PDA

View Full Version : Clearlake

NorCalCat
08-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Anyone going tobe at Clearlake this weekend?

Clearlake Kid
08-02-2006, 08:38 PM
I will be, but i'm always here :crossx:

NorCalCat
08-02-2006, 08:40 PM
I will be, but i'm always here :crossx:
What are you running? Where are you? I am in Corinthian Bay...Every weekend...

a catered life
08-02-2006, 08:46 PM
we got a resort up there? wifey wants to go... how's that lake and where exactly is it?

Clearlake Kid
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
What are you running? Where are you? I am in Corinthian Bay...Every weekend... I'm on the south end running a 20' Sanger mini cruiser.

sleekcraft78
08-03-2006, 04:12 AM
Hey I heard that lake was pretty nasty for swim'in, is this true? I'd like to come down to see the board fest mid month. Someone told me you can put your hand a foot under water and you can'tt see it. :crossx:

UBFJ #454
08-03-2006, 05:23 AM
Lived and worked as an exploration mining geologist/geophysicist in the area for over a year back when. The area to the East of (and which drains into) the lake (know to mining geologists as the Knoxville District) was the second largest Mercury producing Mining District in North America (Knoxville Mine). Needless to say, the water in ClearLake contains an extremely high amount of background Hg ... Not toxic, but I wouldn't drink the raw lake water nor eat fish caught in the lake (fish concentrate Hg) .....

NorCalCat
08-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Lived and worked as an exploration mining geologist/geophysicist in the area for over a year back when. The area to the East of (and which drains into) the lake (know to mining geologists as the Knoxville District) was the second largest Mercury producing Mining District in North America (Knoxville Mine). Needless to say, the water in ClearLake contains an extremely high amount of background Hg ... Not toxic, but I wouldn't drink the raw lake water nor eat fish caught in the lake (fish concentrate Hg) .....
I hear ya there. I am third generation going to Clear Lake in the summers. It has always been that way. We don't eat the fish either. They say 1 per week is ok, but hell, half of them glow. :220v:
The lake has been pretty clean this year. Last year it was great. We had hot weather early this summer, so it is a bit dirtier than last. The lake is fed by many hot springs, so the water is very warm. In some areas it is uncomfortabley warm.
All in all, there is no other lake that you can pull up and listen to a concert in the comfort of your own boat, pull up to a winery on the lake for wine tasting, etc. We enjoy every weekend up there!

lucky
08-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Anyone going tobe at Clearlake this weekend?
yes , Sunday/ puting it together fri night if your bord :) i'll have my 20 foot howard v drive cruiser - soda bay cell 707 489 2080 holla

HighVoltage 329
08-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I was there last weekend for ski racing in Red Bud. Good turn out, 25+ race boats.The lake was clear & cleen.

Magnuman
08-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Not this weekend, heading up to Tahoe tonight.
I plan on being on Clear Lake for the next three weekends though.

NorCalCat
08-03-2006, 08:37 AM
I was there last weekend for ski racing in Red Bud. Good turn out, 25+ race boats.The lake was clear & cleen.
Was there for the race as well. Came in by boat. You see Bob Maherajah's boat? Very interesting. It looks like a floatign trailer. He followed be out of Brado's and bow was he eat'n it in the rough water.

HighVoltage 329
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Was it that old outboard with the setp looking nose? He makes great skis not boats. I was talking to him about a retro looking wood 360 type ski that looks like a fun ride with less drag.

NorCalCat
08-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Was it that old outboard with the setp looking nose? He makes great skis not boats. I was talking to him about a retro looking wood 360 type ski that looks like a fun ride with less drag.
No, that one is long gone. A friend bought it back in the 80's.
Here is his new one. http://maherajah.com/custom_boats.html (http://)

Dave C
08-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I heard that board fest is such a big party you hardly notice that water is funky.... :crossx:
Hey I heard that lake was pretty nasty for swim'in, is this true? I'd like to come down to see the board fest mid month. Someone told me you can put your hand a foot under water and you can'tt see it. :crossx:

Fountainduo
08-03-2006, 10:42 PM
We are goin up for the Boardstock party. Dont board......but fun to watch the show. Was there last year and it was a pain gettin a slip at Konocti at night, but what a party.

NorCalCat
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Ya, Board Stock is a HUGE party. Won't be there this year. They have a 5 yr contract with Konocti, so there is always next year.
Be safe!