PDA

View Full Version : Over taking another vessel rules

nodigg
08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Two toots to the left, one to the right? :)

DMOORE
08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
I thought you just had to mob the owners and throw them overboard.

nodigg
08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Over taking or taking over? I dunno the rules either way.

bordsmnj
08-01-2006, 04:51 PM
except for the women.

HocusPocus
08-01-2006, 04:53 PM
i don't think you need to sound the horn when overtaking a vessel.
just when meeting head on.
port to port = 1 short blast
starboard to starboard = 2 short blasts

Biglue
08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Truthfully I never keep my air blaster very handy. If I am within hand gesture range I point in the direction I'm going to turn to. If the distance is greater than that, I'll just get the hell out of his way and turn way right so it's very clear what my intentions are.

ratso
08-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Two toots to the left, one to the right? :)
I think that's right, and if they happen to be friends, trim it out and roost them real good... :rollside:

TRUMP TIGHT
08-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Truthfully I never keep my air blaster very handy. If I am within hand gesture range I point in the direction I'm going to turn to. If the distance is greater than that, I'll just get the hell out of his way and turn way right so it's very clear what my intentions are.
That sounds like the best way to go about it!:D

thumbs
08-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Inland Rules:
"I want to pass you on your port side." 2 short blasts (1 sec.) from overtaking vessel.
"Proceed" from vessel being overtaken, 2 short blasts (1 sec.)
"I want to pass you on your starboard side." 1 short blast (1 sec.) from overtaking vessel.
"Proceed" from vessel being takenover, 1 short blast
(1 sec.)

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Works for me. :)
Am sure BoatCop will chine in and explain the rules to all of us.
I think that's right, and if they happen to be friends, trim it out and roost them real good... :rollside:

Boatcop
08-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Under Inland rules 1 short blast on the horn means "I intend to alter my course to Starboard."
The other vessel, if agreeing to the maneuver, will respond with a like signal. (1 short blast in this scenario)
If they don't agree, or if the maneuver will place 1 or both vessels in peril, they will respond with the danger signal (5 or more short blasts)
2 short blasts mean that I intend to alter my course to port.
Keep in mind that in inland waters sound signals indicate an intention to alter course.
In International waters, sound signals indicate an action, as in I AM altering my course.
No matter the signal, the overtaking vessel (passing a slower vessel) has 100% responsiblity for any collision, until she is well past the other. Any alteration of course by the overtaken vessel (the slower one being passed) will not turn the overtaking situation into a crossing one.

ratso
08-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Under Inland rules 1 short blast on the horn means "I intend to alter my course to Starboard."
The other vessel, if agreeing to the maneuver, will respond with a like signal. (1 short blast in this scenario)
If they don't agree, or if the maneuver will place 1 or both vessels in peril, they will respond with the danger signal (5 or more short blasts)
2 short blasts mean that I intend to alter my course to port.
Keep in mind that in inland waters sound signals indicate an intention to alter course.
In International waters, sound signals indicate an action, as in I AM altering my course.
No matter the signal, the overtaking vessel (passing a slower vessel) has 100% responsiblity for any collision, until she is well past the other. Any alteration of course by the overtaken vessel (the slower one being passed) will not turn the overtaking situation into a crossing one.
That would be very easy to misinterpret if the driver is drinking... :rolleyes:
That's almost as hard to understand as the every other letter FST... :idea: :D

nodigg
08-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Since most of us river boaters don't know the rules or don't have a horn, what is the safest side to pass on, the "passing" side left or the right side as is normal? on waterways? Say going up river to the sand bar.

RitcheyRch
08-02-2006, 04:38 AM
You should get a horn or whistle since is required equipment.
Since most of us river boaters don't know the rules or don't have a horn, what is the safest side to pass on, the "passing" side left or the right side as is normal? on waterways? Say going up river to the sand bar.