PDA

View Full Version : Dry sockets???

Nord
08-01-2006, 04:44 PM
I got all of my wisdom teeth extracted last Wednesday and have been in extreme pain since the surgery (double impacted).
Anyhow, I finally went back to the dentist today to tell him the pain is unbareable and he told me I had dry sockets (nerve ending exposed due to lack of blood clots)
He packed some skinny medicated goz into the holes in my mouth and sent me on my way with pain pills.
I am in so much pain I want to die...........It seriously sucks and I have to cancel my river trip this weekend with RiverDave............
Anyone ever had these?? How long does it last?? When can I eat solid foods again??

Tom Brown
08-01-2006, 04:55 PM
I can't help you Nord but I know the mouth is extremely vascular so hopefully it won't take too long to heal. Pain in the mouth isn't a lot of fun. Sorry, bud....

HocusPocus
08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
the best dry socket treatment is to leave a dry socket alone and to support patients nutritionally and with pain medications to ease the dental pain. Fortunately, like a bad cold, dry socket pain almost always goes away by itself after several days to a week. Over-the-counter pain medications, such as Tylenol, Motrin, or Alleve, do not help very much. In most cases a narcotic pain reliever is needed and can be used with over these over-the-counter medications. Narcotics such as Tylenol Number 3 or percocet are usually effective in controling dry socket symptoms.
Many dentists provide dry socket treatment by packing a dry socket with medications to help decrease the pain. However, the packing process can irritate the problem and when the medication wears off in two hours, the pain sometimes returns worse than before it was packed so it's usually best to leave the area alone. We reserve the use of dry socket packing only for severe cases but fortunately, we have very few severe dry sockets.
Probably the best dry socket treatment is to rest and eat well. Your body has to heal and it needs the materials provided in food to do this. Many patients with a dry socket don't eat because it hurt but this is totally the wrong thing to do. Taking a few days off of work will usually not kill you and you can sleep whenever you wish. This is a very good reason to have any elective oral surgery done at the end of the week.
hope this helps.

DeeCandyBar
08-01-2006, 05:00 PM
http://www.encinosmiledr.com/wisdom_pain.gif
Things that dry socket sufferers can do to reduce their chances of suffering dry socket after a tooth extraction:
1) Avoid using straws as the change in pressure within your mouth can displace a newly formed clot.
2) Avoid smoking which can infect the blood clot within the bony socket.
3) Avoid using commercial mouthwashes which contain substances that can destroy blood clots.
4) Smash your thumb with a hammer. It will make you forget about the pain in your jaw.

3 daytona`s
08-01-2006, 05:19 PM
I got all of my wisdom teeth extracted last Wednesday and have been in extreme pain since the surgery (double impacted).
Anyhow, I finally went back to the dentist today to tell him the pain is unbareable and he told me I had dry sockets (nerve ending exposed due to lack of blood clots)
He packed some skinny medicated goz into the holes in my mouth and sent me on my way with pain pills.
I am in so much pain I want to die...........It seriously sucks and I have to cancel my river trip this weekend with RiverDave............
Anyone ever had these?? How long does it last?? When can I eat solid foods again??
NORD my sympathy I went thru that about 15 years ago it was the worst wisdom tooth extraction this Oral Surgeon had ever done(that was comforting) then just like it started hurting and I`ve told people seriously if I had a revolver would consider. I had to go back for a procedure they cakk scraping. I just can`t proceed NORD for your sake. Pray don`t have to do it. I`m assuming these are the lower Wisdoms as extremely rare for the uppers. I`ve had discussions many times why do we have Wisdom Teeth,Tonsils,appendix Gall Bladder It sure can make Life difficult. Hey Man Good Luck and as a former post said don`t use a straw. :frown:

Garrddogg
08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
DUDE!! Im sorry, Its gonna hurt..

vmjtc3
08-01-2006, 05:41 PM
It should be better with in a day or 2. He should have told you to come back in a coupla days to have it repacked. After the second one it should be a done deal........ :cry:

Kachina26
08-01-2006, 05:41 PM
4) Smash your thumb with a hammer. It will make you forget about the pain in your jaw.
Bullshit!! Nothing makes you forget about that pain! Not even 5 Vicodin! Sorry to hear about that, it does get better, but there's not much else like that pain.

Ion
08-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Had all 4 yanked years ago..two impacted with hooked roots & dry socket on one to boot! The quack that did mine did offer a good solution for pain...clove soaked gauze to pack in the holes and...VICODIN. There's a horror story attached to this story, but I'll spare you the details and hope it doesn't happen to you.

soupersonic
08-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Ion hit the nail on the head,take some gauze soaked in clove oil and pack it in there.Its what the dentists use in the medication they use.Been there done that,it sucks but in a few days it will be better.

Nord
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info.....the medicated goz they used helped a lot!!! The pain just went away after the hydrocordizone (vicoden) kicked in. He told me to remove the packing myself in three days and let it clot again. I hope all the rough stuff is over.
I have never had pain like this in my life!!!!!!!!!
I would pay good money to eat solid foods again....:(

ratso
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
...had my jaw wired for 2 months... discomforting but not as painful.

Mrs.Racer277
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info.....the medicated goz they used helped a lot!!! The pain just went away after the hydrocordizone (vicoden) kicked in. He told me to remove the packing myself in three days and let it clot again. I hope all the rough stuff is over.
I have never had pain like this in my life!!!!!!!!!
I would pay good money to eat solid foods again....:(
I just thank god you only have to go thru it once.
I had 4 impacted. Sucked, the first night I had an ice bag tied to my head like in the cartoons and tears just running down my face. Hurts to much to actually cry out loud.
I am so sorry to hear you got dry socks. I hope you get better soon. I remember it took some time before I could actually eat food. I even thought about blending food. :yuk: I ate lots of yogurt I remember.
Get well soon.
XXOO
Dia

little rowe boat
08-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I can't help you Nord but I know the mouth is extremely vascular so hopefully it won't take too long to heal. Pain in the mouth isn't a lot of fun. Sorry, bud....
I had mine out a year ago last january and I kid you not, I was in pain for 2 months. I wanted to die.
They had me on so much pain meds that I would wake up in a pool of sweat every night.

Moneypitt
08-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Does this condition have anything to do with the sinus cavitivy? I just had an upper molar extracted and the root actually was into the sinus cavitivy. My mouth is not sealed from the sinus passage and I know air is passing through the socket. Someone mentioned lower wisdom teeth, and I know there is no way that was related to any sinus issue. Should I be doing something about the air passing through the socket?...........MP