PDA

View Full Version : 50 hour service on 496 HO

Ultracrazy
08-02-2006, 06:15 PM
My boat is in Havasu.......
How much should it cost to service my 496 HO (estimate) and where should I go.
Anybody have the 411 on "Garys RV & Auto" in Havasu? Had my trailer worked on (warranty work through Extreme). They gave me a quote of $225 for a 50 hour service on the 496 HO.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Never heard of any pros or cons about Gary's.
I've had excellent service at Absolute and prior to that Savage. I've also heard good things about Alco and Lakeland.

Ultracrazy
08-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Never heard of any pros or cons about Gary's.
I've had excellent service at Absolute and prior to that Savage. I've also heard good things about Alco and Lakeland.
How much did you pay for the service?

RAZORSHARP
08-02-2006, 06:34 PM
that is a good price. paid over $400.

JB in so cal
08-02-2006, 06:38 PM
If you get a FULL service for $225 in Havasu in the summer-JUMP THE PHUCH ON IT!!! It's not unusual to pay 3 times that amount.
You better check and re-check what they're doing for $225! Are they pulling the drive to check for allignment? etc...
Oh. and watch for the raw water impellor/pump housing; they tend to wear if any sand/grit has gotten in. $500+

RAZORSHARP
08-02-2006, 06:41 PM
shops normally charge $70-100 an hour for labor. 50-hour service is a 4 hour job. So figure roughly $300-400 for labor only not including parts.

Ultracrazy
08-02-2006, 06:49 PM
If you get a FULL service for $225 in Havasu in the summer-JUMP THE PHUCH ON IT!!! It's not unusual to pay 3 times that amount.
You better check and re-check what they're doing for $225! Are they pulling the drive to check for allignment? etc...
Oh. and watch for the raw water impellor/pump housing; they tend to wear if any sand/grit has gotten in. $500+
That is my concern........I thought it was a little low. Not that I was complaining......but I don't mind paying for GOOD service. Quality marine quoted me 500.......which is what I expected. So I was little worried about the low price.

DEMOMAN
08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I have always had my service work done at Campbells where I store the boat. Great rates and I have always had great service as well. My annual service including water impeller was around $450 including drive alignment.

BajaMike
08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Anybody have the 411 on "Garys RV & Auto" in Havasu? Had my trailer worked on (warranty work through Extreme). They gave me a quote of $225 for a 50 hour service on the 496 HO.
Gary's has done work on my old truck, my boat and my trailer, I was very happy with them. Paid about $225 for a 25 hour service. He also picked up my old truck from storage, fixed a tranny and oil leak, and returned it to storage for a very reasonable price.
They also replaced a power steering pump that went out on my truck. The new pump went out again about 500 miles later when I had the truck back in OC. I called them and they had NAPA warranty it at an OC repair shop...cost me $0.
I have always been happy with them....seemed reliable, honest and fast......but there was a thread on here about someone not too happy with Gary's.
Do a search...... :idea:

Beer-30
08-02-2006, 07:34 PM
I paid $325 for seapump rebuild, which included resurfacing the plate. Here locally, though. Not in Havasu.

wedge44
08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Most recommended....Maverick Marine did mine found 2k in warranty missalignment...bad gimble housing etc.....found it within 1 yr merc warranty...eric sees this often...bottom line standard service would not have seen this I would have put boat up for winter....next summer after warranty gone it would have been frozen..........

LHC30Victory
08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
go talk to Chong's rv and marine. straight up guy there..... wont dick around with you about warranty work like a bad hyd steering unit...like someone on industrial willll saying "sure will"? and donwt get it done for months.....

voodoomedman
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Take it Aaron at Absolute. You will be glad you did. Anyway my 30 hour service was around a little under 4 but my 80 hour was closer to 5. The difference was having to do the impeller the second time. They are fairly priced but do work they should charge three times as much. I didn't even ask the second time I just told them to do what needs to be done. At 30 hours though you want the drive alignment checked. I'm sure Mike's guys aligned it correctly but things are definately settled in now at 50 hours. Why you selling the boat anyway????????????????

Ultracrazy
08-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Take it Aaron at Absolute. You will be glad you did. Anyway my 30 hour service was around a little under 4 but my 80 hour was closer to 5. The difference was having to do the impeller the second time. They are fairly priced but do work they should charge three times as much. I didn't even ask the second time I just told them to do what needs to be done. At 30 hours though you want the drive alignment checked. I'm sure Mike's guys aligned it correctly but things are definately settled in now at 50 hours. Why you selling the boat anyway????????????????
Down sizing.........not happy about it. I will be boatless for a while till things shake out.

voodoomedman
08-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Down sizing.........not happy about it. I will be boatless for a while till things shake out.
Ahhhhhhhh I'm sorry to hear that!!!! For reals though. Go see Aaron or Brian at Absolute.

Ultracrazy
08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Ahhhhhhhh I'm sorry to hear that!!!! For reals though. Go see Aaron or Brian at Absolute.
Thanks dude.......I will. Hate to see my 24 go........great boat.
UC

bite me
08-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Took my boat to Garys twice. They screwed it up both times. I now go to Chongs, Good guy, good prices and good work.

Jyruiz
08-03-2006, 07:04 AM
What is all they do on the 50 hour service? I have 9 more hours to go.

Not So Fast
08-03-2006, 07:10 AM
Listen to the man!!!!!! What are they doing for $225, not a full service thats for damn sure.
On the impeller thing, thats why I dont power off anymore when beached, cheaper and just as easy to push off a little. Not like the old housing that could be replaced for well under $100. :rolleyes: :( NSF

phebus
08-03-2006, 07:51 AM
For those of you that are concerned about the grooves being ground into their impeller housing, there is a company in Havasu called R&R, that makes a stainless insert wear plate for both ends of the stock 496 impeller housing (better then just surfacing the one end, but still having grooves in the bottom end of the housing), that cures all ills, and makes your housing as good as new. They package the kit with the plates, all hardware required, and a new impeller, and if I remember right, the entire deal was just over a $100., and is a very easy install.
If anyone needs more info, I can stop by, and get it. I have been running the kit all year, and it works great. I'm running the same temps as I was running when the boat was new, which is a drop, as the temps were creeping up as the grooves were worn into the housing.
Great product, that was long overdue.

revpuffdaddy
08-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Stay away from Gary's. Bad News! Go to Alco Marine! Excellent service and will work by appt.

Ultracrazy
08-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Stay away from Gary's. Bad News! Go to Alco Marine! Excellent service and will work by appt.
Sounds like Gary is out........wasn't a hard choice.
Thanks for the input guys and gals.........
UC

Not So Fast
08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
For those of you that are concerned about the grooves being ground into their impeller housing, there is a company in Havasu called R&R, that makes a stainless insert wear plate for both ends of the stock 496 impeller housing (better then just surfacing the one end, but still having grooves in the bottom end of the housing), that cures all ills, and makes your housing as good as new. They package the kit with the plates, all hardware required, and a new impeller, and if I remember right, the entire deal was just over a $100., and is a very easy install.
If anyone needs more info, I can stop by, and get it. I have been running the kit all year, and it works great. I'm running the same temps as I was running when the boat was new, which is a drop, as the temps were creeping up as the grooves were worn into the housing.
Great product, that was long overdue.
Good news indeed Rick :D I'll have to get that info for when the time comes, so far no damage to wear plates but you never know. Bobby NSF