PDA

View Full Version : What way do you use for AN?

lfls3
08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
How do you cut and assemble AN lines & fittings?
looking for some easier ideas

Heatseeker
08-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Ry, I wrap the line tightly with black tape (or duct tape) and then use a cut-off wheel. Try to cut the wire portion all the way around before you get through the rubber. It will help to keep the fraying to a minimum.
Your pops uses a big chisel, a big hammer and a block of aluminum to do his.
Assembling them is a bitch. I haven't really found an "easy" way to do it. Get the wires started into the sleeve before trying to spin the sleeve onto the line. If some of the wire folds over going in, you'll never get the sleeve on. Use aluminum wrenches. If you don't, you're guaranteed scratched fittings because screwing the tube into the sleeve can be a bitch too. Use oil on the threads.
Have fun!

bergen
08-02-2006, 05:02 PM
How do you cut and assemble AN lines & fittings?
looking for some easier ideas
i'm not an expert but the low tech way is to tape the ends good and tight with black electrical tape and cut with hack saw, use alot of tape on the ends, this is the low tech way but it worked for me when i was in a jam, gl
bergen

poncho-pwr
08-02-2006, 05:39 PM
One thing I do that makes things easier is to chamfer the the I.D. of the fitting ring a little before trying to slide the hose in. Makes life much eaiser.

FryJet
08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
1........wrap real tight with duct tape.
2........cut with chop saw.
3........take off tape.
4........install outer fitting.
5........spray the inside of the hose with WD40 or ?
6........install fitting and tigten.
7........open beer and oogle at the all the money you just blew.
If you use a hacksaw to cut braided hose you will almost allways have frayed wire and bleeding limbs. A chop saw makes the job really easy and you dont have to fight the hose. Hope that helps.
F.J.

PC Rat
08-02-2006, 05:56 PM
The chop saw method seems to leave a lot of rubber debris inside the hose. I use the chisel, sledge hammer, aluminum block method - it works great - no debris inside the hose and don't have the problem with the splayed metal. The sleeve part goes over much easier because you don't have the splayed end problem. I also squirt the fitting with a little WD40 and that seems to help them go together easier.
I have two sets of AN wrenches and it seems like 80% of the fittings I put together are a size that I don't have a wrench for, so I use a cresent wrench with the jaws wrapped in masking tape.
Brian

bergen
08-02-2006, 06:02 PM
3........take off tape.
If you use a hacksaw to cut braided hose you will almost allways have frayed wire and bleeding limbs. A chop saw makes the job really easy and you dont have to fight the hose. Hope that helps.
F.J.
i have used a hack saw when i was in a bind it worked ok for me, although i do agree use the right tool for the right job. bergen

FryJet
08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Damn it.................I forgot the step where I flush the hose out with break cleaner and air........my bad.
F.J.

superdave013
08-02-2006, 06:08 PM
3........take off tape.
F.J.
don't us WD40. Everytime someone brings back a broken fitting that's what they used. Good ol motor oil works way better. Cam bearing lub works great but I use some plain old greese.
I cut with a big pair of cable cutters. I only tape the last cut so the hose doesn't fry when stored. Cut off wheel is ok and seems to be handy. Use tape before you cut if you go this way. But sure to clean out the inside after you are done. If using cutter style fittings (XRP, Goodrige, Fargola, ect..) be sure to cut the hose nice and square.
Now take apart the fitting and put the socket nut in a vice. Put hose into socket nut. If some strands start to get away poke them back in with small screwdriver that you already have handy.
Next I stab a tappered punch down into the socket nut / hose. Most don't do this but I have found it seats the hose to the outside of the nut and seems to make things easier. Just be carefull not to dink the threads in the socket nut.
Now lube up both the fitting and the inside of the hose with greese or oil.
Start fitting into socket nut and carfully tighten. Hold the hose so it doesn't push out when you are getting started.
Clean hose and install. Don't over tighten the b nut.

PC Rat
08-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Dave,
Do they break the fittings when putting them together or do they break later?
What does cutter style fittings mean?
Brian

JAY4SPEED
08-02-2006, 08:35 PM
I have two sets of AN wrenches and it seems like 80% of the fittings I put together are a size that I don't have a wrench for, so I use a cresent wrench with the jaws wrapped in masking tape.
Brian
I saw this in Summit, maybe its the answer to your problem?
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-900122.jpg
Jay

Cs19
08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I rigged a good portion of my boat with a freaking dremel using those mini cut off wheels... Yes i broke alot of cut of wheels and every time one broke it hit me in the face. LOL.
Now i use a cut off wheel with my makita die grinder or air tool. I use masking tape on the hose, I like motor oil on the hose and hose end barb with a dab of anti sleeze on the threads to prevent galling. A good vise with soft jaws and a nice set of open end wrenches help, AN wrenches never fit..This method works great for me, never had a leaky hose. We just got a chop saw so we will see how that works out when I plumb this next section on my boat tomorrow night after work.
CS

PC Rat
08-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Since I have learned the chisel method, I won't use my chop saw to cut another hose.
Brian

victorfb
08-02-2006, 10:00 PM
ive found that a band saw with a small tooth metal cutting blade works best. again, wrap the area to be cut with tape, ( i use blue masking tape) then roll the hose through the blade so that the cut slightly pushes the braided wires toward the hose center. this seems to help start the fitting install aswell (use motor oil). kind of like an opposite freying affect. make sure to remove the tape though. ive tried the cutters and chisel methods and both seem to pinch the hose a bit making fitting ends a bit more difficult to start. but it does leave a cleaner cut (no shavings). if you use a cut off wheel or band saw, make sure to blow out any contaminants before installing the hose.

Sanger Pete
08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Fastest, cleanest way to cut braided line is with a big cable cutter. Looks like pruning/loping shears, about 24" handles give good leverage, and slices right through without any/very little fraying. Had to go to several hardware stores to find them, and they cost me about $85.

Rexone
08-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Dave,
Do they break the fittings when putting them together or do they break later?
What does cutter style fittings mean?
Brian
A cutter style fitting has a knife edge seal rather than just compression. This knife edge actually cuts into the end of the rubber and separates it into 2 parts, one going to the inside of the cutter, the other going outside, creating a very positive seal. Dave is absolutely right they must be cut square using cutter hose ends. XRP's are cutter style.
We use a cutoff saw with a knife edge steel blade (no tape is required it makes a very smooth cut without wire separation). I've used the same saw and the same blade for about 20 years now. But for the average garage hose cutting job that doesn't have this saw, I prefer the chisel method or the cable cutter method SD uses over the cutoff wheels, hacksaws, etc.
As far as breakage the most common putting them together is galling. Primarlily cause by poor quality threads or poor quality or no lubricant on the threads. We used to use Aeroquip and Earls fittings. Galled alot of them because of the thread quality. Switched to XRP about 25 years ago and can count the fittings galled from them on one hand. The threads and tolerances are far superior to the others IMO. As SD said a good motor oil or grease works best for assembly.
Breakage in use is caused from over tightening onto the adapter fitting (cracks the swivel portion) or corrosion over time particularly aluminum fittings used in salt water applications.

Youngblood
08-03-2006, 06:47 AM
http://www.frontlinegraphics.com/koultools/

garret
08-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Since I have learned the chisel method, I won't use my chop saw to cut another hose.
Brian
I have to agree the chisel method kicks ass quick and clean