PDA

View Full Version : Gears For T-400

LD Mandella
08-03-2006, 09:35 AM
There has been some brief discussion here before regarding different gear ratios for auto trannys, does anyone know what is available and where for a turbo-400?
Thanks
John

coolchange
08-05-2006, 09:02 PM
John Kilgore (sp) in Burbank makes a 1.24 second for the th 400. My buddy runs one in his A/G lakester.

HM
08-06-2006, 09:07 PM
John Kilgore (sp) in Burbank makes a 1.24 second for the th 400. My buddy runs one in his A/G lakester.
I don't know the ratio's in the t-400, so would 1.24 be closer to 3rd or further away?

LD Mandella
08-07-2006, 08:05 AM
How do you get in touch with Mr. Kilgore?
I believe that the 24 gear is closer to third, at least that is what i am looking for, when you grab third gear it is a big hit, I think Marty Gras was discussing the strain on drivetrain due to this. I would like both first and second changed but second gear is the critical one and would improve the driveability significantly.

GofastRacer
08-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Stock TH400 ratio!.
1st=2.48
2nd=1.48
3rd=1.00
Kilgore! (http://www.kilgoretrans.com/html/2_ford_gear_sets.html)

VD CRUISER
08-07-2006, 09:50 AM
ART, do you think the change to the 1.24 second gear would be enough to make second gear useful. Even with my 48% gears and a 11 1/2 x 15 1/2 three blade prop I can't stand on it in second gear without severly cavitating the prop, and sending the rpm's out of sight. I only use it for slow speed manuvering.

Marty Gras
08-07-2006, 10:02 AM
The 1.24 in second is VERY nice and his 'old' 1.32 was nice and easy on driveline parts. The larger the gear spread, the bigger the driveline shock. Why do guys still think Powerglides are the same as T400's in boats?

LD Mandella
08-07-2006, 10:17 AM
So where do I get the gears and are the 1.24 and 1.32 both available? Marty Gras is right grabbing 3rd with the stock gears is tough. I am sorta leaning to the 1.32 if they are available.
Thanks
John

GofastRacer
08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Besides Kilgore, you have TCI, Hughes, B&M, Art Carr to name a few, they all have different gear ratios to choose from!..

LD Mandella
08-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks Art, I did not realize the big guys were doing this, I thought it was more specialized, I will chase them down, I definately need a gear change with the turbo motor!!
John

HM
08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks Art, I did not realize the big guys were doing this, I thought it was more specialized, I will chase them down, I definately need a gear change with the turbo motor!!
John
And let us know who has the best value. $5K for 2nd gear for recreational duty is a tad steep - there are a lot more things I'd spend $5K on before I would spend it on 2nd gear. I am thinking it could be a lot less if you did not want lightened gears.

VD CRUISER
08-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Yea, thats a little too steep for me , I'll just stick with high gear. :cry:

GofastRacer
08-07-2006, 06:21 PM
You can get them in the $400-$500 range depending on who and what they're made of, check with Summit and Jeg's or just call them up direct. Those super high dollar deals are for mega horsepower racing applications!..

LD Mandella
08-08-2006, 07:31 AM
I am on the hunt, I will let you all know what I find.
John

LD Mandella
08-08-2006, 01:17 PM
I spoke with John Kilgore, nice guy, he will make anything you want but prefers a 2.4 first and 1.4 second. You have to change both first and second gears and if you want to go with a larger i.e. 1.29 second your first gear is a 2.1 which is pretty big, which would mean my idle would most likely be above the all important no wake speed. Quite the brain twister, they are$1400 for both sets, so now I have to give it all some thought. Any input is welcome, my gears in the v-drive are 29s.
John

HM
08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I spoke with John Kilgore, nice guy, he will make anything you want but prefers a 2.4 first and 1.4 second. You have to change both first and second gears and if you want to go with a larger i.e. 1.29 second your first gear is a 2.1 which is pretty big, which would mean my idle would most likely be above the all important no wake speed. Quite the brain twister, they are$1400 for both sets, so now I have to give it all some thought. Any input is welcome, my gears in the v-drive are 29s.
John
I don't think you should have problems with a big first. The biggest first appears to be smaller than the stock 2nd gear. I have 27% and my boat idles great in second gear - I can even cruise around at 1000 rpm in 2nd and I am still within 5 mph. My boat idles at 6.1 MPH in 3rd.(GPS).

coolchange
08-08-2006, 05:44 PM
John
If your boat idles at 10 mph in drive, with a 2.1 first it will go half the speed. Remember, transmissions are UNDER drive (reduction), your v drive is OVER drive.
With a 1.24 second you are essentially running 5%over.
1.29-1.24=.05
Stock 2nd 1.48
1.29-1.48=.19 underdrive effectivly.
We run the 1.24 in the lakester because we need a softer shift at over 200 mph across the lakebed.

LD Mandella
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the replys, I think you all are probably right and the idle will be OK with the 2.1 first, the rub is you lose the strength in the sun gear with the larger 1.29 second, now that being said I am not racing the thing so I think it should survive but the gurus agree the strongest combo is 2.4 first and 1.4 second. For future reference I have spoken with alot of different companies on this search and I can say without question that John kilgore is THE BOMB when it comes to gears for your tranny, you do not need to look any further. I will be happy to go into that statement in greater detail privately.
I will let you all know what I decide on finally but i am leaning toward the 2.1 and 1.29 combo.
Thanks
again
John

HM
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the replys, I think you all are probably right and the idle will be OK with the 2.1 first, the rub is you lose the strength in the sun gear with the larger 1.29 second, now that being said I am not racing the thing so I think it should survive but the gurus agree the strongest combo is 2.4 first and 1.4 second. For future reference I have spoken with alot of different companies on this search and I can say without question that John kilgore is THE BOMB when it comes to gears for your tranny, you do not need to look any further. I will be happy to go into that statement in greater detail privately.
I will let you all know what I decide on finally but i am leaning toward the 2.1 and 1.29 combo.
Thanks
again
John
Good info. keep it coming!!!
I am leaning towards that same ratio. In second gear, I would be close to 1:1 engine rpm to prop rpm. This would make for great use at wakeboarding speeds. Engine would be higher up on the power band making it easier to control/maintain engine speed - similar to the rpm seen in regular inboard ski boats. Then, put it in 3rd for cruising and high speed runs.
You find someone to swap the gears out and have your total cost under $800 and I will drop off my trans the next day.

LD Mandella
08-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Frank, if you find someone to do it for 800 bucks let ME know, the swap is supposed to be simple but the gears cost what the gears cost, I think it will probably save me money on repairs in the long run, and the increased uitility of the boat is worth it in my application.
John

HM
08-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Frank, if you find someone to do it for 800 bucks let ME know, the swap is supposed to be simple but the gears cost what the gears cost, I think it will probably save me money on repairs in the long run, and the increased uitility of the boat is worth it in my application.
John
Well, I figured if regular grade gears were $400 - $500, that you would have $300 - $400 left over for the labor and anyother stuff like seals and so forth.
What am I missing? Is that too low for the labor? Don't want to use the $500 gear sets? Other?

LD Mandella
08-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Frank, The gears from Kilgore cost 1400 bucks and all indications are that he is THE guy for gears, plus he is a nice guy, spendy but you know you get the real and right stuff. I am convinced that the increased utility of the boat and the relief of strain on the drive train components makes the investment worthwhile, at least for me, I do not like to fix crap that broke because I did it half ass. Now that being said my set-up is a little harder on stuff than your campbell set-up, I might go with cheaper gears if I had less horsepower. I did not get pricing from jegs or summit but all the others are as expensive or more so.
Behave
John

HM
08-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I am o.k. with the gears that are $1,400. I didn't want the $4,000+ models.
As far as how hard I run my stuff, you obviously have not ridden in my boat with me driving. :D I have a n/a 630 hp 502 right now that pushed my current campbell with 27% gears to the mid 60's. I picked up a procharger M1 complete blow through system with intercooler that is set up for 7lbs. I expect HP to be in the mid 700's or higher. The plan is to put that power into a new campbell (new to me) and I am shooting for mid 70's on top speed with a recreational setup (3 blade, moderate timing, etc.).
Next question...what does Kilgore charge to install the gears? I agree, if he is "the man" then I want to use him. Perhaps you could negotiate a deal if I get mine done at the same time? :D