PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell Fuel

hasselhoff
08-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Has anyone run Ilmors at Lake Powell on fuel from the Marinas? The guys at Ilmor panic if you mention running anything less than 89 and I believe Powell only has 87. Anyone have any ideas other than Octane boost?

08-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I need 91 but boat there all the time. I use this fuel blending calculator, http://www.ranney.com/~mjr/fuel_blend.html. You need to put in $ values for it to work, then the chart you get lets you know total "tank" octane per quantity of race fuel blended. For a one week trip, I bring 10 gallons of 112 to blend with the 87 at Dangling Rope. I also fill the boat with 91 in Page before we start the trip. I've never had any problems.
I have heard a rumor that Antelope Island Marina sells something higher than 87, but I have not confirmed. Check with Mardonzi on the boards.
----Rob

OnlyMoney
08-02-2006, 03:53 PM
They have 91 on the water $4.13 no problem for you . Oh by the way this is chris not Shelby.

Beer-30
08-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't think it would be an issue at all unless you were SC'd. At that altitude, you will not be making full power anyway. That is usually where all of the octane is needed. You will only be at about 80-85% power at WOT.

Beer-30
08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't think it would be an issue at all unless you were SC'd. At that altitude, you will not be making full power anyway. That is usually where all of the octane is needed. You will only be at about 80-85% power at WOT.
Assuming you have 625HP at sea level, you will have around 544 at 3700' (Powell).
If you have 550, it will be near 479.

08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
They have 91 on the water $4.13 no problem for you . Oh by the way this is chris not Shelby.
Is that just at Antelope?

hasselhoff
08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I was not to worried about the loss in power, thats gonna happen. I was more concerned about the knock sensor. Ilmor guys said the motors will retard correctly on 89 but advised me not to run anything lower.

hasselhoff
08-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Where can you get that on the water?
By the way you look alot like shelby with those pasties in the picture.

BoatFloating
08-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Is that just at Antelope?
Antelope, Halls and Bull Frog have 91. Halls and Bullfrog are a drive if your around dangling rope area but antelope ain't bad from that area..

BoatFloating
08-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Where can you get that on the water?
By the way you look alot like shelby with those pasties in the picture.
If you're stay at lower part of the Lake Antelope Point thru Narrows is the best. If you're up Mile marker 60 or higher then Hall crossing at marker 95 I think...

Beer-30
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I was not to worried about the loss in power, thats gonna happen. I was more concerned about the knock sensor. Ilmor guys said the motors will retard correctly on 89 but advised me not to run anything lower.
what I meant by that is, with the "retarded" power, it will not be near the knock point. The less power the engine is capable of producing, the less it will want to knock. Yours would really only be pinging the knock sensor at or near sea level where it's maximum cylinder pressure would occur. At 4000'+ density altitude, I dont' think you could build enough power to hit the knock sensor with 87.

hasselhoff
08-02-2006, 08:27 PM
what I meant by that is, with the "retarded" power, it will not be near the knock point. The less power the engine is capable of producing, the less it will want to knock. Yours would really only be pinging the knock sensor at or near sea level where it's maximum cylinder pressure would occur. At 4000'+ density altitude, I dont' think you could build enough power to hit the knock sensor with 87.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like 91 is available in a couple spots on the water so hopefully not an issue.