PDA

View Full Version : Dodge tranny issues

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 09:48 AM
So there I was, 10000 feet MSL, at Brian Head, UT's ski resort towing my "new" boat on an excursion that I didn't need to be doing.
Towing the boat slowly up 15 percent grades, in the "tow/haul" mode and the tranny starts hunting for gears, bucking, and banging around. I'm not sure if the torque converter was slipping or locking and unlocking.
I pulled over for 30 minutes and let it cool down (see story in Sandbar under Sea Ray questions) and then it drove fine the rest of the way home (to Phoenix). The EGT didn't get above 1000 and the engine temp was 210ish at the most.
I'm wondering if it just didn't get too hot and then start acting up. Any ideas, comments, or such?
2004 Dodge Cummins TD, auto tranny, 4x4, 3.73 rear gears, Edge EZ

OldYeller
08-04-2006, 09:53 AM
tranny cooler, trany cooler, tranny cooler. The engine temp may be fine, but the trans could have been cooking. I would also put a tranny temp guage on. This is exactly why I buy manual transmissions -- bulletproof!!!

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, yeah, momma's truck... I started out with a 2001 CTD HO with the 6 speed...sigh. :)
It has the stock tranny cooler (which routes through the radiator I think) but nothing else. I think a flush might be in order and a tranny temp gauge.

YeLLowBoaT
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
tranny cooler, trany cooler, tranny cooler. The engine temp may be fine, but the trans could have been cooking. I would also put a tranny temp guage on. This is exactly why I buy manual transmissions -- bulletproof!!!
'til the clutch goes...

gsb_77_xl
08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Not to be mean or negative towards Dodges or thier owners, but the transmissions they put in the Diesel trucks are WAAAAAAAAYYY under engineered. The Allisons that GM uses cant be beat IMO. Installing a tranny cooler wont hurt though.

soupersonic
08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
First of all the 3.73's were made for the manual tranny,the 4.10 were made for the auto. Secondly , smell the fluid to see if its burnt and go from there.Third,check for codes,you may have a bad brake switch that caused the convertor to lock,unlock,lock,thinking the brakes were being applied.And lastly manually shift thru the gears when pulling a steep grade slowly like that,put it in tow/haul and first gear to about 2200 rpm then hit second and so on when starting out.Let us know what you find out.

H2oracer
08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
First of all the 3.73's were made for the manual tranny,the 4.10 were made for the auto. Secondly , smell the fluid to see if its burnt and go from there.Third,check for codes,you may have a bad brake switch that caused the convertor to lock,unlock,lock,thinking the brakes were being applied.And lastly manually shift thru the gears when pulling a steep grade slowly like that,put it in tow/haul and first gear to about 2200 rpm then hit second and so on when starting out.Let us know what you find out.
I have a 2003 2wd diesel with auto and it has 3.73 gears.

soupersonic
08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Im sure it pulls what you want it to just fine,the reason i stated that was the cummins engine has a sweet spot of 2000-2200 rpm and the final drive ratio of the auto with the 4.10 gears is a perfect match to keep the rpm's higher,same goes for the 3.73's and the 6 speeds they are better matched.

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I smelled the tranny fluid while stuck at the top of the mountain and it didn't smell burnt at all. I am taking it in Wednesday for a looksee and tranny flush anyway.
I will report my findings.
I had it in tow/haul mode the entire spin up the mountain and most of the way home unless it was flat and I could hold 75 mph, keeping the rpm at a minimum of 2000. I wouldn't let it get down below 2000rpm, whether I was climbing or cruising.
Does the tranny pan have a bung (no comment :) ) for a cooler temp probe? I've never looked and am too lazy to crawl under there tonight.

soupersonic
08-04-2006, 04:51 PM
The best thing to do is get a replacement line for the trans cooler that has a fitting in it for the gauge probe. Try these guys www.massdiesel.com it thinks its about $90 for the new line and you will get the most accurate readings from there.

MikeF
08-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Take the factory cooler (the one in the radiator) completely out of the loop. Add one w/ a dedicated cooling fan to keep the oil cool.

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 06:01 PM
The best thing to do is get a replacement line for the trans cooler that has a fitting in it for the gauge probe. Try these guys www.massdiesel.com it thinks its about $90 for the new line and you will get the most accurate readings from there.
Their website is still under construction it seems...I will call them and see how much it is.
:rollside:

soupersonic
08-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Did you check for codes?

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Nope, not yet. No way to do it now as I'm at work, but I will tomorrow in the am.
Refresh my memory...ignition on/off 5 times? I can't remember it's been so long since I've done that to get the codes to show up.

soupersonic
08-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Should be 3 times.

PHX ATC
08-05-2006, 04:22 PM
No codes.
Towed the boat from QC to Canyon today without an issue at all...not even a burp.
I'm still taking it in and having the tranny fluid dumped.

onesloryd
08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
That happened to one of my friends with a 03, it turned out that he overheated the trans. You could also put a Mag-Hytec double deep pan on as well. Good luck.

Run_em_Hard
08-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Check out these sites for info on the tranny gauge and coolers
www.dieselram.com
www.cumminsforum.com

onesloryd
08-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I did a quick search on TDR and it seems there is a good cooler already in the truck, just not enough air flow.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
I dont have an answer to your question just wanted to say all of us dodge owners know they dont sell the trucks because of the tranny its the motor that sells the truck :)

PHX ATC
08-08-2006, 07:06 AM
I dont have an answer to your question just wanted to say all of us dodge owners know they dont sell the trucks because of the tranny its the motor that sells the truck :)
True dat!
I am taking it in next week as this week is shot to crap already with stuff to do. Oh, I gotta go back to work Thursday too!

seanv
08-08-2006, 07:54 AM
pull the edge "ego boost" out and toss it in the dumpster. if dodge designed that truck to run with 320hp and 600lbft tq thats where it should be. if you boost it up and things start breaking dont blame the manufacturer.
i love it, i get customers all day long asking how can i turn up my cummins. my reply is always it's easy. 1st we put all the crap on to boost it up and then we start replacing tranny's and such at your expense. :crossx:

PHX ATC
08-08-2006, 08:13 AM
pull the edge "ego boost" out and toss it in the dumpster. if dodge designed that truck to run with 320hp and 600lbft tq thats where it should be. if you boost it up and things start breaking dont blame the manufacturer.
i love it, i get customers all day long asking how can i turn up my cummins. my reply is always it's easy. 1st we put all the crap on to boost it up and then we start replacing tranny's and such at your expense. :crossx:
Easy there turbo. Nobody said I was wandering into the dealer whining about them replacing my tranny. I asked the knowledgable people on here if they had any ideas on why it acted that way. My initial idea was that it got hot.
I would be okay with the tranny taking a dump, then I could build it up so it could withstand the torque of the Cummins properly and last forever with aftermarket parts.
Before you start shooting off darts at me (and my Edge EZ) get your facts straight. My truck is a 2004 which, you should know if you're in the Dodge business as it appears you are, has the 305/550 engine, not the 320/600. It's a 2004, not 2004 1/2 or later.
I take it your suggestion as to why it acted the way it did is because of my Edge EZ?

seanv
08-08-2006, 09:00 AM
wasnt throwin darts or flamin you, i do get tired of the complaints from people who crank their trucks up then wonder why they break. when you say 2004 i assume its the 600 engine. sorry for assuming.
i also own a dsl truck but, i did no engine or electronic changes. only for the fact it tows my crap around just fine so why mess with it.
as for your trany, did any lights come on on the dash?
i talked to my trany guy and he said if it's driving fine and no lights are on you "should" be fine.i explained how your fluid didnt smell burnt or look discolored.
he said it may have went into "safe or limp" mode due to heat and load.

PHX ATC
08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
wasnt throwin darts or flamin you, i do get tired of the complaints from people who crank their trucks up then wonder why they break. when you say 2004 i assume its the 600 engine. sorry for assuming.
i also own a dsl truck but, i did no engine or electronic changes. only for the fact it tows my crap around just fine so why mess with it.
as for your trany, did any lights come on on the dash?
i talked to my trany guy and he said if it's driving fine and no lights are on you "should" be fine.i explained how your fluid didnt smell burnt or look discolored.
he said it may have went into "safe or limp" mode due to heat and load.
Cool! Thanks for checking with the tranny guru.
No lights on the dash when it was acting up and no codes as of 3 days ago.
You're right though, the schmucks that turn it up beyond belief and then come crying in for "warranty" work need to have their knicker twisted and I'm sure you get sick of them whining about it.

Outnumbered
08-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey Toby, this same thing just happened to my bro-in-law with his 2006 3500 D-max/Allison. The truck is on 35's and has a lift. He pulls a 38' tripple slide fiver toy box. He has the truck juiced pretty good and over heated the tranny last two trips. Started acting weird etc...he put the thing in limp mode. He had to stop on the side and let it cool down for a while. The problem WAS from the juice box. He now sets it on "1" not "4" and drives a little slower. All seems fine now.
I think your problem was just a really bad hill and maybe too much juice. I think you will be fine.

PHX ATC
08-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Not a problem towing the past 2 times (to the lake) and momma's towing the horsie trailer right now without a problem. I f'gred a flush, new fluid, and slow her down a tad. That's the hard part. :)
24,000 miles in 3 years of ownership (well 34 months of ownership).

78CoLe
08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
2004 Dodge Cummins TD, auto tranny, 4x4, 3.73 rear gears, (Edge EZ)
^ there your problem stick with bully dog they got saftey features and they make power not just make black smoke

PHX ATC
08-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your input.
I was acting about trannies, not bolt on power chips. I've been using Edge products since 2001 and had good luck with them. That's just my choice.
After we broke it down on the boards here, we figured it was overheated. Sounds good to me.