PDA

View Full Version : Another Jerkizoid dumb question,Help Rex

CircleJerk
05-23-2003, 11:42 PM
I just finished installing a new old stock rudder box with the single seal on top. I knew it was 1 inch so I didnt mic it. Now with rudder installed the shaft wobbles a ton without the upper thrust bearing support. should I have it sleeved for a tighter fit or will the upper support be sufficient in stopping the slop? It had the small bolt pattern {nicson?} and I was happy to find a chrome one to boot but will I have a leak problem? The Glenwood box I installed in blondes did not have this much play. What gives? The sealer is nice and set too! Boo Hoo :confused:

Rexone
05-24-2003, 02:49 AM
CircleJerk:
I just finished installing a new old stock rudder box with the single seal on top. I knew it was 1 inch so I didnt mic it. Now with rudder installed the shaft wobbles a ton without the upper thrust bearing support. should I have it sleeved for a tighter fit or will the upper support be sufficient in stopping the slop? It had the small bolt pattern {nicson?} and I was happy to find a chrome one to boot but will I have a leak problem? The Glenwood box I installed in blondes did not have this much play. What gives? The sealer is nice and set too! Boo Hoo :confused: Well jerk thats a tough question to answer now that you have it in the boat. :rolleyes:
If the rudder box you installed is too worn out and sloppy it will wipe the seal out in short order and leak, not to mention more vibration of the rudder and more wear on both the rudder box and shaft (neither a good thing). A good fit should always be estabished "before" mounting in the boat (well you already knew that now I guess). :(
The top bearing will stabilize the top of the shaft and make the slop in the rudder box less noticeable probably. When you say "wobbles a ton" that's kind of a statement that raises a certain degree of uncertainty in my mind. Is a ton like .010" or .100"? Big difference. I'd run .010 to .020 probably but not more than that. If after you install the top bearing you still feel significant movement at the blade sideways, you're wasting your time...pull it out and get a new rudder box. You can measure this with a dial incidator right at the bottom of the boat to get a pretty close idea of how much movement you have if you can't judge it by feel. I've run them looser than .020 but they will wear and leak. If you end up doing that use lots of grease regularly (but not so much as to blow the seal backwards in the rudder box).
Wish I could give you a little more difinitive answer. Good luck.

CircleJerk
05-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks Mike, I knew you were going to ask me the TON thing! Hey, do you know why they call duallys Chinese trucks?.................Guess not. They are always referred to as 'Won Tonnes'! Good Fortune to you also.
This box was in some rare new old hardware that I bought when a riggers shop closed. Included was some nice stainless rod ends and lots of 1 1/8 stuff. The chrome was also inside the box so I figured {not a good deal ever} that it would be tight if anything. I now have the upper thrust brace in place and I have less than a TON!! Ha Ha How does one go about installing grease without blowing the top seal? Hold your fingers on the lip???
Have a good weekend all you wonderful v-driven folks!! TheRoyalJeRknesslikes1TonnesandChineseTools smile_sp

Rexone
05-24-2003, 02:40 PM
CircleJerk:
Thanks Mike, I knew you were going to ask me the TON thing! Hey, do you know why they call duallys Chinese trucks?.................Guess not. They are always referred to as 'Won Tonnes'! Good Fortune to you also.
This box was in some rare new old hardware that I bought when a riggers shop closed. Included was some nice stainless rod ends and lots of 1 1/8 stuff. The chrome was also inside the box so I figured {not a good deal ever} that it would be tight if anything. I now have the upper thrust brace in place and I have less than a TON!! Ha Ha How does one go about installing grease without blowing the top seal? Hold your fingers on the lip???
Have a good weekend all you wonderful v-driven folks!! TheRoyalJeRknesslikes1TonnesandChineseTools smile_sp lmao, won tonne.... on the grease I use a manual grease gun and push the lever "only" until I start to feel some resistance indicating the grease cavity is full. Beyond that you will blow the seal backwards which doesn't work out all that well in most cases. Good fortune to you as well :D