PDA

View Full Version : How Head-ons Happen

Not So Fast
08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
I was not going to put this on here but I think its too important to skip so here goes.
Leaving the sandbar Friday afternoon I was approaching the big left turn to go back to Havasu when I noticed a 30 ft + Daytona making the turn way wide at about 60mph. At first I thought he may have lost his steering because he was headed for the shore, I moved over to my right as far as I could and now he is headed for ME. I slow to a stop and this ASSHOLE passes me on my right in between me and the shore which was about 50 ft or less away. Had I continued to move to the right I really think we would have collided. If I had gone against the rules of the road and steered to the left and this jackoff made the right move to pass me on his left then we would be mirroing each other and probably another collision with me being at fault in this case. It was too close for me and I tried to get his attention with a one finger salute in hope that he would turn around but no such luck. I'm a short little old man but in this case :mad:
Why is it the rules of the road are so hard for some boaters to understand???
How would you have handled this situation? NSF

blown dough
08-07-2006, 06:11 PM
That has happened to us a couple of times also, I think the only thing that has ever stopped by husband from chasing him down was that our daughter is always with us. However, if the time comes that she is not with us I'm sure its not going to be a pretty sight.

Rexone
08-07-2006, 06:21 PM
There are a lot of people out there who don't know the rules of the road on the water. Then there's another group that know them and don't give a shit. And a third group who still drink while boating and can't tell one side of the river from the other. Undoubtedly this guy was from one of these groups.
I personally believe that unless mandatory education is implemented in some form, performance boating as it exists today will be highly regulated in years to come in terms of HP limits, speed limits and access limits. It's already happening in some locales. Some lakes are legislating performance boats right off the water. Unfortunately history shows society in general is not real good as self policing and it only takes a handfull of yaahoos to f it up for the majority.
btw I've been in the same situation. Damned if you go right, damned if you go left.

RitcheyRch
08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Some people just dont know the rules of the water. We were at Elsinore on Sunday and was surprised at how many people were going the wrong way.

laveydayz
08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
I had something similar happen at Mead Saturday. We were heading back in for the day and this jack ass in an older 29 Fountain came up really close on my left. Mind you I had my 9yr old nephew with us. He was taunting as if he was trying to race or something. He then hits the gas as im backing off and hooks a hard right turn not even 30ft in front of me. It was so damn close he covered our boat in water from his drive. I was shocked this idiot did this being an older guy. I followed him to the no wake zone and went off on him. He thought it was funny and could not understand why I was so pissed. What the hell is the matter with some of these morons on the water?? He could have killed someone.

MBlaster
08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Chit like this just frys my ass.
F-ing morons

Say10
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
I would not consider myself an expert boater. Somewhat a novice actually. Slow moving still f's with me ...Like docking or mooring up to another boat still makes my starfish pucker a bit. But I always compensate with a slower speed. But as everybody knows it is a pissing contest between guys. Bigger Faster Stronger.... :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

RitcheyRch
08-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I hate docking. Dont think will ever get used to it.
I would not consider myself an expert boater. Somewhat a novice actually. Slow moving still f's with me ...Like docking or mooring up to another boat still makes my starfish pucker a bit. But I always compensate with a slower speed. But as everybody knows it is a pissing contest between guys. Bigger Faster Stronger.... :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Say10
08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I bail and let my wife put the boat on the trailer....I have to say she is damb go at it too....Which works because she sucks at backing the trailer into the water...

Not So Fast
08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
WTF, how did a thread about an all too common dangerous situation turn into a boat and trailering thread :yuk: NSF

blown dough
08-07-2006, 07:47 PM
WTF, how did a thread about an all too common dangerous situation turn into a boat and trailering thread :yuk: NSF
I was paying attention.

bruddah
08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
this has also happened to me in the same spot as you nsf. me being in a 21' puts me at a slower speed than a lot of boats through that area since the water gets so much rougher and i usually have a pretty full boat. last year two 38' fountains that were racing down river came flying by us at about 60-70 around the corner sandwiching me between them as they were prob 30 ft. from me on each side. wish i couldve caught up but they were gone before i could get into smooth enough water to open her up. if only people had some respect for those who cant go as fast or actually follow the rules! :crossx:

Daytona100
08-07-2006, 08:18 PM
You cant buy common sense!!!!!!!!!!

HocusPocus
08-07-2006, 08:28 PM
so its not just the PWC's that are problems. :) :)

GUGS102
08-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I was not going to put this on here but I think its too important to skip so here goes.
Leaving the sandbar Friday afternoon I was approaching the big left turn to go back to Havasu when I noticed a 30 ft + Daytona making the turn way wide at about 60mph. At first I thought he may have lost his steering because he was headed for the shore, I moved over to my right as far as I could and now he is headed for ME. I slow to a stop and this ASSHOLE passes me on my right in between me and the shore which was about 50 ft or less away. Had I continued to move to the right I really think we would have collided. If I had gone against the rules of the road and steered to the left and this jackoff made the right move to pass me on his left then we would be mirroing each other and probably another collision with me being at fault in this case. It was too close for me and I tried to get his attention with a one finger salute in hope that he would turn around but no such luck. I'm a short little old man but in this case :mad:
Why is it the rules of the road are so hard for some boaters to understand???
We have had many similar situations, the only thing we can gather from this was that years ago there were fewer boaters for one and secondly a boat moving above 70 was a site to see. Combine that with a mine is bigger than yours and generally a laze fair(sp) attitude and you are asking for problems.
I grew up around the water, taught to drive 360* around me. Head on/collision awareness was always drilled into me. I learned to pick a water spot on the windscreen and if the other water craft did not switch spots we were in a collision course.
More and more often we hear of problems, and the usual response from the other party is "Why are you so upset" this really pisses me off.
The other issue is general boating etiquette(sp). There is proper behavior for all activites in life, it just seems that no one pays attention to the behavior on the water...

DMOORE
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM
We were heading up river just North of Martinez. I was on the right hand side of the river, about 10ft off the reeds. Some a-hole in a deck boat FULL of people comes down the river wide open ,cuts across my bow and passes between me and the reeds!!!! The guy actually has the nerve to throw his hand up in the air as to say " get the F#^% out of my way". Needless to say, I couldn't believe it. Total IDIOT. Could have easily killed someone.
Darrell.

Cheap Thrills
08-07-2006, 09:49 PM
A 12 Guage flare gun shot across their bow usually gets their attention. if you can't place it across the bow a shot into their engine hatch works well at slowing them down enough to catch up with them so you can TCOB :crossx:
C.T. :wink:

Not So Fast
08-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Over the 4th of July we went drove down to the Parker strip just for something to do. Our family used to have a place at Moon Ridge so thats were we would hang 25 years ago. We parked the car on some overlooks of the river in various spots like just below the dam, Fox's, Badenochs etc. and I gotta tell you that you guys that boat down there are brave souls and must know how to manuver your boats around obstacles (other boats, PWC's, floaters) pretty well. I dont know how there are not more headons on that strip of water, it scared the crap out of me. It didnt appear that there were any rules of the road, people were going every which way!! It loooked like a slalom course. And by the old Sundance (is that what it is still called) the water looked like a big washing machine, I mean really rough. I guess it's just too many boats on a narrow body of water. Back in the day it was great but now ??????? Lets be safe out there and remember "RULES OF THE ROAD", pretty simple solution for most situations. Peace, NSF

jbone
08-08-2006, 04:48 AM
We were heading up river just North of Martinez. I was on the right hand side of the river, about 10ft off the reeds. Some a-hole in a deck boat FULL of people comes down the river wide open ,cuts across my bow and passes between me and the reeds!!!! The guy actually has the nerve to throw his hand up in the air as to say " get the F#^% out of my way". Needless to say, I couldn't believe it. Total IDIOT. Could have easily killed someone.
Darrell.
We go to that area all the time. In-fact, we'll be there this weekend.
But that area has lots of shallow areas, and as you know many I/O's have to zig zag the river, and stay on plane to keep deep enough. I've seen many do what you describe.
When I had my I/O, I always had to stay within feet of the reeds. Sometimes when hugging the left side coming down river, I would approach oncoming boats coming up river. Generally, I would slow to about 25-30, but stay on plane and hope the other boat would pass, on my right. (I know that is wrong). But, many times I gave way and moved to the right and ended up stuck on a bar.
Now I've got a jet. So like the name of my boat, "No Worries."
J

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 05:26 AM
Gonna have to try and teach the gf to back the trailer up. She wants to learn which is good. I know she tried years ago when she was married but the ex-hubby screamed and yelled at her so she gave up.
I bail and let my wife put the boat on the trailer....I have to say she is damb go at it too....Which works because she sucks at backing the trailer into the water...
Not sure......LMAO
WTF, how did a thread about an all too common dangerous situation turn into a boat and trailering thread NSF

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Beginning to think a lot of the new boaters need to read the DMV Handbook about boating.

superduty
08-08-2006, 05:45 AM
I've had the exact same thing happen with the family onboard and end up just like you, throwing the one fingerd sallute and try to not let it change my mood too much. I will move right untill I feel the other A-hole just isn't paying enough attention and before it gets too threatening I will back out of the throttle but keep her in drive and come off plain waiting to see if the dumass has figured it out yet. Just not worth pushing the I'm in the right issue if you know what I mean. The Coast Guard teaches you that if your feeling like your on a collision course with another vessel that the vessel on the right has the rightaway and the vessel on the left has to make a course correction but if this doesn't happen then you are to make a very noticable course deveation 90deg. to the right so that their is no mistake and you don't end up making the same correction. This isn't always so easy when your navigating on the river so going right then shutting her down is what I do to extinguish the potential devistation. Too many people out their have no clue what the hell their doing and think it's funny to get too close. We used to have a saying when I taught scuba that don't expect a stupid person on the surface to get any smarter when you take them underwater. I guess the same can apply to boating. :220v:

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Thinking might read the DMV handbook one more time this week just to refresh my memory.

XTRM22
08-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I had something similar happen at Mead Saturday. We were heading back in for the day and this jack ass in an older 29 Fountain came up really close on my left. Mind you I had my 9yr old nephew with us. He was taunting as if he was trying to race or something. He then hits the gas as im backing off and hooks a hard right turn not even 30ft in front of me. It was so damn close he covered our boat in water from his drive. I was shocked this idiot did this being an older guy. I followed him to the no wake zone and went off on him. He thought it was funny and could not understand why I was so pissed. What the hell is the matter with some of these morons on the water?? He could have killed someone.
Hmm a similar incident on Pleasant a few years back ended up with the driver of the offending boat and his 2 passengers getting their @$$ kicked back at the ramp. More people in boating need to be educated either the easy way or the hard way. I hat that corner by the sandbar, most people take it to fast and to wide.
Chuck

bohica
08-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Most boaters see the brownish color of the water on the inside of that turn right before the sandbar heading upriver. You will see most people taking the turn really wide where the water is deeper. Doing so puts them on a head on course with someone coming down river. Makes for a very dangerous situation.

cactusgolfcarts
08-08-2006, 06:36 AM
That same jackass did exactly the same thing to us early Saturday afternoon. Lucky the wife talked me out of chasing him down. It's scary what some people think is funny.

pixrthis
08-08-2006, 07:00 AM
It's hard to believe how many people who are out boating these days don't know or choose not to follow the basic laws of boating. It's a good thing there aren't a lot of waterskiers anymore, people would be getting run over all the time.
Try waving somebody down for help now days and you'd be lucky if you could get one of the first five to stop for help. It wasn't that long ago that people stopped to make sure things were all right even when your weren't waving them down.
This is frustrating at a time thats supposed to be relaxing, happy to hear you and your family are ok.

Not So Fast
08-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Most boaters see the brownish color of the water on the inside of that turn right before the sandbar heading upriver. You will see most people taking the turn really wide where the water is deeper. Doing so puts them on a head on course with someone coming down river. Makes for a very dangerous situation.
Yep, you are right Bohica but this guy was WAY too wide by a long shot. It really scared me, all I could see was a very bad accident about to happen through no fault of mine, AND WHY, because another HB'er (after all it was a nice looking Daytona so I'll be nice and call him that instead of STUPID MOTHER F----ER) dosent have the sense between right and wrong. RexOne is right on about regulation coming if we all dont wise up. I'll bet this was about the same situation when the Advantage & Eliminator collided about a month ago and how many were killed or seriously hurt in that one.
Love your handle BTW, never knew what it meant until I read Richard Marcinko's book "Rogue Warrior" series about Seal Team Six. NSF

voodoomedman
08-08-2006, 07:08 AM
That's still no excuse. As your taking the turn wide you can see everything coming. I take it wide to avoid any shallow spots but I keep my minimum 50 feet or more away from oncoming boats if possible. Keep eye contact and signal if need be.

2Driver
08-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Over the 4th of July we went drove down to the Parker strip just for something to do. Our family used to have a place at Moon Ridge so thats were we would hang 25 years ago. We parked the car on some overlooks of the river in various spots like just below the dam, Fox's, Badenochs etc. and I gotta tell you that you guys that boat down there are brave souls NSF
Sounds like you did the right thing up river. Shut it down and let the A-hole go around. I was going to mention the river. We too have been former owners and going to Moonridge for over 21 years. The big issue I have down there is boaters who do not understand the obstacles. Just below Moonridge past the glassy turn there is a very long rock bar making the river channel usable from center river to the Cali side. In this case far right going up river is center river.
We were coming up river last month staying as far right against the rock bar (which is center of river) as possible and here comes some SFB hauling ass down river heading bow to bow to me. Where do I go??? I waive him over to the Cali side and he looks at me like it's my first time at the river. He passes on my right going down river and runs over the rock bar. Unfortunately he makes it over the bar ONLY due to very high river conditions. I too shut it down and let him take his chosen path. Best move you can make in such close quarters assuming no traffic is behind you.
I've watched boaters run right up on that rock bar and come to a dead stop while we were floating in the area.

gmocnik
08-08-2006, 07:26 AM
As long as we are venting about stupid drivers....My pet peave is coming around the island at site six. People always cut that corner coming south and I have had several near missses with idiots (yes, and i have recognized many a "***boat" member, one of you got my single finger salute last weekend...) coming headon to me and turning inside toward the shore.
Follow the traffic pattern and stay on the Cali side until around the point.....

Starloans
08-08-2006, 07:55 AM
:220v:
Everytime I go on the lake/river at some point I'm pissed with other boaters. I have been putting my boat on the trailer before at the end of the day swearing I was going to sell it the next day and give up boating.
The rules of the road on the water ARE NOWHERE NEAR the same as DMV rules. For example, failure to keep a proper lookout, failure to sound a signal and failure to avoid an accident. Yes you can get into an accident and it will be the other persons fault and if LE determines you could have avoided the accident, you could also be cited or in the case of an accident, found at fault. I have a police report and screws in my hip to prove it. Luckly for me the other person was MORE at fault, OUI, than I was. I was found somewhat at fault because this asshole was driving his lice through the toolies down by martinez at 40 MPH and enters a side lake and t-bones me. I wasn't keeping a proper lookout. Yeah right. I maxed out his jetski insurance and boat insurance policies. The Imperial County SO idoit that was at the scene and filed the police report didn't even know North from South. When he drew the map for the police report he had North pointing South. So just remember if you do get into an accident and some rookie LE shows up and I wasn't your fault, you could still get hosed. Better to avoid the accident. Nothing against LE, just my experience.
If I were 18 years old I'm sure I would not be saying this but I'm 42. I think everyone on the water should pass a course, get a water license and have a copy of the Coast Guard Rules of Navagation on board. Those rules of navagation are used by most all merchant and military vessels in the world, inland and international. I bet most people on the water today have never heard of "red-right-returning". Performance boating is a dying breed. The examples in this thread are proof.
Ok, I guess I'm biased. I was Quatermaster of the watch and Master Helmsman in the Navy. I still don't like dangerous boaters.

Not So Fast
08-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Sounds like you did the right thing up river. Shut it down and let the A-hole go around. I was going to mention the river. We too have been former owners and going to Moonridge for over 21 years. The big issue I have down there is boaters who do not understand the obstacles. Just below Moonridge past the glassy turn there is a very long rock bar making the river channel usable from center river to the Cali side. In this case far right going up river is center river.
We were coming up river last month staying as far right against the rock bar (which is center of river) as possible and here comes some SFB hauling ass down river heading bow to bow to me. Where do I go??? I waive him over to the Cali side and he looks at me like it's my first time at the river. He passes on my right going down river and runs over the rock bar. Unfortunately he makes it over the bar ONLY due to very high river conditions. I too shut it down and let him take his chosen path. Best move you can make in such close quarters assuming no traffic is behind you.
I've watched boaters run right up on that rock bar and come to a dead stop while we were floating in the area.
2driver; I recognize the docks now that you mention you have a place there. Do you know the Durhams or the Browns, the Gersons. They are still there just really old now. NSF

2Driver
08-08-2006, 08:15 AM
2driver; I recognize the docks now that you mention you have a place there. Do you know the Durhams or the Browns, the Gersons. They are still there just really old now. NSF
Yes for sure. We hung out at the Ristows for about 12 years (waterfront double next to Connie Colet) and shared the cabana with Gersons. We had the real big Chesapeake Bay retreiver. We were always at the Ristows until we bought our place there. We bought the Bewinners (sp?) place in Moonridge II when they built in Moonridge I. I was Vp of the HO for a short while. Funny, I bet we have shared a beer somewhere along the lines. We have been recently looking at places in Moonridge I but who knows. I'm fickle.
How this pick for old time sake..circa 1985
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2789File0059-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2789File0060-med.jpg

Not So Fast
08-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Wow, my wifes fathers name is Risto and we had the 2 side by side trailers joined at the top of the culdesac behind Durhams, I think somebody named Bighead bought it years ago. Are the Patradas still there also. Small world for sure. How is Dan doing, not too good I hear, shame, GREAT guy and stories like no other. NSF (Bobby)

2Driver
08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Wow, my wifes fathers name is Risto and we had the 2 side by side trailers joined at the top of the culdesac behind Durhams, I think somebody named Bighead bought it years ago. Are the Patradas still there also. Small world for sure. How is Dan doing, not too good I hear, shame, GREAT guy and stories like no other. NSF (Bobby)
Bigheads had waterfront in that Culdesac. Joan did our taxes from 1985 on. I'm not in touch as I used to since we sold out place. Blackcloud here on HB is an original Moonriger. He has all the latest.

DMOORE
08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
We go to that area all the time. In-fact, we'll be there this weekend.
But that area has lots of shallow areas, and as you know many I/O's have to zig zag the river, and stay on plane to keep deep enough. I've seen many do what you describe.
When I had my I/O, I always had to stay within feet of the reeds. Sometimes when hugging the left side coming down river, I would approach oncoming boats coming up river. Generally, I would slow to about 25-30, but stay on plane and hope the other boat would pass, on my right. (I know that is wrong). But, many times I gave way and moved to the right and ended up stuck on a bar.
Now I've got a jet. So like the name of my boat, "No Worries."
J
I can understand when people are hugging the reeds. No problem with that at all, regardless of which side they are on. The problem with this idiot is that I was just off the reeds and he decided to cut from the center of the river across my bow and force his way between me and the reeds. VERY dangerous. When he started to move from the center of the river I thought he would pass me to the port side, I just could not believe he shot across my bow. If i hadn't yanked the wheel to port, we would have hit.
Darrell.

bohica
08-08-2006, 10:01 AM
What I don't get is why do people think that they need to trim their boat to the moon and go WFO when going across these shallow areas. Just keep the boat on plane and trim up. If I'm gonna hit bottom, I'd much rather take my chances at 20-30 mph than WFO.

jjfosterj
08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Are there any rules just take a ride from the Sand bar to the Dam on a weekend. Last time I went out I had a boat come flying out of a cove and cross the lake right in front of me or hit that spot just south of Steam boat the narrow turn all the tubers hug the cliff side going south so if your heading north and stay to the right you on a head on course on a blind curve or how about all the boaters the plug up the launch ramp at Windsor they back their boat and park just past the Doc sometimes I feel I have to thread needle to get out on the lake. Or how many time have you had someone on a head on course and they seem to follow your every move I just stop F%#@ it I’m not in that much of a hurry. Next time I’ll take my paintball gun so everyone can look out for the asshole with red blotches of paint allover their boat. :crossx: :crossx:

Deano
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
(yes, and i have recognized many a "***boat" member, one of you got my single finger salute last weekend...) coming headon to me and turning inside toward the shore.
:idea: :idea: :confused:

jbone
08-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Are there any rules just take a ride from the Sand bar to the Dam on a weekend. Last time I went out I had a boat come flying out of a cove and cross the lake right in front of me or hit that spot just south of Steam boat the narrow turn all the tubers hug the cliff side going south so if your heading north and stay to the right you on a head on course on a blind curve or how about all the boaters the plug up the launch ramp at Windsor they back their boat and park just past the Doc sometimes I feel I have to thread needle to get out on the lake. Or how many time have you had someone on a head on course and they seem to follow your every move I just stop F%#@ it I’m not in that much of a hurry. Next time I’ll take my paintball gun so everyone can look out for the asshole with red blotches of paint allover their boat. :crossx: :crossx:
How about a couple of periods and commas? :idea:
J

DCBDaytona
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Money DOES Not buy common sense. :mad:
I have a BS story too from around the Sand Bar... Whoever owns the baby blue/black F-26 needs to learn how to drive. I was cruisin' and he passed me within 10 feet and soaked the crap out of us. I think he took the turn too wide and almost went right into us.

Debbolas
08-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Something like that can really ruin your day on the water....Drive like you're invisible and WATCH everone! :crossx: :skull:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
WTF, how did a thread about an all too common dangerous situation turn into a family reunion thread :yuk: JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollside:

MrsSigEpMock
08-08-2006, 12:55 PM
It's amazing that it is scarier to boat than it is to drive on a freeway around here. :220v: No wonder Insurance is so $$$$.
I really support the Boating License. Safety is not an incovienence, and should be taken seriously. If the boaters out there knew the rules, I really feel that there would be less regulation on places like the sandbar, gorge, etc. There would be less acidents due to knowledgeable boating instead of due to restricted boating. :rolleyes: Teach stupid people to make the correct decision, instead of taking the decision away from everyone.
More $$$ than brains is a bad combination anywhere, especially on water! :crossx:

jjfosterj
08-08-2006, 01:45 PM
How about a couple of periods and commas? :idea:
J
I see 2. :) my post are going to look like shit utill I can SLEEP!!!!!
I have a grumpy new born, give 6 months or so......

Not So Fast
08-08-2006, 01:58 PM
WTF, how did a thread about an all too common dangerous situation turn into a family reunion thread :yuk: JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollside:
Ok, OK you got me on that one :D :D NSF

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Ok, OK you got me on that one :D :D NSF
LOL! Just messing with ya! :rollside: :D

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Just to clarify, just in case, I know how you guys think, IT WAS NOT ME :rollside: I always turn around when I get the finger. LOL

HM
08-08-2006, 02:21 PM
http://www.mpi.mb.ca/Images/WFPColumn/HeadOn.gif

Not So Fast
08-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Just to clarify, just in case, I know how you guys think, IT WAS NOT ME :rollside: I always turn around when I get the finger. LOL
I would have known you because Bill H. lives behind me and I knew the boat well :) NSF

HM
08-08-2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.captainconnection.com/head1.gif

HM
08-08-2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.alittlemoretotheright.com/images/baddive.jpg

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.captainconnection.com/head1.gif
What the heck does "one short blast" mean??

gmocnik
08-08-2006, 02:32 PM
mike....my "near miss" happened before noon. we all know you are still in bed at that time......
gm

2Driver
08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
You are kidding right?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
You are kidding right?
No I am not kidding. :rolleyes:
Ok, I just called my husband to explain it to me and never in my years on the river have I ever seen this.

ratso
08-08-2006, 03:01 PM
lol... :rollside:

HM
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I think they are referring to how many passes you get on your Stoker before blowing your outdrive. :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I think they are referring to how many passes you get on your Stoker before blowing your outdrive. :D
Just for you information Mr. Smarty Pants, our outdrive is just fine. Maybe if you said how many passes our Stoker gets before a blower belt breaks, maybe, but not the outdrive. :D

2Driver
08-08-2006, 03:07 PM
It means have a really really really good time but make it quick. :rollside:
Serioulsy it means a quick tap on the horn. Blast refers to it most likley being an air type boat horn hence, "blast".

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
It means have a really really really good time but make it quick. :rollside:
Serioulsy it means a quick tap on the horn. Blast refers to it most likley being an air type boat horn hence, "blast".
Ok, that is what my husband told me but like I said, I have never ever heard or seen someone do that on the river..... :confused:

2Driver
08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
I am sure 60% of the boaters on the river would fail a basic boat test.
Here's another one for head-on conversation.
What colors of bow lights are supposed to pass each other at night?
red to green, green to green, green to red or red to red?

riverbound
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok, that is what my husband told me but like I said, I have never ever heard or seen someone do that on the river..... :confused:
I fart a little every time I pass a boat Port to Port. I thought thats what they meant by "blast" :D

Jyruiz
08-08-2006, 03:49 PM
That bend getting to the sandbar is scary, one reason I really don't go over there on the weekends. With people drinking there and showing off there high dollar boats, it's just a matter of time before something happens.

uvindex
08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Ok, that is what my husband told me but like I said, I have never ever heard or seen someone do that on the river..... :confused:That's cause people don't do it on the river. :) Yes, this is a real navigation rule and yes, there are waterways where this rule is followed rigorously (especially where there's a lot of commercial vessel traffic).
It always cracks me up to imagine people even attempting to use the audible navigation signals on Havasu. Imagine two boats, each going 80MPH approaching from opposite directions (for a closing speed of 160MPH). Unless the boats had train horns, nobody would even hear anything over the engine and wind noise in the first place. By the time the first vessel gave a short blast, they would have long passed each other. :) Multiply this by the fact that there are sometimes 10 or 20 boats going each direction and think what it would be like if they were all blowing their horns to communicate their intentions.

bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 04:11 PM
hell, i thought short blast ment whack the throttle :idea:

chub
08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
hell, i thought short blast ment whack the throttle :idea:
It must be a STOKER thing bro! :p

Not So Fast
08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
I am sure 60% of the boaters on the river would fail a basic boat test.
Here's another one for head-on conversation.
What colors of bow lights are supposed to pass each other at night?
red to green, green to green, green to red or red to red?
Red to Red :confused: NSF Red is port side right???

bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 05:09 PM
It must be a STOKER thing bro! :p
yeah.....
for the record i'm TOTALLY joking. i know some up tight goon is gonna come fry me,lol.

Ziggy
08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Honestly, that corner by the sandbar should get the no wake bouys before Devils elbow. I've seen WAY to many stupid manuevers there....The northbounders are in a hurry to get there "In Style".........and the inebrated boneheads leaving want to leave "In Style"....I use extreme caution and awareness in that area.
Use to be that boaters would signal by hand they see an approaching boat, I still do that to some extent especially to boaters with skiers down.....I can see panic in these folks and then relief when I acknowledge their skiers presense.
Wide berth is my MO.....and expect the unexpected move by others because the syndrome of "mines bigger and better than yours" has run rampet

Rexone
08-08-2006, 05:40 PM
http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/100_6097.jpg

Not So Fast
08-08-2006, 06:39 PM
http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/100_6097.jpg
I'll bet their zero's are holding onto that vinyl seat right about now. NSF

laveydayz
08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
That same jackass did exactly the same thing to us early Saturday afternoon. Lucky the wife talked me out of chasing him down. It's scary what some people think is funny.
I guess he is at Mead allot. My buddies who live up there have said he is always f----- with people. Im sure we will see him again. At the rate he is going, should only be a matter of time before he hurts some innocent person.

cactusgolfcarts
08-09-2006, 06:47 AM
I guess he is at Mead allot. My buddies who live up there have said he is always f----- with people. Im sure we will see him again. At the rate he is going, should only be a matter of time before he hurts some innocent person.
That was our first time on Mead. Had a fantastic time, except for that idiot, and saw almost the entire lake in two days.

jxr02
08-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I have to tell you, I've had a go fast for about 6 years now. I boat on lake Lanier north of Atlanta. The majority of the time I see a "performance boater" being a total idiot, he is at the helm of a Fountain.
BTW, not all Fountain owners are idiots, but really what is it about those boats that bring out the 16 yr old kid in grown men?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
mike....my "near miss" happened before noon. we all know you are still in bed at that time......
gm
With the way your wife makes drinks!!! Yee Haa!!

Rexone
08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I have to tell you, I've had a go fast for about 6 years now. I boat on lake Lanier north of Atlanta. The majority of the time I see a "performance boater" being a total idiot, he is at the helm of a Fountain.
BTW, not all Fountain owners are idiots, but really what is it about those boats that bring out the 16 yr old kid in grown men?
Could be gold medallion syndrome.

missspent
08-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Might have happened to us last summer, headed home getting ready to round the corner and the wife goes, "why you hugging the side?" I reply, "ya' never know what's coming round the bend!" Sure Nuff...big boat pulling the power comes around the corner going North and he starts drifting and I start making like a snake in the reeds. He straightens it out...but. I'm for fun and all but what about smarts. We are a bit older with a smaller boat than most and all that Navy "mind your helm and keep a 360 going" is bolted to my brain. I also worry about the folks coming up behind me headed back from Steamboat. Navy fun...22hundred ton destroyer...all ahead flank with high speed screws...we pulled 42kt in a smooth sea off San Deigo. Nice rooster tail then flip a couple of hedge hogs off the back...Wow! Always an adventure to pull along side the Kittyhawk for fuel...had a great skipper...could put us along side with a couple of bells. Anyway, check your six as well...if your one of the little guys!

Beer-30
08-09-2006, 03:44 PM
After stopping to see if he was turning around; I would pop open a new beer, shot-gun it, and jump in the water to clean my shorts. :)