PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want an abandoned puppy?

riverluvr
08-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone. We woke up this morning to a puppy tied to our tree. Our neighbor found it running loose this morning and it needs a home. I would keep it but I already have a great dane and a boxer...don't need another one. I thought I would try here before calling the animal shelter :0( He looks like a black lab mix of some sort. Not sure what with...he is very friendly and can already sit when told. He looks to be about 12 weeks old or so. We live in Temecula and will hold off a few hours to see if anyone is interested. He seems like a really cool dog.
Thanks!

RitcheyRch
08-05-2006, 07:39 AM
There was a thread here were someone was looking for a dog. If you end up taking it to the animal shelter it will find a good home as long as is a no kill shelter. Plus, dont think animal shelters kill puppies. Everyone wants a cute puppy.
Hi everyone. We woke up this morning to a puppy tied to our tree. Our neighbor found it running loose this morning and it needs a home. I would keep it but I already have a great dane and a boxer...don't need another one. I thought I would try here before calling the animal shelter :0( He looks like a black lab mix of some sort. Not sure what with...he is very friendly and can already sit when told. He looks to be about 12 weeks old or so. We live in Temecula and will hold off a few hours to see if anyone is interested. He seems like a really cool dog.
Thanks!

riverluvr
08-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Right...I am sure this puppy will get adopted. But I figured I would come here first and give the people on here first dibbs.

Wizard29
08-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Any pics? My fiancee might fall in love with it if she were to see it.
Does it look like it would turn into a big dog or can you tell?
She wants to get one of those little wiener dogs and I'm trying to talk her out of it and into a decent size dog. I don't want to take a step back in the garage or something and have it end up on the bottom of my shoe like a piece of gum.

riverluvr
08-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I can e mail pics...I have NO clue how to post pics on here.

Wizard29
08-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Check your PMs for an e-mail address...

RitcheyRch
08-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Dont talk her out of a little wiener dog. We have 2 mini-wieners and they are the best dogs. They are so protective of the house. Any dog that can take on a badger in a small hole is the dog for me.
Any pics? My fiancee might fall in love with it if she were to see it.
Does it look like it would turn into a big dog or can you tell?
She wants to get one of those little wiener dogs and I'm trying to talk her out of it and into a decent size dog. I don't want to take a step back in the garage or something and have it end up on the bottom of my shoe like a piece of gum.

Silver
08-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Is the puppy still around?

core attitude
08-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Hang on people.........are you sure this pup was abandoned and isn't a escapee, puppies like to explore. It would really suck if a family is out looking for their pet and it's being given away to someone else so soon.

riverluvr
08-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Puppy is still around and if it did belong to someone, that someone should have a collar and a license for the puppy. My kids have knocked on doors all over the neighborhood trying to see if anyone would claim this dog...Nope. No one. So, I figure it is better to give him away to a good home than let him run free and get hit by a car.

Silver
08-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Can I see a pic?

core attitude
08-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Puppy is still around and if it did belong to someone, that someone should have a collar and a license for the puppy. My kids have knocked on doors all over the neighborhood trying to see if anyone would claim this dog...Nope. No one. So, I figure it is better to give him away to a good home than let him run free and get hit by a car.
I never implied you should let him run free.........I just wondered if any effort had been made to reunite him with his owner(s) if he had escaped, many people aren't awake yet at 8:30 am on a Saturday when you offered him up.

riverluvr
08-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Like I said...kids knocked on the doors...I have done wha I can do. Kids have spent 4 hours trying to find it's owner. No collar....no tags...not very responsible. My opinion.

riverluvr
I would be happy to send a pic..I just need an e mail address.

Silver
I never implied you should let him run free.........I just wondered if any effort had been made to reunite him with his owner(s) if he had escaped, many people aren't awake yet at 8:30 am on a Saturday when you offered him up.
Good point! Maybe give it a few days, someone might be missing him.
Let me know.

riverluvr
08-05-2006, 11:45 AM
I can't keep it over night. My dogs would not be accepting to him. If no one wants him or claims him by 5pm, it's off to the no kill shelter in town. I am sure he will find a great home.

core attitude
08-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I can't keep it over night. My dogs would not be accepting to him. If no one wants him or claims him by 5pm, it's off to the no kill shelter in town. I am sure he will find a great home.
I never knew there was a no kill shelter in Temecula, is it new? Temecula used to be serviced by Animal Friends of the Valleys (LEAF) which is a kill shelter. The good thing about it is the place is so bad, putting them down was more humane then keeping them alive in that shit hole. I did call a couple of people I know in Murrieta who dig labs and I'm just waiting for call backs. If you post the shelter address I'll send them down there if he is already gone from your place.

riverluvr
08-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Is LEAF a kill shelter? I was told wrong by a neighbor. Yikes...ok, well I guess I am not taking him there :0( Well, we have a few neighbors interested. Hopefully he will get a home. He is sound asleep on my floor right now. He's a good puppy.

core attitude
08-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Is LEAF a kill shelter? I was told wrong by a neighbor. Yikes...ok, well I guess I am not taking him there :0( Well, we have a few neighbors interested. Hopefully he will get a home. He is sound asleep on my floor right now. He's a good puppy.
Ya......they suck, let me make a phone call for you and I'll see if I can sneak him in somewhere.

core attitude
08-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Left a message with BARC, a friend at another shelter and a buddy in wine country, if I hear anything I will let you know.

Rexone
08-05-2006, 01:54 PM
The West End Shelter in Ontario on Mission is a no kill shelter. But they don't take strays, only turn ins I think and there's probably a fee. Only no-kill I know of around locally. I was just there last week.

core attitude
08-05-2006, 01:58 PM
The West End Shelter in Ontario on Mission is a no kill shelter. But they don't take strays, only turn ins I think and there's probably a fee. Only no-kill I know of around locally. I was just there last week.
I would thik that if you were to walk in to a no kill and say you found him in the road around the corner they would take him with out much fuss. I'm making calls and waiting for call backs but no luck yet.

Rexone
08-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I would thik that if you were to walk in to a no kill and say you found him in the road around the corner they would take him with out much fuss. I'm making calls and waiting for call backs but no luck yet.
I asked. They said they send all strays to Inland Valley Humane (Pomona) which is a kill shelter.

core attitude
08-05-2006, 02:20 PM
I asked. They said they send all strays to Inland Valley Humane (Pomona) which is a kill shelter.
Bummer but thanks for the info.

RitcheyRch
08-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I cant see a shelter even if a known kill shelter want to kill a puppy. They should have no problem giving away a puppy.
I never knew there was a no kill shelter in Temecula, is it new? Temecula used to be serviced by Animal Friends of the Valleys (LEAF) which is a kill shelter. The good thing about it is the place is so bad, putting them down was more humane then keeping them alive in that shit hole. I did call a couple of people I know in Murrieta who dig labs and I'm just waiting for call backs. If you post the shelter address I'll send them down there if he is already gone from your place.

Rexone
08-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Puppys are usually quickly adopted. Sometimes for the wrong reasons unfortunately.
It's the older dogs, particularly the larger breeds that have a much tougher time getting adopted. I recently visited 6 local shelters including Elsinore, West End, Pomona, Devore, Rancho, and Upland and they are full of larger dogs, many Shepard and Pit mixes that you just know no one will likely adopt. It's quite sad actually.

core attitude
08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I cant see a shelter even if a known kill shelter want to kill a puppy. They should have no problem giving away a puppy.
I agree but thats not the way it is, not much of a "shelter" is it. :yuk:

waterwitch
08-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Our shelter here in Havasu is a no kill. If someone is coming up, maybe
they could bring the pup. If it is a lab, or friendly dog, I am SURE it would
get adopted.

Nord
08-05-2006, 02:29 PM
I would suggest taking it to a shelter to see if it he has been chipped first.. If its a puppy, then thats why it probably has no collar (common sense) He probably got out of someones yard and is being looked for.
Maybe posting a sign would work as well.

waterwitch
08-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I would suggest taking it to a shelter to see if it he has been chipped first.. If its a puppy, then thats why it probably has no collar (common sense) He probably got out of someones yard and is being looked for.
Maybe posting a sign would work as well.
Good point. Or your local vet to see if the dog has an internal chip.

core attitude
08-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Most shelters have chip scanners also.

gqchris
08-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Puppys are usually quickly adopted. Sometimes for the wrong reasons unfortunately.
It's the older dogs, particularly the larger breeds that have a much tougher time getting adopted. I recently visited 6 local shelters including Elsinore, West End, Pomona, Devore, Rancho, and Upland and they are full of larger dogs, many Shepard and Pit mixes that you just know no one will likely adopt. It's quite sad actually.
Yea, when I found my dog it was his last day before being killed. He is the BEST dog I could have asked for. Just because he is big people think he is high maintenance, but its the exact opposite! He doesnt chew things, dig, bark, pee in house, etc etc like a puppy or smaller hyper dog. He is almost 9 years now, I have had him two, and he is so grateful someone gave him a chance!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/gqchris/guinessbiz.jpg

riverluvr
08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Ok...took him in and had him searched for a chip........NO. But as of this morning, he has a home. He will be living on 5 acres so he can run and play. He also went to people that promised me that IF someone came looking for him or put up signs for a missing dog, they would return him to his rightful owners, which I still don't think there are any. I later found out last night that Fri at the local grocery store, there were people there outside trying to give puppies away...black lab mixes to be exact. I am thinking they couldn't find a home for all of them and maybe let them (or it) go. Who knows...but whatever it may be, I feel good about where he is right now.

riverluvr
08-06-2006, 09:27 AM
By the way, THANK YOU for all who tried to find this guy a home. I appreciate all of the help!

core attitude
08-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Great to hear.......sorry I dropped out last night. It was date night so when the wife came home it was on. :)

riverluvr
08-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Ah hah....very good. I hope you guys had fun! Husband and I had date night too. We went to a new restaraunt called Harry's Pacific Grill in Temecula. It was great! Will go there again and again. Do you live in Temecula too?? I figured as much because you know so much about the area. Thanks again for your help!

hotsand65
08-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I would be happy to send a pic..I just need an e mail address.
could you send me a pic hotsand65@adelphia.net.

RitcheyRch
08-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Sad that a so called shelter would want to destroy a puppy.
I agree but thats not the way it is, not much of a "shelter" is it. :yuk: