PDA

View Full Version : Text Message on Cingular Phone Identification

probablecause
08-03-2006, 07:05 AM
My daughter’s Cingular cell phone bill came back at $300.00   but with not that many phone calls. The killer was all of the text messages. There was one number on the bill that had over 300 text messages and it began with the area code of 171. I have called the number and there is no such number (probably based on the 171). Anyone know what the 171 area code is? I googled it and it came back to London. I know she is not text messaging London.

Thorsinc
08-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Maybe she met someone online? Take her phone and send a text Say “ Hey give me a call I need to talk to you” or "Just thinking about you" see what happens.
But have you asked her about it-

uvindex
08-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Anyone know what the 171 area code is? I googled it and it came back to London. I know she is not text messaging London.There is no 171 area code in the US (the lowest area code is 201). Good luck with your investigation. :)

C-2
08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
It's a service which sells ringtones. They send you a multiple text messages and if you reply, they nail you for $300 (apparently their standard charge).
If you call Cingular and tell them you did not purchas ethe tones and only replied to tell them to stop - they'll credit your account and block the incoming text messages.
So no need to break out the shotgun.....yet :220v: :220v: :220v:
Damn sneaky fawks.

uvindex
08-03-2006, 08:50 AM
It's a service which sells ringtones. They send you a multiple text messages and if you reply, they nail you for $300 (apparently their standard charge).WOW. I'm glad I read this. I just bought new RAZR phones (Cingular) for the wife and me and was considering downloading a ringtone or two. After Googling "free ringtones" I decided against it -- so many of the sites seem kind of slimy.
Thanks for that bit of info. :)

probablecause
08-03-2006, 09:02 AM
It's a service which sells ringtones. They send you a multiple text messages and if you reply, they nail you for $300 (apparently their standard charge).
If you call Cingular and tell them you did not purchas ethe tones and only replied to tell them to stop - they'll credit your account and block the incoming text messages.
So no need to break out the shotgun.....yet :220v: :220v: :220v:
Damn sneaky fawks.
171 numbers are ringtones???

HavasuSelect
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
If you're gonna buy ringtones it's best to do it through the company thats providing your service. For instance, I have T-Mobile and I will only buy them through their website because I know I can trust them. Like you said, some of these online companies seem very very shady.

C-2
08-03-2006, 09:12 AM
171 numbers are ringtones???
Apaprently, and they might have been unsolicited on your daughter's end.
I got this info from another investigator who is not into ringtones ~ yet had this happen to him too. He was deluged with text messages from a 171 number and when he replied, telling them to stop ~ they did. However, he freaked when he saw they hit him for $300.
I'll see what other feedback I get from other sources too, and will post up the info.
Let us know what Cingular sez

572Daytona
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Just fyi, if you daughter doesn't plan on using text messages or you don't want her to, you can have Cingular disable text messaging on her phone. I did that on my daughter's, she can call someone if she really needs to talk to them and she can IM all she wants on her laptop so I didn't see the need.