PDA

View Full Version : Strut on v hull

RCM
10-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Does the strut on a v bottom hull have a base that conforms to the degree of the bottom or is it inset into the vee; and if it is the latter wouldn`t the prop be too close to the bottom of the boat? RCM

DansBlown73Nordic
10-19-2002, 01:28 PM
I think on my Schiada the pad is flat where the strut mounts.

superdave013
10-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Mine has a v base that conforms to the hull. But if you are starting from scratch get a drop thru strut. It attaches to a base mounted on the inside. That's the style slick set up.

VD CRUISER
10-20-2002, 04:23 AM
My original strut was mounted in a molded in recess, and was bronze. My replacement strut is steel and has a V shaped mounting pad that conforms to the shape of the hull. I used some compound and faired it in to the bottom so it would not upset the water in front of the prop. It seems to work ok, but I would use a drop thru like Superdave mentioned if I had it to do again. I had attempted to make a drop thru out of stainless steel, but it warped so bad when I had it welded that I had to scrap it. Has anyone here used stainless for a strut?

GofastRacer
10-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Drop thru strut, the only way to go!!!... :cool:

DUCKY
10-21-2002, 08:08 PM
My v-hull has a flat center pad and uses a bolt on strut. If building a new one, go drop through!