PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Drain Plug Elbow ??

El Prosecutor
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM
My oil drain plug sits about 1.5" over the bottom of the bilge. I bought a Fram EZ Drain which is great but the fitting is too long to fit in the space I have. If I had an elbow coming out of the oil pan it would work perfectly. Does anyone know where I can get an elbow fitting for the oil pan with 1/2-20 threads?

tahitijet
01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
are u sure it's 1/2-20 and not NPT? mine was npt

El Prosecutor
01-10-2006, 10:14 PM
are u sure it's 1/2-20 and not NPT? mine was npt
Yep. Unfortunately it is not NPT - they are much easier to find elbows for. I found a pipe fitting that goes in the hole, but the tapered thread isn't exactly the same and I don't want to mess up the threads in the oil pan.

Squirtin Thunder
01-10-2006, 10:29 PM
My oil drain plug sits about 1.5" over the bottom of the bilge. I bought a Fram EZ Drain which is great but the fitting is too long to fit in the space I have. If I had an elbow coming out of the oil pan it would work perfectly. Does anyone know where I can get an elbow fitting for the oil pan with 1/2-20 threads?
The problem with those is they are very slow draining, even with hot oil.
I just let the oil drain over night.

Cas
01-10-2006, 11:07 PM
check these out
Oil drains (http://www.tewco.com/fumoto.shtml)
I have one on all my vehicles. As far as draining the oil out of the boat, it's pretty quick and easy. I open the valve up and use my compressor to pressurize the block. I plug the breather on one side and I made an adaptor for the other. Hook the air nozzle up, add a little air and the block is drained within about 2 minutes.....quick and easy.

Cas
01-10-2006, 11:13 PM
oh yea, Tewco also makes really nice custom cables.

El Prosecutor
01-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Those look great but unfortunately if I use one all the oil drains into the bilge and I have to suck it out with a shop vac, which works but is messy. There is no room for any kind of pan or funnel to catch the oil. If I can find an elbow to fit I could install a valve AND a drainage line. I have plenty of room horizontally, just no more than about 1.5" vertical space under the oil pan. :cool:

Cas
01-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I've got a drain line on the boat that is long enough to go out through the drain hole in the pump. Once outside the boat, I put the end into a 3 gal bucket.

El Prosecutor
01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I've got a drain line on the boat that is long enough to go out through the drain hole in the pump. Once outside the boat, I put the end into a 3 gal bucket.
How is yours attached to the oil pan?

Cas
01-10-2006, 11:38 PM
How is yours attached to the oil pan?
take the plug out and replace it with the drain valve. The ones I have are 90's. For the first draining, I just put a rag in the bilge and worked quick with real cold oil in the pan.

Rexone
01-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Perhaps the fitting in the center of this page (http://www.rexmar.com/page273.html) will work for you.
It is 1/2-20 on the male with 1/4 NPT on the female.

Aluminum Squirt
01-11-2006, 01:00 AM
I use the one from Rex (I think its from Rex, if not its a similar product) and do what CAS said. I keep the capped end of the hose (it's probably 3+' long, plenty to have it attached to the pan and the loose end brought up on top of the motor to a tie off point on my intake manifold) zip tied up on top of the motor. When I pull the sled out at the ramp and everything is nice and hot, I cut the zip tie, feed the hose out my bilge drain hole, and drain it into a bucket. Works perfectly evry time. I keep it zip tied up on top in case I ever loose the cap on the end of the hose, it won't gravity feed out into the hull at an inoportune time. Probably over kill with the zip tie but it's my anal little way of doing it and it keeps the capped end from flopping around-Aluminum Squirt

sleekcrafter
01-11-2006, 02:24 AM
I've had both quick drain valves and drain hose kits, I prefer the drain hose my self, even getting your hand to the quick drain is a major chore depending on your boat. The drain hose kit is a "no fuss no muss" way to go. Draining 12 qts of cold oil will take quite a while yes, but when it's warm, it's drained in less than 10 minutes :) I have enough hose to go thru the drain hole in the transom, and into a 5 gallon bucket behind the boat, when done it's capped, coiled and stowed on the transom. Its key to a clean bilge :rollside:
Sleek

El Prosecutor
01-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Perhaps the fitting in the center of (pg. 273) will work for you. It is 1/2-20 on the male with 1/4 NPT on the female.
Rex,
That will work perfectly.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252drain_kit.jpg
I was looking for something to come out of the oil pan that I could screw the sure-drain into, but the 1/2-20 kit above should accomplish the whole thing by itself. My only concern is that even that fitting might be too tall to go under my oil pan, but I am very optimistic. Thanks for taking the time to track it down.

1975sleekcraft
01-11-2006, 07:22 AM
marine stores sell a really cool tool.i'm sure there are many brands.mines called "suck up" it looks like a big pump sprayer(like for your yard).it has a long tube on it.you stick it down your dipstick tube-pump it up-wait 1/2 hour-it's full your motors empty-no more bilge mess to clean up.i know it sounds like it would take forever----but it doesnt----!
just a thought--i'm sure there sold everywhere--i bought mine @blueridgemarine

Moneypitt
01-11-2006, 07:42 AM
I have used my shop vac to drain the oil. Run a copper tube down the dipstick tube, connect a hose to a sealed container, (I used a 5gal water bottle with a rubber expandable plug with 2 holes in it), connect the other hose to the shop vac, create a vacuum, once the oil starts to flow it will siphon into the container. Not fast, but it will drain overnight. True it leaves a little oil in the very bottom, but it was better than the mess. Afterwords I rigged a drain system. You can also use the oil pump. Pull the dist, and using a prime tool with a pressure plug removed, hose barb and hose to a bucket. Just be careful not to run the pump "dry" for more than a couple of seconds. I think the key to any method is HOT oil. If there is room you could also put a bucket under the oil filter area, and pump away. To me, the worst way is the ol' trash bag in the bottom of the boat, but it also works.............MP

Danhercules
01-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Yep. Unfortunately it is not NPT - they are much easier to find elbows for. I found a pipe fitting that goes in the hole, but the tapered thread isn't exactly the same and I don't want to mess up the threads in the oil pan.
This is what I did. I used the pipe threads with some, ok a lot of tape. Its works fine. I admit that the threads are not exactly the same, but it keeps tight and dose not leak. I never have to take it out. After the elbow, I have a piece of solid pipe to reach past the pan so its easy for me to attach the hose that goes out my drain plug.

Devilman
01-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I'll take some pics of my set up if ya like. Has a elbow, with a ball valve, and length of hose that can be run out the drain plug hole. The inside diameter is the same size as the hole in the pan, so it drains really fast. Hot or cold. Don't recall what fittings we used putting it together, but maybe the pics will help.... Lemme know. :cool:

Cas
01-11-2006, 08:31 AM
whatever you use, if it's a rubber hose, wrap it with that ss braid or do something so the hose doesn't rub on the hull......that's speaking from experience. After a couple of years use, the hose ended up with a hole in it from the rubbing and bouncing around. Needless to say, I had about 6 qts of oil pumped into the bilge before I knew it. Talk about messy.

El Prosecutor
01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I'll take some pics of my set up if ya like. Has a elbow, with a ball valve, and length of hose that can be run out the drain plug hole. The inside diameter is the same size as the hole in the pan, so it drains really fast. Hot or cold. Don't recall what fittings we used putting it together, but maybe the pics will help.... Lemme know. :cool:
This^^ and all the other responses are good thoughts, but I can't see any downside to the kit from Rex. Dude is getting my Visa this weekend ( or at least then next time I change the oil). I am also going to follow Cas' advice and make sure the hose is protected. A busted hose would be a disaster out in the middle of the lake, and I have done enough paddling already in my life.

beerjet
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Before I got that set up from rex I thought it was easier to pull the motor out and drain it which I did and then I saw the light or should I say I saw the drian kit.

Devilman
01-11-2006, 01:35 PM
This^^ and all the other responses are good thoughts, but I can't see any downside to the kit from Rex. Dude is getting my Visa this weekend ( or at least then next time I change the oil). I am also going to follow Cas' advice and make sure the hose is protected. A busted hose would be a disaster out in the middle of the lake, and I have done enough paddling already in my life.
Haven't seen what Rex offers on that, but I'm sure it'll be good shit. Got a couple things from them & its been top notch. Yeah, ya gotta keep it protected just in case, but even if it got a hole ripped through it, the valve will still keep it from leakin.... I had already melted the numbers off my Visa, so I had to go the free route, know what I mean?:D

olbiezer
01-11-2006, 02:23 PM
if all else fails u can always use to double garbage bags up under the pan.....pull the puug and hang on....... :crossx: :220v:

olbiezer
01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
if all else fails u can always use to double garbage bags up under the pan.....pull the plug and hang on....... :crossx: :220v:

Moneypitt
01-11-2006, 04:40 PM
The ball valve after an elbow works really well, EXCEPT, the additional weight of the valve suspended from the drain plug nut in the pan can/will bust it loose, and/or crack the pan in that area. Been there, done that..........MP

Cas
01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Putting the valve on the pan was another way to prevent the oil leaks from the hose. I never want another mess like I had a couple of years ago! :rollside:

Rexone
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
The ball valve after an elbow works really well, EXCEPT, the additional weight of the valve suspended from the drain plug nut in the pan can/will bust it loose, and/or crack the pan in that area. Been there, done that..........MP
We had some surplus "aluminum" -8 ball valves for awhile that worked really well because they were light weight and didn't break the fittings off. Haven't seen any for awhile now though. They were cheap too, like $15 or something.