PDA

View Full Version : cleaning out the block

kachina_labala
08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
I think that my block may be full of sand. I want to pull the brass freeze plugs and clean out the engine. What is the best way to get out the freeze plugs with the engine in the boat? (i will take off the headers for access).

YeLLowBoaT
08-07-2006, 08:49 PM
you might want to look for a skrew in plug 1st. If you don't have one just take a socket place it on the freeze plug and tap the freeze plug in with a hammer..( it will deform allowing you to pull it out.)

shaun
08-07-2006, 11:26 PM
i just took a socket extention put it on one side of the freeze plug and nailed it with a hammer. It causes the freeze plug to turn sideways and you can pull it out with pliers or somthing.

centerhill condor
08-08-2006, 03:01 AM
I had sand/gravel in my block and removed the drain out plugs with the engine running... got a bunch of stuff out and didn't have to remove the freeze plugs which sounds like a lot of work! also, you could run the motor with out the thermostat.

kachina_labala
08-08-2006, 05:06 AM
thankyou so much for the quick replys. I will have the headers off to replace the exhaust hose and I have a heat problem so I figured its the best time to make sure the block isint plugged.

jbone
08-08-2006, 05:56 AM
I've only done it with the heads off. You'll be surprised at how much sand gets stuck in their. I've taken out enough sand to fill 2 1 gal milk jugs. On both banks, the to back cylinders are almost completely surounded by sand.
While the engine was out last time, I put in the expandable rubber plugs. I'll clean the block out at the end of each season.
J

kachina_labala
08-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Well, I got them out. What a bitch that was. My block was full of cottage cheese sewage smelling mud. Also my lightning header water supply manifold was plugged too. I recomend if you have lightning headers You should pull the plugs / drain valves out of the end of the supply manifold and run a rod down them to clean them out at least once a year. I always drain my headers and motor down for storage but it didnt seem to keep this from happening. I will be putting rubber freeze plugs back in so I can easily clean the block.

kachina_labala
08-10-2006, 08:05 AM
My brother just fessed up to getting the boat stuck in the mud when he borrowed it. He made an attempt to clean everything out. He said he ran water through it untill no mud came out. :mad: .

Aluminum Squirt
08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Clean regularly if you have the rubber plugs (hopefully you are using a pressure bypass or regulator so the plugs don't come out at an inconvenient time) or build/buy a sand trap or sea strainer. We had a pretty good discussion about maybe building one on here awhile ago. There were some good ideas, I have a few of my own, I'm just not a very good fabrication guy-Aluminum Squirt