PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Johnson 40 h.p. idle adjustment location?

fummins
08-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Great forum you have here,Im in need of some educated help.Recently purchased a boat with the above mentioned motor.I installed new plugs gapped to manufacturers specs,installed new fuel filter,and mixed fresh fuel at 50:1.Seems to idle on the low side, 600-700 rpm according to the tach,hard to keep it idling there,it wants to die.Even after I managed to keep it running for about ten minutes it was still hard to restart.I would like to bump the idle up a bit.Can some one tell me where the idle adjustment is located? Much appreciated.Thanks.

DUCKY
08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the boards. You would advance the idle timing to raise the idle. The carbs on an outboard remain completely closed at idle. I can't picture your motor in my head right now, but if you look at the throttle arm (where the cable connects), one part of the linkage goes the the carb(s) and the top of the linkage will move the trigger (under the flywheel) which advances and retards the timing. There should be an adjustment screw and locknut somewhere up there that moves only the trigger. It won't take much movement to get an extra 150-200rpm out of it. You should have about 650-700 rpm in the water in gear.