PDA

View Full Version : info needed on Volvo 600 DPX

bite me
08-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Does anyone have this package in thier boat? Can you give me any feed back good or bad. thanks

Keith E. Sayre
08-03-2006, 12:56 PM
We installed 2 of them about 3 years ago for 2 of our owners here at Conquest. Volvo gets those engines from Innovation Marine, they're 540 inch
efi motors with a huge camshaft. they sound great. they don't burn too much fuel either. We installed both in exact same boats one with an XR
drive and one with a DPX duo prop. guess which boat was faster?
I never would have believed it but the DPX was faster by about 3 mph, I think it tested in ***boat mag at 78.6 mph. the duo prop made it handle
better in docking situations and slow speed maneuvering.
There is one catch with them though. The dpx apparently has a bit of an
achilles heel as do all duo prop design drives, one of the counterrotating
shafts is hollow. For this reason, they detune the efi system so that it doesn't make too much torque when you take off from a dead stop. So
for a boat that works well with a single prop, going to the DPX drive could
actually slow you down even though you have more bite in the water and
more horsepower. After about 8 or 9 seconds, with no hands near the
throttle all of a sudden the engine takes off all by itself and accelerates
very well but it takes a bit of getting used to.
Our Conquest that is on the cover of Hot Boat mag this month has one of these Innovation Marine built Volvo 600 hp engines. It runs real similar to a Merc 525 but does get about 2-3 mph more on the top end than the 525. The 525 will smoke it out of the hole though. Don't forget, full hydraulic steering to the helm is included in that package also.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

caroftheweek
08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
We installed 2 of them about 3 years ago for 2 of our owners here at Conquest. Volvo gets those engines from Innovation Marine, they're 540 inch
efi motors with a huge camshaft. they sound great. they don't burn too much fuel either. We installed both in exact same boats one with an XR
I never would have believed it but the DPX was faster by about 3 mph, I think it tested in ***boat mag at 78.6 mph. the duo prop made it handle
shafts is hollow. For this reason, they detune the efi system so that it doesn't make too much torque when you take off from a dead stop. So
Our Conquest that is on the cover of Hot Boat mag this month has one of these Innovation Marine built Volvo 600 hp engines. It runs real similar to a Merc 525 but does get about 2-3 mph more on the top end than the 525. The 525 will smoke it out of the hole though. Don't forget, full hydraulic steering to the helm is included in that package also.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Volvo doesn't make those packages anymore do they?

Cole Trickle
08-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
What is the price difference between the Volvo 600 and Merc 525? :)

RiverDave
08-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I test drove a conquest with a DPX 600 years ago.. It was a dog coming out of the hole, but I thought I remembered it running better then 80 mph?
The handling on the boat was unreal. The sales guy was whipping the wheel to the left and right, I was "unexpectedly" sitting in the back, and went sliding from one side to the other where I missed the rail by an inch with my hand before sliding all the way to the otherside half upside down and half on the floor..
RD

jbtrailerjim
08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Volvo doesn't make those packages anymore do they?
No, they quit building them a few years ago.
A freind of mine is a dealer for Volvo and when he got word they were going to quit building them, he bought about everyone they had left. When I had my Ultra built he tried to get me to put one in it and like a friggin idiot I told him "NO". I was worried at the time that it would hurt the resale value on my boat. :rolleyes: I kick myself all of the time for not jumping on one of those. He was going to sell me the engine and drive for not that much more than my 496Mag cost.