PDA

View Full Version : Hey Satellite TV Gurus...

Boatcop
08-01-2006, 07:12 PM
I know I can use a digital splitter from the dish to the Direct TV DVR so I can watch and record different shows at the same time. (Dual LNB, but one feed goes to a different room)
My question.....
Does the splitter have to be near the dish, which means running a new cable...
or can I install the splitter after the cable comes out of the wall, close to the receiver?
Gracias in advance.

slink
08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I know I can use a digital splitter from the dish to the Direct TV DVR so I can watch and record different shows at the same time. (Dual LNB, but one feed goes to a different room)
My question.....
or can I install the splitter after the cable comes out of the wall, close to the receiver?
Gracias in advance.
I had the same dilema. don't make the same mistake I did. You have to have both lines from your dish go into the splitter, then you can pick up two lines(out) and feed them into your DVR and take a third line (out) from the splitter to where the other original second line went. Hope that makes sense. The splitter I got at BB had six outlets. Good luck

Boatcop
08-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I had the same dilema. don't make the same mistake I did. You have to have both lines from your dish go into the splitter, then you can pick up two lines(out) and feed them into your DVR and take a third line (out) from the splitter to where the other original second line went. Hope that makes sense. The splitter I got at BB had six outlets. Good luck
So I will have to run that extra line from the dish to the receiver afterall, huh?

Nord
08-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty sure you do have to run another line from the dish itself.
What you need to watch is the amount of juice coming from the line after the split.... You will lose channels if the signal isn't strong enough. If this is the case, then you need to run a multi thinga-mabob which will boost the signal to the new lines.......
Good luck!
~NORD~

slink
08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
So I will have to run that extra line from the dish to the receiver afterall, huh?
Yes, sorry. I initially hooked it up with the one line coming out of the wall, then two lines into the DVR. After reprogramming the reciever (1hr) it worked like it was supposed to (read as if two lines were coming in) but when I would switch from SAT 1 to SAT 2, some(most) of the channels would not come in. After cussing up a storm for another hour, I finally called Direct TV and asked them what was up. She informed me that both lines were need for signal strength to go into the splitter. I didn't want to F' with doing it myself, so I paid them $99 to hook it up. The installer was cool and ended up running lines into every room of the house (just incase). now it works great

Riveratz
08-02-2006, 06:56 AM
My question.....
Gracias in advance.
You need to put in a multi switch (so you can have more than 2 lines) and yes all lines need to be home ran from that point.

2Driver
08-02-2006, 07:05 AM
PM Roz.

cdog
08-02-2006, 07:16 AM
Since we're on the subject. I have one of the newer Dtv HD box's from costco and the dam thing resets or goes blank 3-5 times a night starting around 7pm. Drive's me up the wall, right in the middle of a movie. I have to hit the reset button and wait for it to re-boot. I've even cut all power to the box and it still does the same thing. What is this? :cry:

Riveratz
08-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Since we're on the subject. I have one of the newer Dtv HD box's from costco and the dam thing resets or goes blank 3-5 times a night starting around 7pm. Drive's me up the wall, right in the middle of a movie. I have to hit the reset button and wait for it to re-boot. I've even cut all power to the box and it still does the same thing. What is this? :cry:
A bad box.. Call DTV and they will replace it.

GunninGopher
08-02-2006, 01:31 PM
You need to put in a multi switch (so you can have more than 2 lines) and yes all lines need to be home ran from that point.
100% correct.
Your dual LNB will feed the multiswitch. Each receiver's "Sat-in" plug(s) need to have thier own cable to that multiswitch.
If you are installing cable for digital satellite, you should run at least 2 RG6 cables to each location from 1 common point. That is the 'home run' being referred to above. You can combine Analog Cable with digital satellite onto 1 cable using a diplexer, but you cannot combine 2 digital satellite signals. I have seen digital Cable used with a diplexor, but some of the services, like video on demand, were buggy.

ROZ
08-03-2006, 12:35 AM
I like the Spaun products for amplified distribution...

DeeCandyBar
08-03-2006, 05:51 AM
this is the spaun multiswitch I used since I wanted hidef capabilities and to be able to record one show while watching another (need two cables to each receiver to do that and do hidef):
http://www.hometech.com/video/sp-sms5802.jpg
just google "spaun multiswitch"
Combines a cable carrying VHF/UHF signals (from an antenna or CATV) with all four cables from a DUO-dual LNB DSS satellite dish. (A dish specifically designed to pick up two satellites simultaneously.) Or from two dual-LNB dishes pointed in different directions.
Outputs for up to eight runs to satellite receiver boxes. (Requires SEW121 diplexer below at each receiver.)
For sample connection diagrams and more information, click here