PDA

View Full Version : Yet another home A/C question

uvindex
08-03-2006, 07:38 AM
It's great that ***boat has so many knowledgable and helpful A/C guys. :)
My home A/Cs condenser unit has died (and it's 10 years old so I'm going to replace, not repair it). (I replaced the air handler/furnace last year with a new Carrier unit so that part is good to go.)
I have a quote to replace my existing condenser unit with a 5-ton Carrier 13-SEER (model 24ABR360A003) for $3025 total. The unit has easy access.
This is a Tampa, FL price so it may not be comparable to CA, but I wouldn't expect it to be MORE than CA.
Does this price sound reasonable?
Thanks!

Hal
08-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Do you by any chance know the model # of the evap coil they installed last year? You may want to go with one of last years models to match your coil. I can still get some of the 10 and 12 SEER condensing units from last year...I would think a Carrier dealer there could get them to. You could save some money on last years model if available in your area.
Back to your question yes that is a fair price. That is about what that installation would cost you here in CA.

uvindex
08-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! :)
About possibly getting a unit from last year: The contractor has already sent a truck to Orlando (90 minute drive) to pick up a c/u for my install. Since I'm without A/C, I'm pretty eager to get it up and running again. (I'll bet you guys hear that a lot in the summer. :))
Thanks again.

Dezertrider
08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Make sure you match the indoor coil seer rating to the new outdoor seer rating. 10 seer is not manufatured any longer and this heat wave in Cali wiped out what was left. I have seen a few guys try and make a 14 seer condenser work with a 10 seer indoor coil and they have nothing but problems. Adding a TXV helps but it isnt the same
Dezertrider

Trailer Park Casanova
08-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a fair deal to me.
I've seen estimates far higher than that.

Hal
08-03-2006, 06:27 PM
The new 13 SEER units will work with cap tube coils that are 1994 and newer. At least thats what Carrier rep told me today. I may have screwed up saying I can still get 10 and 12 seer units after this heat wave...I have been off on disability for 8 weeks and haven't been keeping up on the what they have in stock. But I do get email updates from the Carrier rep on whats left of the old stuff and the last I recieved they still had some stuff left. I will check in the morning. Actually I guess it doesn't matter much If Carrier backs their new equipment with the old 10 and 12 SEER coils. There is not that much price differance in the new 13 and the old 12 SEER units.

Dezertrider
08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
HMMMMM????? My carrier rep is holding out on me!!!!!! LOL
The problems I have seen with the seer rating not matching are in commercial/retail buildings that use ac year round. Residential units dont get as much punishment
BTW in this heat contractors are getting top dollar because they are OVERLOADED.

OutCole'd
08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Any of you AC guys do side work in Havasu?