PDA

View Full Version : Trailer pink slip question

jbone
08-07-2006, 03:01 PM
My friend is purchasing a fishing boat and trailer from a private seller.
The seller says he was issued the trailer pink and that is it not necessary.
He said all that is necessary is to take the reg and bill of sale to dmv.
Is this true??
J

H20 Toie
08-07-2006, 03:05 PM
if calif then you need the pink to transfer

mondorally
08-07-2006, 03:14 PM
My friend is purchasing a fishing boat and trailer from a private seller.
The seller says he was issued the trailer pink and that is it not necessary.
He said all that is necessary is to take the reg and bill of sale to dmv.
Is this true??
J
With the last boat trailer I registered they asked if I want a pink slip. Said something along the lines that it was optional - all that was needed was the permenant trailer registration transfer. See all the DMV mumbo jumbo here (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch29.pdf)
-Justin

desertbird
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
When I bought my boat and changed reg, I did not get a Pink for the trailer. California still files one, but does not issue it unless requested. There is a seperate form to transfer reg on a trailer now (instead of signing the pink).
Either that or my trailer is stolen! :crossx: :rolleyes: :crossx:

OCMerrill
08-07-2006, 03:17 PM
In CA same as h2o said....
Pink for the boat
Pink for the trailer
If he is missing it, look at the registrations for leinholders. If there are none then have him sign a dup. pink slip. One can be got from the DMV or a place the registers with the DMV. They can be filled in and signed. With that you can transfer ownership.
Don't just take the registration to the DMV without a pink slip of some kind unless you want to go back again after the seller signs a dup pink. May even have to notorize it. Not sure.
If there is a leinholder it gets complicated. The leinholder would need to sign off on that duplicate pink.
This is a way a buyer can get screwed. No Pink no money if it were me.
If your a member of the AAA then its easier with shorter lines.

jbone
08-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks
J

RitcheyRch
08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
CA DMV sent me a pink to my trailer earlier this year.

VanDeano
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I just purchased a boat and trailer and when I had to transfer title to my name I had the option of getting a pink slip. If I wanted a hard copy of pink it would cost me an additional $7.00. If I didn't want one, it would be on file with DMV. So in away the guy is telling you the truth.

haulina29
08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Its now optional in CA my new trailer has a perm plate and DMV said for 7 or 10 bucks I could get a pink and elected not to,one more thing to keep track of .Reg will show if the trailer has a lein or not when you sell you sign off on the reg and send it down the road . H29

Kilrtoy
08-07-2006, 05:40 PM
As long as you have a BILL OF SALE signed buy the owner and the title is free and clear, then you will not need a certificate of ownership(PINK SLIP, they are now pink and green). it will cost you an additional fee for each item not in your possession. I would still request one or make the seller go to the DMV with me before money changes hands

RitcheyRch
08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Maybe the reason I automatically got a pink slip to my trailer is because I registered it at the Auto Club. Not sure if is the reason but a thought. They never asked if I wanted a pink slip or not.

VanDeano
08-08-2006, 04:04 AM
Maybe the reason I automatically got a pink slip to my trailer is because I registered it at the Auto Club. Not sure if is the reason but a thought. They never asked if I wanted a pink slip or not.
I did mine at AAA and they gave me the option.

jbone
08-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Thanks again guys,
The deal is done, and the seller lives in Loreto, Baja Ca. It was reg. in Cali though.
So hopefully it's all good. If not, its too late.
But hey, it's not my problem.
I do have a pink/green slip for my trailer.
J

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 04:41 AM
I must have had a rookie. :)
'I did mine at AAA and they gave me the option.

08-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Not only is the pink slip optional, the plate is too. For a fee, they'll send the pink, for an additional fee they'll send a plate (PTI). Neither are mandatory but having the plate will keep you from getting hassled at boat ramps outside CA.