PDA

View Full Version : anyone here premix?

sleekcraft137
08-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Last week I got a warning beep while running at pretty high RPM's. Im now all freaked out about my oil injection not working right. Anyone here pull their oil injection and premix instead??

Tom Brown
08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Premix is a pain in the ass but once you've dribbled oil on your gel, put the measuring bottle dripping with oil back into your oil box, and wiped your hands down.... you can hop in the boat and not give it another thought. :cool:
I have an engine that I left the oil pump on. It's great. You fill the reservoir every spring and you just carry on. I won't be removing the pump any time soon, either.
I have two other engines I premix.
Premix isn't that big a deal once you get a routine figured out. I bought a bunch of oil in 1 liter containers. Once it was used, I started buying oil in gallon jugs but I measure out enough for a 5 gallon mix and then pour that into the 1 liter containers. That way, I don't have to get messy measuring it out all the time at the pumps. I can just dump in one can of oil, pump 5 gallons, dump another can of oil, pump another 5 gallons, etc....

sleekcraft137
08-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Premix is a pain in the ass but once you've dribbled oil on your gel, put the measuring bottle dripping with oil back into your oil box, and wiped your hands down.... you can hop in the boat and not give it another thought. :cool:
I have an engine that I left the oil pump on. It's great. You fill the reservoir every spring and you just carry on. I won't be removing the pump any time soon, either.
I have two other engines I premix.
Premix isn't that big a deal once you get a routine figured out. I bought a bunch of oil in 1 liter containers. Once it was used, I started buying oil in gallon jugs but I measure out enough for a 5 gallon mix and then pour that into the 1 liter containers. That way, I don't have to get messy measuring it out all the time at the pumps. I can just dump in one can of oil, pump 5 gallons, dump another can of oil, pump another 5 gallons, etc....I don't have a problem doing the premixing, thats the easy part. I just don't want to be running at 95+ @ 6500 rpm's and have the warning buzzer go off, then have the motor lock up b/c it was too late.........ya know??

Tom Brown
08-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, if the warning buzzer is going off you need to either fix the problem or pull the auto-oiling system.
Even if it's just a faulty motion sensor.... you've got to get it fixed so you know you're oiling.

TUNNEL T
08-03-2006, 08:33 PM
what is the sound - 4 beeps every two minutes, or solid buzzer , and i think water separator is a beep or two 4 min apart ! make sure the easy ones are taken care of first .check your water separator . when you start up are you seeing the norm amount of good(blue) smoke! quick test when in water is take hose from oil injection andlet motor run for a few minutes trying to fill clear water bottle! TUNNEL T
P.S. WHEN IN DOUBT PREMIX

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Been getting a warning buzzer on my Evinrude and always thought was the overheat warning since the temp gauge always read high. Mind you it only does this in the no wake zones and the launch area.
Finally decided to take to a reputable shop in the area and they told me the VRO pump wasnt working properly at idle. I'm having them replace the pump assy since I prefer to not premix.

sleekcraft137
08-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Been getting a warning buzzer on my Evinrude and always thought was the overheat warning since the temp gauge always read high. Mind you it only does this in the no wake zones and the launch area.
Finally decided to take to a reputable shop in the area and they told me the VRO pump wasnt working properly at idle. I'm having them replace the pump assy since I prefer to not premix.I was looking at my service manual and it says that the oil mix is 100:1 at IDLE!!!! and 50:1 at WOT. So if your idling through the channel for 20 min then get out and hit it hard, your at 100:1 for the first few seconds when your motor is working at its hardest. Sounds kinda scary to me.

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Interesting. I was told its 50:1 at WOT and more like 30:1 at idle.
I was looking at my service manual and it says that the oil mix is 100:1 at IDLE!!!! and 50:1 at WOT. So if your idling through the channel for 20 min then get out and hit it hard, your at 100:1 for the first few seconds when your motor is working at its hardest. Sounds kinda scary to me.

sleekcraft137
08-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Interesting. I was told its 50:1 at WOT and more like 30:1 at idle.
I just re read my service manual, and it says that the oil injection provides oil on demand from 100:1 at idle to 50:1 at WOT

DUCKY
08-07-2006, 10:17 PM
His service manual is right. There is a linkage from the throttle to the oil pump that varies the mix based on throttle. The merc oiling system is pretty good when properly maintained I wouldn't just go pulling it unless the drive gear on the crank goes bad or something. We do need to know which buzzer went off though. Solid beep is either overheat or lack of motion at the oil pump sensor either of which means shut it down NOW. 4 rapid beeps that repeat every couple minutes is the water sensor and rapid single beeps is the sensor in the lid on the small oil tank on the motor indicating low oil level. The latter is commonly caused by a loose cap on the reservoir inside the boat, or a pinched oil or air hose.

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 04:33 AM
Might be different for a Merc but then I dont know. Stoker told me if was going to premix it should be 50:1
[sleekcraft137]I just re read my service manual, and it says that the oil injection provides oil on demand from 100:1 at idle to 50:1 at WOT[/QUOTE]

DUCKY
08-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Might be different for a Merc but then I dont know. Stoker told me if was going to premix it should be 50:1
[sleekcraft137]I just re read my service manual, and it says that the oil injection provides oil on demand from 100:1 at idle to 50:1 at WOT[/QUOTE]
That's pretty well true. I know alot of guy who run their motors hard that pre-mix at 40:1 and 32:1, but most outboards are fine at 50:1.
What he was talking about with the "100:1/50:1" is that the oil injection pump meters oil based on throttle position. It thins the mix down at lower rpms to prevent plug fouling, and excessive smoke.

sleekcraft137
08-08-2006, 01:20 PM
His service manual is right. There is a linkage from the throttle to the oil pump that varies the mix based on throttle. The merc oiling system is pretty good when properly maintained I wouldn't just go pulling it unless the drive gear on the crank goes bad or something. We do need to know which buzzer went off though. Solid beep is either overheat or lack of motion at the oil pump sensor either of which means shut it down NOW. 4 rapid beeps that repeat every couple minutes is the water sensor and rapid single beeps is the sensor in the lid on the small oil tank on the motor indicating low oil level. The latter is commonly caused by a loose cap on the reservoir inside the boat, or a pinched oil or air hose.It was rapid beeps, but I never got the chance to count how many. The second i heard them I back way off, and ofcourse it didn't do it again after that. So i'm gonna dump out the fuel water seperators and check the oil tank cap. I think I'll be out tomorrow in it. OH! one other thing I noticed is that one of my batteries is way low and won't hold a charge, so Im thinking that maybe that had something to do with it. So I replaced it.

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 03:01 PM
I know the oil injection system adjusts the mix according to the throttle position.

XFactor
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
It was rapid beeps, but I never got the chance to count how many. The second i heard them I back way off, and ofcourse it didn't do it again after that. So i'm gonna dump out the fuel water seperators and check the oil tank cap. I think I'll be out tomorrow in it. OH! one other thing I noticed is that one of my batteries is way low and won't hold a charge, so Im thinking that maybe that had something to do with it. So I replaced it.
Bingo. That's likely your problem Danny. I had the same problem. I would charge my batteries at night, take the boat out the next day and towards the end of the day I would get a warning beep. Finally fiqured out one of my batteries wasn't getting a charge. Lakeland changed something that was coved under warranty and the problem went away.

sleekcraft137
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Bingo. That's likely your problem Danny. I had the same problem. I would charge my batteries at night, take the boat out the next day and towards the end of the day I would get a warning beep. Finally fiqured out one of my batteries wasn't getting a charge. Lakeland changed something that was coved under warranty and the problem went away.Cool....I got a new battery so I'll let a know what happends. BTW Glenn.....when can I see some "new boat" sketches??? :rollside: