PDA

View Full Version : gentleman, need your help

kilroybay
08-03-2006, 07:57 AM
we have just recently finished re-doing a 1979 carlson cvx20 jet with a 460.
total re build on everthing.
the 12je pump was re-built and blueprinted by jack mcclure in costa mesa. the motor was rebuilt by JMS racing motors in monrovia, CA and beefed up a little, cam, electronic ignition, electric fuel pump and a holly 680. the motor dynoed at 340 hp max. the torque was at a max of 510 ft. lbs. at 3200-3300rpms. i am told that is really, really good what do you guys think??
after much testing and solving some timing problems we took another test run on elsinore on tues. morning. she woul only turn about 4800 with an occasional bump up to 5000.
she gps's at a max of 55 mph. seeems that we should be in the low sixty's with this set up. the hull is perfect and brand new, no hook.
again, any input would be most appreciated.
kilroybay, bruce johnson

jetboat
08-03-2006, 08:13 AM
ask impatient1,he lives ford.

ultra tweaker
08-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Your numbers don't sound right. 340 hp sounds really low but the torque sounds good. Also peak power at 3200 is very low, when you turn more R's your set up may be leaving its power band. just my .02$ Do you have some type of diverter or trim? Your hull may be running to wet. Have you called Jack, he is great for help?

Duane HTP
08-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Sounds a lot like the wrong camshaft for the application. Send me your cam and engine specs and let me look at them. Also, what size impeller are you running? doblander@hi-techperformance.com

centerhill condor
08-03-2006, 02:21 PM
You're getting all of it... with the torque max that low you could switch to an "AA" impeller and go 55 mph with lower rpm and less maintenance. How fast do you want it to go?

SmokinLowriderSS
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
340 HP, 4800 RPM is about all you are going to get, assuming an "A" impeller. I agree that 500+ torque is great, but, IMO, that much, at 3300 RPM, is a sign of great breathing thru just to small a camshaft. I dare assume log exhaust (stock)?
Also, an "E" without the "F" diverter will let the hull run really wet, and is probably costing you IMO, 6 to 8 MPH. There's your 60+. If it is occasionally spinning to 5,000, a sign of cavitation someplace, and a top-loader will help this. The E & F need one before the other models do from the shorter, steeper, intake suction design.
I am running an "F" in my Taylor.

kilroybay
08-04-2006, 07:13 AM
i'm going on vacation shortly to northern idaho and run the hell out of her up there. this winter we'll pull the motor and see what we can do .
to answer some of your questions, we have a brand new diverter and it seems to get the hull out of the water quite good, but i'm not an expert.
we have aluminum exhaust headers, however they are very old, but seem to be doing the job.
i don't know the cam specs but i will get them and let you know in the future.
i have talked to jack and am going to talk to him some more.
i believe he said he just rebuilt the pump and kept it totally stock.
i read hear all the talk about gates and pick ups and loaders and stuff and have an idea what they can do. when we pull the motor this winter will try to upgrade that also.
jeez it's only money. LOL
thanks again for the great input. i'll let you all know what happens.
kilroybay, bruce johnson