v-drive
12-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll leave it alone and move forward. Thanks Hud but I've already had one of those and I still feel the pain. :cool: V-drive

sgdiv7
12-27-2002, 12:39 PM
Hey Art, I would have to say you don't do any boating at lakes. I have a PG in my flattie and you have seen the boat. Has been in the boat for two years now with zero problems and I am at the lake 3 out of four weekends a month. That trans sure helps with idling through no wake zones at the lakes in Az. some of them go on for ever. Befor I put the trans in I was always getting yelled at from boat cops. The trans also helps to stop the boat when you come up to a dock when it is a busy day at the lake and some of the people that don't pay attention to what they are doing. If your only boating at the river I would say no. as far as bracing the trans, I didn't and seems to work fine and I don't see guy's with Lenco bracing theirs. I did have to buy the short main shaft for the trans which was pricey and far as a cooler goes I used a small powersteering one and mounted it in the bellhousing of the trans. I can't tow any other boats for any distance or it will over heat. Water sking and 10 mile trips no problem.

GofastRacer
12-27-2002, 01:03 PM
sgdiv7:
Hey Art, I would have to say you don't do any boating at lakes. I have a PG in my flattie and you have seen the boat. Has been in the boat for two years now with zero problems and I am at the lake 3 out of four weekends a month. That trans sure helps with idling through no wake zones at the lakes in Az. some of them go on for ever. Befor I put the trans in I was always getting yelled at from boat cops. The trans also helps to stop the boat when you come up to a dock when it is a busy day at the lake and some of the people that don't pay attention to what they are doing. If your only boating at the river I would say no. as far as bracing the trans, I didn't and seems to work fine and I don't see guy's with Lenco bracing theirs. I did have to buy the short main shaft for the trans which was pricey and far as a cooler goes I used a small powersteering one and mounted it in the bellhousing of the trans. I can't tow any other boats for any distance or it will over heat. Water sking and 10 mile trips no problem. Well, you do have a point about no wake zones, low gear does help. Since you have a glide along with the shorty kit in it, it does make for a lighter and shorter unit but if you use a TH400, it's way too long and heavy not to have a brace, I have seen cases break because of that before!. Two speed Lenco's are short and lighter than trannys and even the VevetDrives work without a brace!!..BTW, I couldn't put one in mine anyhow, my motor is mounted the in right way, LOL!.. :D

GofastRacer
12-27-2002, 01:03 PM
Crap!.. :mad:
[ December 27, 2002, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Hud
12-27-2002, 04:32 PM
V-drive, just kiding around a little. If don't mind the weight, there a good deal.