PDA

View Full Version : So is this the wrong time to purchase a boat?

Titan7
08-04-2006, 09:51 PM
All this talk of the industry being really slow makes me wonder if I should be in the market now? I would hate to get something now and in the spring it's MUCH less! I know that the risk you take with a lot of consumer products but with all the threads I have been reading it's somewhat of a concern. I am thinking the economy is going to bring custom boats values down. I would hate to jump in at the wrong time.
I guess the flip side is if I wait I don't get to use it? I know it's not an investment.

moneypit
08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Depends where you are financially and how much boating plays a part in your life. I couldnt be without a boat. So I dont think about that part.

Tom Brown
08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I know it's not an investment.
Indeed. It's an ass fukking that you learn to enjoy over time. :cool:

Boy Named Sue
08-04-2006, 10:03 PM
When its sinking. Good time to sell though.

DeeCandyBar
08-04-2006, 10:14 PM
no, it's a great time to buy a used boat
let the first owner take the depreciation hit

KACHINA KEN
08-04-2006, 10:51 PM
25% up on high end used powerboats on OSO from last year, lots o peeps cuttin and runnin.

H20 Toie
08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
If your worried about losing money on a boat then this is not the right time to buy. or tomorrow or next year etc.

centerhill condor
08-05-2006, 03:24 AM
carpe diem! you'll never time all the lights green on the way to town... just drive. I bought my used boat in Jan. Got what I thought I wanted for what I wanted. About a year or two later you/she will want something different anyway. What do you want anyway?

OCMerrill
08-05-2006, 04:11 AM
You would never want an RV then. Worse than any boat.
I read that Airplanes do pretty good :idea:

Coach
08-05-2006, 05:48 AM
I think your best times to buy a New boat are going to be from Sept to Dec in the off season when most builders are slow and will cut some deals. Also the price of materials tends to drop (gas prices are lower, crude oil drops, so does the price of fiberglass). Most dealers will look to cut a deal so they can keep all of their employes working. Then next best time is boat show season, but then the madness begins. Everyone is buying a boat and the wait time can be very long, but you get a sweet deal. As for a used boat they are ready to go at any time. The deal you can get is how eager the owner is to sell his boat (ie how bad he needs the cash) Some can sit on their boat and get their asking price others want to pull the trigger now so they can get a new boat or have to pay off Guido before he breaks the guys knee caps. Either or plan on spending some $$$$ now or later.

cc322
08-05-2006, 05:50 AM
If you want it get it. You will never see a brand new boat especially a custom boat drop dramadicly. There are alot of good deals out there on used boats right now. As far as timing, you live for the present in terms of fun things, If you can afford it do it and dont look back, lifes to short. Now go do the right thing. One thing to remember that when we were looking at our new boat, all the builders said that there will be a 3 to 4% increase for the following year, and that comes from Merc, which the builder passes on to you.

BigDoug
08-05-2006, 06:59 AM
It's no different then buying real estate......................I didn't want to spend the kind of money havi is getting for the housing market but i did a year ago when they were up and now they are reducing every where here, do i regret it ?.....NO.......cause iv'e made memories and good friends with the lake in my back yard.
So go out and buy the boat you want and enjoy today for what it is !!!!!
That's pricless :)

RitcheyRch
08-05-2006, 07:22 AM
So true. I bought my used boat in May of this year. I bought what I wanted and feel got a decent deal.
carpe diem! you'll never time all the lights green on the way to town... just drive. I bought my used boat in Jan. Got what I thought I wanted for what I wanted. About a year or two later you/she will want something different anyway. What do you want anyway?

hotlavey
08-05-2006, 07:42 AM
All this talk of the industry being really slow makes me wonder if I should be in the market now? I would hate to get something now and in the spring it's MUCH less! I know that the risk you take with a lot of consumer products but with all the threads I have been reading it's somewhat of a concern. I am thinking the economy is going to bring custom boats values down. I would hate to jump in at the wrong time.
I guess the flip side is if I wait I don't get to use it? I know it's not an investment.
It's a perfect time to buy my boat. :rollside:

Titan7
08-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks, I totally understand about the cost associated with boat ownership I have been around them all my life. Many of my good friends have them but I have wanted my own for at least ten years. The cost is not the limiting factor, as far as investment, that's what the 401k is for. It is a big purchase and a lot of responsibility and liability. My wife kept saying look at the cost and resale value, I told her she is trying to rationalize a irrational decision, we don't need a boat it's purely a want. I have just been trying to do all my homework and follow the market etc.
There is a good builder willing to cut me a great deal on a winter build new boat. I am just trying to decide on a 21 or 23-24 (I know what the forum's opinion is on this). Also, thinking new/used still but $35-50k for a used boat is a little scary considering many that I looked have don't have service records etc? I would think records would help with resale? Will most of the builders check out a pre-owned boat for a fee?
Lot's of factors to consider on a first boat, so I am taking my time to get it as close to right that I can! You guys have been a wealth of knowledge.
Interest rates keep going up, I guess I should have pulled the trigger last year!!

HocusPocus
08-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks, I totally understand about the cost associated with boat ownership I have been around them all my life. Many of my good friends have them but I have wanted my own for at least ten years. The cost is not the limiting factor, as far as investment, that's what the 401k is for. It is a big purchase and a lot of responsibility and liability. My wife kept saying look at the cost and resale value, I told her she is trying to rationalize a irrational decision, we don't need a boat it's purely a want. I have just been trying to do all my homework and follow the market etc.
There is a good builder willing to cut me a great deal on a winter build new boat. I am just trying to decide on a 21 or 23-24 (I know what the forum's opinion is on this). Also, thinking new/used still but $35-50k for a used boat is a little scary considering many that I looked have don't have service records etc? I would think records would help with resale? Will most of the builders check out a pre-owned boat for a fee?
Lot's of factors to consider on a first boat, so I am taking my time to get it as close to right that I can! You guys have been a wealth of knowledge.
Interest rates keep going up, I guess I should have pulled the trigger last year!!
your right, there are a lot of decisions to make.. just remember this may be your first boat, but it probably wont be your last. :) find one that fits your needs best :) happy boating :cool:

a catered life
08-05-2006, 12:53 PM
If you want it get it. You will never see a brand new boat especially a custom boat drop dramadicly. There are alot of good deals out there on used boats right now. As far as timing, you live for the present in terms of fun things, If you can afford it do it and dont look back, lifes to short. Now go do the right thing. One thing to remember that when we were looking at our new boat, all the builders said that there will be a 3 to 4% increase for the following year, and that comes from Merc, which the builder passes on to you.
well said
ask your self why you want a boat generally its to have fun and give your family memories for a life time :p
i dont know to many people that buy a boat positive money return :yuk: look at it like this what activity can you spend a crap load of money to get in too, you gotta spend money to store it, you spend money to transport it, you constantly spend money to repair or upgrade it, then in some cases you only use your expensive investment a few months out of the year
shit i love this game :p
now go out and buy the best boat your money can afford and see you on the water :rollside:

DeeCandyBar
08-05-2006, 02:39 PM
you're right, interest rates are going up but as they do the prices of used boats go down

Focker
08-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Depends where you are financially and how much boating plays a part in your life. I couldnt be without a boat. So I dont think about that part.
bastard
all those years u lived across the street and u never said u were a fellow BRONCO