PDA

View Full Version : A/C Thermostate install help needed.

Rocknpalms
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
I purchased and installed a neat unit so that I can turn on my A/C over the phone so when I arive at the river the house is cold.
All seems to be going well EXCEPT now when the compressor cycles it lets out a big "pushshshshshshshshshsh" like the compressor is decompressing out a valve.
Here is some more important info. The old thermostate used four wires. Red to the Rc and Rh (24v cooling and heat transformer),Yellow to Y and W (Cooling Relay, Heat Relay, looped) a White wire to O (Cool Active Reversing Valve) and Green to G (Fan Relay)
The new thermostate only has Rh (24v heat transformer), Rc (24v cooling transformer), W (Heating Relay), Y (Air conditioning relay) and G (fan relay)
I dont have any place for the O wire (Cool Active Reversing Valve) if I leave the wire disconected the fans turn on but blow at room temp or a little warmer.
So I put it on Y WITH the yellow wire for the Cooling relay. It now cycles correct and blows cold but lets out a big "pushshshshshshshshsh" from the compressor outside. What is going on here and am I going to break anything running like this?

Dezertrider
08-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Sounds like you have a Heat Pump. Did you buy a t-stat for a Heat pump? Do the instructiions tell you how to wire it up for a heat pump?
Basicly the sound you hear is for the reversing valve. If it only makes that sound on start up you are fine. I would call the manufacture and see if they make the same stat for a Heat pump.
What is the manufacturer?

Nord
08-02-2006, 04:21 PM
You can call your a/c????? lol..........
Now they've come up with everything......
~NORD~

Trailer Park Casanova
08-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm too on the rumside to answer, if no one else jumps in,, I'll be back when I sleep it off.

Rocknpalms
08-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Sounds like you have a Heat Pump. Did you buy a t-stat for a Heat pump? Do the instructiions tell you how to wire it up for a heat pump?
Basicly the sound you hear is for the reversing valve. If it only makes that sound on start up you are fine. I would call the manufacture and see if they make the same stat for a Heat pump.
What is the manufacturer?
Manufacturer is Aube out of Canada. I have the TH141A-HC-28.
It does not make that sound on start up just on shut down.
What is a heat pump? I have a heating unit right under the fanblower. It has an Lp/propaine inlet but not hooked up.
The instructions state "The TH141 thermostat is compatible with most heating and air conditioning systems. Multi-level heating and air conditioning systems, Milivolt control heating systems, heat pumps and baseboard heating units are not compatible with this thermostat. Baseboard units can be connected usign a 24v relay.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-02-2006, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Rocknpalms]Manufacturer is Aube out of Canada. I have the TH141A-HC-28.
It does not make that sound on start up just on shut down.
What is a heat pump? . It
QUOTE]
A heat pump is reverse air conditioning.
A "singer" 3 way solinoid operated valve snaps open and reverses flow of the liquid line and vapor line to the A coil, thus bringing heat into the house.
Never seen one that heated worth a damn without some sort of supplemental help from a elect coil or similar.

Rocknpalms
08-02-2006, 05:46 PM
A heat pump is reverse air conditioning.
A "singer" 3 way solinoid operated valve snaps open and reverses flow of the liquid line and vapor line to the A coil, thus bringing heat into the house.
Never seen one that heated worth a damn without some sort of supplemental help from a elect coil or similar.[/QUOTE]
Ok since the gas furnace is not hooked up maybe I have a heat pump. If so, will I ruin the compressor or any part of the system the way I have it wired and it making the decompression noise at SHUT DOWN.
also can the heat pump be taken out easily or kept in the A/C mode and I will then hook up the furnace.

Rocknpalms
08-02-2006, 06:44 PM
OK will this work? I do have a heat pump. The thermostate is not campadable with the heat pump valve. The currant way I have it hooked up the valve operates with the cooling relay. The valve needs to stay shut, but opens because the cooling relay switchs off after cycle. What if I were to wire the valve direct to the 24v power source. Is it bad to stay in the closed position? I know I would need to rewire in the winter for heat.
I have contacted the manufacture and am waiting for a reply to see if they have a phone activated thermostat for cooling and heat pump.

Hal
08-02-2006, 07:34 PM
If they don't have a stat for a HP these people do...
http://www.talkingthermostats.com/telephone.shtml

Dezertrider
08-02-2006, 07:57 PM
If your main concern is cooling leave it alone. It will work fine to cool your house. In the winter you wont have any heat though. You will just have to rewire it in the winter.
I would keep it as is and return this stat and find one that will work for a heat pump

Dezertrider
08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
This is another option many of my commercial customers use. Basicaly its a pager t-stat. you log onto a web site and change your settings and it sends out a code through the existing pager networks. The only problems I have had are if its in a remote area that does not recieve pager signals
http://www.lightstat.com/