PDA

View Full Version : RSS feed enable

Tom Brown
08-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I would love to have new posts show up on my desktop RSS reader without having to refresh the site in a browser all the time. Is there any chance of enabling RSS feed support? It will reduce your bandwidth requirements substantially if you can get more people to use it.
Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> External Data Provider -> Enable RSS Syndication -> Yes
By the way, for anyone else who is interested, ***boat's RSS feed URL will be:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2
Thank you for considering it. :)

Rexone
08-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Tom we'll get right on your request.
As soon as hostilities in the middle east taper off.

Tom Brown
08-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks. :D

IT`SONLYMONEY
08-18-2006, 03:35 PM
That's a great idea! Right to my desktop.

Tom Brown
08-18-2006, 10:27 PM
That's a great idea! Right to my desktop.
Yeah. I suspect the idea has been cast aside due to ignorance of the technology.
Don't worry, a year from now when everyone is running RSS on their Vista desktops, someone else will want it.
I guess everything has it's time. :)

***boat
08-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Ok, you have RSS and XML if you want it.

Rexone
08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah. I suspect the idea has been cast aside due to ignorance of the technology.
Don't worry, a year from now when everyone is running RSS on their Vista desktops, someone else will want it.
I guess everything has it's time. :)
Ok Tom now you've went and done it. You now have to tell the rest of us non geek dumasses how to use this shit.

Tom Brown
02-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I had forgotten about this topic but I'll post an update.
If you want to keep up to date on the forums in the least amount of time, RSS is the only way to go. I follow a couple of dozen sets of forums and my reader allows me to keep up on the things I feel are important in a few minutes per day.
RSS readers do not replace web browsing. It also doesn't replace repeatedly hitting F5 in FireFox/IE when you're burning someone down in a flame war.
RSS reading provides a nice consolidated view into the RSS capable forums you follow. A good reader will alert you when certain events happen, like a response to your favorite bench racing thread. If you follow many forums and you value your time, you need to investigate using an RSS feed reader.
I use Linux/KDE and Akregator is my RSS reader of choice. From it's recent humble beginnings, it has matured into a great client. It has much of the feel and usability of KMail. Praise doesn't come any higher than that.
Windows Vista has integrated RSS aggregation facilities. I assume this is what pretty much all Vista users will use. From what I've seen of it, it works nicely.
For XP users, there are a lot of choices. I've tried a few but I hessitate to recommend one over the others as I don't spend a lot of time in Windows and haven't looked at most of the RSS options.
How about it? Would any of you Windows types care to comment?
If nobody posts up with some Windows based RSS reader information in the next few weeks, I'll see what I can dig up on the subject.
PS - Thank you very much for turning this feature on. It is a godsend for those of us who follow tons of forums. :cool: