PDA

View Full Version : Why are most stern drive boats rt hand drivers?

Titan7
08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Ok dumb question but, why not put make the driver side on the left side like most cars in the US? Is there a reason for the rt side? I can see why Jet's are on the right side due to the foot pedel.

moneypit
08-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Its a splash thingy. :rolleyes:

YeLLowBoaT
08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Tradition

centurion tunnel
08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Cable routing

VanDeano
08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
My Carrera is on the Left and it is an outdrive.

core attitude
08-04-2006, 09:57 PM
It's old school held over.......due to the laws of maritime navigation and the shoreline being to the right of the driver, it would have been impossible for a captain to maintain control of his vessel while in a drive thru. Once the government banned shore to ship vending, other forms of propulsion found their way into assorted vessels allowing for left or right steer.

Boatcop
08-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Vessels to the starboard (right) side of another vesel have the right of way. Placing the helm on the starboard side allows the driver to have a clear view to that area, also known as the "Danger Zone".

Moneypitt
08-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Ok dumb question but, why not put make the driver side on the left side like most cars in the US? Is there a reason for the rt side? I can see why Jet's are on the right side due to the foot pedel.
In this case the jet steering is on the port side, (left), right? Or are there jets with the steering on the right,(starboard) side also? :confused:

HocusPocus
08-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Vessels to the starboard (right) side of another vesel have the right of way. Placing the helm on the starboard side allows the driver to have a clear view to that area, also known as the "Danger Zone".
then why arn't all boats made that way? my last stern drive boat was a left hand drive. i read somewhere that it depends on the rotation of your prop as to which side the drivers seat is on. only reason that made sense to me is my last stern drives prop rotated clockwise and the driver sat on the left. the boat before that rotated counter clockwise and the driver sat on the right. had something to do if the driver was alone in the boat the rotating prop would counter balance them. of course i don't know this for a fact.. :rollside:

RitcheyRch
08-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Thats what I thought.
then why arn't all boats made that way? my last stern drive boat was a left hand drive. i read somewhere that it depends on the rotation of your prop as to which side the drivers seat is on. only reason that made sense to me is my last stern drives prop rotated clockwise and the driver sat on the left. the boat before that rotated counter clockwise and the driver sat on the right. had something to do if the driver was alone in the boat the rotating prop would counter balance them. of course i don't know this for a fact.. :rollside:

Havasu1986
08-05-2006, 07:46 AM
My 2 jet boats were on the left and I had Eliminator do the same for my 25 O.D.

BajaMike
08-05-2006, 08:51 AM
It's old school held over.......due to the laws of maritime navigation and the shoreline being to the right of the driver, it would have been impossible for a captain to maintain control of his vessel while in a drive thru. Once the government banned shore to ship vending, other forms of propulsion found their way into assorted vessels allowing for left or right steer.
Why would the shoreline always be on the right of the driver??:confused: It would depend on which way you're going....north or south....up river or down river. :idea:
And.....they have "driver thru"s for big ships??:confused: Like Jack in the Box????:D:D
:rollside:

Sotally Tober
08-05-2006, 08:52 AM
I would not want it any different. I have better control with my right hand (in most situations). I would not have as good control in close/docking the boat. IMO.

Jordy
08-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Why would the shoreline always be on the right of the driver??:confused: It would depend on which way you're going....north or south....up river or down river. :idea:
Not if you're paying attention to the laws of navigation on the river/lake you're on and observing a counter-clockwise (sorry, I've got about 4,000 things going on) rotation, granted not many people pay attention to that kind of stuff out on the water anyway, but in a perfect world it would be that way. Much like driving down the road you should be on the right side. ;)

BajaMike
08-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Not if you're paying attention to the laws of navigation on the river/lake you're on and observing a clockwise rotation, granted not many people pay attention to that kind of stuff out on the water anyway, but in a perfect world it would be that way. Much like driving down the road you should be on the right side. ;)
Clockwise rotation???:confused:
So, if I'm coming down the coast from San Francisco to LA, how do I keep the coast on my starboard side??
:cool:
Anyway.....just f-ing with you, Jordy.....
I'm getting out to here to go down to the harbor to work on my boat, since all the girls are working today :cry:
:2purples: :2purples:

Jordy
08-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Clockwise rotation???:confused:
So, if I'm coming down the coast from San Francisco to LA, how do I keep the coast on my starboard side??
Duh, you just drive in reverse. :D :D :D
And I'm sorry, but which river/lake are you referring to??? You mentioned coming downriver and I didn't know that the Pacific had an up or down river. :D :D :D
Just a few more minor details and I'm off to the lake. Have a great day Mike. :D

RiverToysJas
08-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Not if you're paying attention to the laws of navigation on the river/lake you're on and observing a clockwise rotation, granted not many people pay attention to that kind of stuff out on the water anyway, but in a perfect world it would be that way. Much like driving down the road you should be on the right side. ;)
That's true, if by clockwise, you mean counter-clockwise. ;)
RTJas :D

BajaMike
08-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Ya...what he said.....:D:D
:idea:

Jordy
08-05-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm used to sailing/boating in Australlia where everything is backwards, including the rotation of the clocks. ;)

Titan7
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Ok, that's make sense, thanks!

ToMorrow44
08-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Ok, that's make sense, thanks!
I'm not quite sure about all those responses. Its always been to my understanding that the driver was on the right for a specific purpose. Most single engine sterndrive boats have right hand rotation props. The rotation of the prop will make the boat counter rotate to the left. So they put the driver and batteries and whatever weight they can on the right hand side so that when your driving solo then the boat's level. I've noticed that when there's 3 people in the boat, the 3rd person needs to sit behind the driver otherwise the boat tends to lean towards the left.
Just my opinion.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-05-2006, 04:39 PM
This is my understanding from another boating site thread last year discussion. Weight counteract to the prop torque roll action on the boat.
I also must theorize that with so many of the jets built as basically hot-rods back in the 60's & 70's, they were built to mimic a car so as to be simpler to learn to drive. Same steering, throttle pedal, had to put "shifter" somewhere.

LUVNLIFE
08-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Not sure of the reason but my 98 Elim Eagle was on the left and now my 04 Elim Daytona is on the right. I think the Eagle was built that way by the original owner since he previously had a lefthand driven V-drive.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Found this at Long Island marine ......
In the end, the answer is one of convention; people, including boat builders are used to seeing steering controls on the right, so builders put them on the right.

Debbolas
08-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Our boat manufacturer gives you the option, of which side you would like the steering on :D
:skull: :crossx: :skull:
:crossx: :skull: :crossx:

Wet Dream
08-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Baja jet, right hand drive, hand throttle.