PDA

View Full Version : 74 Sleekcraft with Jacuzzi pump questions

74sleek
08-01-2006, 11:38 PM
This looks like THE place on the net for jet boat folk, so I am glad I found this site.
I am buying a used jetboat, in need of a motor and some paint. It's a 1974 Sleekcraft, it has a Jacuzzi (12yj?) pump, and had a 455 olds motor in it, now it does not have a motor.
I am NOT new to boats, as I have a 1978 Baja 16SS that I have had for about 5 years now, and it's okay, but I want bigger, faster, louder, more fun... So I am gonna fix up this jet boat.
I can paint it, but need to know what paint is best for boats. I don't think I can afford to take it somewhere and have new gelcoat sprayed on it, and I used auto paint (PPG) on my 78 Baja and it took five years of being out in the sun for it to need a new paint job, and it only needs it on the top, I can live with that, working on repainting the top of it right now. Gonna keep the jet boat in the shade when it's not in the water.
I don't have a 455 olds, but I have a 454 BB chevy just sitting around that has been machined (.030) and just needs to be put together, has oval port heads, flat top pistons. Need to buy a re-ring kit, camshaft/lifter kit, new intake and carb. Heads have had a valve job. All of it is still wrapped in plastic in a storage shed, straight from the machine shop. Since I already have this I would like to use it on this boat.
However I understand there are some things I have to change, like the motor mounts and exhaust, and whatever connects the motor to the pump. Is there a place I can go to buy this stuff new rather than hunting it down in classified ads? Can the brackets be fabbed by a fab shop? A friend has a fab shop I can use. This boat has thru-hull exhaust BTW. What headers should I use for the thru-hull setup?
What about the Jacuzzi pump? My cousin owns a boat repair shop, and he works on a few jet boats from time to time but he has never worked on a jacuzzi in all the years he has had the shop. Is that a good thing? The previous owner said he replaced some bearings in the pump that cost him like $450. Is that a good thing? How much does an Impeller cost for this pump in case I decide to change it? Are there any common problems or major disasters associated with jacuzzi pumps that I should look for? He said the pump is fine, but he blew up the 455 twice and lost interest in it after the second motor blew, he said he could spin the pump at 6500rpm @ 75mph does that sound right? I thought these pumps were only rated for like 300hp, he had to be like 500-700hp to spin the pump like that at that speed right?
What about the Sleekcraft hull itself... Are they generally good hulls? He said it does not take on ANY water. It looks okay, but I haven't actually seen it in person yet, just pictures, gonna pick it up on Saturday afternoon.
The purpose this boat will serve is not drag racing... I want something I can take to the lake that looks good, sounds good, performs acceptable below 60mph and the wife and kid and I can have fun with, like pull a tube around etc... Maybe even do a little fishing... Can you fish from a jetboat or is that against some unwritten boating law? LOL.
I would like to be able to comfortably cruise at 30-40mph around 3000-4000rpm. Any suggestions on cam and intake/carb choice for this motor to acheive that goal? I have built a 350 in the past, and have lots of friends with drag car motor building experience, one friend has a wicked turbo mustang 302 with like a 106mm turbocharger and runs in the outlaw 10.5 class which requires lots of tech knowledge to succeed in, so I think I can get expert help building this motor. His previous motor was a 598cid 800-900hp NA chevy with a dual stage 900hp N2O setup, it ran 5.40 @ 133mph 1/8th mile in 1 of the cars first runs. So I think he is qualified to help me build a simple motor for my jet boat, but as far as what cam, intake etc, little mods to the heads maybe specific to boating I am sure someone on here can give some pointers.
I know this is a lot of questions, but I do have a lot of them as this is my first jet boat. I have rode in few at the lake, and really liked the way they "get up and go" when you hit the gas. I don't care that much for top speed, cuz I think around 60mph is fast enough on the water for me. That may change, but lets just assume it's not going to change. My friends bass boat runs 70mph and it beats the crap out of me, (rough ride at 70mph) so I am not too thrilled about going that fast on the top end, maybe okay on the glassy surface water.
Thanks for the help, again sorry it's so many questions, just answer what you can I will greatly appreciate it.
Chris
BTW: This may be a little off topic, but last year I made a kick ass video for the Factory Street of Texas Association featuring the above car as an example of what kinds of cars belong in this class. It's a really good video with some killer white zombie background music, please download it, its only 27 MB and well worth it, if you like Mustangs with Monster Chevy big blocks all juiced up on big N2O bottles anyway....
http://www.texastruck.org/misc/06-2005/factory.wmv

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Search for a better pump. Period. Especially if it is a YJ and not a WJ.
You want a Berkeley.
If you are set on buying this boat, I'll put down some responses to your other questions.
Brian
This looks like THE place on the net for jet boat folk, so I am glad I found this site.
I am buying a used jetboat, in need of a motor and some paint. It's a 1974 Sleekcraft, it has a Jacuzzi (12yj?) pump, and had a 455 olds motor in it, now it does not have a motor.
I am NOT new to boats, as I have a 1978 Baja 16SS that I have had for about 5 years now, and it's okay, but I want bigger, faster, louder, more fun... So I am gonna fix up this jet boat.
I can paint it, but need to know what paint is best for boats. I don't think I can afford to take it somewhere and have new gelcoat sprayed on it, and I used auto paint (PPG) on my 78 Baja and it took five years of being out in the sun for it to need a new paint job, and it only needs it on the top, I can live with that, working on repainting the top of it right now. Gonna keep the jet boat in the shade when it's not in the water.
I don't have a 455 olds, but I have a 454 BB chevy just sitting around that has been machined (.030) and just needs to be put together, has oval port heads, flat top pistons. Need to buy a re-ring kit, camshaft/lifter kit, new intake and carb. Heads have had a valve job. All of it is still wrapped in plastic in a storage shed, straight from the machine shop. Since I already have this I would like to use it on this boat.
However I understand there are some things I have to change, like the motor mounts and exhaust, and whatever connects the motor to the pump. Is there a place I can go to buy this stuff new rather than hunting it down in classified ads? Can the brackets be fabbed by a fab shop? A friend has a fab shop I can use. This boat has thru-hull exhaust BTW. What headers should I use for the thru-hull setup?
What about the Jacuzzi pump? My cousin owns a boat repair shop, and he works on a few jet boats from time to time but he has never worked on a jacuzzi in all the years he has had the shop. Is that a good thing? The previous owner said he replaced some bearings in the pump that cost him like $450. Is that a good thing? How much does an Impeller cost for this pump in case I decide to change it? Are there any common problems or major disasters associated with jacuzzi pumps that I should look for? He said the pump is fine, but he blew up the 455 twice and lost interest in it after the second motor blew, he said he could spin the pump at 6500rpm @ 75mph does that sound right? I thought these pumps were only rated for like 300hp, he had to be like 500-700hp to spin the pump like that at that speed right?
What about the Sleekcraft hull itself... Are they generally good hulls? He said it does not take on ANY water. It looks okay, but I haven't actually seen it in person yet, just pictures, gonna pick it up on Saturday afternoon.
The purpose this boat will serve is not drag racing... I want something I can take to the lake that looks good, sounds good, performs acceptable below 60mph and the wife and kid and I can have fun with, like pull a tube around etc... Maybe even do a little fishing... Can you fish from a jetboat or is that against some unwritten boating law? LOL.
I would like to be able to comfortably cruise at 30-40mph around 3000-4000rpm. Any suggestions on cam and intake/carb choice for this motor to acheive that goal? I have built a 350 in the past, and have lots of friends with drag car motor building experience, one friend has a wicked turbo mustang 302 with like a 106mm turbocharger and runs in the outlaw 10.5 class which requires lots of tech knowledge to succeed in, so I think I can get expert help building this motor. His previous motor was a 598cid 800-900hp NA chevy with a dual stage 900hp N2O setup, it ran 5.40 @ 133mph 1/8th mile in 1 of the cars first runs. So I think he is qualified to help me build a simple motor for my jet boat, but as far as what cam, intake etc, little mods to the heads maybe specific to boating I am sure someone on here can give some pointers.
I know this is a lot of questions, but I do have a lot of them as this is my first jet boat. I have rode in few at the lake, and really liked the way they "get up and go" when you hit the gas. I don't care that much for top speed, cuz I think around 60mph is fast enough on the water for me. That may change, but lets just assume it's not going to change. My friends bass boat runs 70mph and it beats the crap out of me, (rough ride at 70mph) so I am not too thrilled about going that fast on the top end, maybe okay on the glassy surface water.
Thanks for the help, again sorry it's so many questions, just answer what you can I will greatly appreciate it.
Chris
BTW: This may be a little off topic, but last year I made a kick ass video for the Factory Street of Texas Association featuring the above car as an example of what kinds of cars belong in this class. It's a really good video with some killer white zombie background music, please download it, its only 27 MB and well worth it, if you like Mustangs with Monster Chevy big blocks all juiced up on big N2O bottles anyway....
http://www.texastruck.org/misc/06-2005/factory.wmv

El Prosecutor
08-02-2006, 07:08 AM
I think the above post is good advice. There are some decent Jacuzzi runners out there, and I have never owned one, but from all I have read and heard I wouldn't put time and money into it, especially since you are going to have to buy/change out all the motor hardware too. It just aint worth it.

74sleek
08-02-2006, 07:28 AM
I am pretty set on buying this boat, the price is right. I would like some explanation as to why the jacuzzi pump isn't a good choice.
The way I see it, if this boat has been around since 1974 and still has the original jacuzzi pump, then either it's a bear to change it, or they didn't have many problems with the jacuzzi.
Is this (Jacuzzi vs. Berkely) one of those things like BB vs SB, or Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar? Where everyone says (Chevy Sucks! then Ford Sucks!) without ever posting some facts to back it up. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. If it is I hope everyone can keep their non-fact based opinions to themselves, and just post some facts please. Very interested in why a Jacuzzi pump is not a good choice for an average boat (non drag boat). I see North American Marine jet bought the jacuzzi line back in the 80's and they are still around. If they are that bad, then why?
I am not intending to start a flame war about jacuzzi vs. berkeley by any means. This boat is in my price range for a project boat, and I don't have to drive that far to get it. And remember I have a fab shop on hand that can probably make some brackets for this motor etc without any problems and will probably only cost me in materials. If they are what I think they are, which is just plain old peices of plate mostly straight with a few holes for mounting the motor (like a motor plate in a drag car). Doesn't take a rocket scientist to make those right?
Now headers etc are a different story, but surely it can't cost thousands of dollars to change the thru-hull exhaust from olds to chevy right?
Don't take this the wrong way, I am not here to argue with everything someone says that is bad about this boat, but I would like some facts to back it up please....
Thanks,
Chris

kraig
08-02-2006, 07:45 AM
There is nuthin wrong with that pump. It is true that a WJ is a better pump than the YJ, however you can upgrade the YJ for about 1,400.00...but for what you are looking for I would say if it is a WJ then you should be good to go. With that being said, the Jaccuzi pumps are a little more to rebiuld, repair and to do any mods, why? Because they are not as popular as the rest of them, why? I don't know. They used them in late 60's and thru the 80's in drag boats all the time.

74sleek
08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
What is the difference from a yj to a wj? I know there are some people on here with jacuzzi pumps, and I wish they would chime in. I am trying to find a local jet boat / pump shop, and I think I found one, need to give them a call.

fujimo
08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
I don't post alot but follow the forums. I think the jaccuzi pump will work fine for what you're looking for. For you're motormount's just do a search for rail kits since you have access to shop. roy

Hustler
08-02-2006, 08:10 AM
For what you want to do the yj will work fine, just dont expect neck snapping hole shots from it. As far as the motor goes keep mild and you will have a very turn key/reliable boat for the family. Look into the Isky jet cam for the BBC I ran this cam with a Edelbrock air gap manifold and a 750dp in my last motor and really liked it. If you do get around to doing a "energizer kit" on the yj you will a huge diff. in your hole shot and cruising. Good Luck with the project and remeber to post pic's of the progress.

DelawareDave
08-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Seems that boat/engine/pump combo was quite popular. The mounts for a Chevy are available. The driveline can be reused, just need the pto adapter for the Chevy. The pump should be fine for what he describes as to primary use.

74sleek
08-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Okay, called local pump shop, the guy has been working on pumps for 30 years.
He told me what to look for in the pump:
Take the cover off, check for 3 thousands clearance impeller to wear ring, check for shims, check for taper on the shaft, from previous work, check impeller vanes, should be like a butter knife, and all the same height, grab shaft, check for up and down play, if any not good, turn shaft (since motor is out of boat) listen for noise, if you hear noise, could be grain of sand from the 3 thousandths clearence, good, pull shaft, no front to back play good.
Does that all sound about right?
He says the reason people change this pump is simply because it's expensive to fix, and there are performance gains with different pumps, and there is nothing to support the vanes or something I didn't quite grasp that, he mention of there was a problem the pump would load to one side and need bushings etc...., and the wear ring not being stainless or plastic or whatever could cause quick wear. He ran through a lot of information, and he was older gentleman with a cajun accent, who seemed hard at hearing (probably from sitting in front of screaming Big Blocks most of his life in jet boats...) so I may have mis-heard some of the things he said, good thing he is local so I can just take it to him in person if need be.
He said to covert to a different pump, $2000 including the pump and labor. He said it's an adapter so I am assuming that means no cutting of the hull necessary. He said 7-12mph gain from changing pumps.
The previous owner of the boat, replaced bearings, and shimmed the impeller to 3 thousands of an inch exactly so it should be good to go. He is very confident in it being ready to use. He said he had thought about an American Turbine kit to go variable pressure, but never did it. Would that be something worth looking into if I am not happy with the performance?
Thanks for the help guys, sorry I am so "green" when it comes to jet boats, but I got to start somewhere.
Chris

74sleek
08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
This is from North American Marine Jet, how much of this is true/false?
Jacuzzi Jet Most Frequently Ask Questions
Jacuzzi 12YJ
Are parts available for my Jacuzzi 12YJ?
Yes all parts are available and most in stock.
My engine rpm has gone up and speed has gone down what is wrong?
#1 thing to check is the impeller clearance, excess clearance will allow the engine rpm to rise and the speed decrease due to too much clearance between the impeller and wear ring. Solution = shim impeller
#2 item is there is debris in the jet causing cavitation. Solution is remove debris
How do I shim my impeller on the Jacuzzi 12YJ?
You shim the 12YJ impeller at the bearing housing, no need to remove impeller from jet drive. You will need to shim the impeller if you have more than .010" of clearance. Complete details are available in our Service manual for $25.00.
Do I need the rudder on my Jacuzzi 12YJ?
Yes the rudder helps contorl the boat in slow and high-speed maneuvers. Note the rudder for the 12YJ is design to break if the rudder is grounded. This is to prevent the breakage of more expensive parts. Rudders are in stock for $52.00.
I have excessive Jet noise, what is the cause?
#1 damaged thrust-bearing replace ASAP, #2 improper impeller to wear plate clearance. #3 cavitation cause by debris in the pump.
Should a 12YJ have some cavitation?
No, a 12YJ that is in good working condition should have not noticeable cavitation. Cavitation is normal for other jets on the market, but if your 12YJ has acceleration cavitation or high-speed cavitation there is something wrong with the jet drive.
What is the top speed of a 12YJ?
The average top speed of a 12YJ is 50 to 55 mph, can reach speeds of 60 mph. The 12YJ has a 40% bigger nozzle than other jets, this allows for more thrust in the 0 to 35 mph range that other jets.
What is the max horsepower for the 12YJ?
The 12YJ impeller design allows the jet to use less horsepower to get heavier boats on plane. Around 350 hp is the max hp that a 12YJ can use. A 12YJ can get a 18 ft ski boat on plane and pull up skiers with a 140 hp 4 cylinder gas engine. Note 12YJ is not a race pump, but a family ski boat jet drive.

TJS
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
As far as a fab shop for making brackets and such, it will be cheaper to buy them. As said before, they are easy to find. I have machines and such and could have made my own, but the time I did not have. My Nordic hull was set up for a Ford. I switched to a BBC. I got my bracket and plates used cheap, all they needed was buffing. You are also going to need a PTO plate, but you probably can use the existing H-Bar. I made an Excel spread sheet on every nut bolt and part that I spend on my Nordic refurb and you will be surprised how much money you spend to get it ready. I am not even ready yet and have lots of money tied up in this thing.
T.J.
you can see part of my project here. www.tjsperformance.com

esabataj
08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey 74 Sleek
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.
I know the boat you are looking at and even owned it prior to James. The hull is solid and James did the pump work you discussed. This boat was an honest 60 mph boat with a mild 455 olds in it. Ran well and pulled mutiple skiers and tubes all day long. The yj was a good pump for what we used the boat for. I liked it enough that I've got a 75 Sleek with a warmed over 455 and YJ that we use now for an all around lake boat and a Youngblood TX-19 (521 Ford and a berk JG) when I want to go fast. They are just two very different animals, The sleekcraft is a great all around lake boat. From the description of what you want it for it'll do just fine.
Hope this answers some of your questions.
If you would like any other info PM me and I'll send ya my #
Richard

74sleek
08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the input, I think that you are right, and this boat will be just fine for what I want it for. If I want a drag boat later on (and can afford one) I will probably want something other than this boat, but I wouldn't sell it I don't think, because a good all around boat for having fun, tubing fishing skiing etc, like my little old Baja (yes baja made little boats too) is a great thing to have. If I was a true hardcore racer of course I'd go with something new and badass, but just for playing around, this will be fine.
I just hope I can get the motor changed over fairly easily, I don't want an Olds in there, I know nothing about them. I can deal with the chevy, the olds looks to be way too expensive to even consider since I don't already have a 455 olds to start with. The bracketry and all that might be kinda expensive, but I'd rather stick with a Chevy motor because it's what I know, and already have.
Going to meet James on Saturday to pick it up, I think it's a good deal, and both boat shops I have spoken with think it's a good deal too.

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 12:15 PM
FYI,
I own an Anthony jet, with a Jacuzzi WJ pump, and a 440 Dodge I put in.
I wasn't making assumptions or basing my post on heresay. I was trying to help a brother out.
I spent considerable amounts of time and money tricking the Jacuzzi to think it is a Berkeley.
In my next life, I would have left the "too good a deal to pass up" right where it was. Dead in someone ELSE'S backyard.
Im not nixing the boat idea, I am just saying research the pump much better before you pick it up.
Otherwise, let me know, I would be happy to sell you parts to turn your
Jacuzzi into a Berkuzzi.
Brian
Thanks for the input, I think that you are right, and this boat will be just fine for what I want it for. If I want a drag boat later on (and can afford one) I will probably want something other than this boat, but I wouldn't sell it I don't think, because a good all around boat for having fun, tubing fishing skiing etc, like my little old Baja (yes baja made little boats too) is a great thing to have. If I was a true hardcore racer of course I'd go with something new and badass, but just for playing around, this will be fine.
I just hope I can get the motor changed over fairly easily, I don't want an Olds in there, I know nothing about them. I can deal with the chevy, the olds looks to be way too expensive to even consider since I don't already have a 455 olds to start with. The bracketry and all that might be kinda expensive, but I'd rather stick with a Chevy motor because it's what I know, and already have.
Going to meet James on Saturday to pick it up, I think it's a good deal, and both boat shops I have spoken with think it's a good deal too.

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63cutbowl.jpg

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63droopad.jpg

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63headertubes.JPG

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63pumpshot.JPG

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63droop.jpg
One of these aren't bolting to a Jacuzzi.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 12:31 PM
You pretty much asked for people's opinions bud.
Is this (Jacuzzi vs. Berkely) one of those things like BB vs SB, or Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar? Where everyone says (Chevy Sucks! then Ford Sucks!) without ever posting some facts to back it up. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. If it is I hope everyone can keep their non-fact based opinions to themselves, and just post some facts please. Very interested in why a Jacuzzi pump is not a good choice for an average boat (non drag boat). I see North American Marine jet bought the jacuzzi line back in the 80's and they are still around. If they are that bad, then why?
Thanks,
Chris

Ralph Brunt
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
I have a yj that i just had cyclone speed and marine put an energizer kit in and it made a big difference on the hole shot not much on the top end though all in all i am verry happy with it does low 60s at 5500 rpm cruises 3500 rpm all day long. just got a diverter and the hole shot is much better now 19' hawaiian mini day cruiser verry heavy boat. i say go for it man and good luck ralph

74sleek
08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
You pretty much asked for people's opinions bud.
Sorry, I just don't like it when people just say something sucks without giving a reason to back that up, that's all. Thanks for you help. Are those pictures of a Jacuzzi that you have modified? Not sure what I am looking at.

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I just don't like it when people just say something sucks without giving a reason to back that up, that's all. Thanks for you help. Are those pictures of a Jacuzzi that you have modified? Not sure what I am looking at.
Chris,
You didn't ask for facts, you ask general questions about a pump.
I never said the pump sucks. You did. Other than you, I don't think anyone even mentioned the word.
There are many other BETTER pumps out there. NOONE will dispute that FACT.
Again, I own THE bastard boat/pump combo.
I said if you weren't set on the boat to look for something else. In the long run you will be better off.
I was trying to help you out.
Now I wish I hadn't said a thing.
Brian

OhOneWS6
08-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey Chris, What part of TX are you in? I'm in Dallas. I'm working on a 74 Sleekcraft rebel myself. Here is the thread on my boat. There are links to a couple of pics in the thread somewhere.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105982

Old Guy
08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
You might want to spend some time searching for information instead of asking for opinions. For example, a search might reveal that a Jacuzzi YJ pump is an axial flow pump. A Jacuzzi WJ pump is a mixed flow pump. Further searching could reveal the difference.
I'm sure you know the difference between an engine built for a car and an engine built for a marine application.
old

Devilman
08-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Chris,
You didn't ask for facts, you ask general questions about a pump.
I never said the pump sucks. You did. Other than you, I don't think anyone even mentioned the word.
There are many other BETTER pumps out there. I own THE bastard boat/pump combo.
I said if you weren't set on the boat to look for something else. In the long run you will be better off.
I was trying to help you out.
Now I wish I hadn't said a thing.
Brian
Wsuwrhr, I gotta say, I'm glad you did answer, as much as you feel like you were slighted. There is a wealth of information to be found on these boards, but sadly, when somebody new asks a question, too often the response is "Do a search"..... New members don't seem to have much of a chance around here, people that may have found the site by chance while searching for information. I know when I first signed on, it took an act of congress to get any kind of answer to whatever question I may have been asking.
I know what happens.. Somebody finds the site, registers, so they can ask a question. Then, they check back every so often, hoping to see an answer, hoping that maybe somebody around here can help them out. But instead, they find 57 views & no answer to the question except for the obiligatory "do a search" type of deal. Rookies may or may not know exactly what the hell that means... Same kind of crap happened to me when I first signed on, I guess it'll keep going on. I figure if somebody has the time to type, "Do a search... :rolleyes: " then they could at least type an answer. If it's something they know nothing about, then why type anything at all?
Sorry for the long post & I realize this may possibly limit the amount of future information I get from the boards, but goddam, give these new guys a break every now & then.... :cool:

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 06:35 PM
An AMC 401 would power a jetboat just fine, just like an OLDS 455 would.
Are either a good choice?
Doubtful.
There are much better choices of powerplants out there.
There are much better choices for pumps as well.
Take it with a grain of salt from someone who learned the hard way.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
I always try and help wherever I can.
I got my feathers ruffled up a bit when he started the tirade of "dont post opinions, post facts" "dont say the pump sucks"
I never said either.
I felt I was pretty qualified to give the guy some advise since I BOUGHT the bastard pump in question and I learned the hard way that I should have looked for a Berkeley pump project.
My first post should have been the last, or I should have just left it alone.
Now I am "on the tire" as Billy B would call it.
Brian
Wsuwrhr, I gotta say, I'm glad you did answer, as much as you feel like you were slighted. There is a wealth of information to be found on these boards, but sadly, when somebody new asks a question, too often the response is "Do a search"..... New members don't seem to have much of a chance around here, people that may have found the site by chance while searching for information. I know when I first signed on, it took an act of congress to get any kind of answer to whatever question I may have been asking.
I know what happens.. Somebody finds the site, registers, so they can ask a question. Then, they check back every so often, hoping to see an answer, hoping that maybe somebody around here can help them out. But instead, they find 57 views & no answer to the question except for the obiligatory "do a search" type of deal. Rookies may or may not know exactly what the hell that means... Same kind of crap happened to me when I first signed on, I guess it'll keep going on. I figure if somebody has the time to type, "Do a search... :rolleyes: " then they could at least type an answer. If it's something they know nothing about, then why type anything at all?
Sorry for the long post & I realize this may possibly limit the amount of future information I get from the boards, but goddam, give these new guys a break every now & then.... :cool:

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Sorry bud,
I guess I should have backed up my statements with facts, but I just wanted to throw some information out there and see what the guy said. Like I said,
"If you are set on this boat, I will answer more of your questions."
Sheesh, you try and be nice to the new guy(74sleek), and he stomps all over you because you didn't say what he wanted to hear.
When I first looked at the post there were 20 or 30 views and no responses, so I thought I would throw something in there.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 06:46 PM
BTW,
I noticed your boat(Tahiti?) has a Berk pump.
nice
Brian
but goddam, give these new guys a break every now & then.... :cool:

Devilman
08-02-2006, 06:53 PM
BTW,
I noticed your boat(Tahiti?) has a Berk pump.
nice
Brian
Nah man. I got a stepchild boat. It's a CeeBee Avenger, but yeah it has Berk JC.:D Mine is not one of the masses by any means.
I hope I didn't come across as a dick, although it's entirely possible that I did. Didn't mean any disrespect. Just seems like there are always gonna be newbies come around asking the same tired old questions. I mean, I've seen it happen more than once. If it's something I may be able to add to, I'll speak up, if not, then I just keep to myself... It can be frustrating at times.... :) Didn't mean to be long-winded. :cool:
And thank you for the compliment

kraig
08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Man you guys are CUT THROAT!! :mad: I replied early this morning and said it was good for what he wanted to do. I think that was all he was asking on that. He did go on to ask why people do not use them as much. Thought it was explained as well. I got a SBC with a WJ in a 16 Taylor and it is a hoot for what I do, from what I read, he will be doin' the same thing. Lighten up guys, we are all here for each other-------I hope :) BTW I'm fairly green on these jets as well. But I do know JetHydro and another jet guy Mike Stucky, they are both from the same area. It does help alot when you have peeps with some knowledge on these. Go for it 74sleek!!!

74sleek
08-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I am sorry if I ruffled feathers, I am not a newbie to message boards, i have been running two of them since 2002. I did do a search, and I didn't find the information I was looking for. I don't know the difference between axial flow and mixed flow.... I just searched for jacuzzi and not much relevant information came up.
There needs to be like a faq for this forum with pre-fabbed answers about the different pumps if many people are asking the questions, but I didn't find any of those posts when I searched.
I am very thankful for facts and opinions, I thought my questions were specific enough, I asked were there any major disasters with jacuzzi pumps etc, noone answered that in the first 2 responses. I just began to feel like everyone assumed I was looking for the best performance and that is why I was wanting to buy a jet boat... It's not the only reason. Price vs. Performance vs. Fun Factor I think it's hard to beat a jet boat... even one with a non-popular expensive to repair less performance oriented pump...
I have learned a lot today. Thanks for the help, sorry for the attitude, and sorry I was being a newbie, but you gotta start somewhere.... Can you really blame me?

OhOneWS6
08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
I was kinda stunned at the way this thread turned. The jetboat forums are few and far between from what i can tell. I got decent help in the gearheds section of this board. It was a little slow compaired to the F-body car boards I visit but the members here were very helpfull.
Hopefully you take the time to read the whole thread and at least respond to my post. I am not a newbie to forums but I am a newbie to jetboats, and like you I plan on sticking with the jacuzzi pump in my boat. Unlike you I plan on sticking with my pain in the ass enigma of a motor though.
Good luck on your project.
Matt

74sleek
08-02-2006, 08:25 PM
I made my way over there and responded just a minute ago. And I know what you mean about the car boards, I run the texastruck.org site, which was good for a while till gas got so damned expensive now we never do anything as a group anymore, not even get any posts hardly. Myspace has taken over! Everyone is there now. I recently put up a new board and it's not getting much activity. Everyone is too busy and too broke. But if I need technical help the fullsize chevy forums are A+!
I feel lucky to have stumbled across this board, I had a fear that I wouldn't find anyone to help me gain knowledge about jet boats while doing this project. I don't feel that fear anymore. Lots of great info here, just takes a while weeding through the search results.
I read through your post earlier today, before you even responded to mine, it came up when I did the search for jacuzzi.... LOL.
Keep in touch, gonna go get the boat Saturday, going to clean it up and start looking for parts Sunday. Hope to have it with 454 and in the water by spring 07.

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 08:40 PM
I got a stepchild boat.
I hope I didn't come across as a dick, although it's entirely possible that I did. Didn't mean any disrespect. Just seems like there are always gonna be newbies come around asking the same tired old questions. I mean, I've seen it happen more than once. If it's something I may be able to add to, I'll speak up, if not, then I just keep to myself... It can be frustrating at times.... :) Didn't mean to be long-winded. :cool:
And thank you for the compliment
#1 I know the feeling.
#2 No sir
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't know the difference between axial flow and mixed flow....
I will go out on a limb and attempt to answer what I THINK is the difference between Axial and mixed flow.
I hope the pump gurus chime in for the real answer.
Mixed flow (WJ)is probably high and low pressure.
Axial (YJ) is low pressure.
The WJ is a mixed flow pump.
The Yj is an axial flow pump.
The big difference is the impeller. When you see what a WJ impeller looks like and what a YJ impeller looks like, you will recognize the difference. I think the company you mentioned earlier has exploded veiws of both pumps.
Brian

ferrous
08-03-2006, 04:30 AM
Devilman - You are correct Sir! - This board is not always friendly to the newby, but people should remember when they where new. The smartest person asks questions!
Just my .02

74sleek
08-03-2006, 04:34 AM
So if later on I decided to change up the pump, should I:
a. convert it to a WJ?
b. Do that energizer kit thing? Where can I find some info on that? Who makes it?
c. Completely change to a berkely style pump?
Also, what about the paint. What paints are you guys using on your boats? This one need paint.
Thanks again for all the info, it's greatly appreciated.

74sleek
08-03-2006, 05:01 AM
BTW: for paint, If you are looking for inexpensive, I haven't ever found anything less expensive than here:
http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/AutomotiveFinishes/AutomotiveFinishes.html
The Kirker Automotive finishes Ultra-Glo Acrylic Urethane is what I am looking at using, it's VERY reasonably priced, AND I found some posts on various hot rod car message boards a while back and they loved the stuff. So I figured as cheap as it is I'll give it a try, no big deal. Last I checked PPG was 3 times the price of this stuff or more. Been years since I checked. Maybe 10 times more now.

Devilman
08-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Devilman - You are correct Sir! - This board is not always friendly to the newby, but people should remember when they where new. The smartest person asks questions!
Just my .02
Yep, I agree. Lotsa good info here. I still consider myself new too.:D

Old Guy
08-03-2006, 05:20 AM
OK, a little more on pumps. An axial flow pump is like a propeller turning inside a pipe. As you apply increasing hp, it tends to cavitate. A mixed flow pump looks similar (the propeller part), however it has attached to the outer edge of the propeller a shape sort of like a pipe. This allows more hp to be applied without the cavitation problem. Both designs require proper clearances for effecient operation.
My boat had a YJ pump when I got it. I converted it to a Berkley style pump. I kept the Jacuzzi intake, however I did remove it and machine it for a shoe and ride plate.
An Olds motor is fine up to about 500 hp. If you want more hp, I would go BBC, because I believe there is more of everything you need available for less $$ than the others. You MUST have proper clearances in whatever engine you use. A car engine in a boat rarely lives very long.
Good Luck
old

wsuwrhr
08-03-2006, 05:50 AM
If it indeed has a YJ, then the energizer will be almost necessary. For all the reasons Old Guy layed out. A few companies make mixed flow conversions for the YJ, which is what the "energizer" is. American Turbine, Aggressor....
ORRRRRRRR.......Later on, and if you have time, patience, skill, and money, the only logical idea is to change it to a Berkeley.
Brian
So if later on I decided to change up the pump, should I:
a. convert it to a WJ?
b. Do that energizer kit thing? Where can I find some info on that? Who makes it?
c. Completely change to a berkely style pump?

wsuwrhr
08-03-2006, 05:52 AM
My boat had a YJ pump when I got it. I converted it to a Berkley style pump. I kept the Jacuzzi intake, however I did remove it and machine it for a shoe and ride plate.
Good Luck
old
So you put a Berk pump on your YJ intake?
Did the intakes match up?
Brian

kraig
08-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Do you know for sure you have a YJ? Look for a tag a bottom of the pump, at the center OUTSIDE of the boat, it will tell you. If it is and you do not like performance and want to keep the Jacuzzi pump you can upgrade it with the A/T Energizer Kit. Rex Marine sells the kit, or you can change out the pump with a new one already installed on it and you can get those from Duane at Hi-Tech. Hopes this helps you.

Old Guy
08-03-2006, 06:34 AM
So you put a Berk pump on your YJ intake?
Did the intakes match up?
Brian
I converted it to a Berkley style pump.
I used a "conversion" kit from Aggressor. It fit the Jacuzzi intake perfectly
old

wsuwrhr
08-03-2006, 06:35 AM
I used a "conversion" kit from Aggressor. It fit the Jacuzzi intake perfectly
old
I see....Berk "style"
I was thinking you put a Berk directly on top of the jacuzzi intake.
Brian

74sleek
08-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Old Guy, do you have the part # from agressor for that kit? I would like to take a look at it in case I need it. Are you happy with it? Was the machining of the intake required or just something you wanted to do to help it out?
Thanks!

Old Guy
08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Old Guy, do you have the part # from agressor for that kit? I would like to take a look at it in case I need it. Are you happy with it? Was the machining of the intake required or just something you wanted to do to help it out?
Thanks!
I was told that the Jacuzzi intake was no good. Nobody would tell me why. It's a lot of work to change the intake. I'm old and stubborn. I don't mind folks telling me what to do.....so long as they tell me why.....and it makes sense to me. It's generally accepted that for best performance, a jet boat requires a shoe and ride plate. I have a machine shop so it was no big deal to rework the intake for a shoe and ride plate.
I don't have the kit info anymore, it's been a while. Call HTP and ask about a Jacuzzi conversion kit. They will be happy to help you out.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/
There have been a few other (not boat) priorities that have slowed my boat progress. I'm still working on the set-up so I can't say yet how well the Jacuzzi intake works.
old

74sleek
08-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Got the boat today, starting to think about what I should do with the motor situation.
I need, either thru-transom exhaust parts for a 454, or some over the transom headers for a 454. I kinda wanted to keep the thru-transom exhaust, but I don't know where to find the parts. I have all of the Olds 455 exhaust and motor mount parts, all Hardin Marine, I don't know what they are called for sure, but I think it's the "logs" (manifolds), won't fit a BBC for sure right? But the other parts, the kind of round parts that go behind the "logs" are they called "snails" (they look like snail shells in a weird kinda way) could probably be re-used if I had the rest of the exhaust for BBC. I hate not knowing what this stuff is called.... So please don't laugh at me too much, I am new to the jet-boat lingo.
So where could I find the exhaust part I need to keep the thru-transom exhaust?
As far as the motor mounting goes... My friend's fab shop could easily fab me the rails, and motor plate (front) for the BBC no question, easy task with a drill press and plasma cutter. But the flywheel housing/bell housing whatever the BACK plate that kind of covers the flywheel, that's another story. He could make me one, but I believe if I just knew where to look I can find one of those for a reasonable price, less than it would cost him to make that part. So where can I find one?
The other thing is the adapter that goes from the BBC flexplate to the double (or constant) velocity joint on the front of the pump. I have the Olds part, but I don't think it will fit BBC. So what is that thing called and where could I find one? Those things have to be everywhere....
I tried searching, but since I don't know what they are called I can't seem to find the right posts....
Someone help! I need a Jet-Boat for Dummies book or a Jet Boat Glossary or something. I know what all this stuff does, just don't know what they call it.... LOL
Also, if someone could just send me a picture (or post it here) of their engine compartment where I can see the mounting brackets/rails/plates and thru-transom exhaust on a BBC and how it is all rigged up I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know how to hook the water up to the engine's water pump, or the exhaust so I need some help with that too...
Sorry for being such a newbie, but I got to learn how to do this so I can get to work on my boat.
Chris

OhOneWS6
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Below is a general diagram of how the water hoses should be routed. The water pump will be eliminated and you get your water supply from the jet pump. You will need to buy or fab some plates to connect the hoses to the inlets on the block where the water pump once was. It seems that most around here recommend putting a gate valve in the main water line so you can adjust the water flow if the pressure is too high or the motor runs too cool.
Do you want to buy new or used parts for the bell housing and front mount plate? I also included a link to Glenwood marine. Look thorough their online catalog. They should have all the mounting plates new and in stock. I would think you could find used ones for a BBC though.
I'm sure others will post more info. I am a newbie to this as well. Hopefully other forum members will correct any misinformation I'm giving out.
As for the CV shaft, The Old's one may very well work. You will just need the adapter that bolts on with the flywheel. If you do use the existing CV I would definitely have it rebuilt. Any local drive shaft shop should be able to do it.
Got any pics of the boat yet??????
http://www.glenwoodmarine.net/
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15994

springerpete
08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Ok the dude with the Jacuzzi was right about everything he said. With that being said the Jacuzzi pump is a high volume and low pressure pump. The impeller looks like a propeller inside of a tube. The other pumps Berkeley, Dominator, American Turbine, and Aggressor are all high pressure pumps with an enclosed impeller that runs in a wear ring. The nozzles on the Jacuzzis are larger and therefore have less output pressure.
A friend of mine bought a 18 ft Executivecraft with a Jacuzzi pump and then tried to throw money at it to outrun my 21 Condor openbow with a Dominator. He bought an Energizer Kit, new 450hp motor, and Droop Snoot and diverter. He never got it done.
If you are truly going to just have fun with the boat and cruise it then by all means buy the boat. Build a mild motor and buy the cheap exhaust logs to run through the transom. That way you can build a motor cover and enjoy the boat.
These old boats are like floating hot rods; some are fast and some are just pretty.
Hope this helps. :)

springerpete
08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Buy the Seloc jet pump repair manual it has all kinds of ideas. Keep asking questions and your on the right track.

74sleek
08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
If you are truly going to just have fun with the boat and cruise it then by all means buy the boat. Build a mild motor and buy the cheap exhaust logs to run through the transom. That way you can build a motor cover and enjoy the boat.
These old boats are like floating hot rods; some are fast and some are just pretty.
Hope this helps. :)
Yes it does, and yes that is what I truly want the boat for. It is replacing my crappy old slow as hell 4 cylinder outboard 16 foot Baja that needs a new motor. I'd rather dump money into this old jet boat than that old Baja. I don't care if it's not the fastest thing on the water. It's big, comfortable, when I get done it will look pretty good, and it's loud!.
Question I have for you is, wouldn't it be less expensive to just go with over-the-transom wet headers than to buy all the water log and riser stuff to make the exhaust go through the transom? I can glass up the holes in the transom so you would never know the boat had through-transom exhaust. I would actually prefer to use the through transom, but from looking at the prices on the stuff it looks like it will be considerably less expensive to just go with wet over the transom headers. Am I wrong? Maybe I have been looking at the wrong online stores for the parts I need? Find a cheapy through the transom setup for BBC and post the link here.
Also, the PTO adapter for the Olds, will it work with the BBC flywheel? And the CV looks pretty new, no slack, been greased everytime the boat was taken out, I am stilll cleaning up the grease that is slung everywhere.
Do I need a motor adapter and a tube to cover the CV or can I leave it exposed?
Thanks for the help, again, sorry I am so new to this jet boat stuff, I am learning everyday.

74sleek
08-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Do you want to buy new or used parts for the bell housing and front mount plate? I also included a link to Glenwood marine. Look thorough their online catalog. They should have all the mounting plates new and in stock. I would think you could find used ones for a BBC though.
As for the CV shaft, The Old's one may very well work. You will just need the adapter that bolts on with the flywheel. If you do use the existing CV I would definitely have it rebuilt. Any local drive shaft shop should be able to do it.
Got any pics of the boat yet??????
http://www.glenwoodmarine.net/
I would prefer used, not building a show boat. Just need to make it work with the BBC rather than the Olds 455. Anybody got a used rail/plate kit they want to sell?
Are the stringers generally always the same height in a jet boat? Just asking because I was wondering about installing the rail kit, if my stringers were taller or shorter than what the kit was designed for wouldn't I have alignment issues? When installing the engine, do you want a little angle on the CV rather than it being straight?
The CV looks fine. I guess as long as it will bolt up to the flywheel adapter for the BBC it will work. I am assuming the Olds Flywheel adapter will not work so I need one of those too.
As far as pics, yes and no. It's ugly. Needs painting really really bad. So I am just gonna wait till I start working on the paint to start posting any pics. Not going to do anything wild with the paint, just a two-tone job, I am not looking for the best boat on the water, I just want something I can take to the lake and have some fun in. It's gonna be way better than my old Baja, Jacuzzi or not.

springerpete
08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
There are two kinds of plates. One, the most common is the PTO and driveline. The second is the flange that is built onto the driveline. If you have the first then all you have to buy is the PTO. If you have the second then you have to buy the PTO and the driveline.
There are BBC logs all over Ebay that are in my opinion cheap. New over the transom headers are cool, but they are very expensive and will not last as long as the logs. The logs are very user friendly, do not get as nearly as hot as the headers. They allow you to crawl into the back of the boat instead of over the side when you are in the middle of the lake.
With the money you saved by buying the logs go and buy a set of Rexmar stainless exhaust tips with the internal flapper. You won't be sorry. I've had mine on my Condor for 10 yrs and never had a problem. Before that I had to change that stupid rubber exhaust flapper 2 times every summer.
Jet boats are great. I was raised in one, learned to ski behind one, and now I have two of them of my own. Remember they are old and therefore are like a car of the same year; lots of wear. Check the stringers and the floor for rot before you strap a BBC into the back of that boat. Also check the transom. Don't worry about the questions they are all not new ones.

74sleek
08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
springerpete: What search phrase should I use on Ebay to find those water logs for BBC? I tried a few things and only came up with Oldsmobile logs, and only 3 items total.
Do the flywheel covers and plates that Glenwood sells work with rail kits or only if you bolt them directly to the stringers like the original Olds 455 was?
The stringers in my boat look and feel very solid, the transom is okay, but kind of bad right around the passenger side through-transom exhaust hole. But the floor around the pump intake is very solid as well. I don't know if I really need to rework the transom around that exhaust hole or not. The fiberglass itself looks pretty thick, like 1/4" or better and very sound, the wood is just rotten around that hole. It's probably been run just like that for years without any problems.
EDIT: apparently searching ebay for "Marine Manifold" works best as opposed to "water logs" etc... Found a bunch of them on ebay cheap, just don't know which ones to buy.

springerpete
08-07-2006, 08:15 PM
If its a Jacuzzi it probably mounts to the pump housing with two large bolts on the bottom. You are more than likely not going to find that particular bellhousing. I would go with a 4 corner rail kit. That is what we put in my friend's boat with a Jacuzzi.
Go to the boats parts and accessories section and then type in bbc. You should get at least 20 thing to come up and there should be some logs on there.
The floor I was talking about is in the front under the seats. Make sure it is solid. Get in there and walk around.
If you decide to go with the Rexmar tips then you will most likely cut out most of the rotten wood, because they are 4 inch tips.

springerpete
08-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Here ya go! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INDMAR-ALUMINUM-BIG-BLOCK-CHEVY-MANIFOLDS-WITH-RISERS_W0QQitemZ260017794917QQihZ016QQcategoryZ312 85QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

74sleek
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM
That's what I need, and your right, considerably cheaper than new over the transom wet headers. I was looking at the Basset's on cpperformance, they were like $700+.
Only problem with that particular auction is the seller (0 feedbacks scary for anything over $50) and I got to get some more money in the bank before I can buy. But I will have the money soon and will keep checking on ebay. I didn't realize Ebay had a whole catagorey for Boat Exhaust, now I know.
Wonder if they have a catagory for Motor mounts and Bellhousings?
The floor is good around the seat area, nice and solid. The previous owner said he glassed in a new peice between the seats (right down the middle) because it was getting bad. I hope he did a good job, as the carpet is glued down and unless I replace the carpet (which he did not long ago) I can't see it myself, but it feels very solid all over the floor and everywhere except that one spot on the transom

74sleek
08-07-2006, 09:00 PM
If I wanted to keep the through-transom exhaust, and build a nice cover for the back of the boat to cover most of the engine area, would this style exhaust work or would it be too tall?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercruiser-Inboard-Jet-Exhaust-Manifold-454-Chev-Marine_W0QQitemZ170015642402QQihZ007QQcategoryZ312 85QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Are these really meant for a Mecruiser factory replacement rather than in an average jetboat?
The INDMAR style in that other auction looked much more like what I need, but I see alot of this Mercruiser style too.

springerpete
08-08-2006, 05:04 AM
They would work, but they don't polish up as nice. :) The only problem that I see with that setup is that your going to need a lot of exhaust hose for that application. With the logs your only using about 3-9 inches of hose per side. Those will require at least 3ft per side and could possibly be hard to control leaks.
I only sent you one of those links, but I think that there were at least 3 sets on there. Go to Parts & Accessories then Boats then Exhaust then bbc. That should get you better results.

springerpete
08-08-2006, 05:21 AM
I just thought of something. Does this boat have the logs, plumbing, and all of the mounts for a 455? If it does I personally think it would be cheaper to fond a 455 than buy all of the parts for a BBC and fit it in there. Parts for a BBC are premium price, because everyone is doing that swap. If you are not intent on going fast the Olds would be a good workhorse. They are good motors. Just don't try to spin one over 5000 very long.

74sleek
08-08-2006, 05:43 AM
Yeah, it has everything for the Olds. All nice Hardin Marine alluminum stuff. But I don't want the Olds motor. Gonna change it to a BBC and be done with it.
I wonder if I could sell the Olds stuff to help offset the price of the BBC parts? I've got everything, including mounting plates/flywheel covers, adapters, exhuast, starter, alternator....
I see some mounting kits that look totally different from what I thought I needed. Like this kit, from hi-techperformance.com (http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/BBC_Rail_Kit.jpg)
It does not have a flywheel cover like the Hardin kit that came with the boat.
Go here: http://www.glenwoodmarine.net/Catalog/MOTOR%20MOUNTS.pdf scroll down to page 4. I have the Oldsmobile stuff, looks exactly the same except says Hardin Marine rather than Glenwood on it. I need the 2 peices above that for Chevy right?
Confused. one kit covers the flywheel up, the other does not, why is that? Am I missing something? Do you still need the flywheel cover with the first kit? (from hi-techperformance).

springerpete
08-08-2006, 06:23 AM
The first kit is from Duane @ Hi-Tech Performance. He only sells top quality stuff. He is a no BS kinda guy. Most of the stuff that he sells is for very high performance applications. That is more than you need. Duane's family boat is a blown tunnel hull. Our style boats are not even on his radar!
The second page (35210 and 35310) is more what you want. It doesn't have to be Glenwood. There are a few companies that still make these parts. Duane can probably get that kind of stuff for you. He may also have it in his used pile along with some logs. When you call him don't take him wrong he's just blunt he's not being rude. Some of his stuff is a little higher, but the info that he gives you with the parts is worth alot. Buy your cables locally at boat shop. They are Teleflex-Morse cables. Take the numbers to the shop and DON'T TELL THEM YOU HAVE A JET BOAT! They always try to look it up by application of which they won't have one.
You could Ebay or sell your old parts on this site. A whole kit with all the matching parts could be worth something to someone.

napabob
08-08-2006, 07:41 AM
All of my questions regarding Jacuzzi jets were answered by:
Jason T. Hill
North American Marine Jet
216 East Sevier St
Benton, AR 72015
Tel: 501-778-4151
Fax: 501-778-6381
Web site: www.marinejet.com
Email: jason@marinejet.com
http://www.marinejet.com/view/39

springerpete
08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
I stand corrected. The WJ is a enclosed impeller. My buddy had a YJ that we put en Energizer kit on.

springerpete
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Check this out! I found this on Duane's website. http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Usedparts.HTM
Hope this helps.

OhOneWS6
08-08-2006, 07:54 PM
You conversion kit is on that page about half way down for $450. Sounds like a deal to me.

El Prosecutor
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
You conversion kit is on that page about half way down for $450. Sounds like a deal to me.
There are a bunch of good deals on that page - wish Duane would kick out with the used diverters and Olds parts. . .

74sleek
08-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks for posting that. I am going to have to wait till end of month to buy anything, but that gives me plenty of time to look.
I already have the driveline, just need the flexplate adapter, and the Engine Mounts. I found same stuff here new for just a little more money:
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/MotorMounts.htm
Now that I know what this stuff is called it's getting much easier to find. Thanks for all the help.

springerpete
08-09-2006, 06:15 AM
You might ask him if he'll separate, because I need the driveline.