PDA

View Full Version : DirecTv HD DVR

Riverkid
08-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Well, we killed another one... That makes four now :mad: Anybody have the newer Verizon FIOS service? I was going to do it for the internet and now I'm thinking I'll chuck this DTV crap too if they have a nice program setup. We have several HD TV's I'd like to connect.
Did I mention the new Maxent LCD TV in the girl's room (about thirty hours use) has three big green vertical bars across the left half of the screen?
My home electronics are starting to be a real PIA... :skull:

Trailer Park Casanova
08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
We're HD here, but are sticking with HD cable until the Sat folks get it de-fux'd.
Sports are sooo excellent on HD.

Riverkid
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Sports are sooo excellent on HD.
Yes, they are. Not so much when the TV doesn't work though! :mad:

Nord
08-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, we killed another one... That makes four now :mad: Anybody have the newer Verizon FIOS service? I was going to do it for the internet and now I'm thinking I'll chuck this DTV crap too if they have a nice program setup. We have several HD TV's I'd like to connect.
Did I mention the new Maxent LCD TV in the girl's room (about thirty hours use) has three big green vertical bars across the left half of the screen?
My home electronics are starting to be a real PIA... :skull:
I'd take that T.V back!! 30 hours, I know that T.V isn't cheap....F*ck that

Jesster
08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey Bob,
I talked to Verizon about FIOS TV last week. They said it's coming but they have to wait for I believe county authorization to do it. Check out Broadband reports (http://www.dslreports.com) do a search on FIOS lotsa info. I did some checking on the TV part a while back and they are going to be able to offer some awesome sh$t. The almost unlimited bandwidth will be the so called nail for Sat and cable. The people I have talked with that have FIOS couldn’t be happier but it seems like I read some stuff about some problems with exchange servers or stuff for business owners who would need to open certain ports to conduct day to day business. May not affect you but since you are a business owner I just thought I would bring it up. We have been having some E problems ourselves gotta take the Denon receiver in for repairs from electrical surges. I have a nice surge suppressor but it seems to have gotten through. Maybe Ill get a line conditioner and see if it helps. Luckily the receiver is under warranty I just make sure I never say anything about power outages or surges. Later

Riverkid
08-07-2006, 07:23 PM
That's good news. We have a high dollar Monster dealio but the power around here has been so crappy lately who knows? The TV thing is really pissing me off. Just built it in... I'm getting tired of the two hour phone call with multiple DTV techs just to get the HD box returned/warrantied. Every one they send lasts just a bit less. This last one went seven months.
We have an off site hosted server with a dedicated T1 for work so we are good there!
Oh, and now the pool salt water controller is getting all screwy, too. :mad:

Jesster
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Talk to Dave he has Dish and their high end HD dvr. I dont think he has any problems but the drawback is no NFL Sunday ticket. I have had both the DTV and Dish and that was the only real difference then, but now dish bought VOOM and has the most HD channels of all the providers I believe. I could be wrong on the most hd channels though. I think they have 15 HD channels plus all the other HD movie channels and sports but again no NFL ST.
Dave is having some pool/heater/water issues as well.

h2oski2fast
08-07-2006, 08:23 PM
That's good news. We have a high dollar Monster dealio but the power around here has been so crappy lately who knows? The TV thing is really pissing me off. Just built it in... I'm getting tired of the two hour phone call with multiple DTV techs just to get the HD box returned/warrantied. Every one they send lasts just a bit less. This last one went seven months.
We have an off site hosted server with a dedicated T1 for work so we are good there!
Oh, and now the pool salt water controller is getting all screwy, too. :mad:
Some people just shouldn't own high tech stuff. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
Last thursday my DTV DVR went bad and only after 3-4 months.

H20 Toie
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
if your frying that much stuff you need to check your power and grounds

sam pioske
08-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Dish has 29 channels + locals, pushing 40 in my area. ESPN carrying Thurs. Fri. Sat. Sun. Mon. in HD Just hope they carry my team! DTV may have bought the farm after ESPN did that ! Bill $ for thier NFL deal, OUCH.

DeeCandyBar
08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
i'm always amazed at how a few people have nothing but problems with technology that millions of others seem to enjoy. i won't blame it on the few complainers but it does make you wonder.
maybe you need a black and white tv with a set of rabbit ear antenna

Cheap Thrills
08-07-2006, 10:05 PM
At the rate you're going through equiptment ,one of these would pay for itself in a month.
Power Line Conditioners (http://www.elect-spec.com/klr_z.htm)
http://www.elect-spec.com/klr_fdax5aa.jpg
C.T. :wink:

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Definitely check the power lines. Sounds like you getting spikes in the current which will fry equipment and fast.